• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Genshin Impact |OT| 4.0 (Fontaine) - Je m'appelle "la baleine"

Pejo

I made a mistake in not pulling for Kokomi
SRadlBw.png

In terms of upcoming hydro, I prefer Yelan's design to Kokomi, but her hydro application seems more "singe-target" focused, like Xingqiu. Very curious to play Yelan's trial.
Just C6 her, then she gets big AoE splashes after the first 6 water applications. EZ PZ.

SSfox

IDK if i should pull Xiao, it's a character that i like and he's fun, also has his BiS weapon, but i feel i won't be interested much in the 4* that will be with him. Meanwhile i also want at least one Shinobu and some Gourous, but not Itto since i already have him, C1 sounds nice but it's not necessary.

deanote666

All this talk about the OST when I play with the sound off 99% of the time since I play mobile, don't want to dink with headphones.

Fake

IDK if i should pull Xiao, it's a character that i like and he's fun, also has his BiS weapon, but i feel i won't be interested much in the 4* that will be with him. Meanwhile i also want at least one Shinobu and some Gourous, but not Itto since i already have him, C1 sounds nice but it's not necessary.

Xiao is damn fun, his kit is the ultimate kit. Not more fun than others anemo in the game, especially Kaede, but is good.

My problem with Xiao are his constelation. C1 and C6 are the only worthy. The rest is so damn mix bag.

Pejo

Man I don't know what to do now. I was planning on pulling for C2 Yelan if I liked her playstyle/kit, but I don't need any of the 4*s on that banner. Then on top of it I don't want a pity to go towards Itto, but I want at least one copy of Shinobu to play around with.

This fucked up my whole primogems budgeting plan. It'd have been marginally better if Itto's banner was first so there was a chance (even rare) that I'd get Shinobu from Yelan's by being added to the general pool. But as it is, she won't even be in the pool until the 2nd half of 2.7.

I'm on my guarantee banner character with about 40 pulls to go for soft pity, maybe I just get one copy of Yelan and call it a day and wait for a (hopefully) better banner on rerun. Still dunno what to do with Shinobu though...

Man I don't know what to do now. I was planning on pulling for C2 Yelan if I liked her playstyle/kit, but I don't need any of the 4*s on that banner. Then on top of it I don't want a pity to go towards Itto, but I want at least one copy of Shinobu to play around with.

This fucked up my whole primogems budgeting plan. It'd have been marginally better if Itto's banner was first so there was a chance (even rare) that I'd get Shinobu from Yelan's by being added to the general pool. But as it is, she won't even be in the pool until the 2nd half of 2.7.

I'm on my guarantee banner character with about 40 pulls to go for soft pity, maybe I just get one copy of Yelan and call it a day and wait for a (hopefully) better banner on rerun. Still dunno what to do with Shinobu though...
Yeah, their banners are just messed up. Since you splurge occasionally I assume there's not many 4 stars you need, right? Starglitter at least gets you closer to another 5 star. That's how I see it anyway.

Cookie would be fun to have, but I don't think I'll risk it. She'll be back eventually. I don't have a team she'd fit in either. I also feel I should be satisfied with all the new characters I've gotten in the past few months. Additionally I want to dodge Gorou as much as possible.

I'm still on the fence when it comes to Yelan. She might be fun, but hard to say without playing her. I need another hydro character, but I'm sure there'll be a bunch of those in the future. I have Kokomi now so there's not that much pressure to get one. I think it'll come down to how strong she is with Yoimiya for me.

crumbs

Speaking of 4 stars, when do we think they will start to add newer 4 stars to the monthly shop? I assume they wouldn't remove any of the already available 4 stars, but maybe they can add a third option each month.

I don't really buy characters in the shop, but with long time players having an increasing number of C6 characters in their collection, it seems like adding some other options would be a good idea.

If MiHoYo need 6 to add to the current rotation of Paimon shop pairs, they could go with Chongyun, Sucrose, Diona, Xinyan, Rosaria, and Yanfei. All those characters have been out for at least a year.

Fake

Is putting 4 stars in the shop affect their money grab?

Never saw and don't know if will ever be there the new chars.

Pejo

Speaking of 4 stars, when do we think they will start to add newer 4 stars to the monthly shop? I assume they wouldn't remove any of the already available 4 stars, but maybe they can add a third option each month.

I don't really buy characters in the shop, but with long time players having an increasing number of C6 characters in their collection, it seems like adding some other options would be a good idea.

If MiHoYo need 6 to add to the current rotation of Paimon shop pairs, they could go with Chongyun, Sucrose, Diona, Xinyan, Rosaria, and Yanfei. All those characters have been out for at least a year.
In my opinion, the only characters you should buy (unless you're brand new), are the original freebie characters for constellations. They all become significantly more useful with constellations and there's no other way (currently) to get them other than lucking out/wasting pulls on standard banner. Regarding changing the rotation, I could see it for 2nd anni. I just personally wish there was something more worthwhile to get with stardust. Getting 1 extra free wish for pulling a C6 dupe just feels hollow.

Yeah, their banners are just messed up. Since you splurge occasionally I assume there's not many 4 stars you need, right? Starglitter at least gets you closer to another 5 star. That's how I see it anyway.

Cookie would be fun to have, but I don't think I'll risk it. She'll be back eventually. I don't have a team she'd fit in either. I also feel I should be satisfied with all the new characters I've gotten in the past few months. Additionally I want to dodge Gorou as much as possible.

I'm still on the fence when it comes to Yelan. She might be fun, but hard to say without playing her. I need another hydro character, but I'm sure there'll be a bunch of those in the future. I have Kokomi now so there's not that much pressure to get one. I think it'll come down to how strong she is with Yoimiya for me.
Yea most of the older 4*s I have at c6. Only a few of the newer ones would even give me anything new, and I don't use any of those characters (Gorou/Thoma/Yun Jin).

Just by Shinobu being an off-field healer and electro applicator, she opens up a lot of team possibilities. If you play Childe/Kokomi/I guess Ayato taser teams, she's going to be amazing for harder content where you need the heals. Also a simple fit into any physical team to apply superconduct with huge uptime and reliability. There wasn't previously any healing character that would work in such a team except Diona, and two of the most used Physical characters are already Cryo (Eula/Rosaria), so she only brought a shield and a battery for them, you still had to use an electro in the party to get your superconduct. If you're not interested in taser or physical teams, then yea she's probably not doing much for you currently, but those are two of my favorite team types.

Yelan looks good and fills a niche for me since I refuse to use Waterboi. If you already invested in him, she seems like a (cooler) slight upgrade, not essential. I'm mostly just ready to pull since I've been saving since Yae and I'm interested in trying out some vape stuff. Not to mention many leaks say that her kit design was made with Dendro in mind, and will be a good character in Sumeru.

crumbs

Is putting 4 stars in the shop affect their money grab?

Never saw and don't know if will ever be there the new chars.

Not sure about the financials. What made me think about it was reviewing the monthly shop updates and almost always having one of the 4 stars unavailable since I already have them at C6.

In my opinion, the only characters you should buy (unless you're brand new), are the original freebie characters for constellations. They all become significantly more useful with constellations and there's no other way (currently) to get them other than lucking out/wasting pulls on standard banner. Regarding changing the rotation, I could see it for 2nd anni. I just personally wish there was something more worthwhile to get with stardust. Getting 1 extra free wish for pulling a C6 dupe just feels hollow.

Yea most of the older 4*s I have at c6. Only a few of the newer ones would even give me anything new, and I don't use any of those characters (Gorou/Thoma/Yun Jin).

I've only bought one character in the shop: Ningguang to get her to C6 since I was impatient. Otherwise, it's probably better to spend on wishes instead.

Yes, getting what amounts to a single wish for a C6+ does suck since it probably took 10 wishes to get to that 4 star pity. My preference would be for any C6 characters to be removed from your pool of gacha characters.

Pejo

Yes, getting what amounts to a single wish for a C6+ does suck since it probably took 10 wishes to get to that 4 star pity. My preference would be for any C6 characters to be removed from your pool of gacha characters.
F2P are going to hate me for even suggesting this, but I wish that after you got C6, when you pull them, you get additional (universal) character strengthening resources, like an awakening system or something to increase base ATK or HP, give permanent skill cooldown reductions, etc. That sort of thing. Something hard to get and a long grind, but at least something that you could customize your characters a bit. If you wanted to make a 1k base attack Amber, then do it. Since there's no direct PVP or even rankings, there's no harm in a bit of imbalance between different players' characters and it's more enticing than a free wish or an eventual Blackcliff weapon. I'd even be ok if it was strictly something you could use to strengthen only 4* characters, to bring them more in line with 5*s.

*edit*

t44d0d7wx2w81.png

Last edited:
So you're mostly just disappointed Cookie isn't on there? Let's hope for a delayed patch I guess!

Yelan looks good and fills a niche for me since I refuse to use Waterboi. If you already invested in him, she seems like a (cooler) slight upgrade, not essential. I'm mostly just ready to pull since I've been saving since Yae and I'm interested in trying out some vape stuff. Not to mention many leaks say that her kit design was made with Dendro in mind, and will be a good character in Sumeru.
I've been seeing a lot of speculation that C0 Yelan isn't even an upgrade to C6 Xingqiu. I don't use him because he looks like that, but it still irks me that I'd be spending primos on (potentially) a downgrade. Having another hydro support right now isn't that important to me. I guess I'm approaching the point where I have 2 powerful teams for abyss and 99% of the content, so everything else is just nice to have.

F2P are going to hate me for even suggesting this, but I wish that after you got C6, when you pull them, you get additional (universal) character strengthening resources, like an awakening system or something to increase base ATK or HP, give permanent skill cooldown reductions, etc. That sort of thing. Something hard to get and a long grind, but at least something that you could customize your characters a bit. If you wanted to make a 1k base attack Amber, then do it. Since there's no direct PVP or even rankings, there's no harm in a bit of imbalance between different players' characters.
Only everyone's gonna use that stuff on their Bennett, Xiangling and Xingqiu and then they'll start requiring even more DPS and element checks in abyss, destroying what little balance there was left. I like the concept, because turning your underpowered 4 stars into fighting machines would be fun. Ultimately it'll just be abused to further wreck the game though.

Fake

Is Yelan a support? Still not getting the comparisons between Yelan and Xingu.

And as a Xingu user myself, very unlikely I'll replace him for Yelan, in fact they can both work together I guess?

Pejo

So you're mostly just disappointed Cookie isn't on there? Let's hope for a delayed patch I guess!
Yea, especially when I chase constellations, I like there to be at least SOMETHING else worthwhile out there. Again, this is all up in the air until after I try her out.
I've been seeing a lot of speculation that C0 Yelan isn't even an upgrade to C6 Xingqiu. I don't use him because he looks like that, but it still irks me that I'd be spending primos on (potentially) a downgrade. Having another hydro support right now isn't that important to me. I guess I'm approaching the point where I have 2 powerful teams for abyss and 99% of the content, so everything else is just nice to have.
Yea, the posts as of the last version of the Beta was that waterboi at C6 was better than Yelan at C0 at strictly providing hydro application specifically for Hu Tao (the most meta configuration I guess). She likely provides more individual damage, but applied Hydro at a slower rate so that not all of Hu Tao's charge attacks would vape, causing a big net decrease in damage in that situation. That's why I'm suspecting she's going to be better/good when Dendro hits.
Only everyone's gonna use that stuff on their Bennett, Xiangling and Xingqiu and then they'll start requiring even more DPS and element checks in abyss, destroying what little balance there was left. I like the concept, because turning your underpowered 4 stars into fighting machines would be fun. Ultimately it'll just be abused to further wreck the game though.
You bring up a good point of course, but again - who cares if somebody wants to beef their Bennett or Xiangling. Too much of this game is too strict, giving us the ability to buff whatever characters we want to make them more usable sounds fun and gives each account a bit of individuality. You do bring up a good point about MHY balancing shit for mega-benny though, which could suck.

Is Yelan a support? Still not getting the comparisons between Yelan and Xingu.

And as a Xingu user myself, very unlikely I'll replace him for Yelan, in fact they can both work together I guess?
Hard to say since a lot of Beta testers don't seem to be that good at the game. There was that one leaker showing Yelan + Hu Tao by doing 2 normal attacks and then jump canceling, which apparently he thought was her highest damage per second chain. So yea, I'll wait until I can play her myself or at least some of the better 'tubers get a chance to math her out. At the very least, though, she is a support that fills the same niche as Xingqiu. I don't believe in using 2 Hydro characters in team unless you really have to, since the Hydro resonance is by far the worst one.

Fuz

Banned
Man, I love when I finish BP and there's no event going on. So I can log, do my 4 commissions and logout and play something else.

Which leads to... I don't think the game is in a good state now, for longtime players. New players will have a blast, of course. But the gameplay is stale. The events are just not fun. The characters are just not that interesting, for a reason or another. The lore/meaningful stories are given out with a dropper and they're never that significant.

Are you guys still having fun?

Saber

Not fun at all.

Both me and my brother are in the same state as you. Logs, comission, resin, log out. Game is dead again, again.

• Strength
Reactions: Fuz

crumbs

Man, I love when I finish BP and there's no event going on. So I can log, do my 4 commissions and logout and play something else.

Which leads to... I don't think the game is in a good state now, for longtime players. New players will have a blast, of course. But the gameplay is stale. The events are just not fun. The characters are just not that interesting, for a reason or another. The lore/meaningful stories are given out with a dropper and they're never that significant.

Are you guys still having fun?
I'm still enjoying GI, but I benefited from not playing the game for a couple months, which covered 2.0 through 2.2. I did miss a couple of events & had to wait for certain character reruns, but the plus side was that I've had all of Inzauma + Enka + Chasm to explore since I resumed playing (I also took a 2 week break due to work at the end of March). I think taking real breaks, i.e. not playing at all, even dailies, is important for me going forward. I'll be closely watching the next couple of patches for opportunity to stop playing, with the idea to return when Sumeru is released.

That said, I agree with most of your complaints. The devs seem to be struggling with new characters and the story is developing so slowly. For a game designed to induce players to spend money on wishes, the last few patches have been really lacking.

My biggest fear when I started GI was the gacha mechanics because I had never really played this type of game before. I was afraid of being locked out of content because I wasn't a big spender, but that hasn't been an issue. Now the concern is that GI is a mobile game at heart and how that is effecting the game's development, especially with story telling and introducing new gameplay mechanics. I can only imagine the difficulty of designing new gameplay that works for a player on a small touchscreen, but it also satisfying to players on a controller or KB + M.

Reactions: Fuz

Pejo

I think it's just that we're hitting an "end of version" wall. They're obviously holding on to a lot of stuff to release in 3.0 with Sumeru etc.

Regarding the complaints that the game has gotten stale, I understand but don't agree. Genshin more than any other AAA on the market has given players ridiculous amounts of content, potentially completely for free. We've gotten so many different types of events, some hits, but a lot of misses. Still, you can't say that they don't try to shake it up. For as much as I hate Mechanicus, at least it's a different mode built within the confines on the game. They had the dungeon builder, several types of combat events, festivals, the entire teapot system which was way more than I was expecting for a "player housing" feature, flower designing, food events (bleeggghh), etc etc etc.

Not to mention that the last 3 areas have been super high quality, with tons of effort put in by the visuals, music, design/puzzle, and the world lore teams. It's understandable if you don't care about the story or lore, but it's hard to argue that they haven't been doing their part on it.

I think it's perfectly reasonable to get tired of playing the game everyday and to take a break. Can you imagine playing BotW straight every day for a year and a half? Or any game, regardless of how good it is. I don't really mind personally since I've played a lot of gachas in the past (and MMOs before that) and the "log in and do dailies" thing is a total non issue for me, but I do get the burnout.

If anything, I think the quality of the content released consistently has gone up, disregarding personal taste for some of the events.

If you guys need a break, this is probably the best time to take one. Go do other things, refresh yourselves, and get ready to come back for 3.0, which I'm assuming is coming directly after 2.8 personally.

*edit*

Looks like the livestream is delayed due to the Shanghai COVID situation:
3syu9u1yu8w81.png

Last edited:
I'm pretty happy with the game because I've been pulling. It's that simple. Pulling itself is fun, but having concrete goals to work towards makes some of the old, stale content seem less bad. It also gives you a reason to farm new bosses and domains. A lot of the content in this game is tied to characters, so if you don't get those, you lose out in more than one way. But even exploring new areas like the Chasm is more enjoyable with a new character. It elevates everything and hides some of the game's flaws.

That's why it sucks that banners stick around for such a long time. If you decide to skip Ayaka you're just waiting three weeks for a new banner, which potentially features another character you don't care about.

I've never taken a break from this game. I don't mind playing ten to fifteen minutes a day. That's the perfect amount of time to enjoy the combat and characters and I'm happy to add the freemogems to the hoard.

deanote666

That's why it sucks that banners stick around for such a long time. If you decide to skip Ayaka you're just waiting three weeks for a new banner, which potentially features another character you don't care about.
This is necessary since it allows players to save up between banners, feel less of the hit if they have to spend to get the character.

This would also involve them pumping out a lot more characters faster or it would just be the same ones over and over again, causing a decrease in hype when they come back around.

This is necessary since it allows players to save up between banners, feel less of the hit if they have to spend to get the character.

This would also involve them pumping out a lot more characters faster or it would just be the same ones over and over again, causing a decrease in hype when they come back around.
People waited an entire year for Albedo, Ganyu and Xiao reruns. We're approaching a full year for Kazuha and Yoimiya too. I think they can afford to speed things up a bit.

Pejo

People waited an entire year for Albedo, Ganyu and Xiao reruns. We're approaching a full year for Kazuha and Yoimiya too. I think they can afford to speed things up a bit.
Manufactured scarcity is a staple of shit gacha practices that all of these companies use. It's insidious but I'm 100% positive it works really well to drive up purchases, so we aren't likely to see any improvements.

crumbs

OOOOOOOR...

They could give us more primos in a shorter time.

Head In The Clouds Dreaming GIF by kimburgerly

The last few patches, there seems to be more interest in the reruns than the new character banners. They could really use knockout new character right about now, but I'm guessing we'll need to wait for 3.0.

Pejo

The last few patches, there seems to be more interest in the reruns than the new character banners. They could really use knockout new character right about now, but I'm guessing we'll need to wait for 3.0.
The worst part is that out of the few Dendro characters we know about, I don't like the designs of any of them. From those that we've seen, you have snake dandy, Yoyo the Dendroli, and Cyno. There are rumors about that Henzou ninja guy being Dendro (but apparently they got rid of his mustache, so minus 10 points there), and Collei from the manga. I think all of the rest of the Archons are female though, so I have hope that the Dendro Archon will be good and have a great design. I remember how down everyone was on Raiden Shogun when her early design leaked, but she ended up being pretty great.

crumbs

The worst part is that out of the few Dendro characters we know about, I don't like the designs of any of them. From those that we've seen, you have snake dandy, Yoyo the Dendroli, and Cyno. There are rumors about that Henzou ninja guy being Dendro (but apparently they got rid of his mustache, so minus 10 points there), and Collei from the manga. I think all of the rest of the Archons are female though, so I have hope that the Dendro Archon will be good and have a great design. I remember how down everyone was on Raiden Shogun when her early design leaked, but she ended up being pretty great.
Maybe they'll surprise us and sneak a good character in right before 3.0.

I remember when Kazuha was coming out just before 2.0, there was a lot of talk about him being a easy skip since he's just an expensive Sucrose and to keep saving for the 2.0+ Inazuma characters. To be fair, saving for Ayaka or the Shogun still worked out for most folks, but Kazuha ended up being one of the better, more universal characters. I'm very curious to see how his banner rerun does.

Pejo

2.7 Trailer leak.

*edit*

Looks like just the character introductions, not the full trailer.

Last edited:

SSfox

So 2.7 Update and Live are being delayed, wonder how and what they're gonna put after Ayaka banner and before 2.7.

Maybe another Tarta Banner?

Pejo

So 2.7 Update and Live are being delayed, wonder how and what they're gonna put after Ayaka banner and before 2.7.

Maybe another Tarta Banner?
Well the delay of the patch hasn't been announced or anything yet, so far it's just a delay of the livestream, but it definitely could happen.

Pejo

Sounds like the update also will be delay

And there it is. Hopefully they at least extend the double leylines. I'm stocking up on Mora with nothing to do in the game.

I actually started achievement hunting and cooking at least 1 of every dish to fill out the archive. Still have Yun Jin and the male characters hangouts to do too.

I'm down to only 2 characters that aren't level 10 friendship too. Wish I could change the ones I have in my teapot...

They did Venti first because no one would care about him if he came after Kazuha. The event also featured Klee and Yoimiya and those weren't on banners. They just do whatever's convenient for the banners. It's not based on events or story, that's just a lame excuse.

Saber

And there it is. Hopefully they at least extend the double leylines. I'm stocking up on Mora with nothing to do in the game.

I actually started achievement hunting and cooking at least 1 of every dish to fill out the archive. Still have Yun Jin and the male characters hangouts to do too.

I'm down to only 2 characters that aren't level 10 friendship too. Wish I could change the ones I have in my teapot...

I did so much Ley lines that I already got the last archievment for leylines. I also got the last archievment for max friendships(Yun Jin was the last one).

Btw, did the Ayato banner went well just because of him? Or was he inflated by Venti?

In JP he was outpacing Shogun at one point, I never looked for his final numbers. That day I lost faith in JP players.
Last I heard it's the most profitable banner(s) in JP. In China they did about as well as the initial Klee banner.

I did so much Ley lines that I already got the last archievment for leylines. I also got the last archievment for max friendships(Yun Jin was the last one).

Btw, did the Ayato banner went well just because of him? Or was he inflated by Venti?
What did you do all those ley lines for? Are you leveling an obscene amount of characters or what? I literally only do them when there's double rewards.

It's impossible to know which banner contributed the most because we just get total revenue numbers. Venti was never very popular in JP apparently, so it's likely they spent for Ayato.

Top Bottom