• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Genshin Impact |OT| 4.0 (Fontaine) - Je m'appelle "la baleine"

Pejo

Gold Member
Leak of new character models I guess. The 2nd from the left on both top and bottom look like costumes for the main characters if you ask me though. I'm really feeling what BlackM1st BlackM1st described above, these are all the same design of a few layers of flappy clothes with different colors. Hope we get some armored characters or something different soon.

j955votwp4x51.jpg

BlackM1st

Banned
Leak of new character models I guess. The 2nd from the left on both top and bottom look like costumes for the main characters if you ask me though. I'm really feeling what BlackM1st BlackM1st described above, these are all the same design of a few layers of flappy clothes with different colors. Hope we get some armored characters or something different soon.

j955votwp4x51.jpg
I like the grey haired boy(?) with red eyes the most. Very samurai like aesthetics. Maybe he will get a katana and a small dagger? Would be cool.

InterMusketeer

Gold Member
these are all the same design of a few layers of flappy clothes with different colors. Hope we get some armored characters or something different soon.
That's probably got more to do with the fact that the China and Japan inspired regions are being released first. These new designs are probably Japan inspired. The little girl with the leaf on her head looks to be Tanuki-themed.

We're getting a lot of characters from those two regions, and not much else. I'm not sure what future regions we can expect after Japan, but hopefully it's very different from what we currently have access to.

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member

j955votwp4x51.jpg
Battle Nun is ok but I'm hating how copy paste these characters are. (sharing the same exoskeleton)

MagnesG

Banned
After I found out only the later levels reset rewards in Abyss, I decided to just hold off until I have 2 full teams built to 80. I just don't feel like chasing that right now.

Been grinding xp books for a few days now, still need ridiculous amounts of them. At least this is one grind that when it's done, it's done. Artifacts seem like the real endgame grind that could be endless depending on how bad you want god rolls on your substats. I've been really happy going a mix of ATK and energy recharge on most of my characters for now, I like the increased uptime on elemental Bursts instead of slightly higher attack damage. Plus I get a shit ton of Exile and Gladiator drops as secondary drops on bosses and stuff, so I haven't had to spend any effort actually farming artifacts.

What artifact sets are you guys using on your main characters?
I still think getting the Crit Rate stats to >50% is better for main DPS, and maybe x2 crit damage because having only good atk is not enough anymore. The easiest way is to get a *4/5 mask with crit rate as base. The other 4 will work as a *5 4 set as intended.

Support is another whole story though. They're purely build based on their functions. Barb uses Hp, noelle def.

Last edited:

j955votwp4x51.jpg
Saving all my primogems for Big Boob Waifu

LegendOfKage

Gold Member
Interesting but I'm not even sure what that was supposed to advertise. The upcoming patch? Childe banner? Weird little nugget.

The last two "Character tales" videos were for the last two banner characters, so I'm pretty sure that means Childe is the next banner.

Pejo

Gold Member
The last two "Character tales" videos were for the last two banner characters, so I'm pretty sure that means Childe is the next banner.
Time to dust off the ol' wish menu then. I think his playstyle looks like a lot of fun. I guess he can switch between bow and knives/thief blade looking thing at the expensive of an elemental skill or burst or something.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Did my final "farewell pull" with my remaining Primogems

maxresdefault.jpg

Is this a good character? I also got a 5 star book

5_skyward_atlas.jpg

I suppose I'll try them out when I pick the game back up.

Pejo

Gold Member
Did my final "farewell pull" with my remaining Primogems

Is this a good character? I also got a 5 star book

I suppose I'll try them out when I pick the game back up.
I mean I think you already know this but Keqing is one of the premier thunder DPS and that book is the best in slot for a good portion of mages. See you in a week!

LOLCats

Banned
anybody have any idea what happens in that last day between the end of the battle pass week and the end of the battle pass cycle, there is an extra day in there...

Last edited:

LegendOfKage

Gold Member
Time to dust off the ol' wish menu then. I think his playstyle looks like a lot of fun. I guess he can switch between bow and knives/thief blade looking thing at the expensive of an elemental skill or burst or something.

You might also want to watch this video. It seems 90 is a hard pity, but there's a soft pity that kicks in on your 76th pull.

Pejo

Gold Member
You might also want to watch this video. It seems 90 is a hard pity, but there's a soft pity that kicks in on your 76th pull.

That's like a 10 minute video to say "do single rolls instead of 10x" lol

Still, good to know that 75 is the soft cap. If I get unlucky and don't get him by 75, i'll finish out doing singles. Thanks for the tip!

crumbs

I guess I spent too much time messing around and exploring at AR25. When I finally did the AR26 ascension quest, I jumped all the way to AR30 and my world level jumped from 1 to 3. I suppose I need to start hitting up the bosses for more character ascension materials.

Pejo

Gold Member
I guess I spent too much time messing around and exploring at AR25. When I finally did the AR26 ascension quest, I jumped all the way to AR30 and my world level jumped from 1 to 3. I suppose I need to start hitting up the bosses for more character ascension materials.
That jump isn't so bad honestly, it's the world level 3-4 and 4-5 that really get annoying.

Fake

I guess the problem about AR are the buffs on the monster with are quite disproportionate with your chars leveling. I mean, I level up Lisa and she gets zero elemental mastery.

Pejo

Gold Member
I guess the problem about AR are the buffs on the monster with are quite disproportionate with your chars leveling. I mean, I level up Lisa and she gets zero elemental mastery.
Yea they literally just become damage sponges and do a ton of damage per hit, especially to underleveled characters. Average enemy level in my world right now at WL5 is around 70. One of those axe hilichurls can pretty much 2 shot my level 60 Fischl. Level 80 Razor barely gets scratched by the same attack, it's weird.

Saber

By the time your AR stops increasing, your characters can possibilly stay like 20 lvls above the enemies. That will leave you a safety cap to farm all the things you want with mininal to no trouple.

The next ascension quest is the real cancer. Your characters will not ascend until you hit AR 40. And by the time you got there, you will be in trouple because monsters will turn into damage spounges.

My recommendation is to stay in your cap until you're totally safe to move. I still regret not doing that.

crumbs

By the time your AR stops increasing, your characters can possibilly stay like 20 lvls above the enemies. That will leave you a safety cap to farm all the things you want with mininal to no trouple.

The next ascension quest is the real cancer. Your characters will not ascend until you hit AR 40. And by the time you got there, you will be in trouple because monsters will turn into damage spounges.

My recommendation is to stay in your cap until you're totally safe to move. I still regret not doing that.

Thanks for the tip. I should have been paying more attention to what AR level increases the world level, I was surprised that it only took 5 levels between world level 2 & 3. I'll be more mindful of ascension quests in the future.

So far, it's not a big deal, but I need to get enough of my characters ascended and leveled into the 40s so that all these fights with lvl 45+ enemies don't take so long. I'll work the bosses for materials, but I'm starting to get a bit bored of the same enemies. Maybe it's time for a break before the 1.1 update drops.

MagnesG

Banned
Thanks for the tip. I should have been paying more attention to what AR level increases the world level, I was surprised that it only took 5 levels between world level 2 & 3. I'll be more mindful of ascension quests in the future.

So far, it's not a big deal, but I need to get enough of my characters ascended and leveled into the 40s so that all these fights with lvl 45+ enemies don't take so long. I'll work the bosses for materials, but I'm starting to get a bit bored of the same enemies. Maybe it's time for a break before the 1.1 update drops.
Still I would say that even if it's hard when you reach W4 -5, loots do get better, bigger rewards for leylines and elite bosses with higher domains could also be accessed. The amount/quality per resin ratio is just higher.

I definitely suggest just focusing your full investment only on one or two for main DPS with the rest (2-3 or them) only functions as elemental reaction carriers/supportd. Don't waste your time and investment leveling, prepping all of their gears, they're extremely precious, using them on unused characters would only slow your progress.

Also don't even bother farming artifacts using resins until w5. Get crit rate and crit damage high ASAP for your main dps and everything will be a breeze.

Yea they literally just become damage sponges and do a ton of damage per hit, especially to underleveled characters. Average enemy level in my world right now at WL5 is around 70. One of those axe hilichurls can pretty much 2 shot my level 60 Fischl. Level 80 Razor barely gets scratched by the same attack, it's weird.
The damage formula in this game scales with level of character or enemies a lot. Like, a whole lot.

crumbs

I think I may have really screwed myself by not farming more character ascension materials when I was on world level 1. Now that I skipped world level 2 and went straight to 3, the bosses that drop the character ascension materials are all level 50, but my characters are stuck at level 40 and take crazy damage during these fights. I need to get good in a hurry

Pejo

Gold Member
I think I may have really screwed myself by not farming more character ascension materials when I was on world level 1. Now that I skipped world level 2 and went straight to 3, the bosses that drop the character ascension materials are all level 50, but my characters are stuck at level 40 and take crazy damage during these fights. I need to get good in a hurry
Something to consider, you can also co-op with people in lower world levels than yours and farm the early materials a little easier that way - if you can find someone in a lower world level to join.

Somewhere, Todd Howard is laughing

crumbs

Access to more bow users is appreciated. Childe looks like he could be interesting to play with the bow + melee combat.

Last edited:

Pejo

Gold Member
Interesting. So I guess Signora isn't the Cryo Archon, she's just one of the 10 or so underlings, and the theme of them are based off of a real life Italian play. A dude on reddit put together all of the names we have for now from the lore and the play, so here's the Fatui we'll likely end up seeing through the story:

ilftxs2z1mx51.png

*Edit* - here's the write-up about it for those interested

Okay, the image in question was released by Mihoyo a few days back as the confirmed Constellations of the Eleven Fatui Harbingers. Now first let's list all the "data points" that we definitely know about them so far:

Confirmed Harbinger titles are:

• Pulcinella, mentioned in dialogue and "seen" in the Teyvat Story preview
  • Capitano, mentioned in dialogue
  • Dottore, seen in the Manga
  • Scaramouche, mentioned in dialogue and seen in the Unreturned Stars event preview
  • Pantalone, mentioned in dialogue
  • Signora, encountered at the end of Prologue, Act 3
  • Sandrone, mentioned in the Sigil of Permission video
  • Tartaglia, encountered in Chapter 1, Act 1
Additionally all Harbingers also have an alternate alias or moniker apart from their official title (which by the way are just that, titles and not their actual real names, of which we actually know none of at the moment). These aliases are interestingly switched around in "introduction order" with their title depending on the language/localization of which version you are playing, i.e. in the Chinese version it goes [The Fair Lady], La Signora instead of [La Signora], the Fair Lady.

These aliases which we know of are:

• The "Rooster", Pulcinella (the figure of Pulcinella is derived from the name of chicken/rooster, as well as sporting a very prominent beak-like nose)
  • The "Captain", Capitano
  • The "Doctor/Professor", Dottore
  • The "Skirmisher", Scaramouche (derived from "little skirmisher")
  • The "Limitless/Unhindered", Pantalone (a very greedy, influential figure of a merchant)
  • The "Fair Lady", Signora
  • The "Puppet", Sandrone (the figure of Sandrone was a very prominent marionette character)
  • The "Childe/Young Lord", Tartaglia
Confirmed positions are:

• Pulcinella is the First
  • Scaramouche is the Sixth
  • Signora is the Eighth
  • Tartaglia is the Eleventh
Finally, the sole confirmed Constellation is:

• Tartaglia is Monocerus Caeli, i.e. "Celestial Narwhal"
Based on all that it's a safe assumption that the Constellations on this "round table" were arranged in descending order alternating left and right, i.e. top-most is No. 0 technically (the Fatui symbol as a whole of their organization), then it would follow No. 1 as first top-left, No. 2 first top right, etc. until bottom-most being No. 11.

So, for that to check out would the known positions/Harbingers fit into that? Well, Tartaglia is the Narwhal at No 11 that is a given. La Signora would as No. 8 have to go into the slot of the womanly figure, seems very appropriate. Scaramouche, the Skirmisher would slot into the clawed fist, seems okay, nothindg definite confirming but neither against it either. Pulcinella, the Rooster would be the the bird-like Plague Mask, very fitting.

Based on that assumption we can now assign other likely positions. Sandrone, the Puppet would obviously be No. 9. Pantalone, the mercantile, greedy, limitless would be the the spiraling hand at No. 7. Capitano would fit into No. 2 with the crossed blades. Dottore meanwhile would very likely be No. 3 with the apparent relic icon.

Position No. 4 meanwhile, while not confirmed, would very likely be the character of "Colombina", i.e. "little dove".

That actually leaves only two Constellations to guess work: No. 5 the relatively generic mask and No. 10 the (similar to Tartaglia's narwhal) very specifically unrelated moth.

Wonder if Scaramouche does the fandango

Last edited:
S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
All but confirmed at this point that the new banner will be:

• Childe (limited 5*)
  • Ningguang (there you go @SLoWMoTIoN)
  • Beidou
  • Diona (new ice bow)
I'm definitely going in on this, I wouldn't mind some constellations for my Ning and ice bow will be handy to have for freeze shenanigans.
Watch me get Childe dupes. :/

1.1 rundown of new features and items. Looks like an awesome QoL update for the most part. Glad I didn't go for those last Geo/Anemo Oculi because those items will make them much easier to find!

crumbs

I've kinda given up hoping for 5 star characters and instead want good 4 star character duplicates so I can built out constellations. At AR31, I've got plenty of 4 stars that I've invested in, so any new 4 stars better do something really interesting for me to invest in getting them leveled up. This leads to my next question:

I've haven't really played this type of FTP game before, but what's going to happen in the future, after more regions are unlocked and AR and world levels continue to increase, when you pull a new character? Will they eventually add something to make it easier to get a character quickly leveled up to be useful in your current world level? Maybe a 5 star is worth investing to get them up to speed, but if you pull a 4 star, it may be tough to justify resources just to get them to a usable level. Just curious how they plan to keep people interested in wishes, which I assume is their main revenue source.

BlackM1st

Banned
I've kinda given up hoping for 5 star characters and instead want good 4 star character duplicates so I can built out constellations. At AR31, I've got plenty of 4 stars that I've invested in, so any new 4 stars better do something really interesting for me to invest in getting them leveled up. This leads to my next question:

I've haven't really played this type of FTP game before, but what's going to happen in the future, after more regions are unlocked and AR and world levels continue to increase, when you pull a new character? Will they eventually add something to make it easier to get a character quickly leveled up to be useful in your current world level? Maybe a 5 star is worth investing to get them up to speed, but if you pull a 4 star, it may be tough to justify resources just to get them to a usable level. Just curious how they plan to keep people interested in wishes, which I assume is their main revenue source.
lolno. Very few gacha games do something like that.

Sooner or later power creep will get real and old characters will be left in a dust.You better hope that starter (free) characters will get some kind of a MOD/Rarity upgrade to be on par with the new ones.BTW All guides I saw say that your starting party pretty much trash unfortunately.

Main rule of this type of games imo is "always stick to meta". Don't waste resources/pulls on waifus/new cool looking characters only because you like their looks.

crumbs

Sooner or later power creep will get real and old characters will be left in a dust.You better hope that starter (free) characters will get some kind of a MOD/Rarity upgrade to be on par with the new ones.BTW All guides I saw say that your starting party pretty much trash unfortunately.

Main rule of this type of games imo is "always stick to meta". Don't waste resources/pulls on waifus/new cool looking characters only because you like their looks.

I don't use any of the free characters except for the MC, since she's my only anemo character at the moment.

So you're saying that in the future, the devs get around the need to "catch up" the level for "new" characters up by making them OP versus the current "old" characters? Sorry if I'm misunderstanding.

BlackM1st

Banned
I don't use any of the free characters except for the MC, since she's my only anemo character at the moment.

So you're saying that in the future, the devs get around the need to "catch up" the level for "new" characters up by making them OP versus the current "old" characters? Sorry if I'm misunderstanding.
Usually devs upgrade select few old chars instead of making new chars easier to get/upgrade.

For example your MC will become a 5 star instead of 3 star. But all new 5 star characters will still be hard to pull/fully upgrade.

This is a single player game so who cares about meta unless your goal is speedrunning the Abyss on YouTube?

What you're talking about is horrible gacha games with (often times mandatory) PvP where you have to whale constantly to show other players how big your wallet is compared to theirs. This game has literally nothing like that. Unlike Honkai, the Abyss here doesn't even have tiers or player rankings.

This game is closest to another story driven, single player gacha I'm very familiar with: FGO. In that game you do in fact roll for your waifus or husbandos, no one gives a fuck about meta except maybe a couple of powerful units which make your life easier while farming. Yeah, farming. Not clearing difficult content. No one fucking cares about meta for that.

More on point, if your ever played Honkai you would know that meta literally only matters if you're a whale trying to stay in the highest Abyss tier or get the most points in Memorial Arena. Neither of these things matter for anything and you can just ignore them and have fun with your waifus because Honkai has zero PvP and no reason to care about PvE rankings except your own level of boredom with real life.

Last edited:

Pejo

Gold Member

The way this works in other gacha games (even MiHoYo's other big one - Honkai Impact 3rd), is that by the time new characters come out en masse and we're already 2-3 areas deep, you will have naturally built up a surplus of xp books, mora, upgrade materials, etc. Like I said way early in this thread, in Honkai they actually turned character growth materials into currency because people had build up a huge surplus of it a year or two in, and had nothing to do with it. This is exactly how this game will play out. The reason they're purposefully stingy right now is because there's not enough content to carry interest in the game if you can build all of your characters in a few weeks. Once there's more game modes, more to do, they won't have to lean on character growth so heavily to make people log in and play each day. That's when you'll see your materials start to build up.

crumbs

The way this works in other gacha games (even MiHoYo's other big one - Honkai Impact 3rd), is that by the time new characters come out en masse and we're already 2-3 areas deep, you will have naturally built up a surplus of xp books, mora, upgrade materials, etc. Like I said way early in this thread, in Honkai they actually turned character growth materials into currency because people had build up a huge surplus of it a year or two in, and had nothing to do with it. This is exactly how this game will play out. The reason they're purposefully stingy right now is because there's not enough content to carry interest in the game if you can build all of your characters in a few weeks. Once there's more game modes, more to do, they won't have to lean on character growth so heavily to make people log in and play each day. That's when you'll see your materials start to build up.

Thank you for the explanation, it was very helpful. I'm getting to the point of trying to figure out how much more time I want to invest in the game going forward. I'm enjoying the exploration aspect and the story, but I wanted to get a feel for how these mechanics would play out over the course of the game's life.

BlackM1st

Banned
This is a single player game so who cares about meta unless your goal is speedrunning the Abyss on YouTube?

What you're talking about is horrible gacha games with (often times mandatory) PvP where you have to whale constantly to show other players how big your wallet is compared to theirs. This game has literally nothing like that. Unlike Honkai, the Abyss here doesn't even have tiers or player rankings.

This game is closest to another story driven, single player gacha I'm very familiar with: FGO. In that game you do in fact roll for your waifus or husbandos, no one gives a fuck about meta except maybe a couple of powerful units which make your life easier while farming. Yeah, farming. Not clearing difficult content. No one fucking cares about meta for that.

More on point, if your ever played Honkai you would know that meta literally only matters if you're a whale trying to stay in the highest Abyss tier or get the most points in Memorial Arena. Neither of these things matter for anything and you can just ignore them and have fun with your waifus because Honkai has zero PvP and no reason to care about PvE rankings except your own level of boredom with real life.
I wrote IMO, to each his own ofc. In the end it's all about fun and for me struggling with beating content/slowing down farm because of the char model is NO FUN. Maybe for you it's worth it. I dunno man. Also, I'm F2P, so I used to saving as much resources as I can.

BlackM1st

Banned
Thank you for the explanation, it was very helpful. I'm getting to the point of trying to figure out how much more time I want to invest in the game going forward. I'm enjoying the exploration aspect and the story, but I wanted to get a feel for how these mechanics would play out over the course of the game's life.
No matter the game, it will eventually boil down to : "login for daily, logout" and then to "login for daily, farm major event for limited currency until your eyes bleed".

Top Bottom