• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ghost Trick: Phantom Detective |OT| Spoiler: The Main Character Dies

Heart Attack said:
BUMP. Just a heads up, the game is $15 at amazon. Just ordered my copy.

FFFFFFFFFF I just got this on wednesday. Way to make me feel bad just before I was gonna post about how I loved it.

Also I don't quite say I'd want a sequel since I think it basically ended nicely, but i'd like another game with a similar gameplay concept.

Mzo

I was waiting for an iOS release for my 2nd playthrough but that doesn't seem to be happening anytime soon? I stopped hearing news about it.

Played it again on my DSi XL and it's still soooooo good. I love it.

I also don't want a sequel, but go go go Capcom original IPs with innovative systems!

Edit: Never mind, someone already beat me to posting the Amazon sale. Good to know it's been on sale for awhile though, I can't afford it at the moment due to spending a ton of money on Star Fox and Bit.Trip, but if it's still at this price in a week or so I'll definitely be picking it up finally.

Thinking about picking this up at Amazon for 15 or 16... played that demo for about 5 seconds on Gamespot and was pretty interested. Don't need to be spending money, but looks like a bad ass game. .

Alex

I just started this tonight. Just a bit in, great concept but a bit meekly executed thus far, hope it steps up. Really amazing animation though and great art and charm.

I went ahead and swapped my 3DS out for a DSi XL (which I'm convinced is the holy grail at the moment) so I'm sort of on a DS game kick since I really lapsed on the back half of it's life. I'm really in an adventure game mood for some reason, so I'll likely chew through this quick.

Okay so I beat the game and IT WAS AWESOME.

Still one thing is bugging me.
Parallel timeline Missile says that he started off with Swap powers and then gained low level object manipulation. So...how did he go back in time?

Crewnh said:

Parallel timeline Missile says that he started off with Swap powers and then gained low level object manipulation. So...how did he go back in time?
Wasn't it something along the lines of "Through sheer willpower!"? I could be wrong though.

Bjoern the Smexy said:
Wasn't it something along the lines of "Through sheer willpower!"? I could be wrong though.
For a game with such tight writing and consistent internal logic, that seems kind of off.

OMG Aero

Crewnh said:

I thought it was just a case of
him using the four minutes before death time travel, which Missile was shown to use when he first saved Kamila.

OMG Aero said:
I thought it was just a case of
him using the four minutes before death time travel, which Missile was shown to use when he first saved Kamila.
Oh yeah. My bad then.

So the only thing that's
unique about Sissel is that he can travel through phone lines.

So it goes like this:

Sissel (Object manipulation, 4 minutes before death time travel, phone line travel)
Missle (Object swapping, 4 minutes before death time travel, low level object manipulation)
Yoimel (Body possession, vast and multiple object manipulation, uh I guess body was indestructible)

so the ios US version isn't coming?

they already have the localization and the port on jp app store.

After picking up Another World. I now want to replay this on my iphone lol.

mmxzero

zigg said:
I liked the idea of The Continuing Adventures of Sissel and Missile too but really, this one stands very well on its own. I don't particularly think it's a travesty if it doesn't qualify for a sequel; though it would be one if its sales meant Capcom's done greenlighting new concepts in that vein.

I guess by sequel I didn't really mean more Sissle and Missile, but meant along the lines of all new story, characters, and ghost tricks. Either way I'd be all over it.

GSR

Alex said:
I just started this tonight. Just a bit in, great concept but a bit meekly executed thus far, hope it steps up. Really amazing animation though and great art and charm.

It really does; when I got the game at first I played a few chapters then put it down for like three weeks. Then I started playing again around spring break and couldn't put it down.

With regards to a sequel, I agree a sequel with a (mostly?) new cast would be alright, but I'm not sure how they could build a typical sequel off this game.

woxel1

Heart Attack said:
BUMP. Just a heads up, the game is $15 at amazon. Just ordered my copy.
This was probably one of the best pieces of advice I ever followed on the GAF. Ghost Trick was simply awesome and deserves all the love it can get.

Goon Boon

Banned
GSR said:
It really does; when I got the game at first I played a few chapters then put it down for like three weeks. Then I started playing again around spring break and couldn't put it down.

With regards to a sequel, I agree a sequel with a (mostly?) new cast would be alright, but I'm not sure how they could build a typical sequel off this game.

Well the story allows for that. Since
anyone who dies near the meteor gets ghost trick powers, since Sissel has the meteor in his cat body now, anyone that dies near them gets ghost powers. Just have Sissel be near someone when they die, and bam, Ghost Trick 2!

OMG Aero

Crewnh said:
Oh yeah. My bad then.

So the only thing that's
unique about Sissel is that he can travel through phone lines.

So it goes like this:

Sissel (Object manipulation, 4 minutes before death time travel, phone line travel)
Missle (Object swapping, 4 minutes before death time travel, low level object manipulation)
Yoimel (Body possession, vast and multiple object manipulation, uh I guess body was indestructible)
Yeah,
old Missile specifically says that his inability to use the phone lines was what stopped him from changing anything. It took him too long to get from place to place by just going from object to object and there were some places he just couldn't go to doing this.

Well, finished this up. Was totally worth the 15 or 16 dollars I paid. Hell, it came in the mail and I had already forgotten about it. I popped it in right away because I had *just* finished Apollo Justice (also awesome). Immediately was taken by the music (I so dig it) and the general graphic style. I had played the demo for about five seconds on GAmespot, I knew it was going to be tight. And it was! One thing that really kicks ass is how retro this music sounds. I almost felt waves of Vectorman (of all things, guess it's the electronic sound some tracks have) nostalgia there for a little bit... love it love it.

A bit linear in the puzzle design, most situations are pretty obvious with small room for error (Let's look at this. Let's try that. etc). Liked the twists, some were predictable some weren't, wish some other elements were more fleshed out, like
the goons/kidnappers/eyebrow fellow
. But maybe in the future. This game slipped under my radar completely so I'm glad I came across it.

What excites me the most is how much this modern adventure genre is getting. This was a favorite style of mine on the PC years ago, so I'm glad to see games like this flourish, or at least come out to begin with. Hell, I, for some insane reason, thought that 999 game was a Persona title. I must have been misreading this whole time but now that title is on my list.

Either way, if you are on the edge or are into graphic adventure games you should definitely give Ghost Trick a shot. As of this post it's still just 15 dollars at Amazon, with prime. Consider this, I ordered it Wednesday, it came Friday, I beat it Saturday. Addictive and gripping, that's what's up. Great game.

Articalys

Picked this up last week after the price wars had knocked it down to $17.xx. Just finished the game now and enjoyed it, especially when the story kicks into high gear and the plot revelations really start coming at you. Some of the puzzles got a little close to trial-and-error, but it was never overly frustrating, and even the few hints they gave now and then weren't too hand-holdy. Liked most the characters as well, though
I do agree that a few of the side characters are kinda throwaway
. Also, the music is awesome.

I can definitely feel a lot of the elements that were brought over from Ace Attorney, mostly in dialogue and character reactions. I think I still like that series more though, mostly due to having played through five games with that cast.

qq more

Bought the game off Amazon for 15 dollars earlier this week and finished it on Friday. That game was really great, as I should expect from the writer of the Ace Attorney series. Although some of the things were a bit unclear to me. But anyways, I really hope a sequel happens, I'd get that Day 1.

Does anyone have any idea how much it sold in the Japan and US regions?

sonicmj1

I'm so glad I picked this up from Amazon for $15. I had a great time playing through it. The puzzles are generally rather straightforward given the limited set of what you can interact with, but the solution remained fun to discover throughout, and I loved the ways the game kept upping the ante on what you had to do. And I liked how the mechanics of the puzzles fit together very tightly with what happens in the story.

I got to think it through before the last few chapters, and I'm glad I figured out the twist at the end with
cat Sissel, and where he came from. I thought they showed that off well enough without making it blatantly obvious. But I thought the Ray reveal, and everything that came with it, felt somewhat contrived. Not a big deal, because it's more Missile, but whatever.

Playing this after playing 999 earlier in the year, it was great to see two games with different styles that told a story in a unique way using the DS as a medium.

I just started playing this a few days ago, about 2 hours in, I'm loving it so far! Are there any other games that are super unique like this? I know professor layton and phoenix wright, anything else?

TSAGoodness said:
I just started playing this a few days ago, about 2 hours in, I'm loving it so far! Are there any other games that are super unique like this? I know professor layton and phoenix wright, anything else?
There's 999, but it's a LOT more text-based than GT.

Ghost Trick is certainly one of my favorite DS games. The dialogue sold me within the first hour and I was already laughing at the jokes and wrapped up in the mystery. The puzzle-solving gameplay seemed like a very unique way for an adventure game to progress as well.

For about $15-ish dollars, it's more than worth trying.

TSAGoodness said:

Along with the mentioned 999, you might enjoy Hotel Dusk. It's more of a straitforward adventure game, but with some extremely likable characters and good music.

MNC

Just thinking back on how the story developed and how you got the one big
finale ending with the meteor. Wasn't too pleased with cat sissel reveal but it's really clever. Love the game and it stands high high high on my rankings.

Octorockin' said:
Along with the mentioned 999, you might enjoy Hotel Dusk. It's more of a straitforward adventure game, but with some extremely likable characters and good music.
Oh yes.
Also, Kyle Hyde is probably one of the best characters of the generation.
If you like it you might also want to try the sequel, Last Window.

Boney

Banned
7f7moky

Izayoi

Banned
Gravijah said:
major spoilers about the ending etc

the cat is a girl, right?
I just beat it ten minutes ago, and yes, it is made ABUNDANTLY clear that is the case.

I think some people might be a little hazy on it, but there is no doubt. Play the chapter again, and pay close attention to what
Yomiel
says.

Fucking amazing game, by the way.

Cool artwork, Boney. I find Missile's expression amusing.

Izayoi said:
I just beat it ten minutes ago, and yes, it is made ABUNDANTLY clear that is the case.

I think some people might be a little hazy on it, but there is no doubt. Play the chapter again, and pay close attention to what
Yomiel
says.

What does Yomiel say? I thought Sissel was a dude cat!

Izayoi said:

Yomiel
says.

It's ambiguous, but the consensus seems to be
male. Naming a cat after your fiance doesn't mean anything, especially when Sissel is a gender neutral name in the first place. Yomiel says nothing that proves the gender either way.

manueldelalas

Time Traveler
Finally finished this game, and all I have to say about it is that: IT'S AWESOME!

Missile is by far the best animal character I've seen in a VG period; not just your random talking animal, but he actually feels like a dog. Now I understand all of the gaffers that have it on their avatar =P.

The ending was full of fuck, but it explained the story completely, and it was awesome, this game could have been a huge failure, but the writing is incredible, and the plot is just great, it keeps you reading until the very last.

Really great game, will vote for it (along other games) for GOTY, just to see it mentioned =P. This and 999 are probably some of the best adventure games ever made. I'm trying to track down The Last Window, hope it doesn't disappoint.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
Just started playing this game, made it to chapter 5... holy shit this is really good so far. The animations are fantastic and I love the characterizations. Great without being excessively "quirky" (for lack of a better term). Missile is great, love the character design. Really looking forward to getting home and playing more tonite...

Shiggy

So I'm in chapter 15 now, it's a really enjoyable title you can play over the weekend. While I only played Apollo Justice from the Ace Attorney series, I must admit that Ghost Trick is a much better title. I really hope that there'll be more titles like this than further AA games.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
Are they significantly different? I just liked absolutely nothing about Apollo Justice, neither the gameplay nor the story, not even the characters.

The Phoenix Wright games are infinitely more enjoyable than Apollo Justice in terms of story and characters.

Top Bottom