• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ghost Recon Wildlands Closed Beta Discussion Thread

Unity2012

I can definitely see how with a little bit more optimization, tightening the controls; the game could be really good.
I'm enjoying playing solo which I didn't think was going to be possible since the game was basically created with the idea of Co-op as first choice. I take it as a, gta meets ghost recon meets farcry, game experience. Not too serious but still engaging.

The good thing for me after playing solo, as an added bonus, is that I'm sure with friends it will also be a blast.

Gator86

Played this for about an hour last night. It looks pretty, but there's nothing redeeming about this game and I love Ubisoft the game and open world titles like MGS5. Their giant map just means more busywork traveling around. Not sure this is even a rental now.

Tecnniqe

Banned
I can definitely see how with a little bit more optimization, tightening the controls; the game could be really good.
I'm enjoying playing solo which I didn't think was going to be possible since the game was basically created with the idea of Co-op as first choice. I take it as a, gta meets ghost recon meets farcry, game experience. Not too serious but still engaging.

The good thing for me after playing solo, as an added bonus, is that I'm sure with friends it will also be a blast.

Its defiantly more fun with friends as it allows you to do all sorts of things in different ways :)

I find the helicopter flight model rather enjoyable, myself. The key is to understand that it works like a harrier jet, in that there are 2 "modes" the helicopter can be in.

There's the slow moving "hover mode" you start in when taking off, and then there's "jet mode". To enter "jet mode" you just hold forward and the "throttle up" button for about 5 seconds. After those 5 seconds the helicopter will pitch down sharply and gain a big boost in forward momentum. It is now in "jet mode" so you should let go of the forward button. As long as you keep holding down "throttle up" you will remain in "jet mode" and fly straight (and level) at full speed forever. Pushing direction keys while in jet mode will make you ascend/descend/turn while maintaining full speed. Letting go of the "throttle up" button (or pushing the "throttle down" button) will immediately return you to "hover mode" and you'll need to do the forward + throttle up routine for 5 seconds all over again if you want to go back to jet mode.

I suspect one of the problems a lot of people are having is that they continue holding down the forward button after the helicopter enters "jet mode", and thus they start diving toward the ground rather fast, seemingly out of nowhere. Another is that they let go of "throttle up" (or push "throttle down" in order to descend) while they're in "jet mode" and they're immediately confused as to why they lost all momentum.

Once you understand the mechanics and practice with it for 15 minutes or so, you can do all the cool flight maneuvers and tricks and you want while having complete, independent control of the camera. "Hover mode" works great for navigating down city streets and circling encampments, and "jet mode" is great for traveling across the map and chasing down supply convoys. If you're turning in "jet mode" and let go of the throttle (immediately putting you into "hover mode") you can easily cut off trucks, land, and tag them. An in-game tooltip for this maneuver is what prompted me to practice and learn how all this stuff worked.

Tecnniqe

Banned
I find the helicopter flight model rather enjoyable, myself. The key is to understand that it works like a harrier jet, in that there are 2 "modes" the helicopter can be in.

There's the slow moving "hover mode" you start in when taking off, and then there's "jet mode". To enter "jet mode" you just hold forward and the "throttle up" button for about 5 seconds. After those 5 seconds the helicopter will pitch down sharply and gain a big boost in forward momentum. It is now in "jet mode" so you should let go of the forward button. As long as you keep holding down "throttle up" you will remain in "jet mode" and fly straight (and level) at full speed forever. Pushing direction keys while in jet mode will make you ascend/descend/turn while maintaining full speed. Letting go of the "throttle up" button (or pushing the "throttle down" button) will immediately return you to "hover mode" and you'll need to do the forward + throttle up routine for 5 seconds all over again if you want to go back to jet mode.

I suspect one of the problems a lot of people are having is that they continue holding down the forward button after the helicopter enters "jet mode", and thus they start diving toward the ground rather fast, seemingly out of nowhere. Another is that they let go of "throttle up" (or push "throttle down" in order to descend) while they're in "jet mode" and they're immediately confused as to why they lost all momentum.

Once you understand the mechanics and practice with it for 15 minutes or so, you can do all the cool flight maneuvers and tricks and you want while having complete, independent control of the camera. "Hover mode" works great for navigating down city streets and circling encampments, and "jet mode" is great for traveling across the map and chasing down supply convoys. If you're turning in "jet mode" and let go of the throttle (immediately putting you into "hover mode") you can easily cut off trucks, land, and tag them. An in-game tooltip for this maneuver is what prompted me to practice and learn how all this stuff worked.

And people say Vodka don't solve all your problems, heh.

Duraigo

I think acceleration on cars might be either bugged, or done weird. It feels like I either have to double tap R2 (PS4), or really put on the pressure on R2 to get the car to its top speed.

Peroroncino

I think acceleration on cars might be either bugged, or done weird. It feels like I either have to double tap R2 (PS4), or really put on the pressure on R2 to get the car to its top speed.

That may be an issue with your R2, it may be losing sensitivity. Mine already lost it almost completely [to the point where I need to play games with vehicles holding r1 instead of r2]. I only found out after playing driveclub with my friends, everybody was feeding me their dust even on a straight road inside identical cars.

I went bananas and can confirm government shut me the fuck down with cobra's rocket pods.

Happened to me also, I thought that fuckin' chopper got bugged or something, it was pointed in my general direction doing nothing, I shrugged and thought "well that is disappointing" and then... BOOM, DEAD.

btw. how do I join the GAF Task Force?

Tecnniqe

Banned
Happened to me also, I thought that fuckin' chopper got bugged or something, it was pointed in my general direction doing nothing, I shrugged and thought "well that is disappointing" and then... BOOM, DEAD.

btw. how do I join the GAF Task Force?

Yeah had 2 on me while I was in a sniper tower at the FOB and saw one look at me for a sec, figured I hide, first rocket BOOM my screen goes gray and sound gets distorted and like a mere sec after I turn around just to see the other heli shoot his rocket and BAAM RIP :D

Joining the task force should be as simple as going to https://ghostreconnetwork.ubi.com/en-US/task-force/profile/1166/NeoGAF and applying.

phant0m

Played this for about an hour last night. It looks pretty, but there's nothing redeeming about this game and I love Ubisoft the game and open world titles like MGS5. Their giant map just means more busywork traveling around. Not sure this is even a rental now.

I don't understand how you can not like this while liking the extremely lifeless world of MGSV.

Busywork traveling? You can immediately fast travel to any rebel outpost as well as squad mates.

Isn't "it looks pretty" literally something redeeming.

unlocked the final mission (will do that one later or tomorrow)...finished all of the collectibles the map lays out and went to all of the ? areas to get those explored

enjoying the Beta a lot...had a bug where the FOB Commander wouldn't spawn if I failed the mission where the only way I could fix it is completely exit to the desktop and restart the game

My Beta performance on PC was terrible. On the default settings the game puts me on (1080p @Very High) I jump from 30 to 60 and back to 30 all the time, no matter what is happening. Anyone else have poor PC performance?

My Rig:
i7 6850K @ 4.2Ghz
16GB Ram
1080 GTX
Installed to SSD.

TheTurboFD

Anyone know what to do with HVTs? If I knock them out I get a message saying I killed a surrendered but there's no option to capture them or anything.

My Beta performance on PC was terrible. On the default settings the game puts me on (1080p @Very High) I jump from 30 to 60 and back to 30 all the time, no matter what is happening. Anyone else have poor PC performance?

My Rig:
i7 6850K @ 4.2Ghz
16GB Ram
1080 GTX
Installed to SSD.

Try lowering some things to 'high'. I barely noticed a difference visually and I had much better framerate.

Peroroncino

Yeah had 2 on me while I was in a sniper tower at the FOB and saw one look at me for a sec, figured I hide, first rocket BOOM my screen goes gray and sound gets distorted and like a mere sec after I turn around just to see the other heli shoot his rocket and BAAM RIP :D

Joining the task force should be as simple as going to https://ghostreconnetwork.ubi.com/en-US/task-force/profile/1166/NeoGAF and applying.

Yeah those choppers are no joke, next time I'm taking them down tho with my MSR looted from some checkpoint.

Request sent, thanks!

Tecnniqe

Banned
Yeah those choppers are no joke, next time I'm taking them down tho with my MSR looted from some checkpoint.

Request sent, thanks!

I only got to fire a few MSR rounds before getting rekt.

Also I see no pending requests, which is weird but others seem to have the same issue :3
Ubisoft and getting it right, amirite? :p

Peroroncino

I only got to fire a few MSR rounds before getting rekt.

Also I see no pending requests, which is weird but others seem to have the same issue :3
Ubisoft and getting it right, amirite? :p

Exactly lol, oh well, I'm gonna try again after the beta closes, they will have ample time to put down the fire in their server room.

Maaaan the bikes being pretty much indestructible is hilarious. Once you hit a certain speed you can pretty much clip through anything. You can just drive straight through the country side ignoring the roads.

I'm so glad they had this beta. It's the perfect game to play for free for a weekend and then not buy. Same ol' paper-thin Ubisoft story and characters, way-too-loose gunplay and half-baked features.

Fun to play for a few hours with friends until it got stale though!

gossi

I finished the beta and boss battle by throwing a grenade at each boss. It instakilled both. I didn't use a bullet.

Hmm, yeah found this immensely boring to play. I can imagine this is fun going around with friends but as a solo experience, which I often do, it felt pretty lacklustre. Also it had all the hallmarks of a Ubisoft collectathon going too far like AC:Unity did.

Interrogation intel, weapon attachments boxes, files, medals, weapon pickups boxes, rebel loot crates/fuel to mark points for skills, individual skill points to find... List goes on. This is just one area in 21 filled with junk... No thanks.

Hip Hop

Anybody think the game is a little easy?

Was with 3 people last night and the hardest difficulty is not much at all tbh.

PeterGAF

Banned
I think it's bad. I'm sure there are some cool missions but the game just feels bad to play. The controls aren't tight, the driving is laughably bad, and the game just lacks "punch" all around. It feels hallow is that makes sense.

Maybe calling it bad is a little too harsh, but with so many good games coming out soon I can't see any reason why I'd want to pick it up. I played a few missions with friends but after about two or so hours I've seen all I want to see. I had fun, but I think it was for all the wrong reason (making fun of bad physics and what not).

Tovarisc

Got RivaTuner to hook up with game. For sure looks like last-gen....
grw_2017_02_05_01_52_7zr91.png
grw_2017_02_05_02_06_3vq38.png

grw_2017_02_05_01_51_9molg.png
grw_2017_02_05_01_51_bfqmr.png

calder

Wasn't feeling it at first - something about the first half hour really made me sour on the game, it didn't do a very good job of pacing the mini tutorials - but I really enjoyed it by the end. Cleared the map and would have kept going, now I just hope Ubi's incredibly bad website won't prevent my brothers from getting their beta codes because coop would make everything better I'm sure.

Just played like an hour and a half with a party that I met randomly. Holy crap that was fun. Went from not being on my radar to likely picking up. It's like an outback "The Division."

Perineum

Been playing for about a hour solo just to mess around with it.

This game needs to be praised for a VERY well done character and weapon customization system. I was hoping The Division would have this much in that regard.

I think the game would be fun for a while with friends, but the lack of PvP is killing it for me. I enjoyed Future Solider quite a lot because of the PvP aspect. Losing that...can't day one buy it.

owlbeak

PS4 Pro impressions:

Not really impressed with this beta, which is a bummer because I was super excited for this game.

The world is huge, but unfortunately sleep-inducingly boring to traverse. Vehicle/driving physics are probably the absolute WORST I have seen in a game in years; they are inexcusably bad. I don't think the gunplay is particularly great either, and find The Division handles gunplay much better, so it's surprising it's so off in this. I can't exactly put my finger on what is off, but it just doesn't feel great. Guns basically don't feel "punchy" or "weighty", it's like firing lasers with no feedback.

I actually do enjoy tackling a mission, once you get to the area you need to be, but I don't think the encounters will vary enough to not get bored of it rapidly. It's not particularly tactical at all. I'm playing on the hardest difficulty, and it's a cakewalk unless you get flanked by someone. Makes me miss the original Ghost Recon games.

Customization options, both for guns and characters, as well as weapon variety is awesome though! Tons of options for how your character looks with a lot of different options. Looks like a lot of guns and different attachments as well, which is great!

The graphics are just...there. Nothing special. Lighting seems very flat and dull, making the entire world look drab and boring, which it is. Character models and animations are great, though. And LOL at the rain splash animation. So bad it's embarrassing! Voice acting is miserable, as well. Maybe because it's a beta? But I don't see it improving drastically before release in a few weeks.

It basically feels like a lot of copy/paste from The Division & Far Cry, while somehow looking and playing worse than both, into some sort of hybrid game that isn't particularly exciting or fun to play. It is more fun with friends, but not fun enough to make me, or my friends, excited to buy it on release day. Game went from a day 1 purchase for me to probably holding off to at least see reviews, and probably waiting for a discount. :'(

Kaelan

Game is pretty bad imo. Voice acting and lipsync is terrible, the faces look like a vaseline filter was put over them, and the cutscenes are too long and filled with military jargon. Like I had no idea who the characters in the helicopter were and what the hell they were actually talking about. Game is a bargain bin buy - which is sad because I was excited for it.

Budi

Runs like absolute ass on my PC, very disappointed in that indeed. If I get it, it will be on PS4.

You can cap the fps at 30 on PC too. Made the game much more playable for me atleast. But really hoping it will run better at launch, while personally I'm waiting for a sale.

Shanlei91

Sonic handles my blue balls
Reading all the comparisons makes me think I should check out the Division.

I wish my friends were into gaming because this game is great if you have a good group of people together. Capable of a lot of ridiculous moments - was landing a helicopter next to a mission on a cliff and botched it just as people were getting out, which led to a couple of deaths as they slipped off the cliff. "Woops."

Tecnniqe

Banned

I wish my friends were into gaming because this game is great if you have a good group of people together. Capable of a lot of ridiculous moments - was landing a helicopter next to a mission on a cliff and botched it just as people were getting out, which led to a couple of deaths as they slipped off the cliff. "Woops."

This game is nothing like the division and comparisons to that game is silly.

Ascenion

Game is pretty bad imo. Voice acting and lipsync is terrible, the faces look like a vaseline filter was put over them, and the cutscenes are too long and filled with military jargon. Like I had no idea who the characters in the helicopter were and what the hell they were actually talking about. Game is a bargain bin buy - which is sad because I was excited for it.

That's a tad critical no? I mean it is a beta. I've got no reason to believe there hasn't been some extra polish put in since this build. Not to mention you didn't even critique the gameplay just the presentation which again could be due to it being a beta.

Gaz_RB

The Division is nothing like GR except it has guns and they slapped Tom Clancy's name on it.

...and the cutscenes are too long and filled with military jargon. Like I had no idea who the characters in the helicopter were and what the hell they were actually talking about...

This is probably the most Ghost Recon / Tom Clancy thing about the game. If the conversation isn't at least 30% military acronyms and jargon, they're doing it wrong.

Top Bottom