• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Genshin Impact |OT| 4.0 (Fontaine) - Je m'appelle "la baleine"

Tygeezy

Day 22 with no Ningguang.
HZHCjhL.png
KujfEMX.jpg
I actually got her on my first beginner pull. I wish we could trade Waifus.

Stitch

Gold Member
Wtf at B being confirm and A being back. It's fucking me right up in the menus using a Xbox controller.
yeah I hate it. It's normal for asia but they need to let us switch it to western style.

the game also never detects the gamepad so I have to reselect it every time I start the game.

Last edited:

Pejo

yeah I hate it. It's normal for asia but they need to let us switch it to western style.
I don't get why they won't let us remap buttons in general. I'd also ideally like the ability to remap functions like hitting dash to break out bubbles/ice instead of jump. Every time I get frozen, I mash and then end up jumping and getting frozen again. At least dash has i-frames.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Another feedback.
I feel like the feedback is at least asking the right questions. "What characters have you leveled up? Why? What would get you to level up different characters that aren't part of your main team?". Hopefully they're doing something good with the data they're gathering.

Saber

Gold Member
I feel like the feedback is at least asking the right questions. "What characters have you leveled up? Why? What would get you to level up different characters that aren't part of your main team?". Hopefully they're doing something good with the data they're gathering.

I don't think so. They're probably doing for other purposes other than improvement of the game itself(probably have to do with ideas for more gatcha). I sent 2 feedbacks for them during the beta and the game remain the same.

Pejo

I feel like the unanimous answer to that question is just "FIX THE RESIN SYSTEM!"

oh jeezus maybe i should be saving...... fuuuck.

Going back to this, I'm kind of divided here. On one hand, I've decided to hold on to my gems in the hopes of getting a new character that will work nicely with my team. On the other hand, I now have mostly constellation 0 characters, while others have high constellations for the three characters in the original banner. There are definitely pros and cons to each approach.

Pejo

Man, the more I use Jean, the more I am left wanting for a buff for her. They should just go all in on her being a healer. It's a waste to have both her and a dedicated healer in the same party because she's just not doing the damage or utility to justify the slot. Her swirl stinks too because it only does a single tick when you let go of the Skill button, opposed to like Venti, MC, or Sucrose even who get at least a few seconds of constant swirl. Even her dandelion field skill only does swirls when enemies leave/enter the border. A simple buff would be to apply swirl the entire time you're holding the skill button down, so you could collect small enemies and apply some great DPS before tossing them away. As a 5* i'm surprised that it's not the default way the skill works. If Jean got her Burst energy requirement reduced and her 50% chance on hit to heal got a little stronger (or even better scaling on her attack), she could be a competent but not overpowered healer. She just is kinda stuck in the middle of everything and it bums me out.

I really hope 1h sword users get a buff in general because their stagger and damage seem so much less than claymore, and the attack speed isn't necessarily fast enough outside of Keqing to make up for it.

RaptorGTA

Forgot about spending Wishes..got Ningguang on my first try..really wish this game was on the Switch rather than mobile phones...I just don't like using a touch screen...

N30RYU

Almost Adventure level 39

all the anemo and geo orbs collected.

Done the 9 pilars mission...

and still no Diluc...

I'll be doing the dailies and the resin... till I get to lvl40... already got the materials to awaken the main DPS character and its weapon once I get to 40.

I don't feel like doing the abyss (lvl 5) till i get to 40.

For anyone just starting out, or maybe who has not yet started but will...

Use whatever wishes (pulls) you can on the event banners. Do not use them on the normal banner whenever you can avoid it.

Why? Because you have much better odds of getting good characters/specific characters you want by using the event banner vs the normal banner. In the normal banner there is no rate up for any characters like there is in the event banner. Also, in the normal banner you are never guaranteed a 5 star character. In the event banner, you are guaranteed to get a 5 star character if you reach the pity pull (at your 90th wish on event banners). At that point you are guaranteed either the main event banner character, or another 5 star character. So ideally you only wish on event banners, and you do it when there are specific characters with rate ups that you want in that event banner. Otherwise, save your wishes for when that happens.

Also, if you have $5 to spend then buy the "Blessing of the Welkin Moon". You will get 90 primogems per day that you log in over the next 30 days for doing so. Assuming you play every one of those days, that's 2,700 primogems (plus 300 crystals you also get which can be converted to about 2 more wishes) for a total of 18 wishes for $5. If you go and just buy a wish, the cost comes to about $2.50 EACH. So obviously this is a good value as long as you're playing the game.

TL;DR: To quicken/maximize your chances of getting a 5 star character (or even 4 star character you specifically want), only make wishes on the event banners, and buy the blessing of the welkin moon for $5.

Last edited:

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Good advice Hoho for breakfast Hoho for breakfast , but I'd say with a few caveats:

1) If you're very new and just starting out, be sure to use the two discounted "beginner" wish banners. You're guaranteed to get Noelle, and your second pull uses 8 crystals instead of the usual 10. After using it two times, it's gone.
2) The game has two different types of wish currency - one that can be used on event banners, and one that can be used on normal banners. Don't ever use primogems to buy this currency for normal banners, but feel free to use the normal banner wishes if you earn enough currency in-game.

Good advice Hoho for breakfast Hoho for breakfast , but I'd say with a few caveats:

1) If you're very new and just starting out, be sure to use the two discounted "beginner" wish banners. You're guaranteed to get Noelle, and your second pull uses 8 crystals instead of the usual 10. After using it two times, it's gone.
2) The game has two different types of wish currency - one that can be used on event banners, and one that can be used on normal banners. Don't ever use primogems to buy this currency for normal banners, but feel free to use the normal banner wishes if you earn enough currency in-game.
Yeah that's true I just didn't want to overcomplicate anything. But yes you will get the beginners banner where you can use 16 Aquaint Fate wishes and guarantee yourself at least Noelle and (hopefully) a second 4* character.

Banned
I haven't really been following this thread nor any other online discussion about this game... but is it possible that this game has some serious Memory Leak issues?
I was playing today and after about 2h my PC started to almost freeze on me. I opened task manager and, sure enough, my whole 16GB or system ram was filled to the brim. the game said it was only using 300MB or ram, but as soon as I closed it my ram usage went down from 16GB to 3GB

fucking hell, took me 2 minutes to close the damn thing because my PC was just about chugging along at that point!

at first I thought Windows might download an update in the background again or was doing some other shit that made the game drop frames... but it eventually became so bad that I stood up and had to walk to my PC (I was playing on the TV through a 10m HDMI) and even opening task manager was a struggle.
the game at that point basically ran like the unpatched version of *cue dramatic DF voices*
Lichdom_Battlemage_cover_art.jpg

Last edited:

_Justinian_

Gold Member
I also have 16GB on my PC. I play the game and keep Chrome (with 15+ tabs), Discord, etc. open at the same time. Zero issues. Maybe try reinstalling? Or you have a different issue with your PC?

If there was such a problem it would be reported by many players already. I think it's a problem with your PC, as no one else seems to have experienced this issue.

I must have got lucky as hell for once, did 3 10 stack wishes in a row, got Klee on first pull on new banner, then got Kequing, and Beidou. 15 characters so far, while my buddy who's 1 AR lower than me, only has 9, and lvl 5 constellation with Amber. Ooof

Last edited:
What are the differences between gacha systems and lootboxes?

Resin cap up to 160 in 1.1 boys!

No need to log in more than once daily now
Fr?! That's actually not that bad. 200 would have been amazing though. I mean they are still gonna have those players that dump cash in there, at least it would boost no-quest-hell AR's, and give f2p gamers more to do in that time. Co-op spiral abyss would be massive.

Okay, for anyone who has played this developer's other games (or other Gacha games in general) how exactly is the hook supposed to work here in the long term?

Play game, have fun, world level goes up, game gets harder, have to upgrade characters, play more, world level up again, game gets harder again, have to level up more again. I get all that.

What I don't get is that the main draw of this game making money is the slot machine, but people need to want to earn new characters before they're going to want to pull that slot machine lever. If I've leveled all my current characters up, and I'm now completely out of resources, why would I want new characters? Sure, I can equip them with the same artifacts and weapons, but their very low character level is just going to get them killed, because now the world is far too dangerous for some level 20 character that I just unlocked. At that point, in a very real sense, I'm being actively discouraged from the main method this game has of making money.

My guess is that each new area will lead to new quests, new chests, and loads of free XP again. Then the developers bring back that early game feel of leveling up again, and it's much easier to level new characters right after each expansion. Then it gets harder to level new characters again, so you're either forced to wait for the expansion, or pay for XP. Or maybe as new areas are released, the early areas of the game will be given a lower AR cap for enemy strength, so you'll at least have something to do and somewhere to go while building new characters.

tl;dr: If people don't have resources to level new characters, I don't know how the developer expects them to want new characters. I would think that for players to continue to want to earn new characters, either there will have to be certain times when leveling new characters becomes easier again, or activities and rewards that are suited to lower level characters will have to be added to the game. For those who have played similar games, how do you expect the developers to keep the Gacha system relevant for all players?

Last edited:

Banned
I also have 16GB on my PC. I play the game and keep Chrome (with 15+ tabs), Discord, etc. open at the same time. Zero issues. Maybe try reinstalling? Or you have a different issue with your PC?
If there was such a problem it would be reported by many players already. I think it's a problem with your PC, as no one else seems to have experienced this issue.
Yea I just ran the game for an hour or so and checked RAM usage, no problems.

well it was after 2 to 3 hours of continuous play. and after I forced the game to quit the RAM was empty again. so it has to have something to do with the game.

I accidentally clicked on the store icon once which opens a pop up window in the game, and it happened soon after that... maybe opening certain menus/screens can lead to this?

it's weird. I'll have an eye on it and see if it ever happens again, but IMO there's a memory leak issue, maybe only by doing certain in-game things but I can't think of a other reason why the game just filled up 16GB of RAM (the game itself used ~13GB)

mcz117chief

Okay, for anyone who has played this developer's other games (or other Gacha games in general) how exactly is the hook supposed to work here in the long term?

Play game, have fun, world level goes up, game gets harder, have to upgrade characters, play more, world level up again, game gets harder again, have to level up more again. I get all that.

What I don't get is that the main draw of this game making money is the slot machine, but people need to want to earn new characters before they're going to want to pull that slot machine lever. If I've leveled all my current characters up, and I'm now completely out of resources, why would I want new characters? Sure, I can equip them with the same artifacts and weapons, but their very low character level is just going to get them killed, because now the world is far too dangerous for some level 20 character that I just unlocked. At that point, in a very real sense, I'm being actively discouraged from the main method this game has of making money.

My guess is that each new area will lead to new quests, new chests, and loads of free XP again. Then the developers bring back that early game feel of leveling up again, and it's much easier to level new characters right after each expansion. Then it gets harder to level new characters again, so you're either forced to wait for the expansion, or pay for XP. Or maybe as new areas are released, the early areas of the game will be given a lower AR cap for enemy strength, so you'll at least have something to do and somewhere to go while building new characters.

tl;dr: If people don't have resources to level new characters, I don't know how the developer expects them to want new characters. I would think that for players to continue to want to earn new characters, either there will have to be certain times when leveling new characters becomes easier again, or activities and rewards that are suited to lower level characters will have to be added to the game. For those who have played similar games, how do you expect the developers to keep the Gacha system relevant for all players?
You can do daily guests and resin fights to get level up items. It will take time for sure but that is normal in these kinds of games.

Banned
Well, guess I cannot ignore this now, downloaded the PC Version, any tips?

get used to using Circle/B to confirm and X/A to go back in menus if you use a controller lol

it's especially weird if you are using an Xbox Controller... it literally fucks me up even now after playing it for more than 10h, my brain tells me "this is an Xbox controller! press A!" but the game clearly shows a B button...

get used to using Circle/B to confirm and X/A to go back in menus if you use a controller lol

it's especially weird if you are using an Xbox Controller... it literally fucks me up even now after playing it for more than 10h, my brain tells me "this is an Xbox controller! press A!" but the game clearly shows a B button...

That's getting changed in the 1.1 update, which is currently planed to release around November 11th. First the game will have basic button remapping, and in later updates it'll become a bit more advanced.

Well, guess I cannot ignore this now, downloaded the PC Version, any tips?

Read the OP.

You can do daily guests and resin fights to get level up items. It will take time for sure but that is normal in these kinds of games.

Sure, but I don't think that solves the issue. If you know there will be a big grind for any new characters, that's still a disincentive to using the Gacha system.

Pejo

The whole secret to this is that character ascension and leveling will become almost instantaneous in a few months. In other words, you'll have a bank of all of the materials to instantly level a new character from 1-80 just sitting around. By tying all of character growth to items instead of gameplay, it's inevitable. I personally think that this is a huge mistake, and I'd rather that the leveling curve was much slower, but it was tied to battle XP instead of books. It makes for a smoother leveling curve and alleviates the problems with the world level exceeding your new character's levels like you described above. Other than abyss, there should have been no reason that we have our characters at max level so quickly in the life of the game. That's a grind that people could have actually enjoyed if the monsters gave a few hundred xp instead of 10, that would have been totally independent of resin.

Right now, it's the only thing left to do in the game after exhausting the open world stuff, so they're making it tough to get materials. Once they have some new activities, regions, a new grind, etc, the character leveling process will be easy and thoughtless. Right now, people still want characters because they're cool, regardless of how long it will take to build them or whatever, that's also a gacha mindset.

SCB3

Ah the Japanese layout, w LL years of Switch and Wii U games prepared me I guess

Pejo

I didn't realize how much the confirm/exit buttons fucked me until I tried to play Monster Hunter again last night after paying Genshin so much recently. I was sending signal flares when I was trying to look at a map, I was exiting instead of confirming, trying to hold R1 to dash out of the way of a monster with iFrames (it didn't work).

mcz117chief

Sure, but I don't think that solves the issue. If you know there will be a big grind for any new characters, that's still a disincentive to using the Gacha system.
It is par for the course, mate, and I know much worse examples. Here is one: in Azur Lane the best ships in the game are made through research, which are basically quests. Some of the quests are rather easy, like "perform 10 developments" which can be done in a couple of days. Then there are ones like "get 2 000 000 xp on German light cruisers" and that can take you months to do. Now, once you finished all your research, which can take a casual player many months, you get a lvl 1 ship which can only be improved using special items which are incredibly expensive, rare and you need a TON of them to actually make the ship viable. After playing for half a year the ship was still way below my best normal ship so I just gave up on it, but there are many of these special ships and the most dedicated players focus on these. Getting a character to lvl 60+ in Genshin is practically nothing in comparison to Azur Lane special ships.

Banned
Ah the Japanese layout, w LL years of Switch and Wii U games prepared me I guess

it's the mix of using an Xbox controller and the switched buttons. I have no issue on Switch or PS4 controllers... a red confirm button labled B and a green back button labled A... that just fucks with my brain

Last edited:
It is par for the course, mate, and I know much worse examples. Here is one: in Azur Lane the best ships in the game are made through research, which are basically quests. Some of the quests are rather easy, like "perform 10 developments" which can be done in a couple of days. Then there are ones like "get 2 000 000 xp on German light cruisers" and that can take you months to do. Now, once you finished all your research, which can take a casual player many months, you get a lvl 1 ship which can only be improved using special items which are incredibly expensive, rare and you need a TON of them to actually make the ship viable. After playing for half a year the ship was still way below my best normal ship so I just gave up on it, but there are many of these special ships and the most dedicated players focus on these. Getting a character to lvl 60+ in Genshin is practically nothing in comparison to Azur Lane special ships.

But does the entire world level up in game, making it so that low level characters essentially can't be played until they're able to reach similar levels as the rest of your characters? Because that's the main issue that I'm talking about. Not just how much time it takes to level, but the fact that doing so is essentially required to use the character at all.

Also, you giving up on a game because the ship you wanted to use felt like it was impossible to level to be equal with your best ship is kind of what I'm talking about. If you quit the game over it, instead of wanting to invest in the chance to unlock more cool new ships, then the developers did something wrong.

The whole secret to this is that character ascension and leveling will become almost instantaneous in a few months. In other words, you'll have a bank of all of the materials to instantly level a new character from 1-80 just sitting around. By tying all of character growth to items instead of gameplay, it's inevitable. I personally think that this is a huge mistake, and I'd rather that the leveling curve was much slower, but it was tied to battle XP instead of books. It makes for a smoother leveling curve and alleviates the problems with the world level exceeding your new character's levels like you described above. Other than abyss, there should have been no reason that we have our characters at max level so quickly in the life of the game. That's a grind that people could have actually enjoyed if the monsters gave a few hundred xp instead of 10, that would have been totally independent of resin.

Right now, it's the only thing left to do in the game after exhausting the open world stuff, so they're making it tough to get materials. Once they have some new activities, regions, a new grind, etc, the character leveling process will be easy and thoughtless. Right now, people still want characters because they're cool, regardless of how long it will take to build them or whatever, that's also a gacha mindset.

I think you're right. Something has to change to make leveling new characters easier, or people won't want to unlock new characters. I'm the type of person to play these games slowly, though, so I'm in no rush. It's different because people don't get new classes or characters in Destiny, but that game usually works the same way. New update is released, it's very hard to level, it becomes easier, and right before the next update leveling becomes way easier to get everyone ready for the new content. I can see this game taking a similar path, only things will likely get easier right after the updates instead of before them.

Last edited:

Pejo

But does the entire world level up in game, making it so that low level characters essentially can't be played until they're able to reach similar levels as the rest of your characters? Because that's the main issue that I'm talking about. Not just how much time it takes to level, but the fact that doing so is essentially required to use the character at all.

Also, you giving up on a game because the ship you wanted to use felt like it was impossible to level to be equal with your best ship is kind of what I'm talking about. If you quit the game over it, instead of wanting to invest in the chance to unlock more cool new ships, then the developers did something wrong.

I think you're right. Something has to change to make leveling new characters easier, or people won't want to unlock new characters. I'm the type of person to play these games slowly, though, so I'm in no rush. It's different because people don't get new classes or characters in Destiny, but that game usually works the same way. New update is released, it's very hard to level, it becomes easier, and right before the next update leveling becomes way easier to get everyone ready for the new content. I can see this game taking a similar path, only things will likely get easier right after the updates instead of before them.
If they do it anything like their previous game, Honkai Impact 3rd, you get so many level up materials eventually that they actually turn them into a currency for other items so you don't just accrue a huge pile of them and nothing to do with them. That's why I was confused when they used basically the same system to level up characters in Genshin.

Top Bottom