• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Genshin Impact |OT| 4.0 (Fontaine) - Je m'appelle "la baleine"

sandkiller

I think the rumors say to Dec 23.

Edit: It seems like the devs are releasing these in 6 week increments, since 1.3 is supposed to drop in Feb.

That's around the date the current banner ends i think...
Not interested in zhongli so i'm saving my primos for now...

Pejo

Gold Member
I don't like the sound of this one. I do ley lines and domains without collecting the rewards just to do the weekly missions. Hope they don't force the resin payment.
They didn't mention it directly, but I think this was done because of Venti griefers in Multiplayer, not because people complained about having to pick up drops. If you had Venti with full Burst at the end of a domain, you could aim it off the edge and it would suck player's drops off the edge before they had a chance to pick them up. Kinda shitty, but if you suicided off the edge they'd come back on reload. I doubt most people would realize that though, and just think they lost all of their drops.

I think it might be more of a problem with geo itself as a mechanic than zhongli but I can't say for certain as I still don't have him.
And about Qiqi, I'm definitely needing more healing output at world rank 5 now since enemies hit much harder than before and one herald of frost "tick" is not being enough to fully heal a char in most cases.
The thing about that though is you need Qiqi right now, but once you level/gear up, she becomes irrelevant again outside of cryo reactions. I agree that she was handy until I got sufficiently powered up, now she barely sees any play outside of the Oceanid, where she's great because of the mostly unavoidable damage. If we had more encounters like that, a better case could be made for healers, but I honestly don't want more encounters like that lol.

Reactions: Fuz
They didn't mention it directly, but I think this was done because of Venti griefers in Multiplayer, not because people complained about having to pick up drops. If you had Venti with full Burst at the end of a domain, you could aim it off the edge and it would suck player's drops off the edge before they had a chance to pick them up. Kinda shitty, but if you suicided off the edge they'd come back on reload. I doubt most people would realize that though, and just think they lost all of their drops.

The thing about that though is you need Qiqi right now, but once you level/gear up, she becomes irrelevant again outside of cryo reactions. I agree that she was handy until I got sufficiently powered up, now she barely sees any play outside of the Oceanid, where she's great because of the mostly unavoidable damage. If we had more encounters like that, a better case could be made for healers, but I honestly don't want more encounters like that lol.

Yeah elemental reactions are the most efficient way to play the game currently, specially superconduct which is op as hell. I combo Fischl with qiqi all the time.

Saber

Yeah elemental reactions are the most efficient way to play the game currently, specially superconduct which is op as hell. I combo Fischl with qiqi all the time.

Fischl and Barbara in my case, so yeah.
But thats not to say this elemental reaction is that OP. Consider yourself taking the same elemental reaction and see how it goes. Its way too abusive when monsters do it to players. Super-charge and Dendro-fire burn for instance almost kills any character over a very small amount of time.

Last edited:
Fischl and Barbara in my case, so yeah.
But thats not to say this elemental reaction is that OP. Consider yourself taking the same elemental reaction and see how it goes. Its way too abusive when monsters do it to players. Super-charge and Dendro-fire burn for instance almost kills any character over a very small amount of time.

True but superconduct is broken because it also reduces DEF.

Pejo

Gold Member
Is there some secret with the Anemo boss to down it early? I know when he hits a threshold near death he goes invulnerable and spits out those orbs you have to collect while gliding, or else he gains back significant health. When I collect all 4 though, he still has regained a bit of health, and it seems like it forces you through another phase before you can finish him off for good. Is there some trick I'm missing to end him after the orbs part? I tried shooting the diamond with an arrow, Ning's stone shards, swords, spears, etc, and it doesn't seem like you can hit it while it's transparent.

sublimit

Banned
Is there some secret with the Anemo boss to down it early? I know when he hits a threshold near death he goes invulnerable and spits out those orbs you have to collect while gliding, or else he gains back significant health. When I collect all 4 though, he still has regained a bit of health, and it seems like it forces you through another phase before you can finish him off for good. Is there some trick I'm missing to end him after the orbs part? I tried shooting the diamond with an arrow, Ning's stone shards, swords, spears, etc, and it doesn't seem like you can hit it while it's transparent.
Once i collected the orbs it was left with very little health so i just kept hammering it and it fell down in seconds. I don't remember which element helped me the most but it was either Ice or Electro (or a combination of both).

Pejo

Gold Member
Once i collected the orbs it was left with very little health so i just kept hammering it and it fell down in seconds. I don't remember which element helped me the most but it was either Ice or Electro (or a combination of both).
Yea that's the general pattern I do, but it just feels like there should be a way to end it immediately after the orbs have been collected. Maybe not though, since you can't really cheat out the last phase of Electro/Geo cubes either.

I think it might be more of a problem with geo itself as a mechanic than zhongli but I can't say for certain as I still don't have him.
And about Qiqi, I'm definitely needing more healing output at world rank 5 now since enemies hit much harder than before and one herald of frost "tick" is not being enough to fully heal a char in most cases.
Ningguang can be a DPS monster when used right so if they buffed Geo itself then Ning would become a God.
Qiqi heals by attacking things when her E is active. Yes this will lower your DPS, deal with it.

sublimit

Banned
Does anyone follow the story in this game? When i started it i tried to read everything(except books) but it soon bored me to death since the game throws you tons of story junk. Now i skip everything.

Last edited:

Moochi

Does anyone follow the story in this game? When i started it i tried to read everything(except books) but it soon bored me to death since the game throws you tons of story junk. Now i skip everything.
I think it's all very good for the genre. The story quests are better than a lot of AAA games by Square Enix.

MagnesG

Banned
Just don't bother much with the books and you'll have a good time.

Saber

Nice to know of this gliding event. Pyrogems and freebies for doing gold ranks certainly its a win. The more free stuff the merrier.

Pejo

Gold Member
The story has been pretty good so far, but I love games that really expand on the world lore and stuff, which I think this game does really, really well. I only hope that unlike most games, it actually has a payoff for all the world lore they've added through NPCs, flavor text, and books. I'm imaging near version 2.0 in a year or whatever, we should get hit with the big "twist", I just hope it doesn't invalidate all the cool world lore they already made with some bullshit like "we were in a simulation and now we're out in the 'real world' lol".

A little fun theory I've seen -
The archons and gods are ruling the normal people of Teyvat, which is a real world separated off by some sort of dimensional rift/barrier. They are doing this in order to keep the technological level of Teyvat relatively middle-ages so that they don't get noticed/invaded by aliens/superior beings (something like the reapers from Mass Effect). This is what happened during the great Archon war that caused all sorts of alients or superior beings to fight for the world. This also would tie in to the goddess at the beginning cutscene that talks about the arrogance of man etc. I suspect that after Teyvat is fully opened, we will cross this dimensional rift/barrier into an entirely new world, possibly at a different technological/societal level. Outside of the various worlds is where the gods/archons live, and probably is where the Traveler is originally from. This is also likely the place that people "Ascend" to after they die in one way or another as hinted by the various story bits.

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
2 fucking Chons

Well, time to uninstall Genshin.

The story has been pretty good so far, but I love games that really expand on the world lore and stuff, which I think this game does really, really well. I only hope that unlike most games, it actually has a payoff for all the world lore they've added through NPCs, flavor text, and books. I'm imaging near version 2.0 in a year or whatever, we should get hit with the big "twist", I just hope it doesn't invalidate all the cool world lore they already made with some bullshit like "we were in a simulation and now we're out in the 'real world' lol".

A little fun theory I've seen -
The archons and gods are ruling the normal people of Teyvat, which is a real world separated off by some sort of dimensional rift/barrier. They are doing this in order to keep the technological level of Teyvat relatively middle-ages so that they don't get noticed/invaded by aliens/superior beings (something like the reapers from Mass Effect). This is what happened during the great Archon war that caused all sorts of alients or superior beings to fight for the world. This also would tie in to the goddess at the beginning cutscene that talks about the arrogance of man etc. I suspect that after Teyvat is fully opened, we will cross this dimensional rift/barrier into an entirely new world, possibly at a different technological/societal level. Outside of the various worlds is where the gods/archons live, and probably is where the Traveler is originally from. This is also likely the place that people "Ascend" to after they die in one way or another as hinted by the various story bits.
The great war happened only because of power struggles. The Travelers are from their own world and this has been said before. They were literally hoping around until they encountered the "goddess" of this world that proceeded to kick their ass and brainwash one of em.

crumbs

2 fucking Chons

Well, time to uninstall Genshin.

I'm getting the impression that I'm the only person that uses Chongyun.

I was hoping to get some of his dups on the current character banner and ended up with one Chongyun on 50 pulls, all while getting 3 Xinyans :messenger_frowning_ (and a Keqing, so I'm not complaining).

Today, I got a couple of standard fate wishes for the permanent banner from the battle pass, so of course I pulled a Chongyun and the Rust Bow. Funny how things work out sometimes.

Moochi

10th roll on the bannerI, I got the much maligned Zhongli. Not sure how to build him, but thinking phys damage with bloodstained set. I need another main dps. Hopefully he gets a buff or something.

Pejo

Gold Member
I'm getting the impression that I'm the only person that uses Chongyun.

I was hoping to get some of his dups on the current character banner and ended up with one Chongyun on 50 pulls, all while getting 3 Xinyans :messenger_frowning_ (and a Keqing, so I'm not complaining).

Today, I got a couple of standard fate wishes for the permanent banner from the battle pass, so of course I pulled a Chongyun and the Rust Bow. Funny how things work out sometimes.
Problem with Chong is that he turns all of your subsequent attacks into Cryo, when you don't always want that. Otherwise, he's pretty good. I don't personally use him, but my gf does in her main party.

10th roll on the bannerI, I got the much maligned Zhongli. Not sure how to build him, but thinking phys damage with bloodstained set. I need another main dps. Hopefully he gets a buff or something.
Phys damage bonus seems to be the general consensus for now at least. His geo damage sucks, so ignore that unless you're trying for a Burst spamming build for his meteor.

BlackM1st

Banned
Traveler's once visited our world. And it was modern enough to have mimes lol

I have a feeling that story and gameplay power levels are very different. Looks like our traveler can mop the floor with each and every "god" he ever met.

But because miho needs to sell new characters to us , we stuck with a c-tier average Joe)

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
How often do we get new banners?

Once a month. The promotional banners always run for around 25 days or so. I think it is usually going to coincide with a content update judging how everything ties together with new content, the 6 week battle pass duration and what have you.

Reactions: Fuz
Unless he's your best option for main DPS, I highly suggest using him as a support and speccing him towards HP because his Meteor scales off HP. Just make sure his towers are always out and dealing damage, and you'll build up a Meteor every ~10 seconds or so
My artifacts are HP + ATK + HP + Geo + HP, which amounts to 30k+ damage meteors every ~10 seconds, and my artifacts aren't even properly leveled or matched in sets yet

Even with my poor optimization, my meteors have me feeling like

Edit:
Also, I've been playing some Immortals Fenyx Rising, and one thing that Genshin should steal from it is the ability to "sprint" (go faster) while gliding. It just feels so natural that I now find myself pressing the button out of habit while gliding in Genshin lol

Last edited:

crumbs

Problem with Chong is that he turns all of your subsequent attacks into Cryo, when you don't always want that. Otherwise, he's pretty good. I don't personally use him, but my gf does in her main party.

He was one of my first pulls, so I just got used to the skill timings and slower attack patterns. I had some luck (good or bad) early pulling mostly support characters like Barbara and Fischl, but Chongyun was the my only character that provided even a little DPS at that point. Eventually I did pull Klee, so Chongyun shifted to a more support/secondary DPS role.

You definitely need to mindful of your positioning when you use his skill. Using him with Fischl, Barbara, and Xinqiu has worked well for elemental reactions. Keqing (built for crit) can still work, you need to be much more aware with the timings and team comps. Razor (built for physical damage), doesn't really work at all.

Chongyun is also really helpful with a couple of the bosses, especially the Oceanid and electro hypostatis.

Hopefully we get a full cryo artifact set in the future, that would help as well.

Fake

I guess is that why he is a support char, no?

I usally put the terrain and change to Dillic for making extra elemental reaction. I guess vary bettwen the chars you have. I really love this guy.

Pejo

Gold Member
He was one of my first pulls, so I just got used to the skill timings and slower attack patterns. I had some luck (good or bad) early pulling mostly support characters like Barbara and Fischl, but Chongyun was the my only character that provided even a little DPS at that point. Eventually I did pull Klee, so Chongyun shifted to a more support/secondary DPS role.

You definitely need to mindful of your positioning when you use his skill. Using him with Fischl, Barbara, and Xinqiu has worked well for elemental reactions. Keqing (built for crit) can still work, you need to be much more aware with the timings and team comps. Razor (built for physical damage), doesn't really work at all.

Chongyun is also really helpful with a couple of the bosses, especially the Oceanid and electro hypostatis.

Hopefully we get a full cryo artifact set in the future, that would help as well.
Yea, could definitely see his uses, specifically with Oceanid which is generally a pain in the ass for everyone. I use my Qiqi for that fight because she has the side effect of healing away all the bullshit attacks from the various monsters and hard to avoid water bombs. Otherwise yea, I'd probably level Chong just to farm water boss, lol.

I guess is that why he is a support char, no?

I usally put the terrain and change to Dillic for making extra elemental reaction. I guess vary bettwen the chars you have. I really love this guy.
Yea for Diluc, you can constantly self-proc melt, he's obviously good as a support.

So I was reading up that Xinyan currently has a bug with her kit that she doesn't consistently apply her level 3 Rave on her shield, which made me realize that once it's working, she's a great support for Childe, so it looks like I have to level her after all :messenger_downcast_sweat:. Especially with the upcoming snow mountain, I'm going to need a Pyro character in my party at all times, so I'll swap Beidou out for Xinyan once that releases.

Fucking violetgrass though....why that material out of all the Liyue materials...

Fake

Yea, could definitely see his uses, specifically with Oceanid which is generally a pain in the ass for everyone. I use my Qiqi for that fight because she has the side effect of healing away all the bullshit attacks from the various monsters and hard to avoid water bombs. Otherwise yea, I'd probably level Chong just to farm water boss, lol.

Yea for Diluc, you can constantly self-proc melt, he's obviously good as a support.
Works with Lisa burst as well. Cryo with electro are good elemental reaction because reduce enemy def.

Pejo

Gold Member
After re-reading Xinyan's kit, I'm back on the side of the fence that she sucks again, at least as a support for Childe. Her kit revolves around buffing physical attacks, and the shield only lasts 12 seconds, pulses 4 times. Even switching back to reapply the shield screws Childe out of his melee mode, so it's pretty worthless for him. Beidou's Burst shield is 15 seconds and does a tick every second, huge difference for Childe's playsyle. Aside from even that, I don't think it's going to be enough uptime to handle the amount of fire damage we're likely going to need to melt ice shields etc in the new zone, so I'm back to leaving her at level 1 for now. Seems she'd be a great support for Razor though, who is my other carry DPS. Maybe someday.

This still leaves me wondering what I'm going to do for fire damage in the snow area. I might have to switch to an entirely different team than the one I've been running comprised of Childe/Beidou/Ningguang/Noelle. Amber's back on the menu I guess? Melt enemy shields with her charged arrows then swap out and go nuts. I have gotten a lot better with manually aiming arrows since maining Childe. I also have Diluc which seems to be the obvious answer here, but he's so boring to play (to me), and he's a selfish dps, and he has to be out on the field to contribute - just like Childe. Guess we'll see after the area comes out and I can gauge how much fire damage we're realistically going to need.

Jedge

After re-reading Xinyan's kit, I'm back on the side of the fence that she sucks again, at least as a support for Childe. Her kit revolves around buffing physical attacks, and the shield only lasts 12 seconds, pulses 4 times. Even switching back to reapply the shield screws Childe out of his melee mode, so it's pretty worthless for him. Beidou's Burst shield is 15 seconds and does a tick every second, huge difference for Childe's playsyle. Aside from even that, I don't think it's going to be enough uptime to handle the amount of fire damage we're likely going to need to melt ice shields etc in the new zone, so I'm back to leaving her at level 1 for now. Seems she'd be a great support for Razor though, who is my other carry DPS. Maybe someday.

I haven't tested this but just to note I think Xinyan's shield cleanses the cyro debuff from Abyss Floor 12 which might be useful.
Jean, Bennet can also cleanse with Q. I think razor can as well not sure

Miyazaki’s Slave

Gold Member
Also, I've been playing some Immortals Fenyx Rising, and one thing that Genshin should steal from it is the ability to "sprint" (go faster) while gliding. It just feels so natural that I now find myself pressing the button out of habit while gliding in Genshin lol
You can do that now in the gliding challenges, but only in those challenges. Maybe they will release a gadget blueprint that lets you boost while gliding which would be nice /shrug.

Saber

apparently xinyan level 3 shield is bugged

What kinda of bug are we talking about?
Because sometimes I dunno if its a bug or just stupid intended. Like those abysm mages from lvl 80 applying cryo/fire everytime you attack them.

Last edited:

BlackM1st

Banned
uqlRNgP.jpg

Eh... more time for farming.

Mihoyo finally made a statement in regards to people complaining about Zhongli
Dear Travelers,

We have recently received a lot of feedback from Travelers regarding issues with the character Zhongli. The developers have placed great importance on Zhongli's performance since offline testing began. We have been collating, reviewing, and analyzing everyone's feedback and have had many discussions about it internally.

We apologize profusely for the lateness of our response, which has left a bad impression on everyone. The truth is that since the character was launched, we have been closely following the situation, both in terms of reviewing the feedback on social media and in terms of analyzing the game data on how people are obtaining, building, and using Zhongli.

We'd like to take this opportunity to have a conversation with everyone — to share our thinking on Zhongli.

When we design something, we hope to ensure that the player experience and the mechanics are as diverse as possible.

The same is true of Zhongli's design. Zhongli is defined as more of a support character, and the core of the support role is the ability to protect other characters in the Party. Based on this, we defined his two core abilities as shield creation and controlling the enemy:

The Jade Shield (generated by holding Dominus Lapidis) provides effective absorption and cover without relying on any other equipment;

Planet Befall exerts effective control over groups of enemies without relying on elemental reactions or equipment bonuses.

From a design standpoint, these two features enable Zhongli to fulfill his role as a support character, and from a review of actual game data, we have discovered that Zhongli is, in fact, effectively improving Travelers' survival capabilities.

In terms of developing Zhongli and improving his abilities, Zhongli is a character who principally receives HP-related benefits, unlike some other characters who are focused on improving DMG.

The main way in which HP improves Zhongli's abilities is by helping him to survive.

In contrast to high DMG-dealers, Zhongli's role is to provide secure and stable protection for the Party in all manner of combat environments.

Whenever we make adjustments to challenge stages, aspects of the open world, systems, and characters themselves, we always start with a comprehensive analysis of character combat statistics, user feedback, and character ethos before making a careful and considered plan. Currently, we are engaged in a deep analysis of Zhongli. In future versions, we will continue to analyze, assess, and adjust things so that all the characters you love have their roles to play and moments to shine. We can only ask that Travelers continue to be patient in the meantime.

In addition, we have discovered from player feedback that there is indeed a bug affecting Zhongli at present: After Zhongli's Lv. 2 Constellation "Stone, the Cradle of Jade" is activated, casting an Elemental Burst may not trigger the DMG boost of the Elemental Resonance effect "Enduring Rock." The developers are currently working on a fix and we estimate that the issue will be fixed in an update on 12/10/2020. Travelers will also be compensated accordingly.

Please be assured that the developers will continue to monitor Travelers’ in-game experience and social media feedback in the same way we have been doing up to now. Your generous support is our biggest motivation as we seek to continually improve Genshin Impact.
TL;DR: He's a support character, you fools! Just as I've been saying all along.

Last edited:

Pejo

Gold Member
TL;DR: He's a support character, you fools! Just as I've been saying all along.
It's nice that they finally said something but holy shit how tonedeaf. Defensive support characters are meaningless in Genshin where the hardest content has timers on it. Much less a super-hyped 5* "god of war" Archon. Also they don't address his heal being added at C6 which would at least let you use him as a support/healer instead of forcing you to use 2 support slots in your party just to use him effectively. If anything I think this is going to make CN players even more angry.

I read this article last night that the CN players are using a legal loophole to make MHY's life hell, by formally requesting paper copies (on certified special paper) of each of their transactions, which is backed by the government. They're doing this to cause grief to MHY since they have to comply and mail them out at a great cost to them via postage, paper, and manpower. I think they only have 14 days to comply or something, and gacha players have used this tactic in the past to get back at FGO.

uqlRNgP.jpg

Eh... more time for farming.
I have to be very careful here, I want Rosaria, but I don't want to accidentally hit pity on Albedo. I know that none of the male characters in this game are exactly badasses, but he's gotta be the softest looking anime character I've ever seen. No thanks.

Last edited:

LegendOfKage

Gold Member
I understand that not everyone needs to be a DPS, but the idea of a shield support that isn't very good in the end-game doesn't seem all that appealing. I don't want Zhongli. But I also really want the four stars on the banner, especially for constellations. More than anything else I've experienced, this feeling is quickly turning me off the game. I'm still keeping up with my daily quests (it's only about 10 minutes out of my day), but I've largely lost the desire to farm anything or play very often. It just feels I'm being punished for not wanting to be stuck with an underwhelming 5 star.

It's nice that they finally said something but holy shit how tonedeaf. Defensive support characters are meaningless in Genshin where the hardest content has timers on it. Much less a super-hyped 5* "god of war" Archon. Also they don't address his heal being added at C6 which would at least let you use him as a support/healer instead of forcing you to use 2 support slots in your party just to use him effectively. If anything I think this is going to make CN players even more angry.

Exactly. His skill being RNG is arguably the real biggest problem with him as a support, along with his shield not healing just as you said. Constellations should add power, not utility and ability that completely changes the way you play the character.

crumbs

Zhongli is definitely in a weird spot versus other 5 stars. I've done all the test runs for other banner 5 stars, plus the story quests when you get to briefly play as the 5 star character, and I've pulled Klee and Keqing. Usually you understand immediately why a character is a 5 star, whether they have unique skills, low cool downs on skills/burst, high DPS potential, etc.

With Zhongli, I've played him a couple times on his test run and just finished his story quest, and I still don't see why I would ever want to pull for him. During his story quest, he basically substituted in for the Geo MC for making geo constructs to climb on.

e&e

Banned
I stopped playing (after one hour with touch) when I realized there is no controller support on the mobile versions for some random unknown reason (when there is already controller support from PC and PS4). Has this stupid oversight been fixed yet?

I would also be playing the PS4 version if cross save was available.

Top Bottom