• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Genshin Impact |OT| 4.0 (Fontaine) - Je m'appelle "la baleine"

deanote666

Gold Member
You can believe what you like of course, but I think it's definitely all related. Again, I don't think that it's just machines themselves that are the "problem", but when it's infused with life energy from Teyvat, like elemental energy, Djnni energy, etc. Like there's some tipping point where it all goes to shit. When you look around Teyvat, all of the most advanced technologies are always in ruins from a failed great nation. Then you add in what we learned about the Goddess of Flowers and how she tried to help western Sumeru and it ended up getting all fucked, creating the sludge, and destroying the irrigation etc. I think the knowledge of how to utilize Teyvat's natural energy to power machines might be the "virus" you're speaking of.
The withering was supposed to be caused by the forbidden knowledge and was supposedly stopped when the greater lord erased herself (unless I'm mistaken).

I thought the dude in the cave was using leyline energy and that's still around after the greater lord erased herself.

The leylines part of Irminsul itself so if leyline energy is the cause of forbidden knowledge, greater lord wouldn't need to erase herself since it would have been a part of the system and not an infection as they implied.

Also, didn't the Djnni destroy the northern part herself since she felt betrayed or something? Cursed people, etc. so they destroyed themselves? Plus there's records around the area about how that pipe system was breaking down on its own over time.

Last edited:

Pejo

Gold Member
Why do you say that?
You can read the stuff I've been posting back and forth with deanote666 deanote666 to get the basis of my theory for now at least.

I hate everything about it.
Well Japan seems to like her. They're already doing speedrun fanarts.

be1din59o3ta1.jpg

The withering was supposed to be caused by the forbidden knowledge and was supposedly stopped when the greater lord erased herself (unless I'm mistaken).

I thought the dude in the cave was using leyline energy and that's still around after the greater lord erased herself.

The leylines part of Irminsul itself so if leyline energy is the cause of forbidden knowledge, greater lord wouldn't need to erase herself since it would have been a part of the system and not an infection as they implied.
I'm not talking about stuff inside Irminsul as that part is definitely more "computer virus" like. Moreso, I mean in the actual world, they stated in Kusanali's quest that Rukkha put up that wall to prevent the sludge/desertification from spreading into the eastern part of Sumeru. This ties in to what the Goddess of Flowers and the Djinni were up to. As far as erasing herself and the "forbidden knowledge" I think it's more of a force inside Irminsul than it is in the natural world outside. I think just by being included in Irminsul, it opens up that knowledge for others to read/use/etc. So to prevent another Western Sumeru type incident, Rukkha did her erasure stuff.

The dude in Tighnari's quest was using Leyline energy, which I consider to be a "native" Teyvat power, which ties into my theory. I look at Irminsul as a supercomputer and the leylines as USB ports. USB ports can power devices, so when they use that "power" infused into machines, that's when the madness starts, and it ties into forbidden knowledge. But that's why I keep mentioning Teyvat power, because I think Leyline energy is one type, elemental energy another, etc.

Anyways, that's my take after reading all the lore bits in the Oasis questline.

deanote666

Gold Member
You can read the stuff I've been posting back and forth with deanote666 deanote666 to get the basis of my theory for now at least.

Well Japan seems to like her. They're already doing speedrun fanarts.

be1din59o3ta1.jpg

I'm not talking about stuff inside Irminsul as that part is definitely more "computer virus" like. Moreso, I mean in the actual world, they stated in Kusanali's quest that Rukkha put up that wall to prevent the sludge/desertification from spreading into the eastern part of Sumeru. This ties in to what the Goddess of Flowers and the Djinni were up to. As far as erasing herself and the "forbidden knowledge" I think it's more of a force inside Irminsul than it is in the natural world outside. I think just by being included in Irminsul, it opens up that knowledge for others to read/use/etc. So to prevent another Western Sumeru type incident, Rukkha did her erasure stuff.

The dude in Tighnari's quest was using Leyline energy, which I consider to be a "native" Teyvat power, which ties into my theory. I look at Irminsul as a supercomputer and the leylines as USB ports. USB ports can power devices, so when they use that "power" infused into machines, that's when the madness starts, and it ties into forbidden knowledge. But that's why I keep mentioning Teyvat power, because I think Leyline energy is one type, elemental energy another, etc.

Anyways, that's my take after reading all the lore bits in the Oasis questline.
Not sure I get what you're saying with your USB analogy. They use the power to power devices but only when they use the power to power devices is when THE forbidden knowledge/madness is involved? (I use THE to indicate the virus like knowledge in the tree and not the knowledge the akademiya deemed forbidden). If the mechs are powered by THE forbidden knowledge, they should have all stopped working after the greater lord erased said knowledge from the tree or it would have been for nothing if THE knowledge still exists in the world.

Was the Ley Line Extractor itself in Tighnari's quest forbidden by the akademiya or just his work with the mechs? (don't remember).

I remember the pipe system filling up with sand as the system broke down but don't remember them saying they were filling up with the dark mud, we never see any dark mud in the area.

Fake

So much licking of Scarlet King balls for fucking nothing.

Also funny that Kirara boobs is no existence. Hope is not any trap.

Last edited:

InterMusketeer

Gold Member
The "twist" isn't the good part though, anybody with a brain knew how that was gonna end up. It's the amount and quality of the world lore along the way that makes it good, at least in my opinion. Though most of the lore is in the first part of the quest where you are searching for the oasis.
The twist is the actual quest though. That's the storyline they spend the most time conveying. The rest is just lore dumping, and it's presented in the driest, most uninteresting way possible. And despite doing my best to read quite a bit of the in-game texts, I'm just not interested in how King Abubu overthrew Bludabedeedabeda 2000 years ago.

Pejo

Gold Member
The twist is the actual quest though. That's the storyline they spend the most time conveying. The rest is just lore dumping, and it's presented in the driest, most uninteresting way possible. And despite doing my best to read quite a bit of the in-game texts, I'm just not interested in how King Abubu overthrew Bludabedeedabeda 2000 years ago.
The King and his people and all that garbage was secondary lore though, the important part was that Liloupar fell in love with a random mortal, turned him into a king, and he betrayed her. Then she took revenge on her own family (in this case a line of family) until the desert was nothing but a shit hole like you see today. So basically the whole part of the quest with her was to talk to her goddess of flowers, only to find out that she was long dead, she killed her "sister" Djinni which could be seen as a mercy killing since she was alone in the middle of a sandstorm protecting nothing. Then you help Liloupar get all of her memories back and she realizes she needs to go try to fix (something) and leaves the bottle with you. The Goddess of Flowers did her best to help the people of the desert, but she could only do so much and the humans basically turned on each other and ended up being super shitty so she sludged up the pipes (either on accident because nobody was helping her anymore or on purpose) which hurried along their ruin, then she died alone after retreating her oasis.

InterMusketeer

Gold Member
Pejo Pejo And how was this lore told? Literal white text on black. No cutscenes, no animations, no nothing. They still haven't figured out "Show, don't tell." The bit with the oasis in stasis was cool, but it would have been more impactful if they made the player actively care about this. They failed to do this for me.

Saber

Lmao I remember that Inazuma crap "fog" island that is basically a black screen with white plot text spam every 10 seconds. My god, what a encruciating experience, one of the worst moments I had with Genshin.

Pejo

Gold Member
Pejo Pejo And how was this lore told? Literal white text on black. No cutscenes, no animations, no nothing. They still haven't figured out "Show, don't tell." The bit with the oasis in stasis was cool, but it would have been more impactful if they made the player actively care about this. They failed to do this for me.
Yea I don't disagree with you. It's almost like they want to hide the lore for anyone that refuses to read (very dry and confusing) text and item descriptions and shit. I find the lore interesting enough to grind forward on it, but I totally understand how most people wouldn't. The worldbuilding and lore is one of the last things that I think they do exceptionally well in this game, it'd be nice if they improved on the delivery.

Like a good example is the text we get after Liloupar absorbs part of her essence. Instead of just slapping us with 3 paragraphs, they could animate a flashback or at least show fancy looking NPCs talking to each other, stuff like that. I think for some of it, text is fine, but it really was just exposition dump after exposition dump.

It's also annoying that they put a lot of it on static world items like stone tablets and letters laying on boxes that you can't take with you and that don't make a "copy" in your inventory, so if you want to review something, you have to remember where the fuck they were and go all the way there just to read a few lines like: "...and then Jebreal fell off the platform ...few days later he ate a sandwich.... ....had pickles on it."

Pejo

Gold Member
Any of you guys do C1 Nilou on her first banner? Is the extended time worth it? I'm thinking of going for it since I won't be rolling until 3.7 otherwise.

InterMusketeer

Gold Member
Any of you guys do C1 Nilou on her first banner? Is the extended time worth it? I'm thinking of going for it since I won't be rolling until 3.7 otherwise.
Probably depends on how you want to play. Do you want Nilou to be the driver or someone else? In many cases it can be beneficial to (try to) trigger the blooms with a different character that's built with EM to maximize damage. Could be Kokomi, or even Yaoyao with hydro infusion from Candace. In that case Nilou's own ability isn't that important for hydro application.

I don't know what weapon you're running, but her signature weapon is the best damage boost for Nilou so I'd prioritize that over cons. Alternatively, you could also run Sac Sword for 100% uptime.

To me C1 seems like a convenient little thing, but it's really C2 that's busted. Decrease hydro and dendro res by 35%? Yes please. C2R1 is probably the sweet spot for Nilou investment. But for my account it just doesn't seem worth the primos to get all that for such a limited character.

Fake

Unfortunately no. In fact I'm very undecided since IDK if fountaine will be good at banners or not.

I don't have much luck getting on those fucking banners. I remember trying to get C1 for Nilou and end up getting C2 for Jean.

Pejo

Gold Member
That just seems so fast for Alhaitham rerun. Also Yoimiya again? Either she's gonna be busted for Fontaine with some new type of Hydro character or she's gonna be total shit for the rest of the game and they're trying to get people to spend before it happens.
Probably depends on how you want to play. Do you want Nilou to be the driver or someone else? In many cases it can be beneficial to (try to) trigger the blooms with a different character that's built with EM to maximize damage. Could be Kokomi, or even Yaoyao with hydro infusion from Candace. In that case Nilou's own ability isn't that important for hydro application.

I don't know what weapon you're running, but her signature weapon is the best damage boost for Nilou so I'd prioritize that over cons. Alternatively, you could also run Sac Sword for 100% uptime.

To me C1 seems like a convenient little thing, but it's really C2 that's busted. Decrease hydro and dendro res by 35%? Yes please. C2R1 is probably the sweet spot for Nilou investment. But for my account it just doesn't seem worth the primos to get all that for such a limited character.
Her weapon does seem nice, but idk, so far it's only good for her. I only like rolling signature weapons for characters I really like or that are universally good (like Homa). I was thinking of trying Nilou/Kirara/Kusanali with Candace as the driver. But that won't be for a patch later.

I guess I will try using her now with Sac sword and see if I like that playstyle. Her water Aura always seems so short, that's why I was thinking of going C1.

Fake

Fast for Alhaitham as much was for Cyno.

What does Nilou bring to the table that existing characters don't? (speaking as a non-Nilou haver).

If you have all hydro chars and at least one dendro on your team, her elemental skill (if you use the dance) will give Nilou and her team mates an aura that instead of creating regular dendro core (hydro+dendro), will generate Bountiful Cores.

They explode really really fast and do more damage than the regular dendro core. You can't make any other reaction on the bontiful cores, so there is pro and cons.

Pro is, enemies can't interact with your bountiful cores, so is get safe for battle against powerful foes. The cons is, you can't either interact with them as well, so using pyro against dendro core or electro with dendro core is useless.

In my experience, I can't see any more utility than curiosity about this mechanic. Is sometimes fun, but is boring limiting your own team. And limit the Nilou composition as well, so she can't make team with others elements if you want bountiful cores.

So, in the end I just use her as a regular hydro and sometimes for fun I put a team exclusive for her.

Last edited:

deanote666

Gold Member
Bountiful Core blooms. Think Burgeon but with just Dendro + Hydro and stronger. Look up some Nahida/Nilou teams on youtube.

Fast for Alhaitham as much was for Cyno.

If you have all hydro chars and at least one dendro on your team, her elemental skill (if you use the dance) will give Nilou and her team mates an aura that instead of creating regular dendro core (hydro+dendro), will generate Bountiful Cores.

They explore really really fast and do more damage than the regular dendro core. You can't make any other reaction on the bontiful cores, so there is pro and cons.

Pro is, enemies can't interact with your bountiful cores, so is get safe for battle against powerful foes. The cons is, you can't either interact with them as well, so using pyro against dendro core or electro with dendro core is useless.

In my experience, I can't see any more utility than curiosity about this mechanic. Is sometimes fun, but is boring limiting your own team. And limit the Nilou composition as well, so she can't make team with others elements if you want bountiful cores.

So, in the end I just use her as a regular hydro and sometimes for fun I put a team exclusive for her.

Thanks for the replies.

Me still trying to wrap my head around the different dendro reactions...

I'm currently using Kokomi with Nahida (for you peps laughing at me for having Kokomi in my party). How much better is Nilou over Kokomi's jellyfish?

Fake

Thanks for the replies.

I'm currently using Kokomi with Nahida (for you peps laughing at me for having Kokomi in my party). How much better is Nilou over Kokomi's jellyfish?

Can't say about Kokomi because I don't have.

But 2 hydros NOW is worthy because you get HP bonus and healing bonus. If you want to use Nilou passive you really need a healer otherwise you will get damage from different sources.
Nilou burst and skill scale with max HP, so unless your second hydro is not a dps, no conflict here.

Pejo

Gold Member
Thanks for the replies.

Nilou + Kokomi are actually good together. The strength she brings is for AoE teams with fast application of both Dendro and Hydro.

When you are using only Dendro + Hydro characters, that's when Nilou gives you the new type of bloom that does what Fake Fake mentioned. If you use any other element on the team, it's just a regular core. For most teams, Nilou is a worse option than a lot of other Hydro characters, including Kokomi. If you are gonna roll her, it should be either A) because you like her a lot, or B) you want to try out that special Hydro/Dendro team that only she can enable.

A good starter Nilou team would be Nilou/Nahida/Kokomi/Yaoyao for instance. Lots of Dendro application, lots of Hydro application, and Nilou which enables that special damage type.

Pejo

Gold Member
Uh....

ikbrxyn4p8ta1.jpg

So she's like Yaoyao? The cat behind you gets a shield but you don't? I'm gonna chalk this up to a bad translation. Cool if she heals/shields though, I can fit that in a lot of teams.

• Thoughtful
Reactions: Fuz

Saber

Uh....

ikbrxyn4p8ta1.jpg

So she's like Yaoyao? The cat behind you gets a shield but you don't? I'm gonna chalk this up to a bad translation. Cool if she heals/shields though, I can fit that in a lot of teams.

Maybe is not actually a shield, but a structure. Maybe it block projectiles.
Its not a bad kit if true. I was very critical of Yao Yao, but seeing my brother playing with her shes not bad.

Last edited:

Saber

Yeah...reading Kirara kit is awfull. 50% is useless dumb cringe stuff and the other half is the skill description.
Note that she is just another character who scales a percent of her HP to increase skill damage, similar others. Its so weird to read that I dunno if theres an actual combined attack with her skill. I think it acts like a mine or something.

Last edited:

Fuz

Banned
Bountiful Cores.

They explore really really fast and do more damage than the regular dendro core. You can't make any other reaction on the bontiful cores, so there is pro and cons.
Btw, do they also damage you?

I fucking hate dendro cores
cikYa.gif

Fake

Btw, do they also damage you?

I fucking hate dendro cores
cikYa.gif

Just like regular dendro cores, but much much faster to explode (less than a second) and do more damage on you than regular.

You really need a healer check lmao. Sometimes is fun, sometimes don't. Is random as farming the artifact. All depends of your humor.

Last edited:

Fuz

Banned
Just like regular dendro cores, but much much faster to explode (less than a second) and do more damage on you than regular.

You really need a healer check lmao. Sometimes is fun, sometimes don't. Is random as farming the artifact. All depends of your humor.
I hate dendro cores as much as burning grass, tbh.
Guess she only really works with Kokomi.

Pejo

Gold Member
I hate dendro cores as much as burning grass, tbh.
Guess she only really works with Kokomi.
Yaoyao is great in a Kokomi team too. The damage isn't THAT high that the player takes, but it does add up after a while.

Also Kaveh has a trait where he gets healed from Dendro core explosions instead of taking damage, so you could always just go gay for pay and main him in a Nilou team.

• Triggered
Reactions: Fuz

Saber

Yaoyao is great in a Kokomi team too. The damage isn't THAT high that the player takes, but it does add up after a while.

Also Kaveh has a trait where he gets healed from Dendro core explosions instead of taking damage, so you could always just go gay for pay and main him in a Nilou team.

Dendro cores have an internal cooldown for damaging enemies, so his elemental skill is pretty much useless in damage departament.

Last edited:

Pejo

Gold Member
Dendro cores have an internal cooldown for damaging enemies, so his elemental skill is pretty much useless in damage departament.
Well i took it that you'd want him to be the Dendro driver since he can infuse Dendro to his weapon. The skill is just for occasional splash damage.

Last edited:

Saber

Well i took it that you'd wan him to be the Dendro driver since he can infuse Dendro to his weapon. The skill is just for occasional splash damage.

The good thing is that his skill has a pretty short cooldown(6 seconds).

You know...the type of cooldown the stupid and retard elemental skill of Dendro Traveler needs to be since it does absolutelly nothing.

I would rather wait for this catgirl though. Being a sword user has it's advantages, like make use of sacrificial sword.

Fake

The problem is, making a unique team for Nilou you end up losing the 4 elements resonance that normally reduce dendro damge receive.

Fuz

Banned

Nah, I'll get my Cookie in Nahida's banner.

deanote666

Gold Member
Got Jean at 79 pulls. Nahida C3 2 10 pulls later.

Jean is my first C6 5*.

Edit: Whoo! Nahida on my 2nd account!

Edit: had enough sigils to get the tree to level 50. Had 354.

Edit: did another 10 pull and got Qiqi C3...

Last edited:

crumbs

Spent way too many wishes getting Shinobu to c2. Pulled on Nilou's banner and ended up losing the 50/50 and getting Tighnari, along with many Layla and Dori cons. Plus this has to be the worst way to get three 4 stars on one 10 pull:

Nq8nvXw.png

I specifically avoided Mika during the last version only for this to happen. :messenger_expressionless:

Last edited:

Pejo

Gold Member
K3fkevN.jpg
wTp0sEu.jpg
This came out on reddit not long ago. She's looking a lot more interesting than we initially thought for a 4 star.
Good skill, sounds fun to play, good design. What's going on here? Is this just a late MHY April Fool's joke?

Sounds like Dendro Zhongli with a Sayu rolling/bouncing mode. Burst only 60 energy too and it does over 900% damage. That's nearly double of Dehya's.

Color me impressed. She's bound to get nerfed to hell in the beta with a kit like that.

Top Bottom