• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Genshin Impact |OT| 4.0 (Fontaine) - Je m'appelle "la baleine"

LegendOfKage

Gold Member
I just watched a solo boss fights video of Zhongli. Every one of them just melts that stupid pillar a second after he puts it down. The same pillar that does garbage damage, and only randomly gives you energy, but for some reason it also can't take any real amount of damage. And NONE of those points were addressed by the developer. Well, it was a nice to have nearly all positive publicity for this game while it lasted.

Last edited:

Pejo

Gold Member
I just watched a solo boss fights video of Zhongli. Every one of them just melts that stupid pillar a second after he puts it down. The same pillar that does garbage damage, and only randomly gives you energy, but for some reason it also can't take any real amount of damage. And NONE of those points were addressed by the developer. Well, it was a nice to have nearly all positive publicity for this game while it lasted.
And unlike the FREE main character Geo form, his constructs don't even do damage when they break. Terrible.

BlackM1st

Banned
Well, it was a nice to have nearly all positive publicity for this game while it lasted.
Actually game was met very negatively in China. General public may be happy, I dunno, but hardcore gacha players/ whales were very angry at it from day 1.

Just like with XBOX brand. People outside of USA don't give two shits about it, while US gamers see that xbox gives sony a run for its money. Different markets, different perceptions 🤔

Pejo

Gold Member
Actually game was met very negatively in China. General public may be happy, I dunno, but hardcore gacha players/ whales were very angry at it from day 1.

Just like with XBOX brand. People outside of USA don't give two shits about it, while US gamers see that xbox gives sony a run for its money. Different markets, different perceptions 🤔
I think the problem with the way the game has been taken by MHY, the game is vastly different today than it was at release. For the first month, this game was an exploration based action RPG, with fun little puzzles and great worldbuilding. I'd argue it barely resembled a gacha at launch with all of the content to do. Since MHY rested on their laurels and had nothing planned for endgame though, after people were done exploring, it turned into a very familiar type of game for gacha fans - daily grind, weekly grind, log out. I think it was a huge mistake to not have something to fall back on like weekly resetting chests/interesting quests/reasons to explore again.

For better or worse, it seems to have worked pretty well as far as taking people that loved the open world exploring and turning them into gacha addicts. Now we only get news about upcoming things to gamble on and videos about showing e-peen and cancerous "meta" talk. It's no wonder with these changes that all of the talk about the game has turned into what it is now.

Even after typing all of that, I still think Zhongli was a huge mistake in the way that he was released, both from a lore and a gameplay perspective. This did nothing but put the shitty practices by MHY under a magnifying glass.

BlackM1st

Banned
This is why it made A SHIT TON OF MONEY.
Never go there man. "It's popular" and "it makes money" is an empty argument.

Plus, I DID said that general public can be pretty happy with it.

Genshin is flawed and receives a lot of criticism. We talk about negative publicity , not about "genshin is d00med".

Fuz

Banned
Never go there man. "It's popular" and "it makes money" is an empty argument.

Plus, I DID said that general public can be pretty happy with it.

Genshin is flawed and receives a lot of criticism. We talk about negative publicity , not about "genshin is d00med".
And it has exactly ZERO impact. The game is breaking revenue records.

Pointless to cry, hold your breath until you get blue and moan, then go and be a whale for the new waifu.

BlackM1st

Banned
And it has exactly ZERO impact. The game is breaking revenue records.

Pointless to cry, hold your breath until you get blue and moan, then go and be a whale for the new waifu.
Uhuh. You are basically saying that we need either put up or shut up. Quality discussion 👍 It's not a GI fan page iirc man.

The pillars are fragile because the cooldown is LITERALLY two seconds. At Constellation 1 you can place two in quick succession.

Also, in my experience with boss fights today, the only one that managed to break my pillars was Childe. And I still kicked his lvl90 ass without using a single heal lol. His Jade Shield is no joke, along with the crystallize shields that his pillar generates.

No offense, but I think a lot of people are overreacting and basing their opinions on others' faulty complaints... but that's par for the course for gacha games, I guess. The other gacha game I play (FFBE War of the Visions) is currently embroiled in a bit of controversy as well regarding fixed pulls, but the evidence for it simply isn't there. However, the conspiracy theorists are out of the woodwork trying to drum up negativity and many people are carrying on the message. But in that game's case, I honestly think it's simply a ploy just to get apology currency lol.
I wouldn't be surprised if something similar is going on with Genshin's community though, with some people feeling like "I used all my primogems for Zhongli only to be told that he's not worth leveling, I want Mihoyo to apologize and give me back my gems!".

But I digress.. I'm not here to defend gacha developers. Just trying to bring some rationality into the conversation instead of overreacting about a character not being DPS. /shrug

Reactions: Fuz

Pejo

Gold Member
It's just worth adding that binding your phone number to your account seems to be all it takes to prevent this hacking. So far no reports of those being hacked had their phone #s bound. If you already spent money or just want to safeguard your account in general, it's probably a good idea. You can even link a Google proxy number to your real phone number and use that if you want.

deanote666

Gold Member
Grats, u won the game xD Just relax and play for the story :)
I have both and haven't leveled either one of them, lol. Keqing C1 too. Not enough books, mora, cor lapis.

I have Zhongli and he isn't bad. I still have junk artifacts on him so his dps isn't optimal but he isn't as terrible as everyone makes him out to be. I have him C1. Got him up to 1300 attack with crescent pike and deals decent damage.

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
uqlRNgP.jpg

Eh... more time for farming.
OH THANK FUCK SHE IS A 4 STAR
(gets 3 more chons)

:/

What in the hell am I missing with the gliding challenges? I can't do them. I see a green bar to the left of my character, and I think it's supposed to help me go up...but none of the buttons are making me go up. What am I supposed to be hitting to make my character dash upward?? I'm on PS5.

Edit: It seems to be R2 to go up and circle to dash...it still feels weird as shit and clunky.

Edit number 2: You can apparently only go up once every 10 seconds. Was this all explained somewhere lol??

Last edited:

Pejo

Gold Member
What in the hell am I missing with the gliding challenges? I can't do them. I see a green bar to the left of my character, and I think it's supposed to help me go up...but none of the buttons are making me go up. What am I supposed to be hitting to make my character dash upward?? I'm on PS5.

Edit: It seems to be R2 to go up and circle to dash...it still feels weird as shit and clunky.

Edit number 2: You can apparently only go up once every 10 seconds. Was this all explained somewhere lol??
The first day there were a few pop up screens when you started the event that explained all of that. It sounds like we have a tooltip skipper on our hands here.

It took me forever to find that coin under the bridge for yesterday's challenge, that one was a bit tricky to get gold.

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
Ah so my Waifu Rosaria will be coming home for Xmas and I'll have a lot of F2P wishes to spend. Life will be good. I have 60 Hoarfrost cores, a nice amount of Gladiator relics, and BP polearm at level 70 ready to go.

Other then Welkin Blessing and paying for the Battle Pass unlocks I don't spend too much on this game.

The people that are mad seem to be the massive whales that spend and spend and spend and aren't getting their instant gratification special needs met.

Which just sucks the fun out of the game IMO.

Wish I had all that money to throw away that I've seen these people throw away. It's pretty disgusting. And shows a clear lack of self control.

MagnesG

Banned
Ah so my Waifu Rosaria will be coming home for Xmas and I'll have a lot of F2P wishes to spend. Life will be good. I have 60 Hoarfrost cores, a nice amount of Gladiator relics, and BP polearm at level 70 ready to go.

Other then Welkin Blessing and paying for the Battle Pass unlocks I don't spend too much on this game.

The people that are mad seem to be the massive whales that spend and spend and spend and aren't getting their instant gratification special needs met.

Which just sucks the fun out of the game IMO.

Wish I had all that money to throw away that I've seen these people throw away. It's pretty disgusting. And shows a clear lack of self control.
They kinda need to appease these whales in some way else they go elsewhere.

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
They kinda need to appease these whales in some way else they go elsewhere.
Their main issue falls back on the resin or stamina system. I think they should just introduce some item that refills your stamina. And not this condensed resin garbage that caps at 3. Outside of that I think the game is pretty much fine? Only other thing I can think of is let the Spiral Abyss rest all the floors instead of just the 9-12. I'm stuck at Floor 5 because I only have one dedicated team because I like to build super units that function by themselves and it requires a lot of investment to have just one team let alone two.

They probably need to introduce another resource that isn't Primogems.

But I feel with how much these people are spending they probably won't do anything with it because they are just raking in the money like nothing.

Last edited:

crumbs

The first day there were a few pop up screens when you started the event that explained all of that. It sounds like we have a tooltip skipper on our hands here.

It took me forever to find that coin under the bridge for yesterday's challenge, that one was a bit tricky to get gold.

You can still get gold overall without grabbing all 5 coins. I skipped the bridge coin and still got gold with a decent time + 4 coins.

MagnesG

Banned
Their main issue falls back on the resin or stamina system. I think they should just introduce some item that refills your stamina. And not this condensed resin garbage that caps at 3. Outside of that I think the game is pretty much fine?

They probably need to introduce another resource that isn't Primogems.

But I feel with how much these people are spending they probably won't do anything with it because they are just raking in the money like nothing.
I would come back if they fix the constellation system in some way where we don't have to pull duplicates to obtain them. It's literally impossible to complete *5 char constellation for example. The system's fucked.

Then again daily grind is still boring. It's like doing open world busywork that I hate so much.

Stamina would always be a problem though.

Last edited:

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
I would come back if they fix the constellation system in some way where we don't have to pull duplicates to obtain them. It's literally impossible to complete *5 char constellation for example. The system's fucked.

Then again daily grind is still boring. It's like doing open world busywork that I hate so much.

Oh I can agree with you there. Pulling for 5 stars is a wasted effort. I only bother with 4 stars. Most of the time I just find the 5 stars to be not worth the effort.

I'd rather they introduced special items to acquire to unlock constellations instead.

Like grind to spend this amount of Mora and materials to unlock a constellation or hope you unlock one by doing what they do now by using wishes.

Spend money to get the constellation now or grind the F2P way and get them that way.

180 wishes on a banner to get a guaranteed pull is ridiculous if your RNG luck has gone to shit. Worse when you need 7 of them.

Last edited:

Pejo

Gold Member

Just take a break until the next content patch and play it like an episodic game. The fact that they have the world level mechanic means that you won't be gated despite not making your team stronger until they start requiring higher AR to join in story and event stuff.

crumbs

The constellation system definitely needs some tweaking going forward, especially if they start introducing 5 stars like Zhongli that need constellations to be decent.

My other concern is that as they continue to introduce 4 star characters and the character pool continues grows, it will become even harder to build out a constellation any one character. I guess they want you hitting the character banners hard, but that would get frustrating quickly.

Pejo

Gold Member
The constellation system definitely needs some tweaking going forward, especially if they start introducing 5 stars like Zhongli that need constellations to be decent.

My other concern is that as they continue to introduce 4 star characters and the character pool continues grows, it will become even harder to build out a constellation any one character. I guess they want you hitting the character banners hard, but that would get frustrating quickly.
Most gacha games will eventually release some sort of ultra rare universal upgrade material (like a universal constellation juice), but they have to be really careful with them. If whales decide that their whaling has been undermined by freebie handouts, they will stop spending, which publishers definitely do not want. I could see something like that being released yearly on anniversaries or major version updates (like 2.0, 3.0 etc).

That said, for 4* characters, you will have the monthly rotating shop characters to guarantee yourself a constellation sooner or later, as none of the 4*s have been limited so far. I don't necessarily mind dropping some primos on a rate up banner to get some 4*s though, in my experience in the Childe banner (the only one I pulled a lot in), it was fairly easy to get copies. Unless you're just rolling all of your gems as you get them instead of saving them for a character you want, I think you'll be fine getting at least C2 of new 4*s - if that's your goal.

BlackM1st

Banned
Most gacha games will eventually release some sort of ultra rare universal upgrade material (like a universal constellation juice), but they have to be really careful with them. If whales decide that their whaling has been undermined by freebie handouts, they will stop spending, which publishers definitely do not want. I could see something like that being released yearly on anniversaries or major version updates (like 2.0, 3.0 etc).

That said, for 4* characters, you will have the monthly rotating shop characters to guarantee yourself a constellation sooner or later, as none of the 4*s have been limited so far. I don't necessarily mind dropping some primos on a rate up banner to get some 4*s though, in my experience in the Childe banner (the only one I pulled a lot in), it was fairly easy to get copies. Unless you're just rolling all of your gems as you get them instead of saving them for a character you want, I think you'll be fine getting at least C2 of new 4*s - if that's your goal.
Constellations is their only way to stimulate for more rolls.

It's a very bad game design, but a very smart (predatory) monetization idea.

It's the problem that can be easily fixed.

MihO just needs to open up the customization system and introduce paid costumes, effects and maybe a transmog for premium weapon skins.

They will make even more money that way, but it will not negatively impact F2P players and let GI be more generous with constellations.

Pejo

Gold Member
Constellations is their only way to stimulate for more rolls.

It's a very bad game design, but a very smart (predatory) monetization idea.

It's the problem that can be easily fixed.

MihO just needs to open up the customization system and introduce paid costumes, effects and maybe a transmog for premium weapon skins.

They will make even more money that way, but it will not negatively impact F2P players and let GI be more generous with constellations.
Believe you me, they will have costumes-a-plenty eventually. Not sure about weapon skins, I don't think they've gone that route in the past. Their costume model in Honkai 3rd is kinda shit, if I'm being honest. Some of them you can outright buy, but usually those are just palette swap ones. The good costumes that drastically change the look of the character and add special bonus effects to their moves etc are usually gated behind a costume gacha or some mini-game that costs money to play (ultimately just a different type of gacha). The worst type of skin in Honkai is the "spend rewards" one, where you have to spend like 30,000 primogem-equivalent resources to get it. And they usually make those costumes really good too.

That said, they do have quite a few free event skins too, that aren't hard to obtain or overly grindy to get. They seem to have struck a good balance in Honkai, but fuck those spend skins.

Constellations are ok in my mind as long as they're not continuing to use them like they have for Childe and Zhongli, significantly changing the character with/without them. I've played games (Dragalia Lost) that give you fuck all for pulling dupes and it just feels shitty. I like that constellations continue to strengthen the characters, and it allows them a revenue stream for whales that are willing to drop hundreds to max out characters so that the rest of us continue to get fun content etc for free. I think as long as the banners for limited units come back around semi-frequently, so you can eventually c6 a limited 5* with some scrimping and saving is a good middle ground. If they're not going to rerun banners more than like once a year though, that outright sucks.

BlackM1st

Banned
If they're not going to rerun banners more than like once a year though, that outright sucks.
Talk about drip feeding xD By the time F2P players fully realize their's chars potential, it will be time to move on to PS6 and GI 2 ×_×'

Pejo

Gold Member
Talk about drip feeding xD By the time F2P players fully realize their's chars potential, it will be time to move on to PS6 and GI 2 ×_×'
Yea that's the big question, how soon we'll get reruns. I'm guessing after we get enough limited characters, they'll start running 2-3 banners concurrently, like a new one and an old one.

Pejo

Gold Member
Here's a great post about account security and MiHoYo's terrible implementation of it. The TLDR here is to link a phone number and email, which will prevent being hacked. One or the other is not enough.

Last edited:

Saber

Believe you me, they will have costumes-a-plenty eventually. Not sure about weapon skins

Nah. Weapon skins would not sell at all. Character skins on the other hand could be pretty much a gold mine, depending on which character they gonna focus and if they gonna extend the themes for everybody.
X-mas and summer for instances are themes that I feel like they would end up rich if they ever implement.

Pejo

Gold Member
Nah. Weapon skins would not sell at all. Character skins on the other hand could be pretty much a gold mine, depending on which character they gonna focus and if they gonna extend the themes for everybody.
X-mas and summer for instances are themes that I feel like they would end up rich if they ever implement.
Yea they do pretty well in Honkai with skins. There are themed ones, then just casual ones, and the usual gamut of gacha waifu stuff like maids, slutty wedding gowns, swimsuits.

Saber

Yea they do pretty well in Honkai with skins. There are themed ones, then just casual ones, and the usual gamut of gacha waifu stuff like maids, slutty wedding gowns, swimsuits.

Cheesuz man, they gonna be rich if they ever do that with Genshin.
But that was basically what I was talking about.

Pejo

Gold Member
WTF, why it's not in game yet 0_0
I wouldn't get too excited, anything in a Chinese game is going to have to pass Chinese censors, and Genshin is also going to have to pass Sony of California's additional censors since it's on PS4/5. That's likely why they gave all the girls safety shorts, diaper-cut leotards, and auto-hide the character when you move the camera down to their asses.

BlackM1st

Banned
I wouldn't get too excited, anything in a Chinese game is going to have to pass Chinese censors, and Genshin is also going to have to pass Sony of California's additional censors since it's on PS4/5. That's likely why they gave all the girls safety shorts, diaper-cut leotards, and auto-hide the character when you move the camera down to their asses.
Not fair, ugh.

I wonder how Azur lane even exists. IIRC AZ LN also had a ps4 release...

Compared to GI Azur lane is a slutfest and nobody cares, while even slightest sign of sex is effectively cut out and censored in GI.

Compared to GI Azur lane is a slutfest and nobody cares, while even slightest sign of sex is effectively cut out and censored in GI.
I think it's more about there being a difference in direction than censorship. The suggestive stuff fits better in honkai and wouldn't feel appropriate with genshin's style.
And I don't mean appropriate in the sense of 'puritanism' or whatever, but in it being 'cohesive' with the overall direction/style.

Pejo

Gold Member
I think it's more about there being a difference in direction than censorship. The suggestive stuff fits better in honkai and wouldn't feel appropriate with genshin's style.
And I don't mean appropriate in the sense of 'puritanism' or whatever, but in it being 'cohesive' with the overall direction/style.
Plus they want that "Wider audience" stuff in Genshin and don't want to scare away the women (which this game has been surprisingly doing well with apparently).

I'm curious how the first real waifu banner does from a finance angle. Klee banner pulled like over twice the money of Childe and JohnLee combined.

BlackM1st

Banned
Plus they want that "Wider audience" stuff in Genshin and don't want to scare away the women (which this game has been surprisingly doing well with apparently).

I'm curious how the first real waifu banner does from a finance angle. Klee banner pulled like over twice the money of Childe and JohnLee combined.
Klee is bae. She and her dead counterpart is the cutest characters in the whole game. I'm playing with a Japanese voice over and they both are way too cute.

Also, Klee is just so much stronger than other 5☆ banners xD

And I never heard about ACTUAL female players being afraid of some skin in their games.

Last thing I remember was an Overwatch prerelease debacle with a Tracer's "looking back over the shoulder" victory pose.

Some MALE retard was afraid of his 10yo daughter seeing a fully clothed Tracer -gasp- standing with her ass to the camera!!!

Overall, imo GI should go the way of overwatch and has a different characters with different levels of sexiness while maintaining its style.

Saber

I feel like the game had mercy on me and finally presents me with Keqing.
My dream girl finally came to me and now I have 3 electro godness at my side.

crumbs

I feel like the game had mercy on me and finally presents me with Keqing.
My dream girl finally came to me and now I have 3 electro godness at my side.

Did you pull her on the Zhongli banner? I did and I'm glad that was the 5 star I got. I had become accustomed to slow attacking characters like Klee, Razor, and Chongyun for damage, so it's a nice change of pace to have such a fast DPS option.

I've been building her for critical damage. The black sword from this month's battle pass is perfect for the critical damage build.

Saber

Did you pull her on the Zhongli banner? I did and I'm glad that was the 5 star I got. I had become accustomed to slow attacking characters like Klee, Razor, and Chongyun for damage, so it's a nice change of pace to have such a fast DPS option.

I've been building her for critical damage. The black sword from this month's battle pass is perfect for the critical damage build.

I did, this is why my surprise.
I'm used to fast characters since I have Kaeya, but last patch kinda nerfed him.

Jedge

Rumour is Zhongli is in beta 1.3. Potentially could be seeing buffs

Last edited:
Top Bottom