• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Getting an Arcade Stick for the Nintendo Switch

I'm planning to pick up an arcade stick for my Switch. After asking a few streamers for their thoughts on the matter I have narrowed it down:
asp_00001.jpg

The SNK #neogeoarcadestickpro is the top contender (with a Gamlinq adapter)
carousel-01-update.png

I have considered the Razer #pantheraevo (with a Brooks adapter) and I saw Razer's sale, I'm waiting.
1575378386_1521724.jpg

Last, but not least, all of the #hori arcade sticks for the Switch are in last place.

I Wanted to hear what NeoGaf's thoughts are, since I have 0 experience using any of these sticks.

kingbean

I have a hori RAP4 as my primary. I think I liked my madcatz TES2 a little more but due to some poor choices I no longer have it.

kingbean kingbean I did find a Mad Catz Street Fighter V Arcade FightStick TES+ for $120 that I could adapt with a Brooks, but I didn't know if it would be worth getting a Mad Catz since they've gone under.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
Magic NX switch adapter x2

Ps3 MADCATZ FIGHTSTICK TE1 x2

Runs like a charm and supports switch pc ps3 and ps4. (And xbox one x with some dumbass remote play )

JTCx

-Hori sticks are great for the price. They use their own brand of buttons and stick but they work fine out of the box. If anything you can switch out the pushbuttons for sanwa parts later in the future.

-Razer Pantera is a bit iffy, their build quailty is nice but the insides like the PCB are all over the place. You can also sometimes get variable input lag.

-skip the neo geo pro

However these are my opinions as a fighting game player.

PS3 Mad Catz SF4 Tournament is pretty good. A used one can still be had on the cheap if you are patient and they are easy to replace parts if the stick and/or buttons are janked up.

You can get controller adapter from Brook and it’s fantastic. I rather use the TE1 over the TE2 for switch play. I don’t know why... but I do.

Optical Stick + Silent buttons + various mods = Pure Bliss. Especially playing against someone local. You can hear their buttons and stick, but you can't hear mine! Silent half circle command grab for that ass!

Kagoshima_Luke

Gold Member
Kagoshima_Luke Kagoshima_Luke Do you relate to any points in this video?:

He seems overly dismissive of it, which I suppose makes sense considering he has an armada of fight sticks to choose from. I didn't buy it because it was the best; I got it for a solid, affordable stick to play arcade ports on Switch. I find it's comfortable, the buttons are snappy and the stick registers accurate inputs. That's pretty much all I was asking for. I would say that if you are planning on learning a fight stick primarily for fighting games, it would be better to get a full-sized stick, which will run upwards of $200. But for games like Strikers 1945, SNK 40th Anniversary games, etc, this mini stick is perfect.

JTCx

JTCx JTCx Why skip the NeoGeo? Is it the adapter issues?
It all depends on what your goal is with the stick. Neo geo isnt bad per se, if youre looking for something beginner casual friendly its fine. The problem is that the stick and buttons are generic quality and not easily moddable. The adapter is a mixed bag. There's reports of the adapter can sometimes just stop working out of nowhere. Also the stick is pretty ugly.

The hori one is specifically wired for the switch and pc with xinput you wont have any problems with it. They use their own hayabusa stick/buttons which are a great quality thats very close to the quality to sanwa or seimitsu. You can easily switch out parts if you want especially the buttons. I own 2 hori sticks as well as some others and theyre still working great.

Last edited:

Tarin02543

The fighting mini is my first and only stick. I'm very happy with it, it allows me to play my cave collection on steam.

As a successor I'm looking for a stick with the same mini dimensions but with state of the art stick gates and buttons. I'd be willing to pay 350 euro for it.

Old Retro

I built my own fightstick with all "American style" parts and layout. I also have a Rap4 I was given, I hate the slanted buttons layout. I still swapped out the buttons and stick for Sanwa parts. That being said, I like the Hori fight stick mini controller posted or the Neo Geo.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
I enjoy my Hori RAP V, but the only real downside is how spread out the buttons are. There was this one controller that I *really* enjoyed, but it didn't last very long. IIRC, it was the MKX Fight Pad?

051-022-PDP-MKX-Fight-Pad-for-PS4-and-PS3-angle4.jpg

Wasn't quite like this, but very similar in design. Sadly its design and buttons rubbed off quickly - but I adored how close they were and how little I had to travel to press them. Are there any fight stick that have the same heft/weight of the Hori RAP V, but closer/smaller buttons with less travel distance?

D.Final

Banned
I enjoy my Hori RAP V, but the only real downside is how spread out the buttons are. There was this one controller that I *really* enjoyed, but it didn't last very long. IIRC, it was the MKX Fight Pad?

051-022-PDP-MKX-Fight-Pad-for-PS4-and-PS3-angle4.jpg

Wasn't quite like this, but very similar in design. Sadly its design and buttons rubbed off quickly - but I adored how close they were and how little I had to travel to press them. Are there any fight stick that have the same heft/weight of the Hori RAP V, but closer/smaller buttons with less travel distance?

Amazing arcade pad

Top Bottom