• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Genei Ibunroku #FE - Story ("Debut Single") Trailer

Thoraxes

Why does everyone just assume the english version is going to be bad? lol I have faith that the localization team will do a great job despite the songs and idol stuff.

The compositions were written for Japanese text for lyrics. Fitting English into a Japanese song is always possible, but sometimes the results are a little awkward because of how the translation and localization works.

That, and there hasn't been too great a track record (or many examples) of really outstanding Japanese to English video game music localizations and performances. And with the whole VA union business going on right now, coupled with how the performers have to be chosen with that in mind, they'll need to be talented both in VA work and vocal song, not to mention it's already a pretty small pool of people... well, the results aren't really favorably skewed for it. It doesn't seem like the music was made with considerations to have it sung in more than one language to alleviate these fears.

This is just a small reason why localization is one hard-ass job.

Man I am so excited for this game, but I'm really worried about the localization. I just don't have the confidence that the Treenhouse won't fuck up the music. The Treehouse arguably does some of the best localization work in the industry, so regular cutscenes and dialogue should be fine, but the music will be really hard to do justice dubbed into english. Honestly just give me duel audio and i'll be fine.

Well I'd rather have a localisation, even if slightly lacking, since I don't understand Japanese at all, and I hate to say it, but frankly often find their singing a little on the unpleasantly shrill side.

I guess for the people who don't need voiced characters or that are fluent in Japanese, dual audio would be the ideal solution though.

-shadow-

That's a bold and incorrect statement. All three of the Project Rainfall games, and all three platinum Games on Wii U had dual-audio in North America. I.e. The Nintendo games that would have dual-audio.

Rhythm Heaven was released five months later in Europe and dual-audio was announced three months before release to apologize for the delay. I also don't think it was a budget title like in the states.

As for Spirit Camera it could be because they tried to position it as being unrelated to Fatal at all in the US and the original Japanese audio had references they wished to omit.

Both The Last Story and Pandora's Tower were English only in both the US and Europe(unless I've missed something about the US release which were based on the PAL localisations). Platinum Games do their own games in English anyway, so no need there to even make adjustments to those games since they're finished anyway making any changes to the code a bit of a waste really.

Rhythm Paradise could have had the original dub but hadn't for some reason, on the DS it was understandable with the limited space, but with the Wii there wasn't really an excuse other than not wanting to. The delay in Europe wasn't great sure, but I doubt that was the actual reason for the dub, the lack of the five language release (like the DS game had) seems like a more sensible reason.

And why would NOA want to remove any reference towards Fatal Frame in the Japanese dub when the story mode is called Fatal Frame. The removal of the Wii remake references I can get behind due to the game being skipped over there. But the Japanese language removal was completely unnecessary.

But who knows, I personally think that the original dub should be a safe bet. But than again, let's not forget that were still talking about Atlus and Nintendo here who have made.multiple ridiculous choices in the past couple of years

HawthorneKitty

Sgt. 2nd Class in the Creep Battalion, Waifu Wars
The compositions were written for Japanese text for lyrics. Fitting English into a Japanese song is always possible, but sometimes the results are a little awkward because of how the translation and localization works.

That, and there hasn't been too great a track record (or many examples) of really outstanding Japanese to English video game music localizations and performances. And with the whole VA union business going on right now, coupled with how the performers have to be chosen with that in mind, they'll need to be talented both in VA work and vocal song, not to mention it's already a pretty small pool of people... well, the results aren't really favorably skewed for it. It doesn't seem like the music was made with considerations to have it sung in more than one language to alleviate these fears.

Neptunia PP was fine with all English except the singing parts...

Infinite

That's assuming the songs will be localized. If they went through the trouble of getting AVEX to compose the songs for the Japanese release I can imagine them leaving it alone while translating and dubbing everything else for the localization.

Razmos

"I'm loving all these character designs so fa...
cform.png
Oh."

NotLiquid

I don't know if anyone's noticed here, but this trailer's opening seems to mirror the exact way Yamagami said how he envisioned the game in an interview way back during it's initial reveal.

For a long time, I’ve wanted to create a Fire Emblem in our times, in the real world. Imagine a Pegasus that comes from the sky and lands on Building 109 of Shibuya, Tokyo. I always thought that would be incredible.

Very nice touch.

Please Nintendo, just give me subtitles. I don't need English dubs. I damn sure don't need English songs! Please, please leave the voices and music in Japanese.

Won't happen. You can guarentee this game will have an english dub.

Because the people who demand Japanese dubs in games are nothing but a small vocal minority.

The best you can hope for is they give dual audio.

Hylian7

I don't know if anyone's noticed here, but this trailer's opening seems to mirror the exact way Yamagami said how he envisioned the game in an interview way back during it's initial reveal.

Very nice touch.
I forgot about that quote, that's pretty cool.

My hype for this game still deflates every time I see more stuff on it, and I will probably wait on gameplay impressions to decide whether I am buying this or not.

I was in the camp that was salty that Atlus pulled a bait and switch on us and made this have little, if anything, to do with SMT. I have yet to see a single SMT demon show up. The monsters/bosses look more like they are from Persona. The idol pandering just kills the whole thing, just trying to make a buck out of fanservice.

This game's reveal had me worried mainline SMT might have been eclipsed by Persons completely, but thankfully Atlus threw the real SMT fans a bone with Shin Megami Tensei 4 Final. I am so hyped for that game.

Golnei

I was in the camp that was salty that Atlus pulled a bait and switch on us and made this have little, if anything, to do with SMT. I have yet to see a single SMT demon show up. The monsters/bosses look more like they are from Persona. The idol pandering just kills the whole thing, just trying to make a buck out of fanservice.

This game's reveal had me worried mainline SMT might have been eclipsed by Persons completely, but thankfully Atlus threw the real SMT fans a bone with Shin Megami Tensei 4 Final. I am so hyped for that game.

It wasn't an intentional bait-and-switch; just the result of rushing to an announcement when nothing about the game was set in stone - not the best idea, but it made sense to them at the time, at the cost of building up expectations they couldn't fulfill. The actual game most likely would have always turned out like this, and continuing to fantasise about a more traditional SMT x FE crossover won't help the reality of the situation. The 'idol fanservice' is anything but shallow pandering - since its proper reveal, the concept looks to be incredibly tightly woven into the game on every level, and will likely provide just as thorough an exploration of the phenomenon as the Persona games provide the various sociological issues they work into their narratives.

Also, was that 'real' SMT jab absolutely necessary? That series itself was a spinoff originally, and it's getting a continuation appropriate to its audience. With the variety of titles Atlus is releasing, I don't see the point in complaining that they're continuing to put out a variety of RPGs, instead of only making the SMT games you see as worthwhile.

Thoraxes

Neptunia PP was fine with all English except the singing parts...

You know, I actually have that one coming to me in the mail later this week, haha.

That's assuming the songs will be localized. If they went through the trouble of getting AVEX to compose the songs for the Japanese release I can imagine them leaving it alone while translating and dubbing everything else for the localization.
That would probably be the best result, imo. Also probably the path with the least resistance too.

TM25

Neo Member
I keep looking at new footage when it releases, but none of it appeals to me. Officially writing this game off.

I am like, 90% sure they aren't going to localize those songs. I mean the game features a vocaloid entity that has at least one song in the soundtrack for god's sake how would they adequately adapt that?

Razmos

This game is COMPLETELY anime, It would be so jarring if it was only available dubbed rather than Japanese with subs.

It's so distinctly japanese in nature that attempting to dub it would just be.. weird.
Ripinpeacebrockwewillneverforgetyouand_5925116b9a4ce71fba377e569b78d1b8.gif

NeonZ

I have yet to see a single SMT demon show up. The monsters/bosses look more like they are from Persona. The idol pandering just kills the whole thing, just trying to make a buck out of fanservice.

The bosses (at least the ones we got names for) seem to be redesigned FE characters too, just like the allied mirages. The standard enemy mirages are based on generic FE classes, although there's also an odd "Troll" enemy, even though there were never trolls in FE.

OK trailer , getting a little hyped

People being surprised that a japanese game is doing anime and idol related stuff always make me wonder ...

FluxWaveZ

People being surprised that a japanese game is doing anime and idol related stuff always make me wonder ...

There aren't many games whose fundamental element is the idol and entertainment industry, and where it's interwoven with every element in the game. I think putting it that way is selling #FE short.

God, this game gets worse with every trailer. Probably shouldn't have expected much after the idol garbage was properly revealed though.

This game is COMPLETELY anime, It would be so jarring if it was only available dubbed rather than Japanese with subs.

Again: Despite what people think, a videogame is seriously impeding itself if it doesn't involve an English dub. Video games are not anime. The audience gained by including a dub outweighs the loss of a small weaboo niche who won't buy it if it's not in Japanese.

Let me just quote the last time this silly discussion came up.
Agentunknown said:
To someone like you in the context of merely trying to win your obstinate contrarian stance here it's not. You don't even know the proper use of the term "literally." You act like I'm the only one here who thinks this is a reasonable option even though both I and others have detailed points as to why it's reasonable. You can keep spinning your wheels, subtitles in story scenes are not the other worldly, off putting concept you make them out to be. I'm done replying to you on this. XSeed still would have sold every copy of Xenoblade if the story scenes were subbed.

H.Protagonist said:
I'd have to disagree.

Well, I had posted before about it in this thread, and on the subject of just subtitling in other localization threads, but a publisher loses a significant chunk of the audience (and therefore sales) if there isn't an English dub. It can also affect your ability to get placement in stores. There are exceptions, of course, but as I said before, cost cutting measures of like removing voices, not dubbing, or forgoing physical, are not generally equal or greater to what companies need to justify a project. And what's a success for XSEED is not necessarily going to be a success for other companies.

H.Protagonist works for xseed who hopefully needs no introduction

All the fire emblem games with vocals have English dubs. Most, if not all of the SMT games have English dubs. And they're "completely anime" too.

This game will have a dub and it will probably be your only choice.

Razmos

Ah well thanks for clearing that up, it's a shame but that's reality I suppose.

I imagine there could be the original japanese audio released as DLC though right? I've seen other games do that.

I love that they are going all in on this...vision of theirs. It would be nice if the dialogue and story had some depth to them, but I won't expect it. Atlus showed with Catherine that they can write for an audience a bit more mature and complex than what Persona is targeted at. Yet I'm expecting wall to wall clichés with this one.

It could probably fit on the disc. The question is whether they want to pay for dual audio or not, which is normally the reason you only get one dub rather than file size limits.

JCX

Looks great. Any particulars on how its battle system varies from SMT/Persona? Does it should use a version of press turn?

flohen95

Ah well thanks for clearing that up, it's a shame but that's reality I suppose.

I imagine there could be the original japanese audio released as DLC though right? I've seen other games do that.

I think the problem is that there is not a lot of precedent with NoA localizing Japanese niche games - it's hard to tell how much or if they value dual audio, since we don't have many past games to compare this one to.
Apparently, Fire Emblem Awakening has Dual Audio (I never really looked for that option since I don't want to listen to Japanese voice over anyway, so I'm not quite sure). It being the most comparable game to #FE that was handled by NoA, there might be a good chance to get Dual Audio (especially since the storage space of the Wii U disc shouldn't be a problem where it could have been on the 3DS cartridge), but I'm not sure if Nintendo would put something like that up as DLC. I guess it depends on how much licensing will be involved in getting permission to use the voices in the West. Anyhow, if anything, the most likely thing will be Dual Audio being included right off the bat - if it isn't, I'd doubt it coming ever after.

There's also Xenoblade X coming up, which is a comparable game localized by NoA, but I don't think we know yet whether it will include Dual Audio. Considering the games file size is already too big for the disc in the Japanese version, it will be interesting to see how much NoA will do to get Dual Audio on there, which will tell us a bit about how they value it. I know that they removed Dual Audio from the n3DS rerelease of Xenoblade due to size constraints, so it's entirely possible that they won't bother with it unless it fits on the disc.

Dingens

Reincarnation is still my favorite.

is there like a full version of it somewhere yet?

Why does everyone just assume the english version is going to be bad? lol I have faith that the localization team will do a great job despite the songs and idol stuff.

because this is a game about japanese pop music... and no matter how good the localisation turns out to be, it would still feel wrong.
that's like making a game about country and dubbing it into chinese.

because this is a game about japanese pop music... and no matter how good the localisation turns out to be, it would still feel wrong.

What's funny is that for me, those would both be improvements!

But yeah, hopefully they include the JPN dub for those who want it, because the songs probably won't survive translation well just due to the nature of language. Only instance I can think of where a song survived translation well is Valkyria Chronicles.

As much as I trust Atlus to make an English dub that has plenty of quality actors, I feel this game actually benefits from just being English subbed.

Whatever though, since P5 got pushed to 2016, this is now my second most hyped game next year.

FluxWaveZ

As much as I trust Atlus to make an English dub that has plenty of quality actors, I feel this game actually benefits from just being English subbed.

Atlus is not responsible for the dub or localization of this game, Nintendo is. Nintendo is the publisher; Atlus has not released any news or media for the game on their end—either in Japan or North America—for that reason.

don't think so... most likely have to wait for ost release... or at least when the game is out

Atlus is not responsible for the dub or localization of this game, Nintendo is. Nintendo is the publisher; Atlus has not released any news or media for the game on their end—either in Japan or North America—for that reason.
Oh okay. That makes sense. I was curious why Atlus' Japanese Youtube channel didn't have any of the trailers for the game.

Top Bottom