• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

George Lucas quips he sold 'Star Wars' to "white slavers," criticizes tone of TFA

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fj0823

The problem is that it is easy to see how established elements could be moved or leveraged for more appeal. It was creating those elements in the first place that took the creative leap. No one would have thought up Darth Maul or Pod Racing or Clone Troopers and what have you if Lucas didn't do it to start with. It is like pulling brussel sprouts out of a prepared gourmet meal and then telling the chef you made the perfect meal.

Ssssshhhh stop making sense.

Though he makes some very good points.

Sinoox

Banned
He made a mistake in handing it over to Disney and he knows it. He wanted his script to live on through the next three films, but it didn't work like that. I would love to see what his ideas for the new movie were and get an idea of what The Force Awakens changed.

Disney is pretty much an entertainment monopoly though. Thanks to George.

He made a mistake in handing it over to Disney and he knows it. He wanted his script to live on through the next three films, but it didn't work like that. I would love to see what his ideas for the new movie were and get an idea of what The Force Awakens changed.

Disney is pretty much an entertainment monopoly though. Thanks to George.

Dark Icky and CG stormtroopers steal Leia and Han's twins to fuel their force powered death solar system. The old gang must get back together in order save the kids, but first they must find Luke's saber.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
Watching his Episode 1 ideas, I don't like the idea of there being any romantic interest between Obi-Won and Padme.

That should have been one of the main story beats of the prequels, it would have given some genuine reasons for Anakin to turn on Obi-Wan. In the end ROTS only flirted with the idea and it became impossible to accept that Anakin would turn the way he did.

Anakin, Padme and Obi-Wan should have been the Luke, Leia and Han of the PT, only this time one of them turns on the others.

ironmang

TFA was an incredible experience, no thanks to Lucas. Glad he had control taken away. He can admire the success from afar.

Well, they did rehash about as much as possible without it being a remake so I wouldn't say he had nothing to do with the success. Going to be interesting to see if they're able to create compelling, unique stories out of the next 4-5 SW movies they're planning to release over the next several years.

iamblades

He is 100% wrong. That is an asinine valuation for a company like Disney buying a franchise (and all of the other parts that come with Lucasfilm) such as Star Wars, and I hope to god you never have to do actual valuation. Heck, Marvel pre Avengers / second-half Marvel Cinematic Universe was 4 billion.

http://www.newsarama.com/24999-disney-s-4-billion-marvel-buy-was-it-worth-it.html

As for Star Wars...

Actually....

they could reasonably have done that

http://www.wired.com/2015/12/disney-star-wars-return-on-investment/

Mind you, this is before the movie came out, and we didn't know if the movie was actually, well, good. 150 million, in a year, in licensing alone.

Marvel at that point already had even greater passive revenues from merchandising and licensing, and a pretty good idea and a reasonable expectation of releasing 2 blockbusters per year for at least the next few years. Lucasfilm is a 1 film per year kind of deal at this stage(and no one has any real idea how the non-saga side stories will perform).

When looking at ROI, a lot of people get revenue and profit confused, and they neglect opportunity costs. You don't just take gross revenue from a property and use that for valuation, and anyone suggesting that Lucasfilm should have been bought for even $10b is terribly fiscally irresponsible.

You have to consider that the funds being used to make these Star Wars movies would have gone into other projects had Disney not bought lucasfilm, and those films would have had some average level of profitability. So to come up with a value of Lucasfilm, you have to take the passive income from licensing and merchandising added to the expected increase in profitability of a potential Star Wars film over whatever the alternative would be, and stretch that over a reasonable length of time that you want to make your money back. Which is something like 10 years or less, not fucking 40 years.

Anyone suggesting that lucasfilm should have had a valuation in the tens of billions does not understand anything about finance really. If someone paid $20 billion for lucasfilm, every Star Wars film for the next decade could make $2 billion in box office and another billion in merchandising revenue(a highly improbable outcome), and the ROI would still be less than they would get if they put that $20 billion in a bond fund.

Like I said, $4 b was probably a slight discount when you factor in Indiana Jones and everything else Lucasfilm owns, but it is not a $10b+ discount, it's a ~$2b discount at most.

Don't forget that half of the 4bn was paid in Disney shares, which performed outstanding the past years. I think his shares should be worth around 4bn now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom