• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ghost Trick: Phantom Detective |OT| Spoiler: The Main Character Dies

Just finished Ghost Trick last night and the only word that springs to mind is "Wow". Phoenix Wright is one of my all time favourite games, but I actually feel Ghost Trick just edges it out. The story, music and writing remained flawless throughout, but I feel the animation was the real standout point. I can't put my finger what it was I loved about the way the characters moved, but it gave them a lot of personality.

I will say that I was a little disappointed by the ending though.
Sissel turning out to be a cat just didn't seem right and I also didn't like how the time limit was just a lie. I was hoping for it to end either with Sissel fading away after performing one last fate change, or regaining his body at the last moment.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
Finished this one today and I enjoyed it greatly, they managed to create something special here and I can say it met my expectations. The plot hmm, it worked and I appreciate how well they dealt with many of the themes. I can see myself playing it again in the future knowing every twist but I'm unsure if this will make me like it more or less. A few things kept taking me out of the experience after a certain part, mostly because I couldn't buy into Jowd's motivations, (
all of his decisions regarding the death of his wife felt super contrived, between other things
).

The animation is GORGEOUS and the music is awesome too. Gameplay-wise it was very fun but
the swap ability
was heavily underused. I hope we get a sequel one day that expands on everything.

aktham said:
Amazing game! It was confusing near the end, but an amazing experience nonetheless.

finished, & agreed - my new #1 response to anyone asking 'can someone recommend a truly unique, beautifully produced, really well-written, funny-as-hell game?'...

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
Well for whatever reason I didn't even know about this game. I was always seeing pictures of that stupid looking dog that makes me lol.

I was thinking about picking up the game. What's the cheapest that this game has been? It's in my gold box for $26.59.

Trojita

Well the game just dropped in price on Amazon so I got it for the cool amount of $22 plus some change.

giggas

Finished this game a few nights ago and really loved it. I think my only real beef with the game itself is that it could have used a rewind mechanic. Sure it has check points when you change fate, but it was a drag skipping through certain dialogue and repeating steps I've already done countless times. Other than that the puzzles were really clever and when they introduced the
Missile swap mechanic
I was kind of blown away. Wasn't expecting them to shake up the game so much toward the end.

The ending was pretty wild, I love the reveal
that Sissle was a cat the entire time. I thought it made sense with the character too, with him not being able to read or understand certain human concepts.
The only thing I didn't like about the story is that I wish the Ghost Tricks
were not explained. I was perfectly fine accepting the fact that the ghosts had special powers just because they were dead and ghosts. The meteor stuff explaining it was kind of like explaining the force in Episode 1.
But whatever, I still loved the whole thing anyway.

Oh, and dat music

A Dashing Enigma - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rdwy8-NqHPI
Trauma - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6jb8Mn8yliY
Fate Update - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8hw63HniDWE
Lynn's Theme - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w6xMvGbwT7I
Jowd's Theme - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gel5FoP5WF8

All soooo good.

Riposte

IMO, one of the best atmospheres in a videogame. Story/Music/Visuals are outstanding and doesn't overstay its welcome. It would really suck if someone had spoiled even one song or plot detail of the game for me. Plus the mechanics were good enough that I never felt it was a chore(which I can't say for most puzzle or adventure games).

EDIT: Missile is the best videogame dog of ALL TIME

ALL TIME

faridmon

Finished it last week. Thought the script was amazing, the Animation and the story was likewise good. However, the ending felt a bit contrieved
Sissel being a cat and the Lamps background story was just not as well told and imaginitive as I was led to bellieve
The gameplay was great and was the only game I actually enjoyed repeating after a failure.

my GOTY for sure.

Nickovic

LozL3.jpg

FUCK YEAH

Tizoc

Riposte said:
EDIT: Missile is the best videogame dog of ALL TIME

ALL TIME
WELCOME.jpg

The game has some of the BEST animation using CGI/3D models I've seen to date, it's much like rotroscoping (sp).

giggas

Tizoc said:
The game has some of the BEST animation using CGI/3D models I've seen to date, it's much like rotroscoping (sp).

Are they 3D models? Whatever they are the animation was impressive as hell. I got the impression it was rotoscoped. Well, not rotoscoped in the traditional sense of drawing over live action, but at least positioning the parts over what would be live footage.

Well however it was done, it was awesome.

Veal

I just beat this recently. Holy shit, the Phoenix Wright team does it again. Missile is the best! So endearing. And how the HELL did they pull off those animations?! You can tell a lot of love went into this game!

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
giggas said:
Are they 3D models? Whatever they are the animation was impressive as hell. I got the impression it was rotoscoped. Well, not rotoscoped in the traditional sense of drawing over live action, but at least positioning the parts over what would be live footage.

Well however it was done, it was awesome.
The game had the characters as 3D Masters, they converted the models into sprites to put onto the DS. The nice thing about that is that if they port the game, and don't loose the models, they can just rerender the sprites.

They just gave the models really great animations, wonder if they captured people really moving, or just had some great animators.

giggas

Drkirby said:
The game had the characters as 3D Masters, they converted the models into sprites to put onto the DS. The nice thing about that is that if they port the game, and don't loose the models, they can just rerender the sprites.

They just gave the models really great animations, wonder if they captured people really moving, or just had some great animators.

Okay cool.

I'm going to assume most of the animation was captured, but some of it was probably hand animated (like the really over the top animation). But yeah, animation in this game was tops. So well done. Blows away nearly all the animation I've seen even in huge big budget games, which kind of isn't saying much since they're generally animated like shit to begin with.

giggas

Trojita said:
His name is Missile?

:lol

How can you sit here and continue to make fun of Missile when you have an avatar such as yours? Surely you understand the greatness of it, and if not, you will when it arrives.

Cheska

giggas said:
How can you sit here and continue to make fun of Missile when you have an avatar such as yours? Surely you understand the greatness of it, and if not, you will when it arrives.

Wait, are you trying to say Missile was a corgi? I was pretty positive he was a Pomeranian this whole time.

EDIT: Didn't see the post right above me -_-

giggas

Cheska said:
Wait, are you trying to say Missile was a corgi? I was pretty positive he was a Pomeranian this whole time.

EDIT: Didn't see the post right above me -_-

I'm just saying he clearly knows a great dog when he sees one. Hahaha.

Trojita

My comments directed at Missile :)lol) are terms of endearment. I always wanted to know what he was from, I thought he was in an anime or something. He just looks so stupid (term of endearment) that it makes me laugh.

Skilletor

So I picked this up because of the thread about games with good animation.

Not very far in, just past the first area. Holy shit is this game awesome. OMG the animation is so good!

Loving this on the DSi XL screen.

I picked this up over the weekend, and finished it the same weekend. Gotta love those long holidays.

Anyway, I loved the gameplay and puzzle solving. The animation was a real treat and pleasure to watch, just constantly impressive and enjoyable.

I thought that everything was pretty good, up until the stuff with Ray's backstory. Just a serious down note to end it on.

It was like listening to a symphony and then just as soon as the orchestra finishes, you hear the conductor let rip with a massive fart.

Sectus

Just completed the game a couple of days ago. Super super good. My only complaint is that there weren't enough really complex puzzles. I got the impression they tried to hold back to avoid players being frustrated. But still, the puzzles were still fun. The animations is what got my attention on the game, as it reminded me a lot of the style used in games like Flashback, Prince of Persia and a few others. I really REALLY hope the game gets a sequel. And I wouldn't mind seeing ports to bigger platforms so the artwork can be shown in all its glory.

Anyway, I'm very disappointed in this thread! With all the amazing animations in the game, I'd expect the thread to be filled with them. I guess I'll have to try to fill that void. Here's a couple I ripped (second one is kinda useless if you have a white background though).

sniper-donut.gif

kamila-getphones.gif

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
I remember being really excited about this game during gameplay, when it was over however my high opinion of it quickly stagnated. Animations were on another level tho and I'd very much welcome a sequel with a different story unrelated to the characters

GSR

Enjoyed the hell out of this game; I think tonally it felt a lot like the first time I played through the first Phoenix Wright game. Wacky in the best possible way, while still having some real seriousness below the surface. It's just a shame it sold so poorly.

Utako

Banned
I'm a little pissed that the story ends up being the tale of
a dog and cat super-duo saving humans

If that weren't a twist, and they had marketed the game as such, I never would have bought it.

I'm probably not going to be interested in a sequel if that is the focus!

Regardless, one of the finest games on DS, or any system this gen.

MNC

Wow oh wow oh wow oh WOW. I finished it. FUCKING. HELL. That was one amazing story. I was in the train while I was going through the final few chapters and I just couldn't let go.
Cat Sissel took me by surprise because as usual I just keep getting suckered in by the story and don't think ahead alot. The whole Sissel doppelganger thing already completely spooked me and I went completely crazy, I just wanted to shout out "Fuck, this game is awesome!"

Every single character in this game has its charm and lovable in its own way.

Old Missile with the whole "Dogs do that for their masters!" was an easy emotional part but it still caught me by surprise.

What I first thought, when they went back in time 10 years, was that they would save Yomiel, and every path would change completely. They would all forget about eachother and everything that happened and Sissel would cease to exist by morning, but saved the people he loved. If that would happen I would break down completely lol. Sort of glad they could make it a happy ending though. Wow. Just wow.

WOW.

darkvir

Just started playing this after I got bored of DQVI. Man is it awesome!

I'm very impressed by the animation, presentation & the very interesting characters.

So far Ch 4....

Just finished Ghost Trick tonight. What a great game. I purchased this for the gameplay and animation but it was the story that really hooked me.

Missile is the best.

I really wish I could wipe my mind of this game and play it again.

I really envy people who haven't played this yet but want to, they will get to experience an amazing little video game. Easily in the running for my Game of the Year.

Boney

Banned
timetokill said:
I picked this up over the weekend, and finished it the same weekend. Gotta love those long holidays.

Anyway, I loved the gameplay and puzzle solving. The animation was a real treat and pleasure to watch, just constantly impressive and enjoyable.

I thought that everything was pretty good, up until the stuff with Ray's backstory. Just a serious down note to end it on.

It was like listening to a symphony and then just as soon as the orchestra finishes, you hear the conductor let rip with a massive fart.
How can you hate time travel and missile's absolute dedication to it's master

heartless monster

you have such crappy taste that raichu agrees with you. Sit on that.

mmxzero

Saw this thread pop and instantly felt the need to echo the praise everyone gives Ghost Trick in here. Bought it a month ago and was hooked until the end! Awesome game, definitely on of the DS's best. Going to recommend it to all the DS owners I know.

It's a damn shame someone said it sold poorly, as I would buy a sequel in a heartbeat.

zigg

mmxzero said:
It's a damn shame someone said it sold poorly, as I would buy a sequel in a heartbeat.

I liked the idea of The Continuing Adventures of Sissel and Missile too but really, this one stands very well on its own. I don't particularly think it's a travesty if it doesn't qualify for a sequel; though it would be one if its sales meant Capcom's done greenlighting new concepts in that vein.

Top Bottom