• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ghost Trick: Phantom Detective |OT| Spoiler: The Main Character Dies

Oxx

Should I seek out the Ace Attorney games if I like this?

Anything drastically wrong with the iOS version of the first game? I imagine it's easily the cheapest.

Gravijah

Beat this earlier. I don't think I've ever laughed out loud as much as I have with this game. I love the characters, the writing... I think I should dig AA back out, finish it, and finally play the other AA games.

timnich

Oxx said:
Should I seek out the Ace Attorney games if I like this?

Anything drastically wrong with the iOS version of the first game? I imagine it's easily the cheapest.
I played through both the ds version and the iOS version and they seemed identical to me. And yes, play Ace Attourney, at least the first game if not all of them.

Oxx

timnich said:
I played through both the ds version and the iOS version and they seemed identical to me. And yes, play Ace Attourney, at least the first game if not all of them.

Capcom's iOS sale comes at a good time.

Boogiepop

Just finished it up last night, enjoyed it quite thoroughly. Only thing that I questioned is how
someone would actually manage to get killed by the "murder machine." I mean, really, you pretty much have to just stand there at the end like an idiot.
Oh, and I totally saw
cat Sissel
coming as soon as
his body started moving about. Though Missile being Ray totally caught me off guard.
Also a little sad that we never saw
Sissel's namesake, though I understand that they didn't want to make a model or anything specifically for the epilogue.
BTW, is there any official consensus on whether this game's Missile is a link between this game and the AA series or just a homage?

Gravijah

Mank said:
Just finished it up last night, enjoyed it quite thoroughly. Only thing that I questioned is how
someone would actually manage to get killed by the "murder machine." I mean, really, you pretty much have to just stand there at the end like an idiot.
Oh, and I totally saw
cat Sissel
coming as soon as
his body started moving about. Though Missile being Ray totally caught me off guard.
Also a little sad that we never saw
Sissel's namesake, though I understand that they didn't want to make a model or anything specifically for the epilogue.
BTW, is there any official consensus on whether this game's Missile is a link between this game and the AA series or just a homage?

Cat Sissel was pretty obvious like midway through. Kinda disappointed with the Ray=Missile reveal, though.

So I finally got around to purchasing this game a couple days ago.
I am really enjoying the game so far. The puzzles are well thought out, the presentation is great, and characters are awesome. Missile has to be my favourite character so far.

Boogiepop

Ok, so when I got the game it was as a birthday gift (early February), and I had made sure that it was ordered from Amazon in time for it to count as a preorder, meaning I should get the download for the gift. I remembered this recently only to discover that my parents (who ordered the game) did not have the e-mail that contained the code for the download (at least that's how I believe it was supposed to work, correct?) I can only assume that it got caught by their spam filter and is long gone so... any idea who I should try contacting about this? I want to get this download the legal way if at all possible, as I DID preorder it.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
RPG_Fanatic said:
So I finally got around to purchasing this game a couple days ago.
I am really enjoying the game so far. The puzzles are well thought out, the presentation is great, and characters are awesome. Missile has to be my favourite character so far.

I think it's safe to say that Missile is everyone's favorite character.

Gravijah

thetrin said:
I think it's safe to say that Missile is everyone's favorite character.

Nah, my favorite is actually
the security guard jail whatever the hell he is guy and his buddy.
They always makes me laugh out loud.
Missile becoming such a large part of the story is what made me dislike him; I preferred him as comic relief.

mclem

Gravijah said:
Cat Sissel was pretty obvious like midway through. Kinda disappointed with the Ray=Missile reveal, though.

Unless, of course, you're like me, and forgot just how Yomiel's corpse made it to the lower level by the time the plot point came up again.

mclem

The_Technomancer said:
Nah, he's second, but for various reasons I love Cabanella.
I like Cabanella, too: mainly because I liked the character,
but I always thought he was being set up to be the ultimate villian. When the phone call from him came through, I thought that confirmed it... then the game completely wrongfooted me.

thefil

Finished the game last night. I really loved the plot and characters; I think the characters in particularly top even Phoenix Wright for being consistently likable and interesting. The reveal at the end that everyone was saved by
a cat and a dog
is also more than I could have asked for.

All in all, one of the best DS games I've played. Went in expecting to be blown away, and was. Even the music was up to expectations - it was all as good as PW1, even though we didn't get any theme quite on the level of "Objection".

Busaiku

Gravijah said:
Nah, my favorite is actually
the security guard jail whatever the hell he is guy and his buddy.
They always makes me laugh out loud.
Missile becoming such a large part of the story is what made me dislike him; I preferred him as comic relief.
His name's Bailey.
I wonder why they only had his name in the profiles for a little bit.

Nemesis_

Did anyone notice this? Playing through iOS Ace Attorney...

e7z2fk.png

Mindblown. Though it makes sense with what Jintor said.

upandaway

Eh. I give up. Someone help me please.

The stealth section with the detective. I got up to the first upper toilet right after the steps (after he rolled inside the gap in the middle, but it doesn't checkpoint there). No cores or anything, and he refuses to go back once I'm there. I think maybe I'm supposed to make him run for it then? But how do I do that? And I think there's a guard later there anyway so I don't think that's it. Completely clueless.

Gravijah

upandaway said:
Eh. I give up. Someone help me please.

The stealth section with the detective. I got up to the first upper toilet right after the steps (after he rolled inside the gap in the middle, but it doesn't checkpoint there). No cores or anything, and he refuses to go back once I'm there. I think maybe I'm supposed to make him run for it then? But how do I do that? And I think there's a guard later there anyway so I don't think that's it. Completely clueless.

IIRC, you can just have him go through tunnel/gap thing where you had him hide to get him all the way to the other side. Just open the floor the guard is standing on to get him outta the way, too.

upandaway

Gravijah said:
IIRC, you can just have him go through tunnel/gap thing where you had him hide to get him all the way to the other side. Just open the floor the guard is standing on to get him outta the way, too.
I tried that too, but when I try to go to the other side from below, I stop at the toilet of his room because the picture case thing is open, and if it's not closed I can't reach anywhere. No guard passes either.

Edit: I think I got it. Thanks man.
Hitch a ride on the upper guard to get to the other side from above, rather than below.

Yeah everyone gets stuck at that part because you think
you have to go up and then just run for it since he refuses to go back down afterwards.
Annoying as they are, I actually like games that make you think you're on the right track but really aren't.

Hey does anyone have a wallpaper of the final image at the end of the credits?

Just a link to it, of course. Don't want the awesomeness spoiled for others.

MechaX

Man. Between this game and 999, my DS has been getting a lot of love lately (and probably Radiant Historia is up next if I decide to get that over Marvel vs. Capcom 3). Hell, these two games have made me shout out "What in the FUCK?!" more than once whenever a really unexpected twist comes up. Definitely have to give Shu some credit for this game when considering that the twists were right up there with 999's.

Anyway, finished the game. I didn't think I would say this, but hell, I could mind the creators not going back to the Ace Attorney series if it meant sticking around with this series for a little while. But I definitely liked this game. The puzzles were challenging enough but not extremely overbearing to the point where I would be forced to resort to a FAQ (although, some the puzzle solutions I stumbled onto by luck). And like Ace Attorney, the concept isn't entirely original but the story is told in a way that both keeps you interested and always keeps you guessing right up to the very end. The music is also better than... well... any AA game since 3. Pretty damn catchy stuff.

And Missile is the best character ever in more ways than one.

Jintor

I'm sad Ghost Trick has no replayability but on the other hand it's a different kind of visual novel to 999. Also, 999 is keeping me from sleeping at night, so it loses points for that!

upandaway

Just finished it.

It deserves to be up there along with Phoenix Wright. Damn that was good.

I already figured Sissel out from about chapter 6 or 7 (I thought he was a random small animal that died from the first shot, then I started thinking it's the cat, and bam) so that didn't really get me, but all the other twists were crazy good, just like PW.

I still like the PW formula better though, since you're the one to unravel the mysteries, and you're more engaged in everything. Perhaps that's why I felt it was a little less tense in the ending chapters than the most incredible parts of PW.

Still, it was incredible. Especially the parts like the ending of chapter 14, where they just bombard you with a ton of twists. The ending was crazy good too.

In general, I think the PW way is a bit better in terms of getting engaged in what's happening, but in terms of pure puzzle solving fun... Ghost Trick is way, way better. Hell, right now I'm still itching for a few more four-minute death savings. They were really fun to solve. So the story was really cool, but the gameplay was what made it different from PW.

I dunno which is more fun: Getting an exciting Objection going, or solving a really good death puzzle. It was all really fun.

Finished this game after 2 days of hardcore playing. This game was just too good to put down. It's probably early to say, but I think this may be my Game of the Year.

Puzzles were amazing, plot was incredible (though somewhat predictable in certain areas), and the characters were all very fun - even the side characters were full of life. The animations were absolutely amazing and really sold me on this game.

After all the cool twists, I was a little miffed by the ending twist though, which is a bit too bad.
spoiler:
I kinda suspected at the beginning it had some sort of time-travel thing, but I was assuming it was Sissel's future self or something, coming back to save himself.

Boney

Banned
Gravijah said:
Beat this earlier. I don't think I've ever laughed out loud as much as I have with this game. I love the characters, the writing... I think I should dig AA back out, finish it, and finally play the other AA games.
Are you gonna start paying attention to what I tell you know?

Man, up until chapter 10 I was fantasising about a Missile spinoff, but man did the game deliver on that front. What a great cast.

Finished it. Fun game but not on the same level of ace attorney in terms of story. I'd say 7.5/10 because the puzzles aren't that good -- very easy to solve since the possibilities are very limited, the game is short, and the music isn't as memorable. The animation is awesome though. Now I've finished all the localized ace attorney games + ghost trick. The only thing left is the third Layton game and then I'll be prepped for Layton Vs. ace attorney (until ace attorney investigations 2 and the fourth and fifth layton games come out, of course).

Recently finished this game too.

Great game. I thought it was pretty cool and unique, though I just wish they could have taken some of the puzzles further. Make them bigger, more complex, but also allow multiple solutions.

AniHawk

just beat it.

animation is damn impressive. i mean, it's impressive for pretty much any game, but to see it on the ds was constantly boggling the mind.

aside from that, i liked how the story was worked into the gameplay so well: little tidbits of animation where characters were acting wacky was done to get you from place to place. that integration was cool.

that said, the game felt like it ran a little long, and the twists at the end weren't all that satisfying. i enjoyed the puzzles and idea behind ghost trick a lot, but i think as an overall package, 999 left me more satisfied (mostly due to a better endgame and the game getting better as you keep playing).

worth the money though.

Zomba13

Just finished this game. The credits just stopped rolling.
Amazing game. So so so great. Awesome music, fantastic artstyle and animations, great characters and twists that really made me want to play more and more (although I did see one of the bigger twists coming from miles away).
Missile was so great <3 that little valiant doggy.

Gvaz said:
I keep hearing this compared to AA, is it by the same people, or is the format of the game similar?

Same people, same genre, same sound effects, different gameplay. IMO, it blows everything else Takumi has done out of the water.

NEO0MJ

Just finished the game, awesome. Not sure if I like the story more than the AA series, but the gameplay is much better. Hail Missile!

AniHawk said:
that said, the game felt like it ran a little long,

Maybe they went that way considering that the game has no replay value.

Top Bottom