• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

geek gaf - figure models

Status
Not open for further replies.

cajunator

Banned
I am of the opinion that (as long as you dont overdo it beyond your means) if you find a holy grail item you must own, its best to just go ahead and order it before it goes up hundreds of dollars when its out of print and you regret it for the rest of your life. Enjoy life. you work your ass off to get where you are so buy things that make you enjoy it more.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
I am of the opinion that (as long as you dont overdo it beyond your means) if you find a holy grail item you must own, its best to just go ahead and order it before it goes up hundreds of dollars when its out of print and you regret it for the rest of your life. Enjoy life. you work your ass off to get where you are so buy things that make you enjoy it more.

I love the way you think.

I'll be honest though, I was far-gone long before I found this thread XD

But yeah the Aruruu/Eruruu figures, that's yall fault for making me aware.

Speaking of influences, I just bought that Ui that you linked me to in the anime thread. I simply had to have her, even at the expense (for now) of Nodoka.

sca2511

Finally had a chance to see the figure at SacAnime over the weekend. No wonder why the shipping for the figure is so damn expensive....

I was just there for Friday and Saturday. After I got my torn box Dizzy, saw Ultimate Madoka, then wanted to see it again on Saturday and I believe it was gone.

Picked up Lisa Silverman on eBay for $65, seller just didn't want to have it anymore. Also pre-ordered Sigrid of the Thorn. Are the METAL BUILD series of Gundam good buys?

I was just there for Friday and Saturday. Saw Ultimate Madoka, then wanted to see it again on Saturday and I believe it was gone.

Picked up Lisa Silverman on eBay for $65, seller just didn't want to have it anymore. Also pre-ordered Sigrid of the Thorn. Are the METAL BUILD series of Gundam good buys?

Didn't miss much on Sunday. All that was really there for normal attendees were a few chance opportunities to get last minute autographs from the guests.

Things look promising for their fall con though since Nolan North is going to be there!

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Nope. at least not on Hobby Search.
It was worth the cost though. most beautiful figure I have and that includes Momohime.

I've looked at some pictures and even I'd be tempted to get it.

But it's one thing for my family to see me receive a Nendoroid. I think it's a bit soon to suddenly be ordering something as big as UM.

CPHrC.jpg

sca2511

Didn't miss much on Sunday. All that was really there for normal attendees were a few chance opportunities to get last minute autographs from the guests.

Things look promising for their fall con though since Nolan North is going to be there!

I've been going consistently for the last 2 years or so. I might go to the next one, but maybe for only a day, since I'm usually there to look at the merchandise/artist alley and maybe a few signings. I'll be going to Sac Con for sure though, GF and I love Adventure Time and saw that the voice of Jake The Dog will be attending.

The problem here is being at home. To be frank they'd probably just be a little surprised but other than that not give a damn.

My problem would be where to put it.

Same problem here. Just that box is friggin' enormous! I would certainly buy her if I could solve the display problem.

Same problem here. Just that box is friggin' enormous! I would certainly buy her if I could solve the display problem.

How does everyone display their figures? I personally bought a display cabinet from IKEA a few years back and it's working fine for me. Granted, I have like no space left for anything so I just rotate......

How does everyone display their figures? I personally bought a display cabinet from IKEA a few years back and it's working fine for me. Granted, I have like no space left for anything so I just rotate......

Is it a Detolf, by any chance? I've wanted one but it'll be tough to get home and I'm not paying their ridiculous shipping charges. Right now I'm using bookcases and wall shelves.

fmpanda

The problem here is being at home. To be frank they'd probably just be a little surprised but other than that not give a damn.

My problem would be where to put it.

The scale of that figurine is pretty crazy, worth the price tag, unfortunately, it's new phone time for me.

sca2511

GF bought me a bookshelf from IKEA for Christmas, going to display my figures on there. Was thinking of getting the all glass display from IKEA, but I'll wait till I have a bigger place.

Artanisix

Man, I love the look of unpainted prototypes, probably moreso than the finished models!
They just look so clean and cool, statuesque...

195121490_8ad7a49f9e_o.jpg

Me too man. I wish unpainted figures were easier to come by (although I guess it isn't that hard to just coat them in a super sculpey firm grey paint).

Is it a Detolf, by any chance? I've wanted one but it'll be tough to get home and I'm not paying their ridiculous shipping charges. Right now I'm using bookcases and wall shelves.

No, I'm using the Hemnes:

hemnes-glass-door-cabinet__0104048_PE250698_S4.JPG

Only bad thing about it is that it has a border around the glass, but it does its job in keeping my figures dust free. My friend has a few Detolfs, but you can't display a whole lot of figures in just one. You would need multiple.

....and yes, the joys of having an IKEA within 25 minutes driving :).

meijiko

there is an ikea close by ish but they don't carry detolf according to their site. Shipping for one is 99 dollars.... wtf

It's a really heavy thing, so shipping isn't all that unreasonable. And their shipping is $100 for pretty much any order, so it's better to order multiple things if you have to go through their website.

MCD

Custom cabinets are the best but whatever you choose, please use weather/dust stripping because FUCK DUST.

LadyRiven

tumblr_lt871eMDXN1r3wauko1_500_zpsbcd92ff0.gif

You, good sir, are my hero.

Beth Cyra

GIFT's Homura? I'm pretty excited for her too. I love Toda Satoshi's sculptures especially!
Yeah, she looks amazing. I know a few people who didn't like the face sculpt but I fell in love with it the second I laid eyes on her. A sharper, more mature/aged Homura is a thing of beauty in my eyes.

meijiko

Yeah, she looks amazing. I know a few people who didn't like the face sculpt but I fell in love with it the second I laid eyes on her. A sharper, more mature/aged Homura is a thing of beauty in my eyes.

I passed on her because, after the full set of costumed nendos, figmas, and GSC scale figures, I can't handle any more Madoka. She does look nice, though.

LadyRiven

While a lot of people don't like the Gift Sabers that he sculpted, they're actually what motivated me to watch Fate/Stay Night in the first place. They're so detailed! Not that I don't like figures to look like they came straight out of the anime themselves, but I also really enjoy other artists' unique interpretations of popular characters. Because the character design styles of the Fate series and Madoka are fairly flat, it's a good opportunity to see what they'd look like if another artist had designed them. :)

sca2511

Reposting, anyone know if the METAL BUILD Gundam series are good buys? Was looking at some mechas and it caught my eye.

Beth Cyra

I passed on her because, after the full set of costumed nendos, figmas, and GSC scale figures, I can't handle any more Madoka. She does look nice, though.

In a way I got lucky because I find the majority of Madoka and it's characters to be complete garbage. I only got caught up in Homura, but considering that I'm able to skip the majority of Madoka releases and focus on only getting Homura stuff.

Reposting, anyone know if the METAL BUILD Gundam series are good buys? Was looking at some mechas and it caught my eye.

I don't own any of the Metal Builds (I don't care for any of the currently released Suits) but from all the Reviews I've watched they seem to be good figures. I got to say though given their prices I couldn't justify them unless they were the my favorite of my favorite gundams.

this whole figure thing is too expensive for me. I think after the tekken, sf, marvel, bishoujo line i'll be done for a bit.

Too bad those series aren't ending anytime soon.

Beth Cyra

this whole figure thing is too expensive for me. I think after the tekken, sf, marvel, bishoujo line i'll be done for a bit.

Too bad those series aren't ending anytime soon.

I haven't bought a single Bishoujo yet, I had hoped at the start of the line my first and last would be Batwoman, but I'm starting to doubt she will ever happen :(.

sca2511

I don't own any of the Metal Builds (I don't care for any of the currently released Suits) but from all the Reviews I've watched they seem to be good figures. I got to say though given their prices I couldn't justify them unless they were the my favorite of my favorite gundams.
What is your go-to brand/maker for Gundams? Been looking at some of Robot Damashii's stuff and I like them except that they're a bit small.

Beth Cyra

What is your go-to brand/maker for Gundams? Been looking at some of Robot Damashii's stuff and I like them except that they're a bit small.

Bandai really has the best quality per dollar when it comes to Gundam's.

The RD line is prety great, but as you mentioned they do tend to be a bit small. Thing is they aren't really in scale, but that works out in a way if you want to mix series suits. That and while they are smallish, they really aren't that bad and tend to be bigger then 1/144's for the the most part. The price is also fairly good for what they are, and so long as you stay away from Online Exclusives (Tallgeese II, Wing EW, OO Q) then they are pretty easy to get.

The thing is Figures just tend to be so expensive compared to the Models, and the majority of them tend to be on the smaller side. Gundam Fix Figurations, MSIA, and RD's all suffer from this. If you really need 1/100 size then Metal Build Figures are I guess a decent buy, but they don't come out very often and thus far have been limited to select series and when you take into account the price and everything that comes with them I can't imagine them ever doing anything that isn't really popular or a at least decently popular lead.

meijiko

Hmmm thought about it, but I already have the Koto Asuna on pre-order so I'm good. Is anyone planning to get the figma version?

Me. I'm kind of hooked on figmas/nendos, and I can't help but grab the ones from series I like.

I have the Kotobukiya static figure ordered, too. I'm really hoping they'll take a chance and make a Kirito one to go with her, but with male figures I know it's better to not hold my breath.

No, I'm using the Hemnes:

hemnes-glass-door-cabinet__0104048_PE250698_S4.JPG

Only bad thing about it is that it has a border around the glass, but it does its job in keeping my figures dust free. My friend has a few Detolfs, but you can't display a whole lot of figures in just one. You would need multiple.

....and yes, the joys of having an IKEA within 25 minutes driving :).

Going to have to look into that and see how big it is. Might be hard pressed to make that fit in my car too. I do like going to Ikea just to look around (I live pretty close to the one in College Park, MD) so I'll check it out. Might bite the bullet and rent a Uhaul or something if it comes down to it.

hayejin

I had two orders shipped from AmiAmi back in 12/22.

One order is stuck in SF customs for 6 days and other one is still no show since leaving Japan.

What can do I about customs holding onto package?

LiK

I had two orders shipped from AmiAmi back in 12/22.

One order is stuck in SF customs for 6 days and other one is still no show since leaving Japan.

What can do I about customs holding onto package?

Very little from what I know. I guess maybe there's a way to find out if you tried calling your local post office and see if they can help. I never had any issues with customs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom