• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Genshin Impact |OT| 4.0 (Fontaine) - Je m'appelle "la baleine"

mcz117chief

But does the entire world level up in game, making it so that low level characters essentially can't be played until they're able to reach similar levels as the rest of your characters? Because that's the main issue that I'm talking about. Not just how much time it takes to level, but the fact that doing so is essentially required to use the character at all.

Also, you giving up on a game because the ship you wanted to use felt like it was impossible to level to be equal with your best ship is kind of what I'm talking about. If you quit the game over it, instead of wanting to invest in the chance to unlock more cool new ships, then the developers did something wrong.
Like Pejo said, you use books to lvl them up so you can instantly go from lvl 1 to lvl 60+ in a matter of moments. You just need to accumulate it.

When it comes to Azur Lane I was so burned out by the insane farming to get the super ship that I just stopped playing, but that has happened to me before. After a year or so I might go back again and play it a lot for a few months again. In the end it is just a game and I play it for as long as I have fun with it. The stupid grind was really stupid but I enjoyed seeing the progress bar grow and knowing that the super ship was getting closer and closer, it kept me motivated and not frustrated. When it comes to Genshin I'll do the same, just play until I no longer have fun with it then I'll switch to a different game.

Saber

Gold Member
The whole secret to this is that character ascension and leveling will become almost instantaneous in a few months. In other words, you'll have a bank of all of the materials to instantly level a new character from 1-80 just sitting around. By tying all of character growth to items instead of gameplay, it's inevitable. I personally think that this is a huge mistake, and I'd rather that the leveling curve was much slower, but it was tied to battle XP instead of books. It makes for a smoother leveling curve and alleviates the problems with the world level exceeding your new character's levels like you described above. Other than abyss, there should have been no reason that we have our characters at max level so quickly in the life of the game. That's a grind that people could have actually enjoyed if the monsters gave a few hundred xp instead of 10, that would have been totally independent of resin.

Right now, it's the only thing left to do in the game after exhausting the open world stuff, so they're making it tough to get materials. Once they have some new activities, regions, a new grind, etc, the character leveling process will be easy and thoughtless. Right now, people still want characters because they're cool, regardless of how long it will take to build them or whatever, that's also a gacha mindset.

I was talking about that with my brother(dunno if I commented here). Battles play a very low part in the game and I feel like this choice is pretty damn wrong. Apart from dropping material, people got no real reason to fight monsters while exploring. World level does not dictate their XP or Mora rewards, only "unlocks" the better droppable rewards. I just move once again to another world rank increase, monsters are taking even more to beat and guess what? Exact same 30 mora and 13 character XP.

My brother as soon as saw me, stop increasing his adventure level since he saw no profit or reward out of it. It get better for him because this allowed his characters to level 70 and since his AR is low, monsters are much more easier to beat. While myself keep taking long to beat them with the same old rewards. The only difference is that after 30~40 one drops a better loot.

The only thing I'm seeing is bad choices to increase AR. So far the best way to go is keep your adventure rank pretty damn low, until you get all your characters leveled, artifacts and farming mora.

Another bad choice is using resin to go to artifact dungeons. Who would waste resins to go into artifact dungeons when you have characters to level, weapons to level and Boss fights that gives you way better loot and artifacts(sidenote: you waste resin for a chance to drop better artifacts)? Besides, even common monsters can drop artifacts, which make those dungeons redundant.

I was talking about that with my brother(dunno if I commented here). Battles play a very low part in the game and I feel like this choice is pretty damn wrong. Apart from dropping material, people got no real reason to fight monsters while exploring. World level does not dictate their XP or Mora rewards, only "unlocks" the better droppable rewards. I just move once again to another world rank increase, monsters are taking even more to beat and guess what? Exact same 30 mora and 13 character XP.

My brother as soon as saw me, stop increasing his adventure level since he saw no profit or reward out of it. It get better for him because this allowed his characters to level 70 and since his AR is low, monsters are much more easier to beat. While myself keep taking long to beat them with the same old rewards. The only difference is that after 30~40 one drops a better loot.

The only thing I'm seeing is bad choices to increase AR. So far the best way to go is keep your adventure rank pretty damn low, until you get all your characters leveled, artifacts and farming mora.

Another bad choice is using resin to go to artifact dungeons. Who would waste resins to go into artifact dungeons when you have characters to level, weapons to level and Boss fights that gives you way better loot and artifacts(sidenote: you waste resin for a chance to drop better artifacts)? Besides, even common monsters can drop artifacts, which make those dungeons redundant.

Very good points. I was already leaning towards not going past AR 35. I'm pretty sure there's a quest for that one, so it should be easy to opt out for a while. I can just wait until I'm happy with my progress before moving on from there. I want bosses and mobs to be easier to farm, not harder.

Any pros or cons we're not considering here?

Saber

Gold Member

So far, stopping at AR 35 felt like a good choice. My brother characters felt stronger than most of enemies. All the level up materials(both from weapons and ascending) can still be either droppable or created through alchemy. So, there wasn't any cons from my brother. The only con is jumping straight to World level increase(like I did), which makes everything harder with very little difference on loot(plus, AR 40 does not requires a quest so mosnters already got stronger). Also, the 70 character cap still remains, meaning that even if your World level increases your character will be stuck on level 70 until you hit AR 40.

This time I learned my lesson. If the game ever requires me to do a quest to progress my AR pass the cap, I will stop for good. Seems like a stupid deal.

Last edited:

Mossybrew

I'm at AR30 with my characters at 50, all of my main team need random items to farm to ascend. Definitely not interested in getting new characters at the moment, in fact now that I've explored most of the available map I've kinda lost interest a bit in the game. Probably be playing less until they release a new zone to explore.

Pejo

Very good points. I was already leaning towards not going past AR 35. I'm pretty sure there's a quest for that one, so it should be easy to opt out for a while. I can just wait until I'm happy with my progress before moving on from there. I want bosses and mobs to be easier to farm, not harder.

If I could go back, i would absolutely stop at AR35. I really regret doing the uncapping quest. Enemies got exponentially longer to defeat for not a huge increase in rewards. The only good thing has been getting 44k Mora from gold leylines, everything else has been a negative. You will be locked in a lower tier of Wolf and Stormterror rewards, but they're once a week and random as hell anyways, so I don't consider that a major negative. I'm right on the cusp of AR40 where my world level is going to increase again and I wish I could stop it, but I don't have control over it again until AR45. I absolutely won't be doing that limit break quest until I have at least 2 teams fully maxed out. The jump between world level 3 and 4 is relatively big compared to past world levels.

N30RYU

AR 39 and 1/3 to AR40... got the Abyss up to level 5 with all the stars...

Now is the waiting game... for resin recharge... up to 5 hours to get 40 resin is A LOT.

If they up the max resin from 120 to 160... it will take 21.5h to fully refill it... instead they should drop the resin recharge from 1 resin every 8min to 1 every 5min.

Last edited:

Pejo

I don't know what it is about these MMD videos that make me laugh so hard, but I'm sure it must take an incredible amount of work to build this stuff. The last one with Klee/Qiqi especially has some amazing physics. Poor Venti, lol.

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
You'll need to be AR36 to continue the main quest in the next patch though. (maybe) As for the other stuff I'm playing this game less and less now because of it but that is fine by me. 1 1/2 hour of Genshin a day fits in my gacha schedule.

Jedge

If I could go back, i would absolutely stop at AR35. I really regret doing the uncapping quest. Enemies got exponentially longer to defeat for not a huge increase in rewards. The only good thing has been getting 44k Mora from gold leylines, everything else has been a negative. You will be locked in a lower tier of Wolf and Stormterror rewards, but they're once a week and random as hell anyways, so I don't consider that a major negative. I'm right on the cusp of AR40 where my world level is going to increase again and I wish I could stop it, but I don't have control over it again until AR45. I absolutely won't be doing that limit break quest until I have at least 2 teams fully maxed out. The jump between world level 3 and 4 is relatively big compared to past world levels.

I just made this mistake. Hit AR 35 and was like "oh i'll just do the ascension quest." Wish I read this sooner
Enemies are really tanky and unless you have a character that's basically maxed it takes a lot longer to kill things

Pejo

I just made this mistake. Hit AR 35 and was like "oh i'll just do the ascension quest." Wish I read this sooner
Enemies are really tanky and unless you have a character that's basically maxed it takes a lot longer to kill things
Yea and you don't even get the luxury to stop at World level 4, you're on a one-way path to WL5. At least you get to do the Venti story at 36 which was pretty funny. I enjoy Paimon's interactions with Venti.

I would recommend getting your highest DPS character to level 70 with lv 70 weapon and at least +8 artifacts all around ASAP. Once you have one to lean on, it helps a bit, then you can fill out your team slowly.

Jedge

No controller support.
The game has now been deleted.
what a waste of my jobs free wifi.
I thought I was going to play an actual phone game again after years of disillusion.
nope back to work.

According to their 1.1 Q&A

Q: I want to change the key bindings/controller setup.
A: We are in the process of developing a key bindings and controller setup function, part of which will go live in Version 1.1.
We're firing on all cylinders to complete the remaining functionality, which will become available to players in a later version.

Q: I want to change the key bindings/controller setup.
A: We are in the process of developing a key bindings and controller setup function, part of which will go live in Version 1.1.
We're firing on all cylinders to complete the remaining functionality, which will become available to players in a later version.

I guess my work wont mind me redownloadiing it when this happens.

My 5 year old son just pulled Keqing from the beginners banner, then pulled her again from the event banner with the first 35 set or whatever it is of wishes that you get. Sigh. Other than that he got 2 more Noelle (3 total), Beidou, and Sucrose.

Keqing is already disgusting, and that extra constellation attack she gets is completely bad ass.

Edit: And my wife pulled Klee (along with Barbara) on her first 35 pulls.

So they've each played the game for less than 2 hours and have 5 star characters, and I've played for about 30 hours and don't have one. Cool.

Last edited:

MagnesG

Banned
I got sucrose on my last pull. This is so fucked up lol.

Though now at least I can use Anemo focused team comp for that sweet sweet fast Mona exploration.

Last edited:

Moochi

I'm AR 36 and every time I've fought the wolf or Stormbringer I've gotten a legendary artifact. Is a legendary artifact guaranteed to drop at this level, or am I just getting lucky?

MagnesG

Banned
Might install this tonight, is there a paywall? Any good begginers guide for early pulls?
Reroll all you want before the next update, they gonna botch it soon (it will be much longer). Reroll guide is all on the internet, at least get a *5 before you proceed. One reroll is like 15-17 mins, most people will only reroll for like 3-6 times before getting one so I highly suggest doing this for a head start.
Paywall is none you just get OP characters that would obviously help you progress faster. Getting dupes characters is better though.

Malakhov

Banned
Reroll all you want before the next update, they gonna botch it soon (it will be much longer). Reroll guide is all on the internet, at least get a *5 before you proceed. One reroll is like 15-17 mins, most people will only reroll for like 3-6 times before getting one so I highly suggest doing this for a head start.
Paywall is none you just get OP characters that would obviously help you progress faster. Getting dupes characters is better though.
I don't know I think my game is bugged. I have no waypoints and my quests aren't progressing right after that beach segment when you activate a waypoint. I've looked at a video and you're supposed to follow the fairy but she just follows me around and nothing happens and I've got nothing on the map as well

MagnesG

Banned
I don't know I think my game is bugged. I have no waypoints and my quests aren't progressing right after that beach segment when you activate a waypoint. I've looked at a video and you're supposed to follow the fairy but she just follows me around and nothing happens and I've got nothing on the map as well
Maybe try restarting? The path is pretty straightforward too if I'm not mistaken.

I'd highly suggest anyone starting out to reroll until you get a 5 star character.

I really like Fischl and Barbara on my main account but getting no 5 star after hours and hours annoyed me too much, especially when both my wife and son rolled 5 star characters within 2 hours of their first time playing. So I started all over, and got Diluc on my first try! So that's my new main account lol. The other rolls were garbage, but...Diluc.

Last edited:

Malakhov

Banned
I got two sucrose, why is getting dupes better?

Fake

Finally did a quest to up my AR ahead 35. Not only I waited until I get everyone and every weapon level up, as soon as I did a quest I get AR lvl 39.

Finally did a quest to up my AR ahead 35. Not only I waited until I get everyone and every weapon level up, as soon as I did a quest I get AR lvl 39.
Haha, I'm going to do the same thing. I heard WL4 is a big jump up in difficulty so I'm going to level and ascend everyone and their weapons before I let it happen. This is better than say Skyrim where you can't control when the enemies level up with you.

I'm about to AR 40 today. I miss the first 10 days, with that sweet juicy 160 primogems per day, plus all the quest rewards (Wtf is a quest at this rank anyways, besides daily commissions?!). Still enjoying the game though.

Pejo

Well, I knew I was nearing AR40, but it kinda snuck up on me and I leveled up into it during dailies today.....before I fought the weekly wolf boss. "Fuck me", I thought. Decided to give it a try immediately after, just to see the difference, and wow I was not prepared. Still manged to win but it was fucking CLOSE and I had to lean on my C6 Barbara's free full heal revive, else I'd have been fucked. I can say without a doubt that he's the hardest boss in the game at high world levels. His hits do a good 3000 damage each to my characters (though I haven't been prioritizing defense), and it's the first time Barbara's healing can't keep up since her elemental skill makes you vulnerable to freeze.

Got this drop, looks like it's going to be a gate to either leveling talents or level uncapping, since it only drops from lv70+ bosses. Also, finally got a legendary Gladiator set artifact that has good stats. Praise be!

xs1ehES.png

I am not going to uncap at AR45 until the game literally makes me for story progression sake. I'm seeing level 62 normal ass hilichurls now.

Haha, I'm going to do the same thing. I heard WL4 is a big jump up in difficulty so I'm going to level and ascend everyone and their weapons before I let it happen. This is better than say Skyrim where you can't control when the enemies level up with you.

Woah. So you still actually gain adventure rank even when you're at a cap, and as soon as you remove that cap, the next mission gives you all of your AR XP? If that's the case, I'm definitely going to wait to go past 35.

Pejo

Well, just did an experiment with the last of my resin for now - at world level 5 the XP leylines gives 4 purple books and 7 blues per run. Not terrible, but not great. I'm hoping for at least 2 elemental shards per "elite" boss (like the cubes/vines) per run. If not, they're really punishing people that jumped ahead.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Woah. So you still actually gain adventure rank even when you're at a cap, and as soon as you remove that cap, the next mission gives you all of your AR XP? If that's the case, I'm definitely going to wait to go past 35.
Had this happen the very first time I got capped. I didn't realize I had to do a quest to raise the cap so I just kept carrying on. I think I was AR25 for like a week. Then I realized it wasn't going up and investigated, did the ruins mission and immediately went up to like AR28.

Fake

Yes. They keep accumulating until you up your AR. Up your chars, up your weapons and up your talents before level up.

Saber

Gold Member
My brother dropped already another lvl 5 artifact while the game keep giving me shitty lvl 3 artifacts, with barelly any effect. Increasing the AR sure is rewarding, enemies is taking like 3 times more to beat. Won't be progressing any time soon.

LOLCats

Banned
so im like AR32, I've been playing the entire time without eating food in battle.

today i realized you just pause and eat the food.

i feel both stupid and hard core.

Pejo

God damn, world level 5 and the elemental elite bosses are still only dropping a single shard per kill. MiHoYo is brutal with these droprates.

so im like AR32, I've been playing the entire time without eating food in battle.

My gf just showed me literally this same thing tonight. The only time I've ever used food in battle previously was when I died, and the game doesn't pause then.

Last edited:

LOLCats

Banned
I just got Klee from my last pull. Hahahahahaha
lucky... i just got Noelle... and i just want sucrose lol... i know shes not great but i kinda like her.

My gf just showed me literally this same thing tonight. The only time I've ever used food in battle previously was when I died, and the game doesn't pause then.

I was thinking if there's hotkeys in the 1.1 revision for food then how are people eating food in battle right now... because these fucking oceanid's are sucking the life out of me and if I could just simply eat a little bit of food I'd be fine... well you just pause the goddamn game unbelievable! oceanids are so easy now...

Last edited:

MagnesG

Banned
lucky... i just got Noelle... and i just want sucrose lol... i know shes not great but i kinda like her.
Sucrose are kinda in my main team now with anemo team comp. in place, she had 1c that makes her skills having 2 slots so she's kinda good for farming energies midbattle. Added up with 50% atk book on switch, I think she's okay.

Last edited:

BJK

Glad I’ve been keeping tabs on this thread, as I’m AR 34 right now, and finally able to do most of the difficult content for the first tim, after focusing on Fischl & the Favonius Warbow. Beat both the Hydro elite (whose adds I couldn’t damage fast enough before) and the Wolf today, the latter of which gave me my first 5* artifact (Which, thank God, has attack stats on it!). Going to put off the AR 35 quest for a few weeks...give myself time to level up my core team & farm weapon / character enhancers.

Playing f2p on the PS4 meant no rerolls & no 5* character to start out with. I made it up to 60 draws on the Venti banner without hitting paydirt, though I did get a number of 4*s, including Bennett & Fischl on the last day of the banner, plus a few others (Ningguang, Sucrose, Noelle, Chongyun). Rocking MC (wind), Barbara (C2), Fischl, and Xiangling (C1) for the moment. Having an archer (sorry Amber) really changes the dynamics of a lot of combat, though it is annoying having to change her out every time I need Chongyun to break rocks. I’ve been relatively careful with XP material, as I haven’t used any of the purple mats from quests or treasure chests yet, so that I can bring someone else up to my main team fairly quickly if the opportunity presents itself.

I have enough currency to force a pity 5*, but I’m not sure about Klee. Having A 50% chance to draw a 5* from the element you feel most comfortable with - since Xiangling was the character I “mained” for most of the early levels - Is not the best situation for me. Just figured out how to initiate Klee’s character quest, so I will be giving her a trial (plus the trial run event for the free gems) before making a final decision whether to pull vs. wait to see what the next banner offers.

Pejo

Glad I’ve been keeping tabs on this thread, as I’m AR 34 right now, and finally able to do most of the difficult content for the first tim, after focusing on Fischl & the Favonius Warbow. Beat both the Hydro elite (whose adds I couldn’t damage fast enough before) and the Wolf today, the latter of which gave me my first 5* artifact (Which, thank God, has attack stats on it!). Going to put off the AR 35 quest for a few weeks...give myself time to level up my core team & farm weapon / character enhancers.

Playing f2p on the PS4 meant no rerolls & no 5* character to start out with. I made it up to 60 draws on the Venti banner without hitting paydirt, though I did get a number of 4*s, including Bennett & Fischl on the last day of the banner, plus a few others (Ningguang, Sucrose, Noelle, Chongyun). Rocking MC (wind), Barbara (C2), Fischl, and Xiangling (C1) for the moment. Having an archer (sorry Amber) really changes the dynamics of a lot of combat, though it is annoying having to change her out every time I need Chongyun to break rocks. I’ve been relatively careful with XP material, as I haven’t used any of the purple mats from quests or treasure chests yet, so that I can bring someone else up to my main team fairly quickly if the opportunity presents itself.

I have enough currency to force a pity 5*, but I’m not sure about Klee. Having A 50% chance to draw a 5* from the element you feel most comfortable with - since Xiangling was the character I “mained” for most of the early levels - Is not the best situation for me. Just figured out how to initiate Klee’s character quest, so I will be giving her a trial (plus the trial run event for the free gems) before making a final decision whether to pull vs. wait to see what the next banner offers.
For what it's worth, the next banner should feature Xiao, an Anemo (wind) spear user. One thing to note, you mentioned about having Xiangling and not going for Klee, but if you build a team with 2 of the same element, there's a boost to stats based on the elements. The 2x Fire party members is a flat (I think) 15% attack boost for all characters on the team. It's not enough that it's going to force 2 fire members in every team, but it's worth noting. You can see the bonuses in the party select menu somewhere, if I recall.

You're making the right move sticking at AR35 for a while. The paltry increase in rewards is not worth the extra kill time for pretty much all enemies across the board. It'd be different if you couldn't just craft what you need as far as higher tier materials, but you can and it's often beneficial to do so, if you have a character (like Sucrose) that gives a chances to return some of the materials when you craft.

In other news, I used nearly all of my resin today to try to get the materials to unbind Razor to 80 and still can't do it. I have been getting lots of purple tier artifacts though, which is nice I guess. I'm a little disappointed that the "elite" bosses don't get a bigger moveset as the world levels up, it's just a boring old stat increase (exponentially instead of linear too, which sucks). My kill times on the thunder cube boss has like doubled since world level 4.

Dregnel

i got my klee the first day but still trying to farm mora and exp books to play with her, there is definitely something wrong with this game and it surprises me a lot since I have been playing their other game HI3 for 2 years and basically they give you everything related to exp and money to lv up your characters.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
I just downloaded this. Level 9 atm, just started after seeing a bunch of people being impressed by it. I’m impressed by the production value and the music. I do see people mentioning a grind. I’m hoping I can play this until the end? Get to the credits and then maybe mess around a bit? I’d totally buy a game like this. Another Eden had that appeal at first, but I dropped it after a couple hours. I’m familiar with the F2P market, but I sorta wonder if they’ve put a veil on my head. I want to know if I’ll get what I want out of it before I invest my time.

MagnesG

Banned
I just downloaded this. Level 9 atm, just started after seeing a bunch of people being impressed by it. I’m impressed by the production value and the music. I do see people mentioning a grind. I’m hoping I can play this until the end? Get to the credits and then maybe mess around a bit? I’d totally buy a game like this. Another Eden had that appeal at first, but I dropped it after a couple hours. I’m familiar with the F2P market, but I sorta wonder if they’ve put a veil on my head. I want to know if I’ll get what I want out of it before I invest my time.
You could easily have 30 hours of playtime no money spent just from current contents.

MagnesG

Banned
Do you actually finish the game or is it an endless adventure? I saw on how long to beat that users logged 34ish hours to finish the main story. https://howlongtobeat.com/game?id=68133
This is an ongoing gacha game and new big content will be added periodically, with events in between. A new continent will be added for example in early Nov plus the current 2 continent.

I would say the game will last around 3-5 years until the main story is finished.

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member

The only time you'd need to eat food is the place where you can't. The fact you can't map key food sucks as well. (I forgot the correct term for it don't bully)

Top Bottom