• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ghost Song Kickstarter - Metroid meets Dark Souls - GAFer made - funded!

Soup Bar

Man that looks really good. Since this is probably going to come out before an official Metroid game from Nintendo, you have my ten bucks.

Jobbs

Banned
hey guys -- I just got done being passed out for a few hours. I'm getting caught up on stuff now. as always, I thank you guys for all the kind things you're saying and to anyone who has backed.

Fireblend

Banned
hey guys -- I just got done being passed out for a few hours. I'm getting caught up on stuff now. as always, I thank you guys for all the kind things you're saying and to anyone who has backed.

Good that it was only a few hours - else you would have missed the goal being hit. Just a matter of hours now
3AQmK.gif

Feep

Banned
The Kickstarter backend lets you see how much money has come from certain external sources.

I wonder what neogaf.com is at? = D

Vire

THIS

LOOKS

AWESOME!

I've been waiting for a game like this for god knows how long. Metroid + Megaman X Dash + Brooding Atmosphere.

Jesus tits. Backed.

Fireblend

Banned
With the support I bet you've gotten so far from GAF you should have an optional upgrade somewhere in the game called the G.A.F. Module or something, just get creative with the acronym and come up with something that fits the tone of the game
KuGsj.gif
seriously, dat community support. GAF is great.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Backed without hesitation. You seem to have great taste in game design so I trust you to make good design decisions. Good luck, Jobbs!

Sothpaw

Don't like the look of the main character at all. Samus looks like she could break him over her back.

The game really does look good, I just would prefer a better looking (read badass) looking main character.

Ocaso

Well since this looks like it will be backed, lets all think of creative ways to get more funding. In turn, creative ways of spending that extra income would have be created, especially if its the dev's desire to keep it a two-man team. Maybe money on a composer? Or a sound library or something...Maybe art outsourcing. Kinda tricky when i think about it. lulz.

Actually maybe buying better hardware and drinking fine wine every night could go a long way.

Ideal stretch goals would be more platforms. Find out how much it would take to publish on PS3, WiiU, and XBLA for starters and use that as a guide.

Sothpaw

Ideal stretch goals would be more platforms. Find out how much it would take to publish on PS3, WiiU, and XBLA for starters and use that as a guide.

When kickstarter games go for other platforms it is usually Linux & Mac, not the consoles. Anyway I would much prefer stretch goals that make the game bigger/better than a console version.

Jobbs

Banned
For stretch goals, one thing I want to do is offer an "Overtime mode" -- credits roll, suddenly you're in the shoes of another character, seeing some things from a new point of view.

Obviously, I want to nail down a number for Wii U version. It's becoming clear that Wii U support is fairly realistic, it's just a matter of determining what the number is where we could safely claim to do it.

Gattsu25

Banned
I backed this game.

It looks sublime.

Really, it looks very very good. Kudos on that.

What you're saying about the gameplay all sounds good, as well.

ToyBroker

Banned
For stretch goals, one thing I want to do is offer an "Overtime mode" -- credits roll, suddenly you're in the shoes of another character, seeing some things from a new point of view.

Obviously, I want to nail down a number for Wii U version. It's becoming clear that Wii U support is fairly realistic, it's just a matter of determing what the number is where we could safely claim to do it.

Pretty sure you spelled PS4 wrong. Probably just a mistake :eek:

Jobbs

Banned
Thanks Zeliard :D

Pretty sure you spelled PS4 wrong. Probably just a mistake :eek:

This is really really hard, I was told that there's not final information yet on what a unity license will cost, and if it's like ps360 it's ludicrously expensive. Because I don't know what the costs are, it's hard to talk PS4.

~Kinggi~

Banned

This is really really hard, I was told that there's not final information yet on what a unity license will cost, and if it's like ps360 it's ludicrously expensive. Because I don't know what the costs are, it's hard to talk PS4.

Your product is exuding a certain quality that is going to cause people to very casually expect this to be on their favorite platform and be great. I think focusing on making the core game as wonderful as possible will open all the doors eventually.

Jobbs

Banned
Your product is exuding a certain quality that is going to cause people to very casually expect this to be on their favorite platform and be great. I think focusing on making the core game as wonderful as possible will open all the doors eventually.

This is kind of where I'm at -- I believe if I deliver a desirable, high quality product, things will find a way of working out in regard to ports. Stretch goals are fun though and they keep backers engaged.

On that topic -- another idea I'm toying with involves the floating pet. There's a pet you get, early in the game, named Dizzy (Saymund loans him to you). Way way long time ago, I planned a whole system for this thing where it would feed and evolve down different paths depending on what you do and what it feeds on (it was partly inspired by the MAGs in PSO) This was actually one of the central pillars of the design early on. I eventually cut this -- well, cut it to a bare minimum - because I realized I was getting too ambitious and needed to stay focused. I may be able to add something like this back in if we get more time/resources to work on it than expected.

catabarez

Both Sony and Nintendo have their own indie relations guy. I can't recall their names but you should talk to them about it and see the costs.

ToyBroker

Banned

Ya, I hear ya mang.

But Sony's indie dude is super awesome. Plenty of devs have just sent him a message on Twitter and got hooked up with the 411.

I'd recommend doing the same:

https://twitter.com/shahidkamal

Vire

Both Sony and Nintendo have their own indie relations guy. I can't recall their names but you should talk to them about it and see the costs.

Adam Boyes is the guy to get a hold of for Sony. I know he has been working with a lot of Indie teams!

https://twitter.com/amboyes

EDIT: Also it was mentioned this game's prototype was playable in flash form. Is there any place we can see this?

On that topic -- another idea I'm toying with involves the floating pet. There's a pet you get, early in the game, named Dizzy (Saymund loans him to you). Way way long time ago, I planned a whole system for this thing where it would feed and evolve down different paths depending on what you do and what it feeds on (it was partly inspired by the MAGs in PSO) This was actually one of the central pillars of the design early on. I eventually cut this -- well, cut it to a bare minimum - because I realized I was getting too ambitious and needed to stay focused. I may be able to add something like this back in if we get more time/resources to work on it than expected.

Is the pet constantly floating with you or do you "summon" it?

I feel like it goes against the idea of isolation/feeling alone.

Jobbs

Banned
Adam Boyes is the guy to get a hold of for Sony. I know he has been working with a lot of Indie teams!

https://twitter.com/amboyes

So I should just tweet at him stating my intentions? :)

EDIT: Also it was mentioned this game's prototype was playable in flash form. Is there any place we can see this?

This is technically possible, but I'm not sure right now if I want to do this because the flash game that exists now won't be continued -- it's going to be rebuilt in Unity. I feel very protective/controlling of the game, while I believe in the product 110%, I'm very cautious about exposing unfinished bits in broad daylight and am not sure if there's a lot to be gained from it.

Vire

So I should just tweet at him stating my intentions? :)
Hell yeah! I'll give him a tweet too letting him know how excited GAF is for this game.

This is technically possible, but I'm not sure right now if I want to do this because the flash game that exists now won't be continued -- it's going to be rebuilt in Unity. I feel very protective/controlling of the game, while I believe in the product 110%, I'm very cautious about exposing unfinished bits in broad daylight and am not sure if there's a lot to be gained from it

I understand completely. I always was wary of showing unfinished artwork to people I loved, let alone the world. So I get it, but at the same time, we are so excited for the game it would be great to just get an idea where it's heading and possibly get more people interested in it.

I remember replaying Super Meat Boy's flash version over and over till the full release came out, full knowing that the arcade game would be much more complete and robust.

But it's your baby, so if you don't want to - I can't do much about it aye? :p

That would be awesome.

Jobbs

Banned
That's pretty cool.

Some of them are less friendly with the Metroid look of the game than neogaf is. :) But that's okay, I expected a certain degree of this going in.

The "A Journey of Hope" tagline is probably the thing I like least about this entire game.

It's so hokey.

If it makes you feel better, this is a tagline I use on the website and on the listing but it's not actually part of the game's title. The game's title is Ghost Song.

~Kinggi~

Banned
Some of them are less friendly with the Metroid look of the game than neogaf is. :) But that's okay, I expected a certain degree of this going in.

It sounded to me like they thought it was fine because you were honest about your inspiration. Disingenuous attempts are what piss people off. If you can demonstrate and good spin on the established idea its not really a problem anymore.

Vard

Congrats, Jobbs. Game has been looking great and I really look forward to playing it. Making Indie Game Dev-GAF proud!

Jobbs

Banned
I emailed Adelman telling him about my desire to offer a Wii U stretch goal, and attempt to get more information -- I REALLY want to do this (I love Nintendo, I love Wii U) but I also am loathe to promise something unless I know I can deliver on it. I want stretch goals, and I need them --- But I also need them to be reality based! I'm trying hard to keep myself out of trouble.

69wpm

I emailed Adelman telling him about my desire to offer a Wii U stretch goal, and attempt to get more information -- I REALLY want to do this (I love Nintendo, I love Wii U) but I also am loathe to promise something unless I know I can deliver on it. I want stretch goals, and I need them --- But I also need them to be reality based! I'm trying hard to keep myself out of trouble.

Good to know, you're doing the right thing. I for one will back this game no matter what, if it gets a Wii U port, I'll gladly buy it again. Just focus on the game and make it awesome :)

Top Bottom