• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Geoff Keighley: Scorpio rumored to cost $499 (he's right, flawless victory)

cakely

$499 for a Jaguar / Polaris console at the end of 2017.

I'll be sad that I was so wrong with my $399 prediction, but wow, it's still so hard to believe.

univbee

Why would they need to rehearse a price point portion? I mean, if you cant remember a price when giving a presentation, you should not be in this business.

When you're speaking in front of literally millions of people you need to practice EVERYTHING like crazy so that everything is on auto-pilot to lower the chance that you'll choke.

The average consumer doesn't look at consoles as first place or second place machines. That's what fanboys think like. The average consumer will simply ask for the most powerful console. Which will be the Scorpio.

The average consumer makes decisions based on their own personal cost-benefit analysis. What you're describing is far from average, you are describing the enthusiast consumer that wants the best item on the market regardless of cost.

There is honestly no reason to let this leak.

Why is someone so "respected" willing to risk it all with a leak like this for internet fame? It's career suicide as he looses all trust and integrity.

Why would Microsoft market like this ? It's amateurish and a cheap shot.

I'm stumped it makes zero sense from both parties.

My guess is they know the price isn't going to be popular, so they're getting it out of the way to offset some of the heat from the conference.

Maybe I'm feeling weirdly conspiratorial but why would Geoff of all people leak something like this? Isn't he's involved with the Microsoft presser? Microsoft testing the waters for a potential last minute change?

If this price is true then this thing is DOA.

To take the disappointment edge off the actual announcement.

wtd2009

Can't believe all the people scoffing at $499.

Tons of people think the PS4 pro is worth it at $399 and it's a kind of a joke of an upgrade. I bought a PS4 pro, but I'll happily pay $100 more than that thing for a significantly more powerful machine.

Maybe if the PS4 pro had a UHD player. Based on current market prices for UHD players, that drive alone is worth the price difference.

I'll be buying a pro eventually, but I completely agree with this. No buy for me until the price drops and there is a bundle.

I just think $500 is a little intimidating even though it's a fine deal overall when you break down what you're getting. It's a chunk of change.

Ephemeris

At that price, I wonder if it offers additional features that we don't know about. Wouldn't be surprised if it's a straight-up PC that plays xbox one games at this point.

I can only see this being a right price if they say this is truly a next gen for them. If not, it may be a little too much and it will be an even more niche product than I thought, and if that is the case, I don't expect the talk about Scorpio to last.
That being said, I'm really excited for today's conference and I think they will bring some amazing displays of visuals.

Well I like Mr Keighley, but I can't believe that Microsoft would make such an error to price at 500 dollars - so until they actually say it - I'm still saying 400.

jeffram

Can't believe all the people scoffing at $499.

Tons of people think the PS4 pro is worth it at $399 and it's a kind of a joke of an upgrade. I bought a PS4 pro, but I'll happily pay $100 more than that thing for a significantly more powerful machine.

Maybe if the PS4 pro had a UHD player. Based on current market prices for UHD players, that drive alone is worth the price difference.

If the PS4 Pro seems great at $400 and $500 is obscene for a much moire powerful machine with a UHD drive, then this clearly isn't for you. Then again, it's Microsoft, they can't seem to win around here.
we really have to see games head to head. Whatever the pro is in terms of an upgrade games don't exactly look bad on it. Horizon is breathtaking.

Scorpio has to show $100 improvement. Sure it's more powerful but that power has to manifest itself into a night and day difference, and not one that DF has to point out.

Pro doubles the resolution of some PS4 games and many people don't immediately see the difference.

GHG

Sounds like they leaked this to gain reaction online and will adjust price accordingly.

If you have any idea how the approval process works at some of these huge companies...

Whatever the price is, it will have been decided upon a while ago.

MercuryLS3

This thing is considerably more powerful than the PS4 pro, what made you guys think it was going to be $400? I always assumed this would be $500.

Good luck to them at that price, going to be a tough sell. The price disparity between the One S and this thing is too big, Sony got it right with the ~$100 gap.

RowdyReverb

So, $500 Scorpio for high end market and $250 XB1S for budget market. I think it's priced too high, but I get the logic. When they phase out the XB1S, they should be able to price this more competitively

Gator86

I love how Geoff has been in here to restate it and people still don't believe him. Now we're on to "Geoff must be being deliberately mislead... For some reason" arguments.

I love a bit of wild denial. It reminds me of when MisterX tried to tell everybody that the reason why MS didn't tell ANYONE, not even their own developers, about the extra, secret GPU in the Xbox One was that they didn't want Sony to go out of business. This shit is gold. God I love E3 / new console reveals.

I'm enjoying the hell out of this thread. People invested way too much in the Scorpio = return of Xbox brand dominance narrative.

images

Alebrije

If price is true , and IF PSPRO goes down 50.00 Us. Alacran is done.

But those are a lot of "If", let's wait for the conference.

Angst

You guys were literally mental thinking this was going to be $399.

Who thinks like that?
Well you see, someone put in the numbers from the teaser in Google and found an old magazine with a robot that cost 400 bucks. After that it was obvious that scorpio would be 399... 🙃

Dierce

I mean if they want $500 for it they might just a well sell it for $600 if they are marketing it as a premium product for xbox fans. It's insane either way if true.

DOA. Not buying it. $449 was pushing it. $399 is an instat-buy.
I'm sorry but if a $100 difference on a 400-500 piece of tech is the difference from insta-buy to not buying it, there are issues with your entire rational for the system.

$499 seems​ fine, as it seems​ to be a very buff system with great specs. The ultimate issue on buying is not the $499 price, it's what that offer you other than increased resolution. It 100% depends on the support developers add for a Scorpio buff, not the $499 tag. The $399/499 is a none issue really.

Zarth

I love how ppl talk about how this machine will be so much better and more powerful.

Just remember a Ferrari isn't fast if the user keeps it in first gear all the time.

The software has to use the power.

He wouldn't say it in his twitter unless he was sure that was the price. He's always been close with MS. I think MS wanted you place the price in your mind before the conference by the time the 500 dollar price is announce you will be exited for it and not be shocked like now. Still 500 is a hard sell. DOA with a ps4 slim and XboxOne S at 199 come Christmas. No wonder they didn't think scorpio would see that much.

Lol the average consumer no longer cares what console is more powerful as an end all be all at this point in the gen. Most of their friends have PS4 and some of them have Xbox. Depending on who they want to play online combined with price will determine what system they buy.

As long as it has the games I don't mind paying.... we really don't have a bench mark, it is more powerful then he pro so not sure why people are flipping out!

scream

Guys, the price is $499 and that is what has been rehearsed.
I can already see it:

In your interview with Phill, you will ask him "how come the price is 399$ if I know for a fact it was 499 in the rehearsal"

Phill with a smug face: "HOOK LINE AND SINKER MUHAHA", "Oh and thanks for playing along".

Hawk269

They rehearse the entire show.

No shit...but why rehearse that part which is probably the biggest news to come out will be the price. Why would you need to rehearse saying "$499.99"? I get rehearsing all the other parts of the show, but for this particular portion, they really don't.

The really funny (sad) thing is that for almost a year now MS has been preparing their fans to accept the high price. Constantly mentioning words and phrases like "premium" "enthusiast" "for the fans" clearly shows they were aiming for this price point.

And yet we STILL have people here that apparently plugged their fingers into their ears and believed that this will be some magical $349 mega console sold at a loss that will put Xbox on the top sales and get back all the exclusives again.

This is one of the most hilarious posts I've read all year. Thank you.
I should have added more words to that post to avoid getting snarky remarks. What I meant to say is the average consumer will ask the store employee what console to get for his or her child. The employee will most likely mention Scorpio as the new console and that it is the most powerful console. Now will that lead to a lot of pure sales? Maybe, probably not. But to assume consumers care about first or second place is dumb.

muzzymate

Ouch if that what it ends up being. I’m not in the market for the Scorpio since I’m incredibly happy with my One S, but this ensures there’s no temptation.

Vinc

It's a very tough sell for me at 399, they'd have to show a significant amount of exclusive games in a roadmap that covers the next few years. At 499 it's just... pretty much impossible to convince me.

Again, it seems like Microsoft has been really wanting us to believe it's 499. I'm sure they would like to shock people with the price. I don't doubt Geoff one bit, I'm 100% certain he's telling the truth, but if he's heard it from MS people and at rehearsals, I would not be surprised if it's wrong on purpose. Didn't the whole MS conference leak due to rehearsals last year? They know it's not safe to do that.

anothertech

Guys, the price is $499 and that is what has been rehearsed.
You're a good guy Geoff. Should help the trauma that's about to happen at the end of their conference.

We needed this tbh. After that whole 'robot costs less than 400' debacle on google a couple days ago.

None the less, popcorn and salt shakers incoming. This gun be good.

Top Bottom