• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Genderless dystopia comes to Eorzea (Final Fantasy 14)

D

Deleted member 20920

Unconfirmed Member
I can't wait until its legal everywhere so I never have to see this GIF again.

That will take a while. First America, then the rest of the world (countries where it is already legal notwithstanding).

DedValve

Banned
gay marraige in mah vidya games infecting mah children!!

Where will I relax now away from all the....the...*gulps* the gays?

It's probably quest-centric that rewards a unique ring you can't have multiples of. That would also go along with that blurb they mentioned about divorce=throwing the ring away.

What if you put the ring on your retainer? The number of people you marry might only be limited by the number of retainers you have!

Also if it were a ring that would suck unless you glamour your wedding ring over your usual gear ring.

Kenai

Is this marriage between players? I had always thought that stuff was all metagame.

It might be both, we only know of player/player for sure right now though.

What if you put the ring on your retainer? The number of people you marry might only be limited by the number of retainers you have!

Also if it were a ring that would suck unless you glamour your wedding ring over your usual gear ring.

I'm just second guessing here, but I distinctly remember that bit about throwing the ring away to divorce because i thought it was hilarious.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
It might be both, we only know of player/player for sure right now though.
That's interesting. I've never played an MMO enough to get into the mechanics, but what does that mean in game? Shared inventory? Shared bank? What happens if you get a "divorce"? Is there a pre-nup system?

Kenai

That's interesting. I've never played an MMO enough to get into the mechanics, but what does that mean in game? Shared inventory? Shared bank? What happens if you get a "divorce"? Is there a pre-nup system?

Lots of thing we don't know.

Now that i think about it I have never played an MMO with marriage options at all before so the sky could be the limit I guess.

Some perks to being married would be really nice and they could always expand upon them as they add more patches. Things like a shared inventory might be a logistical nightmare, especially if a divorce was as easy as tossing out your wedding ring, but maybe we could at least get extra exp/tomes for partying together? Maybe share a room/house? Married couple-specific quests/rewards beyond the initial wedding day stuff?

I don't want to expect too much and be disappointed though, there's so little confirmed right now...

firehawk12

Subete no aware
You. Me. Back of the school. 5 min. :mad:

You're terrible!
You tell me right now that this isn't true! lol

Lots of thing we don't know.

Now that i think about it I have never played an MMO with marriage options at all before so the sky could be the limit I guess.

Some perks to being married would be really nice and they could always expand upon them as they add more patches. Things like a shared inventory might be a logistical nightmare, especially if a divorce was as easy as tossing out your wedding ring, but maybe we could at least get extra exp/tomes for partying together? Maybe share a room/house? Married couple-specific quests/rewards beyond the initial wedding day stuff?

I don't want to expect too much and be disappointed though, there's so little confirmed right now...
Hrm, fair enough. Most of the time I read about marriage in games, it's like people doing it in WoW or Halo as sort of a metagame thing that has no connection to the game mechanics, so it would be interesting to see how it plays out.

At a point, marriage could just be a more "intimate" form of partying... and suddenly you have commentary on the fact that many marriages are born out of economic necessity rather than love. lol

Kenai

You tell me right now that this isn't true! lol

Hrm, fair enough. Most of the time I read about marriage in games, it's like people doing it in WoW or Halo as sort of a metagame thing that has no connection to the game mechanics, so it would be interesting to see how it plays out.

At a point, marriage could just be a more "intimate" form of partying... and suddenly you have commentary on the fact that many marriages are born out of economic necessity rather than love. lol

Yea, they technically had wedding-style gear in back in FF11 (for females only though) but everything else was totally roleplaying. Roleplaying style marriages have probably been around as long as MMOs have, but an actual marriage system built into the game like this is a pretty damn rare thing among MMOs so there's very little to base it off of expectation-wise regarding in-game "perks".

Another funny thing of note, but there are very few child NPCs in the game at all. I don't think I've ever see a Miq or Roe child, the only child Lala I remember seeing is the Sultana, and most children NPCs are quest related (like those hide-n-seek brats). So...yea, they could expand upon quite a few different things if they wanted.

Mupod

next step , a child system.

And everyone will go crazy with the possibilities.

jR6hhApAQJXtb.jpg

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Yea, they technically had wedding-style gear in back in FF11 (for females only though) but everything else was totally roleplaying. Roleplaying style marriages have probably been around as long as MMOs have, but an actual marriage system built into the game like this is a pretty damn rare thing among MMOs so there's very little to base it off of expectation-wise regarding in-game "perks.

Another funny thing of note, but there are very few child NPCs in the game at all. I don't think I've ever see a Miq or Roe child, the only child Lala I remember seeing is the Sultan, and most children NPCs are quest related (like those hide-n-seek brats). So...yea, they could expand upon quite a few different things if they wanted.

I wonder if you could make another player your child. At that point, a family basically becomes a mini-clan. I guess otherwise, children could be like pets... and then you'd need to have like custody agreements in case of divorce. Then you have to work in alimony payments and decide which player is the "earner" in the family.

I think I'm not interested in this because of all the wacky possibilities. I hope it's more than just something purely cosmetic anyway.

Kenai

I remember some of the stuff that went on in Goldshire and I really don't want to.

Way back in EQ I made a Wood Elf(?) female and hadn't been in the opening quests 5 min when I got sent tells asking if I wanted to cyber. My 25 Human Monk also got random "serious" in game marriage proposals (wtf?) and people got mad at me when I told them I was a guy irl.

I wonder if you could make another player your child. At that point, a family basically becomes a mini-clan. I guess otherwise, children could be like pets... and then you'd need to have like custody agreements in case of divorce. Then you have to work in alimony payments and decide which player is the "earner" in the family.

I think I'm not interested in this because of all the wacky possibilities. I hope it's more than just something purely cosmetic anyway.

I was hoping that if they ever did anything like that it'd go along the more fun route of Fable 2 regarding babymaking or Skyrim involving adoption. Nothing too serious but still fun. I gotta admit the potential for mixed-race kid characters sounds like a lot of fun too (assuming that's biologically possible, i really have no idea). Then again, it could be terrifying (like RP server Goldshire).

Kenai

But didn't they give gender to the analogue of the race that was previously genderless?

Galkas were genderless in 11, but Roes aren't Galkas. Inspired by them maybe, but not the same thing at all. Mithras were never genderless but you could only play as female ones because their lore said male ones were super rare and not allowed outside their homeland.

In 14 1.0 they still only had "male" Roes and female Miqs available to play but they never called them genderless/asexual/w/e.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I remember some of the stuff that went on in Goldshire and I really don't want to.

Way back in EQ I made a Wood Elf(?) female and hadn't been in the opening quests 5 min when I got sent tells asking if I wanted to cyber. My 25 Human Monk also got random "serious" in game marriage proposals (wtf?) and people got mad at me when I told them I was a guy irl.
I really wasn't joking about guys playing girls. lol

I was hoping that if they ever did anything like that it'd go along the more fun route of Fable 2 regarding babymaking or Skyrim involving adoption. Nothing too serious but still fun. I gotta admit the potential for mixed-race kid characters sounds like a lot of fun too (assuming that's biologically possible, i really have no idea). Then again, it could be terrifying (like RP server Goldshire).
Oh yeah, I forgot Fable had a child system... although it was pretty throwawy more than anything else. I would hope that an MMO would have something much more involved at the very least.

Hahahaha.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Wow. Yoshida is making some pretty godly decisions. Good on you, dude.

Monocle

How am I supposed to explain to my child that she can no longer play video games due to the magical gay elf invasion?

Top Bottom