• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Genei Ibunroku #FE - Story ("Debut Single") Trailer

Dingens

Huh, isn't some Japanese pop music, at least as presented in Persona, in English, even when sung by Japanese singers (Burn my dread, time to make history, reach out to the truth, mass destruction, etc"). Obviously there are differences in the pop scenes from country to country, but the overall goal of "mass produced pop spectacle is still a thing here in the US.

but there is still a huge difference between jpop that was produced with english lyrics in mind and everything we've heard from this game so far...

Wii U game, unusual subject matter, crossover between two franchises while alienating many fans of both. Even if the game ends up to be really good, I'm going to remain pessimistic for now.
And I do mean bomb in the general sense, not "bomb in comparison to all of the other bomb software on a system that is also a bomb".

I know it's hard to let go... but I think it's about time that we view the as what it is: a new IP with some familiar touches. nobody is going to buy this game because it screams smt or fe - it just doesn't.

wrowa

because the translated idol songs for rhythm heaven are fucking shit

Nintendo had high hopes for Rhythm Heaven, which is why they translated the songs. I wouldn't worry that they are going out of their way to make an English version of #FE's songs - after all, it's a niche game that will make next to no money. They won't spend more money on this than necessary.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
So who's bringing this game over to the states? Atlus or Treehouse?
I thought Treehouse is confirmed to be doing the localisation. Worst case scenario they hand it over to 8-4 after they are done with Xenoblade X.
Nintendo had high hopes for Rhythm Heaven, which is why they translated the songs. I wouldn't worry that they are going out of their way to make an English version of #FE's songs - after all, it's a nice game that will make next to no money. They won't spend more money on this than necessary.
I wanna believe they'll just have dual audio since Awakening had that. Then again, Awakening much less audio to begin with.

mrmickfran

I thought Treehouse is confirmed to be doing the localisation. Worst case scenario they hand it over to 8-4 after they are done with Xenoblade X.
I'll be fine with Treehouse handling it if that means Atlus can solely focus on P5.

EDIT: They also have SMTIV-2 to work on as well.

Squishy3

Both The Last Story and Pandora's Tower were English only in both the US and Europe(unless I've missed something about the US release which were based on the PAL localisations). Platinum Games do their own games in English anyway, so no need there to even make adjustments to those games since they're finished anyway making any changes to the code a bit of a waste really.

Rhythm Paradise could have had the original dub but hadn't for some reason, on the DS it was understandable with the limited space, but with the Wii there wasn't really an excuse other than not wanting to. The delay in Europe wasn't great sure, but I doubt that was the actual reason for the dub, the lack of the five language release (like the DS game had) seems like a more sensible reason.

And why would NOA want to remove any reference towards Fatal Frame in the Japanese dub when the story mode is called Fatal Frame. The removal of the Wii remake references I can get behind due to the game being skipped over there. But the Japanese language removal was completely unnecessary.

But who knows, I personally think that the original dub should be a safe bet. But than again, let's not forget that were still talking about Atlus and Nintendo here who have made.multiple ridiculous choices in the past couple of years
the last story and pandora's tower weren't released by nintendo in the us, the only project rainfall game released by nintendo in the us was xenoblade and that did have dual audio, so go complain to marvelous usa and xseed about those games not having dual audio

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
I'll be fine with Treehouse handling it if that means Atlus can solely focus on P5.

EDIT: They also have SMTIV-2 to work on as well.

I doubt even if they had some people from atlus working on the localization from this game, that would interfere with P5,hell those people are probably working on SSMTIV2

L Thammy

I know it's hard to let go... but I think it's about time that we view the as what it is: a new IP with some familiar touches. nobody is going to buy this game because it screams smt or fe - it just doesn't.

Who are you responding to? I'm not one of the people who was upset by the game not matching the teaser. Look at my earlier post.

However, when we're talking about whether the game will be successful or not, you should appreciate the value of the crossover. A crossover takes established fanbases and creates a new product that appeals to both of them, hopefully introducing the audience of each to the other. It relies on people accepting the unfamiliar by seeking out the familiar.

Following that conversation. Why are Fire Emblem fans drawn to this crossover? Where is the similarity? It's not the gameplay, which is very much Shin Megami Tensei. It's also not the setting or the story, both of which are totally different from Fire Emblem. Maybe it's the characters, but those have very different designs and roles, so I'm not totally sure about that either.

Mainline Shin Megami Tensei fans are in a similar boat. They've got the gameplay, but not the setting, none of the characters so far, seemingly none of the story so far. Persona fans might have a much bigger connection - I don't know a ton about Persona - but that ultimately begs the question as to why Atlus shouldn't have just made a Persona game with these ideas and made use of that brand's popularity.

So I'm not getting upset that the game is different than it's expected to be, I just think that kills a lot of the benefit from crossover. It's not gaining the benefit from both brands the way that, Project X Zone is. And I think that game's total shit, by the way, it's just good at selling the crossover aspect.

Oh, and while I'm being a buzzkill. Developers wanting to make a game into a series does not really mean that the game will be made into a series. It's always possible that the game doesn't do well enough (in comparison to the other projects that the developer could be making) to justify more games being made. There are a million examples of games that developers have repeatedly stated that they want to make but have not been able to do so due to business concerns.

I mean, maybe I'm being overly pessimistic and the game will do great, I'd love it if that happened. But I don't see anything that suggests that otherwise and I'm really not feeling it.

foxuzamaki

Who are you responding to? I'm not one of the people who was upset by the game not matching the teaser. Look at my earlier post.

However, when we're talking about whether the game will be successful or not, you should appreciate the value of the crossover. A crossover takes established fanbases and creates a new product that appeals to both of them, hopefully introducing the audience of each to the other. It relies on people accepting the unfamiliar by seeking out the familiar.

Following that conversation. Why are Fire Emblem fans drawn to this crossover? Where is the similarity? It's not the gameplay, which is very much Shin Megami Tensei. It's also not the setting or the story, both of which are totally different from Fire Emblem. Maybe it's the characters, but those have very different designs and roles, so I'm not totally sure about that either.

Mainline Shin Megami Tensei fans are in a similar boat. They've got the gameplay, but not the setting, none of the characters so far, seemingly none of the story so far. Persona fans might have a much bigger connection - I don't know a ton about Persona - but that ultimately begs the question as to why Atlus shouldn't have just made a Persona game with these ideas and made use of that brand's popularity.

So I'm not getting upset that the game is different than it's expected to be, I just think that kills a lot of the benefit from crossover. It's not gaining the benefit from both brands the way that, Project X Zone is. And I think that game's total shit, by the way, it's just good at selling the crossover aspect.

Oh, and while I'm being a buzzkill. Developers wanting to make a game into a series does not really mean that the game will be made into a series. It's always possible that the game doesn't do well enough (in comparison to the other projects that the developer could be making) to justify more games being made. There are a million examples of games that developers have repeatedly stated that they want to make but have not been able to do so due to business concerns.

I mean, maybe I'm being overly pessimistic and the game will do great, I'd love it if that happened. But I don't see anything that suggests that otherwise and I'm really not feeling it.

You're really being pessimistic and generalizing

Astral Dog

Meh this is filled with Fire Emblem (Awakening) fanservice, i want it.
Besides its going to be a one thing, an unique game i guess.better be good.

Astral Dog

I say it's not going to bomb in the general sense, especially not in Japan. Nintendo is doing a lot of marketing for #FE. They've even announced a large scale concert for it that will be happening in 2016. The game's not even out yet and they've announced that.

They've stated that this is a new IP that they want to expand upon in the future. The point of alienation isn't significant enough apart from the occasional forum whining for that to be a factor. What it will come down to is the game's quality and its marketing, and the latter is already being covered in Japan.

i hope you are right, but really? are they really going to do a concert? :O

foxuzamaki

So one thing that has caught my attention is 1:56 is this like a music video or something, cause I would be so down with that, for the game to just have music videos. after like every boss or something.

Cryxok

All I can say is that hearing the Fire Emblem main theme at the beginning of the video made me feel fuzzy inside, as it always does.

Can't wait to hear this version on it's own.

Ōkami

contents_detail_tel.gif

Has anyone called this number yet?

foxuzamaki

I kinda want to call just to hear some support woman behind a desk in total confusion on why she is hearing a black american's voice.

Diffense

I like Fire Emblem and I'm totally indifferent to this. Weird.
I guess I need to see more than just people singing before I get excited.

The funny thing is I don't like Fire Emblem and I'm totally into this.

I greatly prefer what we got to a crossover SRPG though I'm probably in the minority.

Draxal

Looks like the guy with a cloak is a party member and has a sword icon (bet you his Mirage will be Ogma or Nabarl).

so 9 party members in total so far... not bad (i'm assuming the manager is indeed a party member due to bonus costume & there's no way barry the otaku isn't a party member as well)

Draxal

so 9 party members in total so far... not bad (i'm assuming the manager is indeed a party member due to bonus costume & there's no way barry the otaku isn't a party member as well)

I do think the manager is a party member, I don't see barry being one yet. What class would he be?

edit. .. Oh he would be a berseker wouldn't he.

Draxal

was thinking that, but it'll be another axe user then :(
we're lacking support & healer class too atm

Well he could be a healer if his mirage is Wrys ... which thinking about how Japan loves him as a joke char ....

Manager is going to be either Elice or Emmeryn.

flohen95

At first, I was excited about the game because Fire Emblem is my favourite series and this was a new Fire Emblem game (albeit a crossover with SMT, which, at the time, I didn't know anything about). But then a lot of things changed, and now this barely resembles Fire Emblem anymore (which is why it's not really weird that you're indifferent to it).

Well, and now that everything is different than anyone expected in 2013, I'm excited because this is an Atlus RPG coming to Wii U, which is all I could have ever asked for, really. But it definitely isn't a game that anyone would jump on soley based on the fact that one likes Fire Emblem - the overlapping things are just too little or obscured for that.

L Thammy

I do think the manager is a party member, I don't see barry being one yet. What class would he be?

edit. .. Oh he would be a berseker wouldn't he.

Fortissimo edition has a swimsuit costume for the manager, so you're probably right about her being a party member. It would be weird if you could change NPCs costumes.

EDIT: That new character is a trickster or assassin or something like that. He's got the same class icon as the enemies with "assassin" in their names and Gangrel. There was a character other than Kiria who was seen in posters, Yashiro Tsurugi. Maybe that's him?

7sNouEP.png

kamineko

Does his best thinking in the flying car
This title continues to be the most amazingly Japanese shit from Japan that I have seen in ages.

I hope we get a CE

Or FE

Draxal

Fortissimo edition has a swimsuit costume for the manager, so you're probably right about her being a party member. It would be weird if you could change NPCs costumes.

EDIT: That new character is a trickster or assassin or something like that. He's got the same class icon as the enemies with "assassin" in their names and Gangrel. There was a character other than Kiria who was seen in posters, Yashiro Tsurugi. Maybe that's him?

7sNouEP.png

It's def him, although I think it's Yoshiro and not Yashiro. Do you have any screens of Gangrel with that Sword icon? The other ones I have seen him don't have it.

But if he's a thief, he's so Gaius, but since thives/adventurers/assassins all are sword users, it does mean it still could be any of them so far.

Top Bottom