• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

George Kamitani responds to Kotaku

zoukka

It's a terrible response to this thread though.

There are plenty of examples of men being objectified in the way she described at the end of her comic, particularly in Japanese games.

Which is why the character is Batman, characterizing western comics (is my guess).

The argument this comic responds to is that "oh hey, men are objectified too". The point is that the male archetype presentation in most comics is -not- equivalent to the female archetype presentation in most comics. They are both stereotypical male fantasies, one re power, the other re sex.

But that is also assuming that the comic's author has the "correct" view of that objectification. Again by personal experience, but I have know quite a few geek girls who revel in not only the outfits and atttudes of female comic characters, but love how 'hot' the males are. Yet again and again it's assumed that the objectification of women is worse somehow. See that's the thing, people have different views. It's funny how the world works.

JDSN

Banned
Come on. If you think Twitter is an echo chamber, you should see the thousands of nasty Twitter messages I've gotten in the past 72 hours.

It is an echo chamber because up to the date you disagree with Kamitani's response, you are obviously continuing ranting online about it and you have yet failed to point out why you disagree with his points.

And no, a random nutbab on twitter saying "Dem bitchdykes are runining my hobby!" doesnt cancel all the arguments presented on Neogaf by both sides of the argument.

I'm just grasping at straws here but I want to say that this is hypocritical as fuck.

It was actually four hours of waiting.

It's a terrible response to this thread though.

There are plenty of examples of men being objectified in the way she described at the end of her comic, particularly in Japanese games.

Nightwing would appeal to any readers who wanted a sexy bishonen Batman honestly. Before the comic shop I worked at closed down, a lot of female readers would pick up Nightwing. It might have to do with the fact that he has a sleek slim build and a tight suit that hugs his butt cheeks. Also the artist usually like drawing crotch shots and splits for him because like Spider-Man crotch shots and splits means they have some acrobatic ability. Though that doesn't take away from anyone else liking him. As a straight male I like that he kicks ass with those kali sticks and I usually like every animated representation of Dick Grayson like in Teen Titans and Young Justice.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Is the "male fantasy" itself sexist, or just the lopsided amount of male fantasies in the industry?

What if sometime in the distant future we had an industry with equivalent amounts of sex appeal for male and female gamers?

Yes it can be. But it's funny that some people are stating that all men want a woman with 36 EE breast as if they know all men. Why are some people making this assumption?

zoukka

But that is also assuming that the comic's author has the "correct" view of that objectification. Again by personal experience, but I have know quite a few geek girls who revel in not only the outfits and atttudes of female comic characters, but love how 'hot' the males are. Yet again and again it's assumed that the objectification of women is worse somehow. See that's the thing, people have different views. It's funny how the world works.

But we have quantifiable data on audiences, writers and developers being mainly men in these fields/mediums. Men making entertainment to other men. And you are questioning the likelihood of it being a biased design ecosystem?

Yes it can be. But it's funny that some people are stating that all men want a woman with 36 EE breast as if they know all men. Why are some people making this assumption?

It's a generalization based on the current archetypically ideal body types and social memes.

Which is why the character is Batman, characterizing western comics (is my guess).

Pop quiz! Where's this character from?
2458091-dragon's+crown+wizard.png

luxarific

Nork unification denier

Agreed, but people seem to be annoyed because a critic wrote a piece objecting to a certain hypersexualized depiction of a female character. Why isn't the critic allowed to have "a different view"? Funny how he's immediately accused of censorship.

jschreier

I'm just grasping at straws here but I want to say that this is hypocritical as fuck.

What are you talking about? It's hypocritical for me to write an article about what happened and then write another article when we have more of Kamitani's side of the story? You're nuts if you think I should have waited until today to address this issue at all.

Odrion

Banned
Your post reads as extremely egoistic "I know it all" -bullshit.

A homophobic joke... The saying "You see what you want to see" is very apt here, as many also did not consider it to be homophobic in any meaning of the word. This has become too common of a problem, as people begin to be afraid of what they have to say, just because "some" individuals may misinterpret their message.

Sexual objectification? Why objectification? Why not just sexualization? What exactly is objectifying about the gif's we have seen from Dragon's Crown? Please, tell me. You see what you want to see. What most of us see, is an exaggerated portrayal of an attractive female magician. What do you see? Lolicon imagery? What do you see in Victoria's Secret commercials? Still lolicon imagery? What do you see in night clubs? Lolicon cosplay actors? A lot of movies aimed at women tend to feature some hot shirtless guys, because women naturally like that. And men naturally like the opposite. And both of those are ok.

Honestly, this is not about sexism or misogyny. This is about your (and some others) attitude towards sex and nudity. Some people take offense to that, I understand, but that does not make it wrong. Some people feel awkward on beaches, in clubs, etc, because of the culture, but that does not make it wrong. Some parents close their children's eyes, during sex scenes, because they are afraid of how they may interpret that. But that, does, not, make, sex, wrong. People are different, and different age brackets treat things differently. And Dragon's Crown is a game aimed at young adults. It should not try and diversify its target group for your, or anyone else's sake. People should not concede their preferences in the favor of someone else. This is the reason, why we have so many different products in the world. Because, people like different things.

Old man yells at cloud. You are complaining about the wrong things. The problems in the video game industry that can be reflected as sexism, are exactly what you are portraying here. Guys talking with guys, about what is best for women. The problem is the condescending tone towards women within executive business. The problem is the condescending tone in general. The problem is not art.

You may wonder; why is gaming predominantly male. Is it really? Or is the gaming you perceive 'real gaming' predominantly male. Women play. Women play mobile games, women play Wii games, women play Kinect games, women play all kinds of games. Do you not consider these games 'real games'? They are. They are just a different style of games. It is about preferences. Why do women tend to prefer romantic movies, and guys violent movies? Because of preferences. People are different. Women play games, and men play games. They just play different genres of games. Don't try to act all 'holier than thou' and force niches to cater to everyone, because that is something that cannot be forced.
*applaud*

Agreed, but people seem to be annoyed because a critic wrote a piece objecting to a certain hypersexualized depiction of a female character. Why isn't the critic allowed to have "a different view"? Funny how he's immediately accused of censorship.
I think people are more annoyed at the tone of his original post. I mean, look at this title for starters:

Game Developers Really Need To Stop Letting Teenage Boys Design Their Characters

Which is followed by this:

As you can see, the sorceress was designed by a 14-year-old boy. Perhaps game development studios should stop hiring teenagers? At least they're cheap, I guess.

Journalism!

What are you talking about? It's hypocritical for me to write an article about what happened and then write another article when we have more of Kamitani's side of the story? You're nuts if you think I should have waited until today to address this issue at all.

No, I think you should have at least let us know that you'd gotten a longer fleshed out apology from Kamitan instead of "sitting on it for a few days" as you so well put it yourself. Those few days resulted in shit being spewed on the internet. Shit you could have prevented by saying you had gotten a long apology which you were in the process of having translated.

I realize translating Japanese is a hell of a task, but basically you were withholding information that let people keep using the whole "homophobe" card, among other things.

And if you didn't get it, the hypocritical part was the one about internet media being superquick, where you couldn't wait four hours and then sitting on another, highly important story in that string of events.

But we have quantifiable data on audiences, writers and developers being mainly men in these fields/mediums. Men making entertainment to other men. And you are questioning the likelihood of it being a biased design ecosystem?

It's a generalization based on the current archetypically ideal body types and social memes.

So is your solution to force those men to make more comics that aren't focused on men? Or to encourage more females to get into the comic business? Being in the "art industry", I don't see much holding back females from creating their own comicbook lines or getting into existing series.

And a lot of the comic book artists I know are sleazy-horney guys (the more mainstream ones I've met), to force them to be gender equal is kind of silly.

Shit I have a bigender friend that started up her own graphic novel and game based on it.

mckmas8808

The argument this comic responds to is that "oh hey, men are objectified too". The point is that the male archetype presentation in most comics is -not- equivalent to the female archetype presentation in most comics. They are both stereotypical male fantasies, one re power, the other re sex.

And why is that a problem? This has been a piece of human understanding for 1000s of years. Why it is bad now all of a sudden?

SmokyDave

A homophobic joke... The saying "You see what you want to see" is very apt here, as many also did not consider it to be homophobic in any meaning of the word. This has become too common of a problem, as people begin to be afraid of what they have to say, just because "some" individuals may misinterpret their message.

Sexual objectification? Why objectification? Why not just sexualization? What exactly is objectifying about the gif's we have seen from Dragon's Crown? Please, tell me. You see what you want to see. What most of us see, is an exaggerated portrayal of an attractive female magician. What do you see? Lolicon imagery? What do you see in Victoria's Secret commercials? Still lolicon imagery? What do you see in night clubs? Lolicon cosplay actors? A lot of movies aimed at women tend to feature some hot shirtless guys, because women naturally like that. And men naturally like the opposite. And both of those are ok.

Honestly, this is not about sexism or misogyny. This is about your (and some others) attitude towards sex and nudity. Some people take offense to that, I understand, but that does not make it wrong. Some people feel awkward on beaches, in clubs, etc, because of the culture, but that does not make it wrong. Some parents close their children's eyes, during sex scenes, because they are afraid of how they may interpret that. But that, does, not, make, sex, wrong. People are different, and different age brackets treat things differently. And Dragon's Crown is a game aimed at young adults. It should not try and diversify its target group for your, or anyone else's sake. People should not concede their preferences in the favor of someone else. This is the reason, why we have so many different products in the world. Because, people like different things.

Old man yells at cloud. You are complaining about the wrong things. The problems in the video game industry that can be reflected as sexism, are exactly what you are portraying here. Guys talking with guys, about what is best for women. The problem is the condescending tone towards women within executive business. The problem is the condescending tone in general. The problem is not art.

You may wonder; why is gaming predominantly male. Is it really? Or is the gaming you perceive 'real gaming' predominantly male. Women play. Women play mobile games, women play Wii games, women play Kinect games, women play all kinds of games. Do you not consider these games 'real games'? They are. They are just a different style of games. It is about preferences. Why do women tend to prefer romantic movies, and guys violent movies? Because of preferences. People are different. Women play games, and men play games. They just play different genres of games. Don't try to act all 'holier than thou' and force niches to cater to everyone, because that is something that cannot be forced.
This is a corker of a post. I almost took issue with your last paragraph because there are an awful lot of games / genres that crossover between genders, but I'm certain that you understand that and I'd just be nitpicking your phrasing.

jschreier

No, I think you should have at least let us know that you'd gotten a longer fleshed out apology from Kamitan instead of "sitting on it for a few days" as you so well put it yourself. Those few days resulted in shit being spewed on the internet. Shit you could have prevented by saying you had gotten a long apology which you were in the process of having translated.

You are misunderstanding.

On Tuesday afternoon, Kamitani apologized to me via Facebook message. We updated the story with his comments. Then, because I wanted more of his side of the story, I sent him questions via e-mail through our guy in Japan. That's what took a few days. We got it yesterday (IIRC), asked Atlus for permission to republish it in its entirety, and finally got the OK this morning.

zoukka

So are the buff guys in games not a female pleasing trait?

I answered to you already two pages ago:

Sure a chiseled man can be a female fantasy.
However most chiseled men in games are designed to please males.
This fact does not change if females happen to like chiseled males.

"Buff" is an empowering trait and I dare say it's mostly aimed at men in this industry.

So are the buff guys in games not a female pleasing trait?

I dunno, looking at comics focused toward females, guys don't look like uber-buff linebackers, but rather, more athletic, flexible, etc. More like a male gymnast or swimmer.

Sometimes they even look very androgynous, going by stuff like Shojo manga.

In Dc, the Wizard looks the closest to female targeted fanservice. Long flowing hair, soft features, etc.

AlexBasch

Yes, but I kinda dislike the "If I'm gonna get the hots for Batman" part. Who is the artist supposed to be to decide what women like and whatnot? Girls like ripped, strong, men and delicate looking guys, among other stuff of course, which is why I think the whole "Team Edward/Jacob" thing was so successful. The characters catered to the liking of some of the audience by the autorship of a woman.

What was the need of showing Thor without a shirt and showing off his mad abs and chiseled body in the movie? To give some eye candy to some of the audience, which at least, I didn't mind, but then again, someone might have felt bothered by that, good thing I don't go for the "Scherier approach" of making a big deal of it if only one person is bothered by something.

Metroidvania

People called Romanes they go the house?

While not a certainty by any means, I'm sure some women would view idealized body types in the same 'power' fantasy that men do with their superhero counterparts, and would see the chiseled males as equally desirable 'sex' fantasies.

Treating her argument as something as indicative of the entire female collective consciousness on comics is what bothers me about it. Not that everyone uses it as such, but is has been presented that way at times.

IMO, another portion of the dissonance of gender readership in comics comes from not having female lead characters with a real sense of uninterrupted agency (i.e. not being rescued constantly, etc.)

While this gender disconnect also exists in games, it does not appear to be (as? not entirely sure on all of the info out) present in Dragon's Crown.

I'm guessing Jason complained about this very thing before? What was the issue?

It's referring to the disconnect between publishing the story/opinion piece on the Sorceress before waiting for a response from Kamitani, while the latter quote is regarding the elf (who is not sexualized in the same way), which was apparently not put up for some time, especially considering how it could be used as a way to show that not all of the characters were designed by a '14' year old boy.

fake edit: But it appears to be something else.

edit2: nvm.

Giolon

On Tuesday afternoon, Kamitani apologized to me via Facebook message. We updated the story with his comments. Then, because I wanted more of his side of the story, I sent him questions via e-mail through our guy in Japan. That's what took a few days. We got it yesterday (IIRC), asked Atlus for permission to republish it in its entirety, and finally got the OK this morning.

I'm still waiting for you to address your drive-by assertion that anybody who likes the designs of the Sorceress are playing into and promoting lolicon fantasy (code-word for pedophilia).

Can you please write in clear terms as what you are asking/implying, if you are even asking me anything concrete. Helps with handling the zillion sarcastic/one-liner/joke posts.

The point is that the male character described in that comic that's been bandied about is indeed present in Dragon's Crown.

Cartman86

Banned
ciridesu said:

As many seem to be praising this post i'll just say it's a bunch of a bullshit.

from a self- identified gaming journalist
And? What do you people fucking expect. He could say you are in the "echo-chamber" of NeoGAF, Reddit or whatever feminist hating corner of the internet. Not only that, but you really think these people don't get opposing views on Twitter? They get it all day long. Let's stick to the arguments.

Salaadin

I love how he says that he is amazed by how many gamers don't see the problems with that gif....like there's something wrong with people who don't share his viewpoint

i-Lo

The writer has done the rightful thing...and jumped on twitter's echo chamber:
Jy1gLtj.jpg

So what is this now? Shaming people who'd like to identify themselves as "gamers"?

Firstly, how and in what context does one "identify" oneself as gamer?

Secondly, why would there be a uniformity in opinion or taste among "gamers"? I mean are they some sub-species where be it right or wrong or purely based on opinion act like the Borg?

People may have lashed out and perhaps part, if not most of it, was crass/crude. However, to paint all the "gamers" as some sort of uncouth sub humans incapable of propriety is flat out repugnant.

This situation is somewhat reminiscent of Arthur Gies' twitter BS when he vilified NeoGAF during the Adam Orth incident. He kept on brushing reasonable counterpoints aside pretending they did not exist. Similar thing is happening right now. Ego, what a fragile thing it is.

Giolon

I think you mean elf.

Nope, he said Sorceress. Give me a moment and I'll link his post.

Edit here we go:

jscreier said:
For reference, let's look at this picture of the sorceress. Other than her proportions, there are a couple of details worth noting. One is that her shirt is trying to escape from her chest. She also has a very childish face that resembles lolicon imagery. I don't think either of those features is beautiful or worth lauding in any way.

[...]

See, I don't think the sorceress's design is problematic because of her large breasts. What's problematic is that the character is explicitly designed to draw our eyes to her large breasts. They're exposed; they're jiggling; they're disproportionate. They're immediately striking. They're part of a lolicon fantasy, drawn to appeal to people who are interested in lolicon fantasies (and people who are interested in large breasts).

So you're saying journalism happened? Fine, I apologize.

So what is this now? Shaming people who'd like to identify themselves as "gamers"?
There's a cause I can get behind. Not if you're a supposed gaming journalist though, that's disgusting.

mckmas8808

I dunno, looking at comics focused toward females, guys don't look like uber-buff linebackers, but rather, more athletic, flexible, etc. More like a male gymnast or swimmer.

Sometimes they even look very androgynous, going by stuff like Shojo manga.

In Dc, the Wizard looks the closest to female targeted fanservice. Long flowing hair, soft features, etc.

While that's true, not every character are buff like the Gears of War guys. Most male characters in games are buff, yet lean and athletic.

I remember people on GAF getting pissed off that some video game characters were getting too big, bulky, and bald. Many starting calling them space marines.

But most males have an athletic build that most women tend to like or at least that's what I see when I walk into stores and see the magazine covers.

But you are assuming that a biased design ecosystem automatically equates into sexism. That's problematic. Due to a whole slew of historical factors comics in the united states ended up being primarily about the super hero genre, the genre that by its nature was targeted at young boys. As the average age of these readers increased over time, and especially with the ability to put sexual themes into comics increased, books that had, for pretty much ever been aimed at boys continued to be written by men. It's not much of a shocker. Now what does happen is that we do get females who get into superhero comics, as readers and writers, but the audience, and the basic concept of these comics has been about wish fulfillment for what, 70 years by now? By the very nature of the beast that is superhero comics, you are going to have less females interested in working in that genre of art.

There is a reason that when young girls started getting into comics en masse it was as a result of comics specifically aimed at them, usually ones that came from Japan. I don't consider those comics to be particularly sexist, the girls in them are all attractive (ugly pretty girls at worst), some very sexual, and the guys are often a set of very common personality traits and usually have at least 2 if not more guys chasing them throughout the series. These books were made for a female audience. But here is the funny thing, a lot of those main character males still have tons of traits that most guys would consider positive, or as part of a fantasy fulfillment. They are attractive, badass, a little rough around the edges, at times intelligent, go getters and the like.

In that same way, female comic book characters have tons of positive qualities that women and girls can latch on to as well. Positive qualities are not mutually exclusive.

Corto

Nice. Tremendous feminist scholarship exists, but be skeptical when simply uttering the words "patriarchy" or "sexism" is in itself prima facie. Somehow the popular understanding of feminist scholarship has compressed all of it, including the lunatic fringe, into one mess.

Oh my god, how true is that! Yesterday it was a national holiday in my country so I had some free time and read some essays about feminism and sexuality. Specifically about pornography, something that to a layman would be uncontroversial to acknowledge as one of the most problematic points of women objectification and sexism, but there is no consensus amidst feminist scholars.

zoukka

So is your solution to force those men to make more comics that aren't focused on men? Or to encourage more females to get into the comic business? Being in the "art industry", I don't see much holding back females from creating their own comicbook lines or getting into existing series.

And a lot of the comic book artists I know are sleazy-horney guys (the more mainstream ones I've met), to force them to be gender equal is kind of silly.

Shit I have a bigender friend that started up her own graphic novel and game based on it.

I'm not claiming to have solutions. If the ecosystem is male dominated, it's harder for women to get into it for sure. I wouldn't force anyone to do anything. Encouraging more women to take part sounds good to me.

From what I saw at art school and in my games development studies, the girls and women seemed to always prefer the tall, skinny, long haired type of males. Or at least those were the ones they drew everyday making out with each other :) I know it supports my point a bit too well, but I can't remember many buff guys being drawn at all.

The point is that the male character described in that comic that's been bandied about is indeed present in Dragon's Crown.

You are not wrong.

Pimpbaa

Hurray, more guys talking about what is best for women. Now we just need some actual women to post their opinions only to be ignored.

I think you mean elf.

For reference, let's look at this picture of the sorceress. Other than her proportions, there are a couple of details worth noting. One is that her shirt is trying to escape from her chest. She also has a very childish face that resembles lolicon imagery. I don't think either of those features is beautiful or worth lauding in any way.

Now let's look at the gif that was posted earlier in this thread. Maybe you think it's reasonable, or beautiful, or aesthetically pleasing when a female character's breasts move like that during combat. I don't. I think it's demeaning and embarrassing.

See, I don't think the sorceress's design is problematic because of her large breasts. What's problematic is that the character is explicitly designed to draw our eyes to her large breasts. They're exposed; they're jiggling; they're disproportionate. They're immediately striking. They're part of a lolicon fantasy, drawn to appeal to people who are interested in lolicon fantasies (and people who are interested in large breasts).
Nope, he's pretty damn explicit that he's talking about the sorceress.

AkuMifune

Banned
So can you just say "No sir, I don't like them?" and be done. There is a ton of justification and reasoning as to why they are harmful and evil in this thread as well, this is of course going to engender a response in the art's defense.

Also, why are the justifications ridiculous, but the attacks aren't?

I'm not trying to take away your game. I'm not trying to kill the franchise or see Mr. Kamitani fired.

Serious question, if the sorceress had been drawn less "exaggerated" how many of you (aside from the obvious ones) would have complained that her boobs weren't big enough? I doubt many. You'd have you game, the article never written and everybody happy. But obviously, somewhere the design took a turn that offends some people. STOP! I see you building up the gears of defense (context, history, inspiration again) a piece of art doesn't always have those luxuries. Sometimes they need to be judged on their own merit. The bottom line is that it does offend some people. You can't backtrack to find some justification for why it shouldn't offend us, you need to start from, ok it does, what can we do?

But you're just going to say you don't have to do anything because you like it. Because you don't realize at the end of the day you're just fighting for a potentially good game for the wrong reasons. The defense of this has gone so far we start to wonder, is this the most important part of the game to you guys? I can't let my 4-year old daughter play this game because more important than the art, combat, story or lore are the boobs?

It's just sad, because I think in the end this style only limits the audience and success of the game, not helps it. That's a different debate though.

Oh my god, how true is that! Yesterday it was a national holiday in my country so I had some free time and read some essays about feminism and sexuality. Specifically about pornography, something that to a layman would be uncontroversial to acknowledge as one of the most problematic points of women objectification and sexism, but there is no consensus amidst feminist scholars.

So you are surprised that people have different views on a controversial subject. Or that others make take issues with the basis upon which one's scholarship is built?

I'm not claiming to have solutions. If the ecosystem is male dominated, it's harder for women to get into it for sure. I wouldn't force anyone to do anything. Encouraging more women to take part sounds good to me.

From what I saw at art school and in my games development studies, the girls and women seemed to always prefer the tall, skinny, long haired type of males. Or at least those were the ones they drew everyday making out with each other :) I know it supports my point a bit too well, but I can't remember many buff guys being drawn at all.

Sure, some do. Perhaps a lot of those going into game development are more likely to be influenced by anime visual tropes and so as a result a lot more of that is coming out in their work. Influence is an interesting beast, what people considered sexy 30 years ago, is not considered so now. Buff was gone for a while, word is it's making a comeback, who knows. I know women who like buff dudes, men of slighter feminine builds, and a whole bunch of different types. Again, people are different.

FartOfWar

Banned

Which is as it should be. It's a discussion among thinking people with plenty of perspectives.

zoukka

But you are assuming that a biased design ecosystem automatically equates into sexism. That's problematic. Due to a whole slew of historical factors comics in the united states ended up being primarily about the super hero genre, the genre that by its nature was targeted at young boys. As the average age of these readers increased over time, and especially with the ability to put sexual themes into comics increased, books that had, for pretty much ever been aimed at boys continued to be written by men. It's not much of a shocker. Now what does happen is that we do get females who get into superhero comics, as readers and writers, but the audience, and the basic concept of these comics has been about wish fulfillment for what, 70 years by now? By the very nature of the beast that is superhero comics, you are going to have less females interested in working in that genre of art.

There is a reason that when young girls started getting into comics en masse it was as a result of comics specifically aimed at them, usually ones that came from Japan. I don't consider those comics to be particularly sexist, the girls in them are all attractive (ugly pretty girls at worst), some very sexual, and the guys are often a set of very common personality traits and usually have at least 2 if not more guys chasing them throughout the series. These books were made for a female audience. But here is the funny thing, a lot of those main character males still have tons of traits that most guys would consider positive, or as part of a fantasy fulfillment. They are attractive, badass, a little rough around the edges, at times intelligent, go getters and the like.

In that same way, female comic book characters have tons of positive qualities that women and girls can latch on to as well. Positive qualities are not mutually exclusive.

I'm not disagreeing with anything particular here. But I still don't believe there's a balance in western comics nor videogames as where this subject goes.

abadguy

Banned
i'm fine with sexy characters when there's a sensible reason for it that fits with the world and her personality

nothing i've seen about this game makes me feel that way about the sorceress. she looks really out of place and there is zero restraint being shown, which if they're going for sexy is a huge turnoff for me and probably a lot of people. completely over the top huge tits in a low-cut dress jiggling everywhere at all times just comes across as juvenile and crass.

Sorry but this is a load of utter bullshit. Nothing about the design even remitely "out of place" compared to other designs in the game. It would be one thing if she looked that way while everyone else looked normal, but thats not the case. Every character male and female in this game is exagerrated in some way. Sorceress design is consistant with the rest of the game.

Girl gamers have been for this and against this. Context is important for and against this, as is history and inspiration. Is it exaggerated as tribute, homage or as meta commentary? We can't agree. All those points have been used for and against in this argument. If you want to make progress in support for this style you need to stop falling back on the ones that make us all roll our collective eyes in annoyment.

Just saying, they're huge! But we like it! would have been fine. Instead the continued and ridiculous justifications are delicious.

Are you are saying the entire discussion, all points given by everyone, including the opinions and backup provided by the parties I would assume most relevant to this discussion (women) is pointless because there could never be a discussion worth having without people rigidly adhering to your personal list of acceptable arguments?

Well, ok, then why are you even here? Do you think you can actually make people who feel this is worthy of an open discussion because - surprise - it may actually affect someone come around to your side by telling them to shut up?

And no, I can't say "They're huge, but we like it". Surely, I've already conceded the design is aimed at a particular demographic, I'm not sure how anyone could argue otherwise. But real women come in all shapes and sizes, and I will not demean real women by knee-jerk calling large breasts ridiculous and offensive without delving into the context at hand.

Also, technically, I don't particularly like them. Breasts don't do much for me, if you really want to be base and frank. I am well aware of how ridiculous the character looks (and especially animates). It's a cartoon character, and I'm not yet convinced she is presented in a way that is harmful, especially considering she is but one unique part of a body of differently represented characters within the same particular work. Maybe I might be convinced otherwise by playing the game, or maybe I will be convinced otherwise by this discussion; that's why I'm here, to read the opinions of others and try to understand well presented details. If that's ok with you.

Top Bottom