• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Geoff Keighley to interview Moby Dick Studios

Mik_Pad

Banned
It's Geoff, so how anyone expected anything but a bait and switch is beyond me. I'm not trying to call anyone out but when it comes to his shows it's just better to go in expecting it and then be pleasantly surprised if it's not.
I don't understand how people can complain about these?
He said he interviewed the guy, guess what they showed an interview. Did they even say they would have new footage?

I can only say GDC keeps getting better each day.

He said he interviewed the guy, guess what they showed an interview. Did they even say they would have new footage?

But an interview where there is no new information obtained by the interviewer, and is instead created for the sole purpose of being a marketing play...isn't really an interview at all, is it?

Either that or GK is the worst 'interviewer' of all time.

Mik_Pad

Banned
But an interview where there is no new information obtained by the interviewer, and instead the whole thing turns out to just be a marketing play...isn't really an interview, is it? Either that or GK is the worst 'interviewer' of all time.
What were you expecting??????
It was an interview, Geoff asked questions and Mr. Joakim answered and sure this was pure marketing but I think that most of us already knew that before watching it.

But an interview where there is no new information obtained by the interviewer, and is instead created for the sole purpose of being a marketing play...isn't really an interview at all, is it?

Either that or GK is the worst 'interviewer' of all time.
you do realize this is GAMETRAILERS, right? they literally exist to be a marketing vehicle

I can only say GDC keeps getting better each day.

I tend to expect an interview to give information of value. Otherwise it's more of an advertisement or at the very least.. just a recorded conversation. I mean if Geoff had Miyamoto on, promo'd it as an interview.. and they talked about Miyamoto's top 10 restaurants outside of Japan.. would you deem that a legitimate interview?

Obviously this wasn't that abstract but you understand why people feel deceived right?

Mik_Pad

Banned
I tend to expect an interview to give information of value. Otherwise it's more of an advertisement or at the very least.. just a recorded conversation. I mean if Geoff had Miyamoto on, promo'd it as an interview.. and they talked about Miyamoto's top 10 restaurants outside of Japan.. would you deem that a legitimate interview?

Obviously this wasn't that abstract but you understand why people feel deceived right?
It was a Phantom Pain Interview you could only expect something like that nothing more. I understand what you say btw but an interview is an interview it doesn't matter if the info is good or bad.

It was a Phantom Pain Interview you could only expect something like that nothing more. I understand what you say btw but an interview is an interview it doesn't matter if the info is good or bad.

Then what, in your opinion, is the difference between a conversation and an interview? If there's nothing of value revealed, yet you fail to express that in the media leading up to the show.. is that not deception through omission?

Mik_Pad

Banned
Then what, in your opinion, is the difference between a conversation and an interview? If there's nothing of value revealed, yet you fail to express that in the media leading up to the show.. is that not deception through omission?

I'll start by saying I know that The Phantom Pain Interview was staged and was for marketing and the guy was clearly an american with a really bad faked accent, lol.

Interview:
1 : a formal consultation usually to evaluate qualifications (as of a prospective student or employee) 2 a : a meeting at which information is obtained (as by a reporter, television commentator, or pollster) from a person b : a report or reproduction of information so obtained

www.merriam-webster.com

So Keighly had a meeting with Joakim, he asked questions and Joakim answered. What information we got: new trailer for The Phantom Pain at GDC.

Lame faked interview? Yes it was.
Was it expected? Yes it was.

An announcement of a trailer isn't what I would call information but I suppose it's splitting hairs. I'll also reiterate that I expected this from jump.. I can just understand why people who didn't expect it would feel lied to.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
mogren6zufj.gif

Mik_Pad

Banned
An announcement of a trailer isn't what I would call information but I suppose it's splitting hairs. I'll also reiterate that I expected this from jump.. I can just understand why people who didn't expect it would feel lied to.
True but who is looking forward for The Phantom Pain? Only MG fans eager to hear more about it.
Just to be clear I respect your opinion and I agree with you but I don't think it applies in this particular case.

nickp

Neo Member
If it wasn't obvious already, tonight's interview all but proved this has been a clever rouse at the hands of our beloved madman, Hideo Kojima.

For those who didn't watch, the interview concluded with Joakim showing off screenshots and concept art on his iPad.
The in-game shots had FOX Engine watermarks.
Geoff did a double-take and asked to confirm the game was running FOX Engine.
Joakim shuttered.
Cut to THE PHANTOM PAIN title.
End interview.

Yeah. We're on to you, Kojima.
You fucking mad genius.

Eusis

Were you honestly expecting anything else?
Empty PR babble about being immersively visceral or whatever (seriously.)

Come to think of it, I kinda wish he had that mustache popping out from under the bandages and sunglasses, but I guess that'd ruin looking like the bandaged guy in-game.

Superflat

Yikes even for a fake interview, I was pretty bummed by the complete lack of information.

I guess the big tidbit reveal in that video was supposed to be that it's running on the new Fox Engine. But of course, the internet pretty much popped the lid on this whole thing. We're all just waiting for the words "Metal Gear Solid V" to show up with the Phantom Pain title. I wish they almost made it impossible to connect the dots because I would have loved following this and not knowing wtf was going on, lol

It's fine though, I'll play game and follow the theatrics. Let's go GDC!

DJIzana

GDC and PAX East are coming up soon... definitely hyped. Phantom Pain looks good and I'm hoping to finally see more info regarding a PSO2 North American announcement.

Oh... does anyone have a link for the Miyamoto interview as well from that GTTV?

medze

so stupid but still so funny. I feel like we already know the punchline to this drawn out joke but im still hoping for a Shyamalan-esque twist at the end.

_woLf

I seriously can't believe some of you guys think it's Cliffy. I can buy that maybe it could be Geoff interviewing himself, but it's not holier-than-thou Dude "TOO BAD MOTHERFUCKER!" Huge.

El-Suave

I seriously can't believe some of you guys think it's Cliffy. I can buy that maybe it could be Geoff interviewing himself, but it's not holier-than-thou Dude "TOO BAD MOTHERFUCKER!" Huge.

Exactly, Cliffy wouldn't have behaved the way he did if he had a game to sell us in the immediate future.

Top Bottom