• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Geoff Keighley: Scorpio rumored to cost $499 (he's right, flawless victory)

TheRed

That's basically the problem. I can buy into an expensive Switch because they offered me Zelda Breath of the Wild day one and I know 100% I'm going to get some Nintendo games on it. I can sort of buy into a PS4 Pro because they showed Horizon, which looks gorgeous on a HDR screen.

But they threw out a $650 AUD console, more than the price of a Nvidia Corporation GTX1080 when eBay or Amazon has one of their relatively commmon discounts, without any real compelling Xbox One X only exclusives to someone who doesn't really care a whole lot about racing games.
Yeah honestly it's kind of a joke, no big new game to even make the console exciting. All it is a fancy box for an above average gaming PC. But PC will always be the better choice for your money because all of the great exclusives and also you don't have to pay extra to play online. There's nothing here to attract me to buy this.

Ploid 3.0

Microsoft put themselves in a weird spot it seems. Most of their games are on PC, the scorpio is $500, and a GTX 1080 (incredible card, insane card) is a little bit more. This is for people that wouldn't touch PC, doesn't have a old gaming PC with upgradable parts, and for console only gamers with a 4k tv that plan on sticking with this new console for 3+ years.

I wonder how long this gen will last. Microsoft and Sony should be gearing up for the next soon.

Iksenpets

Banned
That's basically the problem. I can buy into an expensive Switch because they offered me Zelda Breath of the Wild day one and I know 100% I'm going to get some Nintendo games on it. I can sort of buy into a PS4 Pro because they showed Horizon, which looks gorgeous on a HDR screen.

Yeah, right now it feels like the bargain you're getting with an X is you pay $100 more than the competition for third party games to possibly look a bit better and to get earlier releases on a handful of indie games that MS got timed exclusivity on, but that's supposed to be enough to win you over, and they're not going to put a ton of effort into producing much in the way of actual exclusives. They had like five or six true exclusives for the year, which is a low but acceptable amount if those exclusives are very high quality. That's pretty much the deal you've gotten with every Nintendo console since the GameCube, but I'm not really sure Microsoft is really hitting that quality mark. Sea of Thieves looks cool but unproven, and Ori and Cuphead look great, but are small games. If you're really into cars, Forza is probably worth it, but that's not a huge market. Crackdown didn't really do anything to differentiate itself from the original a decade ago. And then I just don't know a whole bunch about State of Decay, but people seem to love that.

Dragner

You may think they learned from their mistakes of releasing a machine 100 dollar more expensive than the competence...but they didnt apparently. Dont matter how awesome the specs are. This thing wont succeed. PS4 pro is almost a flop no way this, coming with a brand that is struggling in the market currently, sells well.

But if they market this as a luxury item with low expectations then is fine I guess.

Yeah, right now it feels like the bargain you're getting with an X is you pay $100 more than the competition for third party games to possibly look a bit better and to get earlier releases on a handful of indie games that MS got timed exclusivity on, but that's supposed to be enough to win you over, and they're not going to put a ton of effort into producing much in the way of actual exclusives. They had like five or six true exclusives for the year, which is a low but acceptable amount if those exclusives are very high quality.That's pretty much the deal you've gotten with every Nintendo console since the GameCube, but I'm not really sure Microsoft is really hitting that quality mark. Sea of Thieves looks cool but unproven, and Ori and Cuphead look great, but are small games. If you're really into cars, Forza is probably worth it, but that's not a huge market. Crackdown didn't really do anything to differentiate itself from the original a decade ago. And then I just don't know a whole bunch about State of Decay, but people seem to love that.

I didn't see any true exclusives.

HotHamBoy

I didn't see any true exclusives.

Is anything exclusive to Xbox and NOT coming to PC?

Because between January and today PS4 has Yakuza, Ni-Oh, Horizon, Gravity Rush 2, WipeOut Collection and Persona 5 is a PS3/4 exclusive.

Crash Trilogy, Days Gone, FFXII HD (this is sure to eventually go to PC, though), Hellblade, More Yakuza, Uncharted Lost Legacy, God of War (probably?) and whatever they may announce tomorrow for the remaining year.

Not trying to be a fanboy, just laying out the games you can only play if you have that system.

Also, KOF 14 ;)

TBH, if I expand console exclusives that are also on PC, I think the PS4 beats the XB1 in number there as well because of all the Japanese developers.

So why would anyone buy an XBX? If you want the console ecosystem get the S. If you want power you get so much more from a $500 PC because you get the MS games and you get many of the PS4/PC games that aren't on Xbox.

Now that this price is confirmed I can't wait for the next talking point about how it's actually a great price point, no matter what the past decade of console marketing will tell us.

Taker666

You may think they learned from their mistakes of releasing a machine 100 dollar more expensive than the competence...but they didnt apparently. Dont matter how awesome the specs are. This thing wont succeed. PS4 pro is almost a flop no way this, coming with a brand that is struggling in the market currently, sells well.

But if they market this as a luxury item with low expectations then is fine I guess.

That's the major reason I was sure it would be $399. Going over that $400 price has always caused major issues. ...and I wrongly assumed Scorpio was created to help Microsoft fight back against a dominant PS4.

At $499 it's really going for the upgrade cash of a couple million core Xbox fans and maybe the limited number of PS4 owners who'd also want the most powerful machine for 3rd party titles. It's certainly not a mainstream device designed to attract the masses...which given the length of time and amount they hyped it, I assumed it would be.

kmax

I'm sorry but I just had to respond to this issue again.

You people that are critical of Geoff, do you know what journalists do? Unless they're specifically under NDA, they can report on ANYTHING, as long as they verify and vet their sources so that they make sure that they are credible, it's in their interest to report information to the general public. For whatever reason, Geoff got to learn about the price point, so he reported it. He did his job. Had it been Kotaku or Eurogamer or anyone else, they'd report it too, as it's their job as journalists to do so. They're impartial and or not part of any outside company in any way, shape or form.

Transparency in journalism is fucking important, especially in our industry that has been plagued with publishers putting pressure and even banning journalists for reporting on their games. That shit ain't right.

Well done Geoff.

ffvorax

So in the end why shuold someone buy the XBOXONEX to have more power at that price when it's possible to have much more power building a PC and playing the same games? :/
And more it's not a new console so people can also buy the cheaper version of Xboxone for play anything

Looks nice only for people that don't know how to build/buy a decent pc to me...

At 399$ would have been a different story.

I'm really curious to know if it will sell well or not, but I'm not positive at all. I'm a PS gamer (also N for a couple of games and Steam when my laptop allow me), but we NEED a decent competitor for a decent marker for us all... and it's looking bad... :(

Good morning folks! Wow, so I was wrong and Microsoft really went for $499. An extremely niche product that will do absolutely nothing to change Xbox's fortunes.

Wamb0wneD

Guys, guys, Geoff is only biased towards Totino's pizza rolls this year.

You joke but when he had Pachter on his show earlier he just asked him how he liked the Xbox conference and Pachter said, in short, he doesn't think it was all that great because of the lack of exclusives and the price. And Geoff actually agreed. There were E3's in the past where Geoff would have tried to sneak in something positive about the Xbox brand whenever he could. Totinos actually brought us an unbiased Geoff.

Donos

Disagree that it somehow had any negative effect an the reveal itself. I think on the contrary, like EvilLore also said, the heavily invested people got a warning that it "maybe" wouldn't be their 399 $ or less hope.

Rage would have been more severe with the sudden realization of 499 $. So Keighley rather did MS a favor in softening the blow a bit. Everything else, with petitions etc is just stupid but that's the normal internet/consolewars carnival.

ethomaz

Banned
Not a trolling question: How much does playing 4K Blu-rays add to the cost of the X? It was enough for even Sony not to include the feature in the Pro, so I'm wondering if it really is a big factor in the higher price.
Pretty little.

4GB GDDR5, bigger APU and liquid cooling are the components that most add to price.

The Pope

Eat the hat, please. I expect a big one.

I just cant believe the team at Xbox. Someone F upped. I dont think they expected it themselves to be $499. That cooling chamber cant have been cheap. Looks like Sony is going to remain unchallenged for the foreseeable future.

Priced too high to make even a tiny dent in market share. This is MS conceding this gen to Sony and essentially positioning the X as a niche product. I'll most likely still buy one bc I'm heavily invested in the ecosystem and have a shit-ton of Microsoft Store credit, so it'll end up basically free for me. Still looking forward to it but the price is definitely disappointing as - along w/ a dearth of compelling exclusives - this all but guarantees it'll land with a thud, not a bang... Which is unfortunate given its potential.

Altairre

Like I posted before, a lot of tin foil hats in this thread and as usual the conspiracy theory turned out to be bullshit. Who could have guessed?

I think it was, but most people here seem to think it was just a journalist openly leaking important unreleased info from a big company on his own.

And apparently it's still going on. What exactly would MS gain by leaking the price a couple of hours before the official reveal? It just causes confusion and in this case people were setting themselves up for disappointment because they think it's a marketing ploy. The "soften the blow" argument is complete bullshit as well. Soften the blow for whom? The people that care enough to check E3 rumours a couple of hours before the conference? The best way to control that message is to announce it on the official stage in the context of a lineup they think is worth the price of admission, not through a twitter message and a couple of GAF posts.

Geoff caught wind of the information and decided to post it because he wasn't bound by any NDAs or the like. It's not particularly exciting but that also means it's probably true.

I've said it before but I'm not sure what it is about Scorpio that created such heavy delusions.

There was the Ryzen and Vega thing where certain people were dead set on it.

There was the 399 thing.

And there were also people convinced it was going to release in August or September despite the marketing materials explicitly saying *holiday."

Not sure I've ever seen a console release with such fervent belief of total nonsense before.

Thorrgal

I meant access as in having Microsoft people on his shows or interviews in the future. I could see any of the big gaming companies saying "if you run that leak, we won't let you interview our exec next year" if they were faced with a leak that they really didn't want to get out there.

I'm 100% sure MS leaked the price to soften the blow

What I don't know is why didn't they let the DF guys reveal it and start building the narrative that "it's 499 but totally worth it" for this, this and this

EGM1966

I've said it before but I'm not sure what it is about Scorpio that created such heavy delusions.

There was the Ryzen and Vega thing where certain people were dead set on it.

There was the 399 thing.

And there were also people convinced it was going to release in August or September despite the marketing materials explicitly saying *holiday."

Not sure I've ever seen a console release with such fervent belief of total nonsense before.
It's pretty obvious. Hardcore Xbox fans are still hoping for a mid-gen turnaround from MS as "rightful king" combined with general sense some stronger competition would be better for the market (but in terms of the really extreme expectations clearly the former).

Obviously the points focused on could have been quite disruptive (say $399 price point or Ryzen) but they always seemed like outside chances really.

they can charge whatever tbh. if this is the same system just a luxury version then they can sell to the wealthier customers for even more if they want.

borges

Banned
crazy and ridiculous all that people saying that this was kind of a synthetic, prefabricated leak orchestrated by ms and geoff. but its telling how many people believe it. conspiracy theories still have an special appeal.

ethomaz

Banned
Why do most people think it is expensive? It's better than the Pro with more capabilities. It's cheaper than an equivalent PC (at least where i live) and it is supposed to be a premium model. In my opinion XBOXs price is justifiable unlike XBOs launch price with the kinect.
Because some vocal guys expected Scorpio to be priced as the definitive choice over Pro and not to be only an option in the market.

The price is reasonable if you add a 40% bigger APU, 4GB GDDR5, UHD BD-drive and liquid cooling... all these things add a lot to the price over the Pro.

$399 was never supposed to happen I was thinking with MS taking a small hit and selling it at $449 but the liquid cooling pretty seated $499 for me.

It is a premium product at premium price.

gamz

Because some vocal guys expected Scorpio to be priced as the definitive choice over Pro and not to be only an option in the market.

The price is reasonable if you add a 40% bigger APU, 4GB GDDR5, UHD BD-drive and liquid cooling... all these things add a lot to the price over the Pro.

$399 was never supposed to happen I was thinking with MS taking a small hit and selling it at $449 but the liquid cooling pretty seated $499 for me.

It is a premium product at premium price.

Agreed with everything you said.

Theonik

A vapour chamber is not liquid cooling. It is a very effective cooler design albeit somewhat more expensive than simpler heatsinc designs.
Microsoft's wording is intentionally confusing to make their solution sound exotic.

ethomaz

Banned
A vapour chamber is not liquid cooling. It is a very effective cooler design albeit somewhat more expensive than simpler heatsinc designs.
Microsoft's wording is intentionally confusing to make their solution sound exotic.
It is more expensive... that is my point... it is pretty easy to add $100 to a hardware just with the components I listed.

Theonik

It is more expensive... that is my point.
It is, as is the UHD drive, though MS having it in the Xbox One S makes including it on the Scorpio cheaper. The $100 is basically for the extra GDDR5 chips, wider bus to accommodate that, more complicated cooling to be able to hit these higher clocks and more expensive power delivery.

It's really good engineering, but of course you will pay for it. There was no way MS could have ever outmanoeuvred Sony on price while out-speccing them. People's best bet was MS gets closer the $399 and Sony immediately cuts price of the pro to $349.

Top Bottom