• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ghost Recon Wildlands Closed Beta Discussion Thread

R9 380 + i3 6100, pretty shitty performance overall, I can run For Honor 60fps on High 1080p, I expected less for this game, but not like this...

mojojoeo

yeah man.... pc performance is in the tanker.....

i5 4960k ocd, on ssd, 16gb rams, 1070 -

standing 50fps
moving 40fps
driving 25-35 fps

:/ tweaking doesnt yield much in fps either.

Killed my boner.

Everdred

Played the Xbox One version for about an hour. I think the game looks quite nice. A few moments of slow down when you are driving fast but pretty smooth overall for me.

Single player squad AI is pretty dumb.

Jumped into a randoms online game and we had some fun doing a couple missions. Online is pretty seemless.

I like it so far, wish PVP was going to be in on release instead of added later.

mabec

On PC the aiming is terrible. Maxing the sense on the mouse makes almost no difference. Driving is like driving a boat on land, climbing hills with a horse in Skyrim.
Iam thankful for this demo/beta opportunity, but its a no-go for me. I feel sorry for the devs tho, this title had potential

EL CUCO

How are the graphics? Division level of fidelity?
Draw distances look amazing. Lighting/reflections look just as good as Division so far, (I haven't played at night tho). It's right there with Division, maybe slightly less on textures. The shooting feels better in GRW tho. (so far.)

mojojoeo

On PC the aiming is terrible. Maxing the sense on the mouse makes almost no difference. Driving is like driving a boat on land, climbing hills with a horse in Skyrim.
Iam thankful for this demo/beta opportunity, but its a no-go for me. I feel sorry for the devs tho, this title had potential

jeeze debbie downer- Its not full beta its closed. things can change. You played for what an hour? two?

Carlius

Banned
so only using 3.7gb vram on max out of the 8gb available, yet the game runs at 30 or below...amazing, ffs ubisoft.

Draw distances look amazing. Lighting/reflections look just as good as Division so far, (I haven't played at night tho). It's right there with Division, maybe slightly less on textures. The shooting feels better in GRW tho. (so far.)

God damn it..hope they do an open beta or demo at some point.

Need to see the game in person before I consider getting it.

Thanks for the impressions!

Theorry

Played now for 2.5 hours. And meh is the feeling. Like i said before it feels like a Far Cry open world. Outposts, rebels, the AI in the world acts the same. He even the radio in the cars make the same jokes like in Far Cry. Expected the game to be more of its own thing.
Game looks nice tho. Abit sharp sometimes and the performance isnt that great but for a open world its looking pretty good.

screenshot-original1f7q98.png

screenshot-original2b8og2.png

Enclose

I hope this is some very Early Beta Build, because the Perfomance and the Juddering while driving on PC is an absolut NO GO. I was very hyped for this release but now i will wait for Optimization, Preorder canceled

The performance issues in this beta is indicative of no driver support (which there isn't yet). Huuuge swings in frame rate, even at reasonable settings. I'm on a 980ti and I can't believe I'll have to kick this down to 1080p.

Hopefully some new drivers will drop today.

Lanrutcon

Can't run the game. Card doesn't support DX11.

Ah well. Guess I better upgrade my GTX 1070.

Reddit megathread is filled with people having the same problem. Game is detecting their GPUs and VRAM incorrectly.

Not feeling this at all.

Pros:
Great character customization.
Expansive, large open world.

Cons:
Floaty controls - no idea if this is input lag or another issue - completely ruin the combat.
Terrible performance on Xbox One, like, 20fps average. Inexcusable.
Chromatic Aberration everywhere. Can we at least a toggle like every other Ubisoft game?
Blurry image quality, I figure it's either using a low-end AA method or it's just running at a low resolution.
Story is the pits.
AI is some of the worst this generation. Impressively bad.

I'm really disappointed with this. I wasn't expecting... well, I'm not entirely sure what I was expecting. It's definitley not Ghost Recon in any traditional sense but I wouldn't mind as long as it was actually good at what it's trying to be, but it's really not impressing at the moment. I'll be giving it more time over the weekend but it has an uphill battle if it wants to be worth a purchase for me. It's also very telling that I've enjoyed my time with Sniper Ghost Warrior 3 - yes really - more than my time here.

Tecnniqe

Banned
So far I do really like the combat and customization.

Enemies seem very accuracy and super deadly once they spot you, as they should.
Sometimes they act a bit 'dumb' until they spot you, but that's not that big of an issue to me.

Vehicle handling is the games weakest point. Cars feel like "meh" as in its serviceable but not great. Helicopters are like trying to fly a rock. Yet to try a plane.

Coop feels good, still need to get down some of the mechanics and such but overall, with at least a friend or more I think it'll be great, especially as difficulty and enemies get access to more stuff in the other zones.

As for connectivity, there do seem to be some desync while driving.

Performance wise, it looks good and performs alright but I expect better performance once drivers and proper SLI support is out.

Lren

Liking it so far, though I have to agree that driving is incredibly weak. The AI does need some work as well. A bit hesitant to fully engage enemies in a public game, just in case the majority wants to go in quiet. My entries tend to be filled with explosives and quite the opposite of what is considered stealthy, haha.

Ehh, I decided to play a little bit more before stopping. Seems like a pretty chill tactical-lite shooter in singleplayer, with the potential for fun in co-op + higher difficulties. It's not the super hardcore tactical Ghost Recon people have in their heads (which hasn't been a thing for a long, long time anyway), but it feels like a solid "time sink with the bros" for those who enjoy Far Cry, with lots of things to raid and bad dudes to kill. AI's not great (friendly or enemy), nothing like the interplay in MGSV for example, but I still managed to set up flanks using my squad as a diversion, and successfully stealth my way through areas without the AI messing anything up. Interested to see how the Rebels factor in when they're available in terms of AI systems reacting to each other. Headshots with that "thwip" reticle feedback are very satisfying.

Sound mix is a bit on the soft side though, especially for guns, engines, and explosions. There's this one crazy bird folly sound effect that's super shrill and loud as hell though, which is annoying. Performance is also a bit unstable when driving or flying through/over the more foliage heavy zones. And I'm still scratching my head over the fact that Ubisoft can put out Driver: San Francisco, then proceed to churn out game after game with driving models that don't feel great. I don't get it.

The map looks absolutely immense, and there's a nice variety of locations and atmosphere, even in this limited section of the beta.

The vehicles need work. I shot out all the tires on one and it still felt the same driving it. Should have some slow down to it when damaged.

Tovarisc

Can't get RivaTuner to work in-game so no way of knowing my FPS :( Tips?

Even uPlay overlay doesn't seem to work for some reason.

Taker34

Banned
PS4 Pro support is enabled btw. I currently dislike how easy it is to fly a helicopter or plane. It's as if they've enabled all fly assists possible to a point where a helicopter doesn't move at all mid air if you don't touch the controller. No wind, nothing. It's hovering perfectly still and static.

Draw distance and overall graphics on the PS4 Pro are actually quite amazing. Very dense foliage, pop-in is surprisingly not jarring, customization options are top notch, huge region (20 more are in the full game WOW) and it's actually fun. Especially co-op. The closest ArmA experience we're going to get on consoles, until DayZ comes out.

Ummm guys, I have two downloads for the Beta going on my PS4 for some reason. One that says "Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon Wildlands - Closed Beta" and "KOZ Technical Test" which one is the correct one?

Lom1lo

Im a bit surprised about the fps complaints on xbox one. I player a bit and didnt notice anything and I hate the fps probs of fallout 4.
Was there a lot going on ?

mabec

jeeze debbie downer- Its not full beta its closed. things can change. You played for what an hour? two?

debbie downer played the demo for an hour. things can change, things should change. things won't change. Yes the PC have auto aim turned on by default, I did turn it off.

That's not a good sign.

Curious as to how you'd label a game world "Far Cry-ian" or "Ghost Recon-esque." I've not played much of FC, except for 2.

Far Cry to me has always been more a playful, open sandbox shooter where you eliminate bases throughout an open map... while Ghost Recon has always been more of a tactical, mostly linear shooter where you plan, instruct teammates and complete missions.

Wildlands has a lot of the structure, look and feel of FarCry 3 and 4... id say more of that than any relation to any previous Ghost Recon.

Darklor01

Might need to stop sniffing glue
Serious? I only have one download and it's labeled as KOZ in my PS4 Download list. When I played it, it said "closed beta" in game tho

That's what I have as well. I can't try it until I get home, but when I check the status on it the Transaction History, it says starts 2/2. I don't think deleting it is right.

Greedings

Far Cry to me has always been more a playful, open sandbox shooter where you eliminate bases throughout an open map... while Ghost Recon has always been more of a tactical, mostly linear shooter where you plan, instruct teammates and complete missions.

Wildlands has a lot of the structure, look and feel of FarCry 3 and 4... id say more of that than any relation to any previous Ghost Recon.

That's disappointing. If I wanted Far Cry, I'd buy Far Cry.

theWB27

I can't even get past the video on X1. Just keeps crashing to the dashboard. Anyone heard of this or a solution?

SomTervo

Chopper controls on PC are... Serviceable, but I don't see myself doing any crazy stunts. Definitely need to group up, but I definitely need sleep.

Games got potential, but boy they should've lifted MGSVs controls and feel... I mean all games should so that but this game especially.

Oh shoot I forgot to benchmark... eh I'll do it when I wake up

It's not as easy as "lifting" a game's controls and feel. That will have taken thousands of hours of careful tweaking, balancing with game mechanics and iterating on the design

Gowans

i dont think i like it, its ok.

Its much more a co-op open world action game with shooter elements than a co-op shooter in an open world.

Xater

After trying the first mission for the third time the dude I was supposed to free was finally in the cage. Game is still super average and the input lag is super bad.

Yeah it seems like most around the web feel the same. It's like a straight Co-op Far Cry with a bit less bro-humor and more bro-military facade.

It's actually way less interesting than Far Cry though. It lacks all the cool stealth mechanics and systemic elements like animal interaction.

How does the on-foot gameplay compare to GR:Future Soldier? Is there anything new there?

I'd rather play Future Soldier again than this. That game had more options.

How does it compare to MGSV? I am still excited to try it out this weekend.

Hell it doesn't compare favorable to Far Cry, so it sure as hell is worse than MGS.

Very good point. Id be way happier if this was just Far Cry 5. Could even be in this setting for all i care. Give me the story missions, side missions, animal hunts and humor. This attempt at sticking the Ghost Recon name over it and switching on 3rd person on while removing the "fun stuff" is just strange. Jack of all master of none

Top Bottom