• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Geoff Keighley: Scorpio rumored to cost $499 (he's right, flawless victory)

True Fire

This thing is DEAD in Canada.

Nintendo Switch is $400 in Canada and people still storm into EB Games and Best Buy every morning to buy one.

Apple has conditioned consumers to expect to pay major bank for electronics. What's a $500 game console when Mom, Dad, Jimmy, and Susie each have $1000 iPhones?

AudioEppa

7SqpKHt.gif

ROTFL

Nipo

If the 499 price is true Microsoft should have let digital foundry announce it with the hardware articles. Would have given time for the price to blow over and they could alway announce lower to make people happy. Seems like a really weird decision.

Sheroking

No, they didn't. No massive company works this way at all.

There's a long history of tech products undercutting their competition on price, actually.

What they definitely didn't do was slash the price by $100 in the hours between Microsoft and Sony's conferences that year.

DeaDPo0L84

at $500 this thing will dead in the water faster than the One. Pro isnt selling gangbusters but it has a much larger pool of consumers to pull from. The only way I would even consider it at $500 is if it was a true next gen console that had exclusive games. $500 for a mid gen bump is mind blowingly stupid on behalf of Microsoft. Did they really learn nothing?!

Madchad

So $83 per teraflop then I guess.

And by that measure, Scorpio is a steal :)

Xbox One S: $199 / 1.3 TF = $153 per TF
PS4 Slim: $249 / 1.84 TF = $135 per TF
PS4 Pro: $399 / 4.2 TF = $95 per TF
Xbox Scorpio: $499 / 6 TF = $82 per TF

Are you a political spin doctor ?

DrakeDeception

Neo Member
For people that feel Microsoft rehearsed a fake price just in case of leaks. Do you think they rehearsed fake game announcements just in case of those being leaked as well?

LowParry

Well, on the flips side and bad news for PS4 Pro is we may not see a price reduce this year. That sucks cause some of my friends want to get it but not pay for the current price.

The Pro at 399 doesn't matter. Sony is winning. Losing consoles usually meet competitors at a competitive price point even if it means they are losing money. 499 is suicide. It doesn't matter if they are stronger, etc. MS should have thought about that when deciding the specs of the console.

FZZ

Banned
Guys, the price is $499 and that is what has been rehearsed.

Can't it still be subjected to change last minute?

Especially based off of the reactions this price is getting on the internet right now?

From what I remember Sony didn't have the PS4 final price locked in until Microsoft revealed the Xbox One price right?

nelchaar

As a Pro owner who bought the console for $399, I would not have seen $499 as a deterrent. If you want to have the enthusiast experience, an extra $100 won't stop you.

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
You are right, though there are 3 camps:

-"PS4 Pro is cheaper with better/more exclusives"

And

-"Outside of the states, the price point will be too high"

And
-"Will just build an upgradeable gaming PC" (especially in places like Canada where PC parts are decently priced)

So yeah you are right, but at $499 USD there's a ton of competition
I looked at the first 100 posts in reaction to this leak and ~50 were negative, ~6 were positive, and the rest were a mix of laughter and confusion("what did you expect?" "shouldn't it be $499?").

So 50% negative reaction and 6% positive, with the remaining neutral(don't give a f*ck, etc). That's the 3 groups I see.

Elandyll

Banned
that would also make geoff a MS tool and not a real journalist...
IF they pull that, and if I were him, I'd be pretty upset. Because (again IF) that would definitely be ising someone to manipulate opinion and generate artificial hype.

Basically fake news.

But at the very least they renewed interest in watching to figure it out.

Rolf NB

My final take away from all this:

Microsoft: This is why you don't announce a console almost a year and a half in advance!

You not only let your competition undercut you completely (whether or not the Pro was planned in response to the Scorpio is irrelevant since it still came out first), it makes your fanbase create such unrealistic expectations that when it comes time to actually announce price and features it will just disappoint them.
They created a year of hype though. Without Scorpio, what would Xbox fans have talked about this whole time? What Xbox meme would have spilled into countless threads here and elsewhere?
This was a calculated move. They needed a flag to carry.

At $499 they’ll have to really show what a big difference between the PS4 Pro.

And it has to more than 2160p vs. PS4 Pro’s range of 1440p-2160p

Breakage

This is still an Xbox One at the end of the day. The masses aren't DF fanatics. If it had its own exclusives it'd be compelling. I wonder how many units they are planning to sell.

Mooreberg

Since Geoff was kind enough to reiterate it here, I will give him the benefit of the doubt.

If this holds, Sony will not need to do anything about it for the next two years. Competing with attractive bundles with vanilla PS4 in the Switch price range will be the focus.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
1) This "leak" by a well-known person has already created a bit of buzz around the new console. This thread alone has got 1500 replies in a relatively short period of time.

2) Now people want to check the news and watch the show to see if the price leak is true.

3) People watching the show are then "surprised" that the console price is actually lower than expcted.

4) Give the initial rumoured premium price of $499, people now see the actual price of 399 as a bargain compared to the expensive 499.

It's a win-win-win-win. So marketing wise, there are plenty of reasons.

Cus no one here was going to watch the MS conference until this leak. Nope.

Reallink

Microsoft isn't gunning for Sony, they're gunning for PC. 499 is an affordable option for gamers who want 4K 60fps but don't want to pay over a grand.

1080s are sub $450 and even sub $400 these days if you follow sales. That is a 10.25TF part at guaranteed 2Ghz clock. If they're gunning for PC, they are targeting super core who already have a PC to upgrade, not people buying 2 grand prebuilts.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
No shit...but why rehearse that part which is probably the biggest news to come out will be the price. Why would you need to rehearse saying "$499.99"? I get rehearsing all the other parts of the show, but for this particular portion, they really don't.
Isn't announcing a price point one of the most fraught aspects of a product reveal? I would certainly rehearse my delivery of the news, especially if it's a premium price.

fantomena

No, they didn't. No massive company works this way at all.

Does it seem likely to you that Sony watched the MS presser and just decided to knock $100 of their price , or does it seem more likely that it was always $399 ?

No, that never happened. It was like Jeff Gerstmann telling a joke.

Yeah, the corporate decision to lose $100 per unit in profit happened at the spur of a moment when MS announced the Xbox One's price. This is often how multi billion dollar companies do business.

I'm still #team399. Geoff is fake news :)

Yeah, just checked again, must have misremembered.

http://www.playstationlifestyle.net...n-the-aisles-after-xbox-one-499-announcement/

Absolutely great. It was an amazing feeling. Absolutely. We went nuts. We were just like everybody else because this plan has been in place for years. Developing a new console takes a long time. With a goal that was set in motion about three or four years ago, we saw this at the February event about how we talked to all the different developers. You know, what do you like about the PS3, what would you like to see changed, that’s all real. All that happened. Our goal was to build the most powerful console at a price that was affordable and we set that target at $399. All the great engineers in Japan, Mark Cerny was leading all those teams, everything all came together.

ViolentP

If it somehow ended up at $399 nobody would consider his credibility damaged. Clearly his info came from someone at MS and he would therefore be viewed as someone getting played, in a way everyone would be happy about. The scenario where his cred would evaporate would be something more akin to him hyping something specific up only for that thing to totally disappoint. If he is wrong, this would be the opposite scenario.

Making an incorrect announcement just hours before confirmation will absolutely affect his credibility.

JP

I'm not convinced that Geoff Keighley is doing anything here apart from exactly what Microsoft are paying him to do. Almost a "Let's not have another E3 like the others, we'll just sneak it out quietly and spend the show concentrating on the technology". The last thing they need is a show where the attendees are too pissed off to cheer.

Top Bottom