• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Genshin Impact |OT| 4.0 (Fontaine) - Je m'appelle "la baleine"

crumbs

1. The parry event was pretty half-baked, but it benefited from all the other Irodori festival activities completely lacking any kind of action. It's easy to seem compelling compared to flower arranging or taking pics of common materials. That said, I do hope they improve on the parry event and release a fleshed-out version in a future patch.

2. I usually prefer the events that have combat and trial characters, but this latest one is not doing it for me. The devs keep re-packaging the same combat event (team + trial characters + buff system) under different names, but none of them last long enough or give good enough rewards for it to be worth the time to max out their buff system.

3. The devs are stuck when it comes to how they tell their story. After all the criticism that MiHoYo took for having important story elements in the temporary Fischl + Mona + Scaramouche event back in 1.1, they seem to be avoiding having main story lore in the temporary events. Unfortunately, relevant archon quests are infrequently released, so the main story is now moving at a slow pace while we nibble around the edges of the main story with these temporary event quests. Hopefully we get scenes with the archons interacting, but they probably want to reserve it for the non-temporary quests. The consequence is that we have these awkward moments like Venti visiting Inazuma, but not interacting with the Shogun.

Last edited:

Pejo

3. The devs are stuck when it comes to how they tell their story. After all the criticism that MiHoYo took for having important story elements in the temporary Fischl + Mona + Scaramouche event back in 1.1, they seem to be avoiding having main story lore in the temporary events. Unfortunately, relevant archon quests are infrequently released, so the main story is now moving at a slow pace while we nibble around the edges of the main story with these temporary event quests. Hopefully we get scenes with the archons interacting, but they probably want to reserve it for the non-temporary quests. The consequence is that we have these awkward moments like Venti visiting Inazuma, but not interacting with the Shogun.
The only thing preventing them from rerunning Unreconciled Stars or adding it in as a "story key" (remember these? lmao) unlockable quest at any time is themselves. There's no reason why they couldn't do that and keep giving us compelling stories in events. I would prefer that actually. For as bad as the voiced quests are, you wonder why it takes them so long to make. I'd guess it's the voice acting, since they have to do it in what, 7 languages? This is why I vastly prefer the unvoiced world quests. They 1. don't assume that you're an idiot that woudn't understand the story and need Paimon to spell it out for you all the time, 2. dive deep into the lore and give you some things to think about, and 3. are actually decent length and complexity instead of just "go to quest marker, have Paimon talk to NPC, repeat 20 times".

Fake

Traveler lore was like taking turtle steps, but for fucking sake it was a brutal stop since Inazuma.

I really can't fucking understand 'why' his determination stopped since he confronted his sister. In my place I was 'fuck that, full time to know WTF happen for her to join the abyss'.

They really want to match Kingdom Hearts lore progression.

crumbs

The only thing preventing them from rerunning Unreconciled Stars or adding it in as a "story key" (remember these? lmao) unlockable quest at any time is themselves. There's no reason why they couldn't do that and keep giving us compelling stories in events. I would prefer that actually. For as bad as the voiced quests are, you wonder why it takes them so long to make. I'd guess it's the voice acting, since they have to do it in what, 7 languages? This is why I vastly prefer the unvoiced world quests. They 1. don't assume that you're an idiot that woudn't understand the story and need Paimon to spell it out for you all the time, 2. dive deep into the lore and give you some things to think about, and 3. are actually decent length and complexity instead of just "go to quest marker, have Paimon talk to NPC, repeat 20 times".

Totally agree. It seems like a waste for new players to miss out on a lot of old event story content, so giving them an opportunity to still experience them would be a good idea. Plus it would allow the devs to tie those quests into the main story without fear of new players not experiencing important story beats.

The devs would probably to want remove rewards from the "archived" stories to keep the FOMO motivation for players to complete the events when released, but that would be better than the current situation.

Last edited:

Pejo

Totally agree. It seems like a waste for new players to miss out on a lot of old event story content, so giving them an opportunity to still experience them would be a good idea. Plus it would allow the devs to tie those quests into the main story without fear of new players not experiencing important story beats.

The devs would probably to want remove rewards from the "archived" stories to keep the FOMO motivation for players to complete the events when released, but that would be better than the current situation.
Yea they would probably remove all the event rewards and the shops and stuff, but just toss in some primos, mora and XP books like they do for every other event and let people play the story.

I'm also still waiting for a cutscene viewer. I thought the archives would have it eventually, but it's still only voice lines.

Pejo

The QoL changes are so miniscule I wonder if my own needs are that different from whatever the majority of surveys and CN say.
I'd love to know what data they actually get from surveys. I'm curious what different regions' playerbase are saying in the surveys. Mostly the open-ended questions, not the "I enjoyed it/it was boring/etc" scantron stuff.

Here's hoping they're going to do a big QoL rollup for 3.0.

deanote666

254u8805mmv81.jpg
They forgot Klee!

crumbs

In terms of QoL, here's what I would like to see and what I have been including in my survey responses:

- 120FPS support for PC
- Android controller support
- Complete overhaul on the artifact leveling interface. Basically 85% of my artifacts are 5 stars, so there needs to be a better way to mark trash 5 stars so they're easier to use as fodder.
- Better sorting for craftable items in the Tea Pot. There's so many things you can craft now that there needs to be a faster way to find the items you want.
- For daily commissions, make it so that commissions can't appear on back to back days.

I think these are pretty realistic (i.e. they don't change the gacha monetization system), but I'm still not holding my breath that any will be implemented.

deanote666

I'm also still waiting for a cutscene viewer. I thought the archives would have it eventually, but it's still only voice lines.
jGzKJPb.jpg
Some of us evil, mobile users have screen recorders in our phones. *evil cackle*

Last edited:
Well now I'm curious, what's your beef with him?
He's boring. Every aspect of him. His design. His non-existent personality. He's flawless because he represents fake China. His kit is boring AF. Hold E for shield is not gameplay. To me he represents everything wrong with the game and the community. "He's an archon so he's interesting by default." No. "He's strong so his kit is fine, you should pull for him and use him!" No. He's no different from Bennett. They're both additions that make the game worse.

Fuz

Banned
- Complete overhaul on the artifact leveling interface. Basically 85% of my artifacts are 5 stars, so there needs to be a better way to mark trash 5 stars so they're easier to use as fodder.
We need to be able to mark artifacts as trash when we receive them, and IDEALLY they'd automatically be converted to XP pots.

I can't fucking stand anymore stopping every 2 domains to leel something useless up because I don't have space and can't loot.

crumbs

Mostly making a joke since there's a stigma against mobile users on this thread.

I added a screenshot as well to add to the joke.

Look on the bright side, mobile users won't have to take as much sh*t once the Switch version is released, right? :messenger_grinning_sweat: Which should be any day now....

Saber

I like that every time Traveler wants info about his relative nobody either doesn't give a shit or doesn't have anything at all. To the point of Dainslief being the only one really helping Traveler in that aspect. I'm at point where "theres no reason to visit the archons since they only are there to want you to fix their problems like a retard you are and won't gonna help you in the end anyway".

The QoL changes are so miniscule I wonder if my own needs are that different from whatever the majority of surveys and CN say.

Maybe they remember to finally fix Xynian in a few years, a few months before the server officially closes.

Last edited:

Pejo

He's boring. Every aspect of him. His design. His non-existent personality. He's flawless because he represents fake China. His kit is boring AF. Hold E for shield is not gameplay. To me he represents everything wrong with the game and the community. "He's an archon so he's interesting by default." No. "He's strong so his kit is fine, you should pull for him and use him!" No. He's no different from Bennett. They're both additions that make the game worse.
I play mine as a ER focused GEO damage Burst DPS (just so happens to also give shields). He's also my go-to when doing Multiplayer because he covers for bad players. I do see what you mean about him being Bennett as far as universally useful. As a Bennett hater, I understand.

jGzKJPb.jpg
Some of us evil, mobile users have screen recorders in our phones. *evil cackle*
Youtube is fine too, but I just wish it was in the game natively.

We need to be able to mark artifacts as trash when we receive them, and IDEALLY they'd automatically be converted to XP pots.

I can't fucking stand anymore stopping every 2 domains to leel something useless up because I don't have space and can't loot.
This is a great idea. The xp fodder material stuff already exists too, that stuff we can buy in our teapots. It'd be super convenient to examine them in the rewards screen and then turn them into that powder if you don't lock them. Also it'd take so much less time leveling up each artifact instead of watching the box fill up with 20 white and green artifacts and give me 1/100th of a bar. I'm adding this to future feedback (lol).

Maybe they remember to finally fix Xynian in a few years, a few months before the server officially closes.
As far as character buffs go, I think the best you and I can hope for is artifact sets or weapons that change something with their kit to make them usable. Like Kokomi's artifact set.

deanote666

No problem, but are mobile players struggling with storage space anw?
Depends on the phone. Genshin is currently 15.88gb on my phone. Version updates are typically 3-4gb.

My home internet is lame so I ended up hanging out at a Verizon store to use their wifi to download it all when I got my new phone.

BJK

There’s something magical about finishing the Battle Pass really early. From now until reset, I can run 4 domains a night, drop condensed resin, then condense 4 new ones and let the cycle start anew. Dailies take 10-15 minutes, and then I can spend the rest of my time doing whatever I want.

Down to just 6 electroculous to find…though I can stop at 5, since they give you one extra. Running around trying to find things I missed, I’ve also expanded my Sakura tree to Lv. 47. A welcome side effect of my looking for stuff to collect: I’m over 10k primogems for the first time since Zhongli rerun! I should have enough saved up to soft pity the next banner I have real interest in. (I’ll wait for early reports before pulling for Yelan since I have Childe C1.) I’m even coming up to soft pity on the standard banner…hoping for Mona (since she’s the only standard banner 5* I don’t have), or one of the weapons.

….and of course, killing everything in sight that drops handguards, since Yae and Shogun can’t get enough of the darn things.

Pejo

Leaks from a reliable leaker are saying the 2.7 banners are:

First half: Yelan + Xiao, Aqua + PJWS (Noelle/Barbie/Yanfei)

Second half: Itto, Redhorn + Memory of Dust (Shinobu/TBD)

Fuck my life worst case scenario for me. How do they expect me to pull for Kuki when it's on Itto's banner. Assssshooooolllleeeeesssss

Fake

Need to agree with you Pejo Pejo about China COVID problem, because we gonna get another double rewards, with is like not even two weeks ago event.

crumbs

Yelan's banner is pretty rough too. Not much on there that people would want at this point.
Yes, that banner would be a bummer if this rumor is accurate. I would guess that Noelle and Barbara are probably the most C6'd characters in the game. I'm probably at like C9 or 10 for Noelle.

Last edited:

Saber

Well how about that, theres 3 characters I use on a single banner.

You know...the guy who has a fuckin tons of characters and this barelly happens.

Anyway...my Barbara is max constelation, while Noelle is just 3 and Yanfei is zero. Problem is...I don't wanna Yelan and since the game isn't giving me shit I feel like they gonna toss her at me.

Fake

Yes, that banner would be a bummer if this rumor is accurate. I would guess that Noelle and Barbara are probably the most C6'd characters in the game. I'm probably at like C9 or 10 for Noelle.

If you disregard a hidden free Xingqiu again, yeah. Barbara was my first char at C6 and I not even use her.

I guess we're reaching the very end game. Nothing MiHoYo can do about, it's just the nature of every GaaS.

Unless or course they delete everyone progress in the game and make looks like an accident

Last edited:

crumbs

Finally getting around to exploring the Chasm, which reminded me of another thing to add to the QoL wish list: Gadget switching wheel interface.

It's kinda already there in the interface but it would be nice to switch between the lumenstone thing, the animal nets, and the seed box.

Fuz

Banned
Need to get this out of my chest since we're on the subject.

Genshin music is defiitely good-ish, but absolutely not even half as good as too many people paint it. Worst offenders are the usual moron brigade on reddit which paints it as the best music ever created. It's certainly appropriate and good ambience, the musicians are skilled and professional, but it's unimaginative and soulless. We still remember perfectly the music from (lets say) Ultima VI, a 32-year old game (but I can cite hundreds more), but I'm sure as hell nobody will remember a single note from Genshin in 20 years, apart from the most hardcore die-hard fanboys.

Last edited:

Fuz

Banned
By the way, have I become an unstoppable god of war or is the new combat event MUCH easier than any we had before?

Last edited:

Pejo

Genshin music is defiitely good-ish, but absolutely not even half as good as too many people paint it. Worst offenders are the usual moron brigade on reddit which paints it as the best music ever created. It's certainly appropriate and good ambience, but it's unimaginative and soulless. We still remember perfectly the music from (lets say) Ultima VI, a 32-year old game (but I can cite hundreds more), but I'm sure as hell nobody will remember a single note from Genshin in 20 years, apart from the most hardcore die-hard fanboys.
Well as you said, a lot of it is ambient music or battle themes, etc. It's more about setting a mood or a theme than being a banger that people bump to in their cars. For that, I think it accomplishes its goal way better than you're letting on. The spooky sounding themes for the spooky areas like Tsurumi. The happy open epic themes of Mondstadt's grasslands. The somber melody of Stormterror's domain. They all fit exceptionally well and I'd argue even match or surpass the visuals for setting the "stages" of the game. And some of the battle themes I have actually listened to outside of the game and find catchy. Unfortunately the most of the more prominent songs either are rarely heard because battles are often over too fast or because the big story fights are only done either once ever, or once a week.

So I understand if your general impression is that it's mostly relaxing elevator/background music, but it's still expertly composed, scored, and selected for just the right situations/areas/moments. It also doesn't help that they only give us access to the more passive songs in our teapots so far, none of the battle themes or cutscene music, etc. At least in my opinion.

By the way, have I become an unstoppable god of war or is the new combat event MUCH easier than any we had before?
Yea this has been my favorite battle event since the first Misty Dungeon. Sometimes you just wanna steamroll shit and not have to deal with awful debuff mechanics.

Last edited:
  • Thoughtful
Reactions: Fuz

Fuz

Banned
The spooky sounding themes for the spooky areas like Tsurumi. The happy open epic themes of Mondstadt's grasslands. The somber melody of Stormterror's domain.
Oh I agree, they do an excellent job of setting the tone.
And right now I can't remember any of them.
but it's still expertly composed, scored, and selected for just the right situations/areas/moments.
Agree on this point too, but it's a prime example of "composed by committee" - that's why I said they're soulless.

Just grumpy. Don't blame me, blame reddit fucktard fanboys. Also blame me for keep reading it.

Last edited:

Fake

Genshin music is defiitely good-ish, but absolutely not even half as good as too many people paint it. Worst offenders are the usual moron brigade on reddit which paints it as the best music ever created. It's certainly appropriate and good ambience, the musicians are skilled and professional, but it's unimaginative and soulless. We still remember perfectly the music from (lets say) Ultima VI, a 32-year old game (but I can cite hundreds more), but I'm sure as hell nobody will remember a single note from Genshin in 20 years, apart from the most hardcore die-hard fanboys.

You need to talk with Pokemon fans. They say like recent Pokemon games have the best OST of entire gaming community.

Pejo

oovk0go572w81.jpg

Eeauugghhh...this is from the upcoming livestream. So apparently the banner rumors were true. Fuck. Itto be gone!

Fake

'Hidden dreams in the depths'... sure. If you don't believe in hell.

Damn, will hard to try Yelan with that banner. I don't use none of those chars in her banner.

crumbs

After playing the latest event, I'm thinking I made a mistake in not pulling for Kokomi (this pains me to admit as I'm not a fan). I kinda pigeon-holed her in my mind as a healer, but her AOE hydro application is pretty impressive. This is why it would be nice to run character trials with your own characters, which would give a much better idea of how the trial character fits on your team.

In terms of upcoming hydro, I prefer Yelan's design to Kokomi, but her hydro application seems more "singe-target" focused, like Xingqiu. Very curious to play Yelan's trial.

Top Bottom