• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Geoff Keighley: Scorpio rumored to cost $499 (he's right, flawless victory)

HawaiianDreads

Neo Member
Pretty sure its going to be $399 I have a feeling that he saying that price to generate more hype I mean MS can't be that dumb to put the console at S499.

If you want to read some dumb anecdotal shit to believe at your own risk:

A friend was telling me on friday that he went to Gamestop to spend some store credit, and the employees weren't at the counter. He could hear them in the back, apparently they got their Scorpio materials and were talking about how "they couldn't believe it was only $399"

Obviously anyone can make up that sort of shit but I trust him on it. He knows I don't care so he's not telling me to be a console warrior or something, it's just a funny thing to stumble into. Again believe at your own risk but I was already expecting $399 anyways so it's not terribly outrageous

Huh I wonder if my store got any marketing for the Scorpio. I haven't seen any, but then again we've been busy lately with other stuff these past few days.

DieH@rd

Banned
LOL.

It will be 399. It has to be.

Anything higher is suicide.

They will not sell this OPTIONAL hardware at a loss. They got burned with that already with first few years of Xbox One.

If they have to sell something at loss, it will be a true nextgen hardware. A hardware that HAS to reach wide audience.

Not sure Geoff would lower himself to be a damn shill for the entire world to see.

But again, Microsoft would be spectacularly stupid to launch at that price.

Elandyll

Banned
If that is true, then I will probably laugh tbh.

edit: to explain why: slightly overclocked Jaguar, overclocked Polaris 40 CU Gpu, and a "secret sauce hardware D12" don't seem to make for a $499 beast to me, but then again, MS probably want to actually make money, not lose some.

HeatBoost

No matter what angle I look at this, I don't get it

If it's underpowered, then what's the point?
If it's heavy duty and comes with a heavy duty pricetag... but you then still have to make games backwards compatible, whats the point?

Ok, I agree it's unlike Keighley to leak such a thing. But it's just as unlikely that he'd take the hit to his reputation for some shady MS marketing agreement.

It'll be $499.

To those thinking this is staged:

What does Keighley have to gain by doing this assuming it's not some MS ploy?

If it is an MS ploy... why? Why rile everyone up when they can just announce $399 at their conference and get the same amount of cheers?

Seijuro

Good luck with that price when Switch and PS4 (or even Xbox Slim) will have some sweet deals with games boxed in and much lower prices available come fall/winter.

Pachimari

Is €499 really fucking worth 4K graphics on your TV? Seriously? And it'll be limited to Xbox One games. PC gamers have no reason at all to jump ship.

MrS

Banned
Another MS mis-step IF it's true. We shall see. Seems a bit pricey but if there are must have exclusive unveils then it's worth the price.

Calm Mind

Too-Damn-High.jpg

Reckheim

Ok, I agree it's unlike Keighley to leak such a thing. But it's just as unlikely that he'd take the hit to his reputation for some shady MS marketing agreement.

It'll be $499.

He gave him self an out in the tweet tho. He isn't guaranteeing anything.

Tecnniqe

Banned
$500 would be pretty low. Microsoft spent so much time explaining everything and laying out spec details and people are still expecting $400? So weird.
People always want more for less or the same. You can't have it both ways and screaming DOA from the rooftops won't make a difference. I'd argue $60 games is too low for their creating costs which is why we have come to this mumbo jumbo crate system to bleed whales dry to recover increasingly higher costs as people expect bigger, prettier and more depth games.

Is it really $499? Few hours until we truly find out but it won't be shocking.

This is very disappointing and confirms they don't intend to try to get back all the marketshare lost with XB1.

Almost nobody outside their core userbase will buy at that price.
Scorpio was NEVER going to win back marketshare. It's a premium product that's going to sell a fraction of the units of the base model...just like the PS4 Pro. Many in GAF made the false assumption that Scorpio was to be a mass market product and built a house of straw out of it.

usp84

Well reading the comments Geoff Keighley must be pretty "gullible" to leak something like this only for MS to fool him and say it's 399.

We need to be honest with ourselves here. Spencer has always been very forthright about this Scorpio box, always touting it as a premium product. I'll be honest and say that I thought MS was using Scorpio to make a big push and capture some market share and not let it all slip away as it has been since 2013. I mean it already has.

Releasing this box at $499 truly makes me ask, who is this for? I mean for me I'm not a PC gamer, but the enthusiasts who clamor for the best graphics will want or already have a gaming rig. Leadbetter will say that for the price and what Scorpio is capable of you're getting a deal but consumers don't care about that. Joe/Jane Schmo off the street will not care. It's all about optics. $499>$399 plain and simple.

The library on the competition is bigger, better and let's say MS comes out with awesome software, well you can plan them on PC now. Very very confused by MS if $499 is in fact the price.

Justinh

@michaelpachter
Geoff is well connected and most likely right. $499 puts Scorpio at a disadvantage, expect PS4 Pro to get a price cut tomorrow

Ah apologies, I didn't see that. I was going by his E3 predictions video. He's been contradicting himself a lot in the last few weeks.

jdmonmou

That's assuming you have all the other parts for the PC already. If you don't it's a much bigger investment. If you want reasonably high end graphics without going all in, Scorpio should serve the purpose.

It's not that much of a bigger investment if you can do without 4K and just want 1080p 60 FPS. Plus PC will have a bigger library of games.

Dysun

Sounds like a reasonable price for the power provided. Not sure what people were expecting when they saw the specs, this is an enthusiast product aimed at console gamers who play western third party games and don't want to invest in a PC. Not the biggest market around

CryptiK

To those thinking this is staged:

What does Keighley have to gain by doing this assuming it's not some MS ploy?

If it is an MS ploy... why? Why rile everyone up when they can just announce $399 at their conference and get the same amount of cheers?
Money. Thats what he has to gain. Money, and he has been known to do stupid shit for it before.

ekim

Huh I wonder if my store got any marketing for the Scorpio. I haven't seen any, but then again we've been busy lately with other stuff these past few days.

If any store got the marketing material already we would know the name by now and stuff would've been leaked.

Top Bottom