• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ghost Recon Wildlands Closed Beta Discussion Thread

Finished the beta.

This might be the most boring open world I've ever experienced. I only really liked doing some of the missions... absolutely hated traveling from point A to point B.

This is definitely not a game I'll be picking up until it is heavily discounted... and there's nothing else to play.

Absolutely disagree about the Open World. I love driving it. I love driving the trails and such. It's a great map to traverse in my opinion.

Not sure what you find in RDR, of all games, that is more engaging than GR about riding around.
I think if there was ever a game to prop up the point of how "tedious" going from A to B is in an open world game, RDR could be right there at the forefront, especially since the fast travel is so laborious, yet horses feel like machines, rather than living things (compared to say, Agro in SotC)
For one, it's a Western game, so traveling the open plans and wilderness is part of the appeal, and a core part of the game. It's part of the Wild West fantasy
Two, the world was lively and well spaced out. Seeing a town on the horizon, seeing a pack of wolves roaming, encounter other travelers or cowboys around the campfire.
If anything, RDR is one of the gold standards for how to do an open world that's enjoyable to explore and travel across IMO

Witcher 3 is another.

JCtheMC

Can someone please let me in to the taskforce? i need people to play with on PS4 who are somewhat communicative.

v1lla21

I don't agree with the complaints on vehicles, primarly cars. They are a bit janky but they handle fine wish I could say the same for helicopters but they aren't that bad either. If they fix some of the jank, they'd control great. The gunplay is uninspired but it works and isn't anything bad, messing with the sensitivity and other options got it working fine for me. As I said before, while the world doesn't have much going on, it's still really fun to travel around and goof off with buddies. Hopefully they do add more stuff at release or polish the game up a bit and it's definitely a buy from me. Graphics are great idk what yall are complaining about.

Tecnniqe

Banned
Can someone please let me in to the taskforce? i need people to play with on PS4 who are somewhat communicative.

Did you apply? I do not see you in the application list.

Edit: I went ahead and sent you an Invitation to join, find it on GRN website.

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
Redders and I played through all the story missions yesterday, it was enjoyable but I am unsure if full price worthy. Especially with all that is coming out around the release date.

Witcher 3 is another.

RPGs are the best games for open worlds in general, because you often have a reason to explore and discover things. There's always the potential reward of finding loot and items with better stats when going into a random cave or dungeon that you just stumbled upon. Not to mention sidequests that are often more interesting than the main plot. That's why I rarely fast travel in those types of games. Even when you're just on foot (like in Skyrim\Fallout). And mosters are always way more interesting to fight than humans with guns.

If this game had an interesting story or interesting characters, I might be able to tolerate it. But it's just so... bland. The dialog is bland. The story is bland. I only really like the stealth\shooting aspect. I hate literally everything else about it. The open world also means that eventually I'll be thinking "...oh, another random village with guys to snipe 1 by 1, or another helicopter to steal and fly to X location."

The beta told me everything I need to know. This game's just not for me. BUT... I do have the urge to finally play MGS5 and see what that's all about. And I'm definitely looking forward to RDR2.

JCtheMC

Did you apply? I do not see you in the application list.

Edit: I went ahead and sent you an Invitation to join, find it on GRN website.

No invitation found.. haha this is going well.

I tried to "Request To Join" again, and i couldn't because i "already sent a request to join this taskforce"

edit: sent you a friend request too.

v1lla21

Redders and I played through all the story missions yesterday, it was enjoyable but I am unsure if full price worthy. Especially with all that is coming out around the release date.
Yeah that's the biggest problem imo. I did all the side missions as well with net_wrecker. only needed to get all the skill points and accessory chests.
I feel like going through it at a higher difficulty

Tecnniqe

Banned
No invitation found.. haha this is going well.

I tried to "Request To Join" again, and i couldn't because i "already sent a request to join this taskforce"

edit: sent you a friend request too.

I accepted the FR and I revoked the Task Force invitation I sent, in case that interferes with your application. However I still see no application.

Except there's 100 times more activity in this map than there is in Phantom Pain.

That doesn't really mean anything.

Yeah, there's a lot more crap scattered around the map, but I don't think any of that helps make it a living breathing world. If anything, this is one of the least interesting open world games I've played in awhile. The core of the game feels bad and navigating around is a major pain in the ass.

Artdayne

my main issue with this game is it's just too easy. There's no real threat of dying, kinda reminds me of Assassins Creed in that way. I think the co-op could be really fun if the game was more challenging.

It would work better out for Ubisoft to delay this game for 3 or 4 months to fix some of the major problems than to have this come out than die off a few weeks later.

Good god, i had to uninstall this game out of frustration. I've been looking forward to this game since reveal but i couldn't find anything really worthy of appriciation here. I guess the shooting felt alright. Maybe i'll reinstall it later tonight, but since i can't even keep consistent framerate with a 1070/i76700k at low-medium settings, i'm probably out.

Damn good draw distance though, and the world looks nice.

UrbanRats

For one, it's a Western game, so traveling the open plans and wilderness is part of the appeal, and a core part of the game. It's part of the Wild West fantasy
Two, the world was lively and well spaced out. Seeing a town on the horizon, seeing a pack of wolves roaming, encounter other travelers or cowboys around the campfire.
If anything, RDR is one of the gold standards for how to do an open world that's enjoyable to explore and travel across IMO

Witcher 3 is another.

See i disagree with both statements.

Ghost Recon's idea of "dropped behind enemy lines" is, as i said, sold much more by the fact that the world is one and interconnected, instead of separate spots on a map, so it is seeling me the idea ( i guess like trotting around is selling you on the western fantasy).

Second, i don't think things are spaced out well at all in RDR.
Everything is cramped together, you can't walk too steps without hearing a gunshot, be attacked by a puma, or see someone run around in a horse.. so much for the "lost in the wild" feeling.
It suffers so much from the "mini-golf" thing i mentioned earlier, but that's true for all R* games, and their obsession for cramming everything with content (a problem GR also shares, though less heavy, due to how more spaced out things are).

when i walked around in RDR; as cool looking as it was, i didn't feel like i was in a world, but like in a WestWorld sort of park, where every corner i turned, 2omesthing was to catch my eye, lest my ADHD had my shut it down in boredom.
Unfortunately all open world designers out there seem to take R*'s design as gospel, replicating all their trappings verbatim.
Incidentally, as much as i love R*, i don't think many of their design choices are all that elegant in the end, despite pushing the envelope on a technical level, and having an obsession of detail that does give their worlds an extra edge, when it comes to being lively.

Witcher is a different beast, it's also filled with stuff, some great, some crap, but the map aims to represent a much smaller and contained area, and so it doesn't feel as a theme park, and things are allowed to transition more naturally into one another.

Ghost Recon here, isn't a masterclass in world design at all, but i think it falls between the two when it comes to map design.

I'm loving it. Played for about 6 hours yesterday with a few friends and had a blast. Definite buy from me. It's like a mix of an Arcade Arma with Far Cry. Not exactly like the Ghost Recons of old but a lot of fun. Overlooking an enemy base watching your buddy sneak through while I'm taking guys out from 611m away is bad ass.

Woo-Fu

Banned
my main issue with this game is it's just too easy. There's no real threat of dying, kinda reminds me of Assassins Creed in that way. I think the co-op could be really fun if the game was more challenging.

Turn the difficulty all the way up, if you didn't.

Realize you're playing in a 1-star difficulty level to begin with and that the scale goes up to 5.

Raptor

How?

In Veteran I die a lot.

Simo

Played for about 9 hours last night non-stop with friends and had an absolute blast. So much fun, controls and shooting felt good and the open world is beautiful. That draw distance with the sunsets and sunrises...wow.

That said the vehicle handling with the camera is junk and having a firefight with the cartel at say, a checkpoint, that draws the attention of more only apparently are from a side mission area and then you're interrupted with a side mission fail and loading screen when you weren't even doing or taking part in is fucking stupid. lol

Despite that and a few bugs I am greatly enjoying the beta and now convinced to check it out on day one.

Spat_triate

I find driving around and traveling in RDR, GTA V, Watch Dogs 2 all very enjoyable. Even in Arma, travel feels necessary and as much of an aspect of planning and preparation as the actual execution of a mission

Doing the same here just feels like a chore. It doesn't seem to dovetail well with the design or tactical gameplay. When I do an objective and see the next one is 2.2KM away, I dont think about how cool it is that I can plan my approach, but how frustrating it is that I got to drive, fly, etc. over there to continue the mission.

It doesn't help that the driving and flying feel woefully undercooked. Something that takes up probably 40-50 percent of your time should be fun. Here, it feels like they didn't treat it like a crucial element of the overall game.

Woo-Fu

Banned
It doesn't help that the driving and flying feel woefully undercooked. Something that takes up probably 40-50 percent of your time should be fun. Here, it feels like they didn't treat it like a crucial element of the overall game.

The flight model in particular is really bad. It simply doesn't make any sense, at least not the way it works with helicopters.

I don't know why they felt the need to reinvent the wheel, particularly when they ended up making a rectangular wheel.

Normally I would spend hours just fooling around in helicopters seeing where I could fly, how fast I could go, how low/fast at the same time, stunt runs, etc., but it just doesn't work in this game. You have to fight the flight model to go where you want to the point where the helicopter is actually slower than a ground vehicle unless you're covering a lot of vertical/rocky terrain.

Now I'm not saying Battlefield does helicopters perfectly but they've got a system that gets the job done without jabbing sharp sticks in the eyes of the players, maybe Ubisoft devs should check it out.

comrade

I don't mind the cars too much but the helicopter controls are total dog shit. Honestly it's my only complaint right now. I was looking forward to piloting a squad around but it's the most boring flight controls they could have done.

UrbanRats

It doesn't help. Been playing on Ghost difficulty, AI is dumb as shit.

Ai stays dumb, but at Ghost you die in a couple of hits, certainly not "easy".
As i said, if when reinforcements come you're not in a good position, it's basically a death sentence.

UrbanRats

It can't be worse than flying in GTA. One of my absolute favorite series, but the flying controls are just the worst.

Wut? GTA is the golden standards of (arcade-y) helis.
Now planes are shitty, but that's true for most games.

Helis in GR are bad, i agree with that, cars and bikes i like tho.

Tecnniqe

Banned
It can't be worse than flying in GTA. One of my absolute favorite series, but the flying controls are just the worst.

Well for keyboard I think this is better, easier, once you "get the hang of it" but on a controller GTA is far superior and as someone who play GTA with both M/KB and a Elite at the same time (walking/shooting with M/KB, driving/flying Elite) as I can't figure it out properly.

Vehicles seem like a bad thing overall, but cars I call serviceable for their purpose, helicopters too once you kinda know how to get them going, but they are still very iffy at points.

Lots of improvements to be had, but I'll enjoy it regardless I think, with a couple people.

Also I hope PvP gets patched in rather quick to keep me going after the story and all :)

v1lla21

Yeah helicopter is pretty bad. If anyone wants to team up and mess around I'll be on in like 30 minutes.
Game was meant for coop so that's where the fun is to be had.

Skyzard

Banned
I wish they gave us a more up to date beta, considering the release is so close. The bugs are getting to me a bit - hard crashes, random you died screens, mission-sensitive ai not following you causing a restart.

I enjoy the game, I do find it easy, but it's fun with even just one person. Not sure for how long but the beta definitely has me interested in the game. But I don't think it will be day 1 for me.

Also you should really be able to pull out a handgun on a motorbike. And no wheelie? Come on...

Tovarisc

Siege. Siege is incredibly better than the alpha/beta.

Agreed. Almost laughably so.

Didn't its beta represent final product accurately aka not-that-hot and it's where it's today because of very active patching from devs? Granted basing this on what friend told me as he has played Siege since release, it dabbled some not that long time ago.

Edit:
I wish they gave us a more up to date beta, considering the release is so close. The bugs are getting to me a bit - hard crashes, random you died screens, mission-sensitive ai not following you causing a restart.

I enjoy the game, I do find it easy, but it's fun with even just one person. Not sure for how long but the beta definitely has me interested in the game. But I don't think it will be day 1 for me.

Also you should really be able to pull out a handgun on a motorbike.

Because of console certing this build most likely is at least 1 month old.

hydruxo

I was set on getting this before the beta, but now that I've played a bit I just don't think I want to put down $60 for this. I'll echo the sentiments I saw in the Easy Allies preview, where Brandon Jones said that the world almost feels like you're playing on Google Maps. The terrain is very detailed and realistic looking, and I definitely applaud them for that. It really feels like Bolivia. The gunplay is pretty good, I enjoyed that too and I had some fun with it all but I just feel like it's going to get old fast.

There doesn't seem to be any kind of endgame or anything since it's Ghost Recon, and not so much a loot game, so I'm wondering what kind of replay value there will be. I know it's a different type of game than Division, but I feel like having had my fill of Division left me not really feeling Wildlands, if that makes sense? I think this game is something I might pick up on sale later on down the road, there's certainly fun to be had but not enough for me to get it day 1.

KaYotiX

Banned
Absolutely disagree about the Open World. I love driving it. I love driving the trails and such. It's a great map to traverse in my opinion.

Hop in a helicopter and go :)

Have your buds parachute out....game is pretty enjoyable so far. Needs more optimization though.

Kind of feels like a sequel to the Division (particularly the laggy controls) set in Just Cause's open world. Minus the a lot of the fun.

Oddly the most fun I've had is actually approaching bases, getting to a vantage point, tagging enemies, and planning the assault. Once you actually begin the assault/infiltration things kind of fall apart.

Also at one point my team go our "wanted level" up so much that we were being attacked by constant waves of four apache choppers.

Tovarisc

Kind of feels like a sequel to the Division (particularly the laggy controls) set in Just Cause's open world. Minus the a lot of the fun.

Oddly the most fun I've had is actually approaching bases, getting to a vantage point, tagging enemies, and planning the assault. Once you actually begin the assault/infiltration things kind of fall apart.

Also at one point my team go our "wanted level" up so much that we were being attacked by constant waves of four apache choppers.

Why they fall apart?

Also what did you expect from attacking government forces? Flowers? :D imo it's cool that there is "wanted level check" in game and your recon unit will be pummeled into dust if you go too bananas.

Tecnniqe

Banned
Why they fall apart?

Also what did you expect from attacking government forces? Flowers? :D imo it's cool that there is "wanted level check" in game and your recon unit will be pummeled into dust if you go too bananas.

I went bananas and can confirm government shut me the fuck down with cobra's rocket pods.

Wow party AI is brain dead isn't it.

Wow you can actually just hop on a bike and ride down the side of the hills withiut falling off. Then ride back up said hills.

Top Bottom