• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ghost Recon Wildlands Closed Beta Discussion Thread

RedSwirl

Questions:

--What's the level of variation between outdoor and indoor environments?

--What's the level of variation between mission types?

--Does a human player have to drive all vehicles?

--How much "Ubisoftism" is there in the game really?

Not sure if this was already posted but to help improve PC performance, set the in game frame limit to 60fps and turn off vsync. Fixed my frame pacing and wild fluctuations.

Noted.

On a side note, watching a stream of the ps4 beta, the draw distance is amazing D:

Tecnniqe

Banned
Questions:

--What's the level of variation between outdoor and indoor environments?

--What's the level of variation between mission types?

--Does a human player have to drive all vehicles?

--How much "Ubisoftism" is there in the game really?

1) Outdoor and indoor looks different enough to me and have their unique feel, not sure what you're asking for here specifically.

2) In the beta;
First mission - You release a torture hostage
Second mission - You aid the rebellion in spreading propaganda
Third mission - You rescue a moderately guarded prisoner
Fourth mission - You jack a sports car to gather intel
and bloody condoms
Fifth mission - You infiltrate a military FOB to interrogate a high value target
Sixth mission - You assassinate two high value targets

Thing is, you can tackle these in whatever way you want. Stealth? Guns blazing? Mix? Land and air attack? One guy aggro and others flank? Like there are so many ways to do each mission, you are the only limitation for the most part.

3) Does seem that way

4) Ubisoftism? You on about collecting? There are a some collecting but its mostly objective based but on the map it clearly tells you what it is before you even go after it.

It's more fun to try to break the game with friends than play it seriously. I think it should get a delay to clean it up visually.

Very bland game with so-so visuals (played on ps4 pro), lots of jank.

Zero multiplayer.

Think i'll pass thanks, glad i got to play the beta, saved me £54.99

Ont

I am really liking the game so far. A lot of good stuff here. It should definitely be played on the highest difficulty level.

Playing with randoms is bit annoying though, if anyone wants to team up on Xbox One in Europe my GT is Ont9.

Finished the beta.

This might be the most boring open world I've ever experienced. I only really liked doing some of the missions... absolutely hated traveling from point A to point B.

This is definitely not a game I'll be picking up until it is heavily discounted... and there's nothing else to play.

Daffy Duck

Very quick first initial response is:

So this is what happens when FarCry, The Division and Watch Dogs have a baby.

0racle

Finished the beta.

This might be the most boring open world I've ever experienced. I only really liked doing some of the missions... absolutely hated traveling from point A to point B.

This is definitely not a game I'll be picking up until it is heavily discounted... and there's nothing else to play.

This sums up my feelings as well.

Finished the beta.

Funny, how with all the comparisions to MGSV, it suffers from the same issue of Ground Zero-style large maps being preferably to a massive open world.

SJRB

Gold Member
Funny, how with all the comparisions to MGSV, it suffers from the same issue of Ground Zero-style large maps being preferably to a massive open world.

Except there's 100 times more activity in this map than there is in Phantom Pain.

I'm not sure what people are expecting when playing this game. I mean, do you expect clowns alongside the road entertaining you or something? It's an open world. Cars drive around, people walk along the roads. Helicopters and airplanes fly over. Enemy patrols everywhere. What more were you expecting, really?

ironcreed

Banned
Except there's 100 times more activity in this map than there is in Phantom Pain.

I'm not sure what people are expecting when playing this game. I mean, do you expect clowns alongside the road entertaining you or something? It's an open world. Cars drive around, people walk along the roads. Helicopters and airplanes fly over. Enemy patrols everywhere. What more were you expecting, really?

Sounds about like what I am expecting. The game looks great.

RS4-

Well this is pretty shit. Custom resolutions don't stick in both the xml and ini file; always reverts back to 2160p lol

Raptor

This game has nailed the sense of how it is in the rural zones of some towns up here in Mexico, some pedestrians here and there and thats it, it would have been ridiculous to have lots of NPCs around because it aint a park or a city at all, this is the wild, there is no much people in el monte.

Also nailed the gunplay, even tho it still needs a patch or two to improve the aiming and general crossair mobility, feels really clunky at the moment, maybe upping the sensitivity or the sticks and messing around with the deadzone to find a good spot could be found I dont know.

I cant stress enough the good bullet hitting feedback sound (similar to CoD games) with sprays of blood, way better that games that are similar to this.

But I have to say in the normal difficulty I die way too quickly and I dont know why, they put me down almost instantly.

Will try more but I will say if they put up a couple of patches addressing some performance issues and stuff this could be a great coop game.

UrbanRats

All viechles control like crap, remind me of GTA 4 cars. And that helicopter lol

GTA4 vehicles were great, man

This was true in MGSV perhaps, but not in this game, since the vehicles are such a large part of the gameplay (contrary to MGSV).
You can't use an helicopter or a plane in a tiny ass map like GZ.

Sure it adds flavor and liveliness, but it makes missions tedious. Often, less is more

NewDust

Not really sure why people are connecting it so strongly with MGS... It's a biggee Far Cry first and foremost, without the wildlife, but with expanded coop capabilities.

Dubz

Quick PC performance question. I'm running a 1070, i7 4770k, and 8GB RAM. I have a Gsync 144hz monitor. I'm getting stuttering and I'm crashing due to running out of memory. Is anyone else's having either of these issues? I know 8GB isn't ideal, but I don't get memory crashes on any other games.

Hagi

This was true in MGSV perhaps, but not in this game, since the vehicles are such a large part of the gameplay (contrary to MGSV).
You can't use an helicopter or a plane in a tiny ass map like GZ.

Doesn't really matter that there are more vehicles to get to point A or B when you aren't enjoying the journey, I think the criticism applies just the same for me at least.

The games pretty much what I expected it to be. Might be more fun with a group but as a single player experience can't say it interests me at all.

abbyabs

Nothing like MGS V at least MGSV have good gameplay/mechanics the missions where actually fun to play...

Ubisoft should delete the name "Tom Clancys Ghost Recon" and release it as a new IP called "Wildlands" is does not play/feel like a Ghost Recon game.

Leedogg

Ok how exactly am I suppose to redeem an invite from a friend? I got the first invite, clicked on accept the invite. Logged in, but I don't see a code anywhere. I read that I'm suppose to get a second email now. But it's been over twenty minutes and haven't received anything. Any ideas?

UrbanRats

Doesn't really matter that there are more vehicles to get to point A or B when you aren't enjoying the journey, I think the criticism applies just the same for me at least.

The games pretty much what I expected it to be. Might be more fun with a group but as a single player experience can't say it interests me at all.

The vehicles are to be used in missions and operations, including chasing down the enemy, in some of these missions, not just to go from A to B.

People that don't like open world formula will continue to not like it, but it has design merit, just not for you.

tootie923

Normally with open world user friendly travel is prioritized. I don't feel like that is the case with this beta. It always seem like a hassle for me to go to point B.

The vehicles are to be used in missions and operations, including chasing down the enemy, in some of these missions, not just to go from A to B.

People that don't like open world formula will continue to not like it, but it has design merit, just not for you.
It has nothing to do with not liking the open world formula. Regardless of design merit and how much I enjoy open worlds, it still feels like a flaw, and a boring tedious aspect of the game.

A game like this, I think suffers from open world design. Because you need to make mission locations that make sense as places in the world, rather than being solely designed as tactical challenges.

Quick PC performance question. I'm running a 1070, i7 4770k, and 8GB RAM. I have a Gsync 144hz monitor. I'm getting stuttering and I'm crashing due to running out of memory. Is anyone else's having either of these issues? I know 8GB isn't ideal, but I don't get memory crashes on any other games.

Try and allocate a some more Virtual Memory.

For Windows 10 you can search windows for "Advanced System Settings" and then Performance > Advanced for the Virtual Memory setting, and set it to system managed.

You may need to restart your PC after this.

Alternatively:

Control Panel > System and Security > System > Advanced System settings and then the Performance section under the Advanced Tab. You should then see another Advanced tab and the virtual memory settings, then set it to system managed, you may need to restart your PC after this.

NewDust

Normally with open world user friendly travel is prioritized. I don't feel like that is the case with this beta. It always seem like a hassle for me to go to point B.

I didn't think wildlands was really that bad. Okay I can see it getting stale with the bigger map, but for now, the quick travel is quite decent, and most mocations have heli's. To me it seems the game will take a 'complete province by province' approach. If so I think current travrl is servicable. Perhaps it could do with some random events to liven up the travel.

Raptor

Nothing like MGS V at least MGSV have good gameplay/mechanics the missions where actually fun to play...

Ubisoft should delete the name "Tom Clancys Ghost Recon" and release it as a new IP called "Wildlands" is does not play/feel like a Ghost Recon game.

This game has better killing feedback than MGS5 so there is that.

Mechanics tho and aiming and feel before shooting I agree.

Hagi

I don't think it has anything to do with me not liking open world formula in general, just this games implementation of it.

It has nothing to do with not liking the open world formula. Regardless of design merit and how much I enjoy open worlds, it still feels like a flaw, and a boring tedious aspect of the game.

A game like this, I think suffers from open world design. Because you need to make mission locations that make sense as places in the world, rather than being solely designed as tactical challenges.

This is how I feel basically. It's cool that the open world is so large but I don't care for how you travel through it and what you are actually travelling too seems so small.

VAD

I liked the parts that are MGSV-like (for example infiltrating the FOB), scouting with the drone is fun.
Driving and piloting vehicles is not fun at all.
Gunplay is pleasant.
I wish they did a succession of big open maps instead of this open world.

Im kinda tired of South American bad guys in Clancy games(especially after Call of Duty Ghosts then did it).
and the setting is just kinda bland especially when the last big game of this nature was Mercenaries 2 which was very similar setting but that actually had more urban areas than we have seen from Ghost Recon.

Georgia from GR1 and Korea from GR2 would be far more exciting.

UrbanRats

I don't see how you could marry that aspect of the game i mentioned, with tight little maps as you have in Ground Zeroes.
Despite, btw, thinking that Ground Zeroes wasn't really all that masterclass in level design, in comparison to what was in MGSV, but that's beyond the point.

The problem of traveling from A to B can be alleviated easily by fast travelling and calling a drop for a vehicle.
But you can't really get around a map too small to use vehicles in, which is a fundamental part of what makes this game distinct from others in the same genre.

With small maps and without the heavy focus on vehicles, this would just be the bootleg version of MGSV.

So yes, it absolutely comes down to whether or not that element (vehicles, and its approach to open world) is for you or not.

Personally i don't find it all that tedious to drive around, because it gives me a stronger sense of place, and sells me on the "behind enemy lines" idea much more strongly, than it would be selecting locations from a screen.
And for once we didn't get that stupid "minigolf" design to a world that you see in most open world, too (Skyrim, GTA and all those).

I don't think it has anything to do with me not liking open world formula in general, just this games implementation of it.

Not sure what you expect them to do to make you "enjoy the journey", in a realistic(ish) military game.

Can you give me an example of an open world set in a realistic environment (so not a super hero game) that does traversal right, in your opinion?

I liked the parts that are MGSV-like (for example infiltrating the FOB), scouting with the drone is fun.
Driving and piloting vehicles is not fun at all.
Gunplay is pleasant.
I wish they did a succession of big open maps instead of this open world.
This is how i feel. I love alot of the stealth stuff but the vehicles feel wasted in this game. If this just 1 of 20 areas i can only imagine how tedious or the same the missions will get for each area. Coop for sure has been a blast though so i hope they do add a really great pvp component or itll just be another game people can hold off on til a price drop.

DrBo42

Didn't find the map size to be a problem but the ground vehicle handling outside of bikes isn't very fun. Bigger problem is that it has the worst chopper control implementation I've seen in modern gaming. Made chasing down convoys feel like a frustrating chore rather than a cool air assault. But that tends to be the common theme here: clunky gameplay/controls with a lack of polish holding the game back. That and of course the stitching together of multiple properties with no real focus but I've said that 10x now.

I don't see how you could marry that aspect of the game i mentioned, with tight little maps as you have in Ground Zeroes.
Despite, btw, thinking that Ground Zeroes wasn't really all that masterclass in level design, in comparison to what was in MGSV, but that's beyond the point.

The problem of traveling from A to B can be alleviated easily by fast travelling and calling a drop for a vehicle.
But you can't really get around a map too small to use vehicles in, which is a fundamental part of what makes this game distinct from others in the same genre.

With small maps and without the heavy focus on vehicles, this would just be the bootleg version of MGSV.

So yes, it absolutely comes down to whether or not that element (vehicles, and its approach to open world) is for you or not.

Personally i don't find it all that tedious to drive around, because it gives me a stronger sense of place, and sells me on the "behind enemy lines" idea much more strongly, than it would be selecting locations from a screen.
And for once we didn't get that stupid "minigolf" design to a world that you see in most open world, too (Skyrim, GTA and all those).

Not sure what you expect them to do to make you "enjoy the journey", in a realistic(ish) military game.

Can you give me an example of an open world set in a realistic environment (so not a super hero game) that does traversal right, in your opinion?
I find driving around and traveling in RDR, GTA V, Watch Dogs 2 all very enjoyable. Even in Arma, travel feels necessary and as much of an aspect of planning and preparation as the actual execution of a mission

Doing the same here just feels like a chore. It doesn't seem to dovetail well with the design or tactical gameplay. When I do an objective and see the next one is 2.2KM away, I dont think about how cool it is that I can plan my approach, but how frustrating it is that I got to drive, fly, etc. over there to continue the mission.

Tecnniqe

Banned
Driving fast in a sharp turn feels so good, the rest is meh on the driving scale, but they nailed the sharp turn weight imo.

NewDust

Driving fast in a sharp turn feels so good, the rest is meh on the driving scale, but they nailed the sharp turn weight imo.

Thing I like most is the difference between vehicles. A simple sedan controls like shit compared to a Jeep, as it ought to be. But handling overall definitly can use a bit of attention.

I don't feel like random multiplayer is gonna cut it for me in this game, I don't mind playing with randoms in a lot of games, heck I play with randoms in most.
But in this games it just feels too random, there's too much freedom to do whatever you want, but everyone wants to play a different way, so eventually it just becomes "follow the leader" kind of thing.

Sp was fun though, I like both stealth and loud approaches. In one of my mp sessions, my teammates went in guns blazing, but they got pinned down, I wasn't spotted yet so I flanked a sniper tower and silently killed him.
I could've kept flanking enemies since I was still in stealth, or use the sniper and just provide loud as fuck cover fire.
I feel like these are the only situations in which mp with randoms is fun.

I'm sure mp with friends will be great though.

UrbanRats

I find driving around and traveling in RDR, GTA V, Watch Dogs 2 all very enjoyable. Even in Arma, travel feels necessary and as much of an aspect of planning and preparation as the actual execution of a mission

Doing the same here just feels like a chore. It doesn't seem to dovetail well with the design or tactical gameplay. When I do an objective and see the next one is 2.2KM away, I dont think about how cool it is that I can plan my approach, but how frustrating it is that I got to drive, fly, etc. over there to continue the mission.

Not sure what you find in RDR, of all games, that is more engaging than GR about riding around.
I think if there was ever a game to prop up the point of how "tedious" going from A to B is in an open world game, RDR could be right there at the forefront, especially since the fast travel is so laborious, yet horses feel like machines, rather than living things (compared to say, Agro in SotC).

But again, it's something that a light form of fast travel can easily fix (if it's between missions).
Besides there were definitely a couple of missions that (again, playing on ghost, i don't know about other difficulties) felt almost impossible, but could become very doable with more prep time, which includes getting a better hold of the vehicles the game has to offer.

deoee

Game is okay.

Not worth full price imo but it has some nice things going for it.

It just doesn't play really fun imo.

Top Bottom