• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ghost Recon Wildlands Closed Beta Discussion Thread

Been watching a few streams this morning and this does not look very fun solo. It looks really cool if you are playing with 2-3 people, especially coordinating sniper shots, but solo it looks completely boring and generic. Like a mix of Far Cry, Division and Just Cause but more high tech and no zany/humor.

Definitely fits the "wait a year, buy the gold edition at 75% off thats fully patched up" Ubi game model now especially if you are just gonna play solo. If you have 2-3 friends though who are gonna play with you it looks cool.

Lanrutcon

Impressions!

Pros:
- Looks pretty. Draw distance is lovely.
- Shooting is more conventional than the Division. People will be happy.
- Character editor is absolutely fucking awesome.
- Amount of gear looks bonkers.
- Plays exactly like it says on the box: it's a dumbed down MGSV with a focus on coop.
- Cover works fine without being sticky.

Cons:
- It runs like absolute dogshit. What's the framerate? 80? 60? 30? 20? Fuck knows! I actually felt seasick while trying to just run around as the framerate was cycling through numbers like some kind of matrix screensaver. This wasn't on some kind of cutting edge setting or anything: 1080 at high (clarification: game has 2 levels above this). The Division runs like a million times better than this, and has better image quality and object detail. I'm running at I5 with a 1070 GTX. I monitored both: neither was capped, VRAM/RAM was never capped. Running off an SSD.
- Managed to crash the character editor twice. If you move through options quicker than the server (UBI servers!) can managed you can break things.
- Friendly AI is non-existent.
- Enemy AI can spot you from a football field away if they're looking in your direction, but won't notice when you autofirea bunch of dudes with a suppressor a room away.
- Cars felt very slippery. It's like they need more weight or grip or something. Didn't feel like I was driving a heavy pickup.
- Super easy. Destroying a group of dudes is a joke when they are this stupid, headshots kill and your guns have virtually no recoil. I imagine this will change when they get some kind of unrealistic heavy armor later on or something.

I want to play more, but with this performance I can't. I guess I could set the game to medium 720p or something, but eewww.

Pjsprojects

Wow for me it's like this-

PC,janky needs patching,fps all over the place.

Xbox one,nasty lower res with fps drops.

PS4,overall the best for me,looks native 1080p??

PS4 Pro,No idea don't own one yet.

Hazaku

This game will probably disappoint anyone who thought this was gonna play like Ghost Recon 2 or GRAW in an open world environment.

Anyway it'll still probably be a decent romp with friends. I'll pick it up when it goes cheap.

EDIT: Game is too easy even on the Ghost difficulty.

Jeremy

I got my code this morning, excited to play when I get home tonight.

I'm almost imagining it being The Division set in South America but with a better foundation of what works and what doesn't after dealing with The Div. I haven't watched anything about the game though.

SomTervo

All the vehicles feel slow as shit. Even the motorcycles are slow.

They feel realistic to me. Which was really nice. They felt heavy and reactive abs pretty easy to control.

This game will probably disappoint anyone who thought this was gonna play like Ghost Recon 2 or GRAW in an open world environment.

Anyway it'll still probably be a decent romp with friends. I'll pick it up when it goes cheap.

EDIT: Game is too easy even on the Ghost difficulty.

I'm finding it quite old school like GR 2. More so than many games anyway.

Pjsprojects

I'm almost imagining it being The Division set in South America but with a better foundation of what works and what doesn't after dealing with The Div. I haven't watched anything about the game though.

The Division is way ahead of Wildlands for me!

Oh god are you in for a fucking surprise then lol! It's NOWHERE near as put-together as the Division is (now).

Greedings

Ooof. These responses are so sad. I was really excited for this, maybe I'll save myself 50€. Definitely need to try it out for myself then!

SomTervo

I prefer this to the Division.

Division's gameplay loop is the same start to finish and feels really turgid. A to B and shoot people. The shootfeel FEELS just like numbers being transferred. Although the cover system, animations and performance are great. On Hard you sometimes get a nice encounter.

In Wildlands I've already had awesome coordinated sniper shots, racing other people down mountains to a destination, an insane emergent action movie car chase, several crazy vertical gunfights where positioning really mattered, an awesome helicopter trip.

And dare i say, to be brutal to MGS V, i think there's been more objective variation in the hour i played this morning than in most of MGS V.

There have been a bunch of bugs and other minor-medium problems but this is a beta, sooo

Theorry

Went wrong for me haha. His own guy killed him and it was mission failed haha.

oRGq1FI.gif

AAMARMO

Banned
Xbox one version of this runs at a revolution of sub 900p. However PC version dosent suffer from CPU bottlenecking like The Division.

SUPGUYZ

Banned
on PC here. GTX 1080, i7 6700, and 16gb of ram.

Runs like utter shit. Framerate goes up and down from 30-70 randomly on any setting i put it on. The mouse feels like there is acceleration even if the setting is off. The AI is stupid as hell and the driving is jank.

Really disappointed so far :(

Division's gameplay loop is the same start to finish and feels really turgid. A to B and shoot people. The shootfeel FEELS just like numbers being transferred. Although the cover system, animations and performance are great. On Hard you sometimes get a nice encounter.

In Wildlands I've already had awesome coordinated sniper shots, racing other people down mountains to a destination, an insane emergent action movie car chase, several crazy vertical gunfights where positioning really mattered, an awesome helicopter trip.

Agreed 100%. I haven't put too much time into it yet, a little singleplayer, and a very little bit of co-op, but the potential for varied and emergent nonsense is way higher in this game. Something as simple as freeing the Rebels who decide to go nuts on the police/military faction leads to more spontaneity and quick thinking than anything not Dark Zone related in The Division. Outpost captains can also escape by ground vehicle or by helo which I can see making for some ridiculous chases in harder sections of the game.

prudislav

And dare i say, to be brutal to MGS V, i think there's been more objective variation in the hour i played this morning than in most of MGS V.

There have been a bunch of bugs and other minor-medium problems but this is a beta, sooo
might be because Wildlands is basically military squad oriented take on Far Cry formula .... and Division is in its mechanics more of a shootery instanced MMORPG
... even though they look simialr , their gameplay loops and mechanics are completely different

and yeah from hat i played from Division i would prefer it to be more of a tacticool openworld shooter like GRW, than mmorpg

Theorry

Dont see the need to compare it to Division really. Division is more a MMO so the gameplay is affected by that. They are both different enough to exist next to eachother.
I do think Far Cry is gonna be a problem next to this game, Or its gonna be like Primal again then it would be possible.

Peroroncino

The aiming controls are very clunky, it needs to be way snappier and smooth - already maxed sensitivity and it still takes 2 hours to do a 360, especially aiming inside a moving vehicle is really hard.

I see they made some sort of a hybrid cover system, I was afraid the game wouldn't have anything like it, but so far I dig it.

Glad to see they added some blood decals, but it's still very poor, a proper system would go lenghts for added immersion

Bodies are disappearing waaaaay to fast, sometimes they literally pop out of existence before my eyes.

Melee animations and takedowns lack any sort of impact behind them.

I like the driving physics, bikes behave really good.

I was very sceptical towards the game, but if they manage to address some of those complaints, I may pick it up on release.

Jb

One thing I really like about the game so far is about lethal guns are. One center mass hit and dudes without body armor are on the ground.

I am however really worried about the AI. Stealth AI is hard and open world AI is extra hard. I'm afraid the stupidity of your opponents combined with how good the guns are will make clearing bases relatively easy. I might give the extra hard mode a shot to see if it makes it more tense.

DrBo42

Wildlands has potential for more variety in approach and execution compared to The Division if we have to compare them but for me, The Division at least is well crafted at its core and knows what it is.

Wildlands feels like a Frankenstein of Ubi projects in a very mediocre way. I can understand being more satisfied that 1 shot equals 1 kill the majority of the time but it's not an experience that feels fluid or cohesive in its cover -> aiming -> shooting flow. It's just clunky.

Hazaku

I need prone rolls for this to be considered old school
/s

I just can't shake off the "this feels like Far Cry" feeling I guess. I should probably do less envoy and outpost missions too ...

hydruxo

They feel realistic to me. Which was really nice. They felt heavy and reactive abs pretty easy to control.

Yeah but the thing is when you have a game this large, having slow vehicles is unacceptable. It took me ages to get to that first mission in a car I used. They gotta at least up the speed on vehicles a little bit before the full game comes out.

Wildlands has potential for more variety in approach and execution compared to The Division if we have to compare them but for me, The Division at least is well crafted at its core and knows what it is.

Wildlands feels like a Frankenstein of Ubi projects in a very mediocre way. I can understand being more satisfied that 1 shot equals 1 kill the majority of the time but it's not an experience that feels fluid or cohesive in its cover -> aiming -> shooting flow. It's just clunky.

^^^100% - This guy/girl gets it.^^^

Theorry

Yeah thats the feeling i have also. The open world gameplay feels also abit unrealistic to me. Like what i do as a covert op taking on the cartel doesnt have impact on the world also. I mean its cool to chase down a transport in your chopper and taking it out. But then the mission ended and that was it.

TheRed

I liked driving around and the world looks pretty. Liked how the guns felt when hitting enemies but the aiming and controls as a whole feel a little clunky.

I don't know it seems okay and I'd probably enjoy it enough but it doesn't feel $60 worth to me yet.

D

Deleted member 59090

Unconfirmed Member
One thing I really like about the game so far is about lethal guns are. One center mass hit and dudes without body armor are on the ground.

I am however really worried about the AI. Stealth AI is hard and open world AI is extra hard. I'm afraid the stupidity of your opponents combined with how good the guns are will make clearing bases relatively easy. I might give the extra hard mode a shot to see if it makes it more tense.

It doesn't, you can still easily take everyone down on your own without any alerts. Turning off hud elements makes it significantly harder though so if anyone is looking for a challenge I'd recommend that along with the hardest difficulty which as far as I can tell just makes you more vulnerable.

Gaz_RB

Game is fun as hell the second you go into multiplayer. Solo is a bit of a bore. Squad AI+Open World is never a good combo.

I won't disagree that it's a Frankenstein's monster, but the core gameplay feels smooth enough to me, barring the weird aiming acceleration or input lag or whatever it is. The cover system is soft, the shoulder switching and perspective swaps are accessible without finger gymnastics, vaulting cover is basically straight out of The Division (or Future Soldier, or Blacklist, or Conviction, or etc., etc.), range of motion and responsiveness of your character is solid, vehicle entry is deliberate and reliable in high intensity scenarios, weapon feedback and bullet drop is good, prone and all of its combinations (sprinting out of it, sprinting into it, crouching, etc) are tight, grenades go where the indicator says, etc. Engagements makes sense and feel good IMO.

The structure of the game is what, at first glance, feels haphazard, but I don't want to to judge the entire thing when we're only getting a small glance of an enormous map that's clearly divided into different districts according to difficulty. The bigger, harder bases and horde style encounters might be where this comes together, particularly in co-op.

madjoki

Feels really bad on PC, framerate is all over place unless you use low/medium settings.

But it feels like it's much lower framerate.

Camera movement is really janky, very skippy & annoying to look at.

Cars / bikes control is bad

At least shooting / aim is acceptable, nothing great, but not bad either. But it can't save game.

Low (VSync on)

X2dAl5k.png

Medium (VSync on) constantly switches between 30 fps & 60 fps

JEWhwyH.png

Medium (VSync off)

qbKB1l7.png

codes still seem to be going out, I got one 45 minutes ago. I couldn't log in to the website to send out invites though, dunno if its down, my browser, or because i have 2FA on

DrBo42

Yeah thats the feeling i have also. The open world gameplay feels also abit unrealistic to me. Like what i do as a covert op taking on the cartel doesnt have impact on the world also. I mean its cool to chase down a transport in your chopper and taking it out. But then the mission ended and that was it.
I think there's some level of notoriety if you go into the factions menu but again it's something that appears slapped on rather than being designed with purpose or an overall feel.

Maybe the whole dynamic changes in the harder zones but since we don't have access to it I can only judge this game on what we have. And the game as it's presented here is not a $60 purchase.

Enclose

Feels really bad on PC, framerate is all over place unless you use low/medium settings.

But it feels like it's much lower framerate.

Camera movement is really janky, very skippy & annoying to look at.

Cars / bikes control is bad

At least shooting / aim is acceptable, nothing great, but not bad either. But it can't save game.

Yes, i can confirm all of these things. They need to get this fixed until release asap. Game looks great and i want to play it hard, but with this issues i better wait till March.

prudislav

Squad AI+Open World is never a good combo.
It could have been fun but the commands are really barebones and you cant do much with it
... espeacially compared to old Ghost Recons or R6 games which had insane tactical option with AI squad compared to basic commands only here

Rodin

As a huge GR fan, i stopped playing and deleted the beta from my PS4 after 20 minutes. Janky camera and controls, bad control scheme, shitty car controls, open world for the sake of being open world, shitty ai, overall boring as hell. Graphics look great and may be fun with friends but that's about it.

Also wtf was up with that sound glitch in the opening cutscene?

Going to wait for my friends to be on before I play more, hopefully co-op is interesting. Solo play is very boring, just marking them ala Far Cry or WD2 and then walking in and shooting them in the face. I only did that first mission and was ready to stop playing. PC port is a bit of a mess but I hope that is due to it being an old build. Visually is can look rather nice but I think as a whole it looks a little... I don't know, cross-gen in some ways.

killroy87

Haven't played Wildlands yet, but agree 100% on the bolded. Even compared to something like Destiny, the shooting in the Division felt awful, like MMO combat with guns.

EL CUCO

Went wrong for me haha. His own guy killed him and it was mission failed haha.

oRGq1FI.gif
These are the moments that make this game stand out to me. I was literally LOL within the first 15 minutes when I cross the street and almost got run over by a reckless civilian driver. I doubt it's by design, but I was cracking up and it help take some of the serious edge off.

vsMIC

played 2 hours on xbox, mainly coop, and i really liked the mix of military gta, division and far cry.

day one, will be fun with buddies, not so sure about solo ...

Top Bottom