• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ghostbusters: Afterlife trailer

Love it! Looks down right amazing and I’m glad they didn’t show the original characters in the trailer. Tease them a bit more for hype levels. Also I figured the kid would be a Spengler.

#Phonepunk#

Banned
looks cool. no "the power of Patty compels you" crap

personally don't need to see the fat old OG cast for this. just give us a good movie.

nice that Shandor sign? that was the guy who started the Gozer cult from the first film, right?

ManaByte

Gold Member
Meh, nothing too exciting. "Ghostbuster but with teens!!" does about as much for me as "Ghostbusters but with women!!!".
And having the same kid that wasn't just in Stranger Things but, also IT, just makes it look all the more generic.

But they’re Spenglers.

Looks a lot better than Ghostbusters 2016.
SWYrcFH.jpg

Mato

So there is a pacific rim and ghosts come out of it and terrorize the simple folk. But I can't get into the setting. I don't give a shit cornfields. And there's too much sunlight. Needs more 80s neon lights and smoky back alleys. And that green light coming out the hill looks just like the ending to Paranorman. Is the final boss a lamey witch? I bet it is.

Bryank75

Banned
Holy shit just saw this, really reminds me of ET, Standby me and Super 8. Which is nice, we don't get many of those films anymore.

I was just thinking that we never get films like My Girl or the Adams Family either. It's all dominated by Disney now...they are good at what they do but there is space for so much more.

DeceptiveAlarm

Gold Member
Does anyone have this not on youtube? My work blocks every video on youtube.

NVM went out side and watched on data.
This isn't what I wanted but I will watch it 3 times before I watch Bridemaids with ghosts again.

Last edited:

Cravis

That looks amazing.

Wondering if the earthquakes are from a containment unit Egon had hidden away in the mine that is going bad and will eventually blow?

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Doesn't change the fact that it's "Ghostbuster but with teens".
While it does give that impression, I'm sure the OG Ghostbusters and probably Paul Rudd will step in to deal with the actual ghosts
Notice you don't actually see them walking around with those proton packs?
Because they weigh a ton.
Hence the gunner sit with the youngest.
I'm guessing the ecto1 part is a good 40min in the film
I have a feeling we won't see the OG team until well over a hour into the film.
They saving the good stuff.
This looks good if it's going where I think it's going.

Fbh

While it does give that impression, I'm sure the OG Ghostbusters and probably Paul Rudd will step in to deal with the actual ghosts
Notice you don't actually see them walking around with those proton packs?
Because they weigh a ton.
Hence the gunner sit with the youngest.
I'm guessing the ecto1 part is a good 40min in the film
I have a feeling we won't see the OG team until well over a hour into the film.
They saving the good stuff.
This looks good if it's going where I think it's going.

If you are right then I can see it being enjoyable and I'd give it chance.

Based on the trailer though (at least IMO) it just looks like some executives saw the success of Stranger Things and IT and were like "we can do something like this with the Ghostbusters IP!, we can even hire the same kid!"

HotPocket69

Banned
Cant stand that little Finn Wolfhard shit. He isn’t a good actor whatsoever. Sucks that he’s become the face for these 80s nostalgia trip movies and TV shows. Hurry up and start doing hardcore drugs already.

Totally reminds me of the kid who sang the “Just Wanna Play Videogames” song

ManaByte

Gold Member
If you are right then I can see it being enjoyable and I'd give it chance.

Based on the trailer though (at least IMO) it just looks like some executives saw the success of Stranger Things and IT and were like "we can do something like this with the Ghostbusters IP!, we can even hire the same kid!"

No it’s the son of the director of the first two movies trying to salvage the franchise from the 2016 disaster.

plushyp

Too much of a focus on the kids which is what I was afraid of given what I heard. Not very excited tbh but Carrie and Paul being in it does help.

longdi

Banned
Im not sure about the kids. Hard to associate them with the type of dry humor GB was about. Trailer was missing some. I bet Antman gets possessed and become the bad guy.

Even so, looks way better than the slapshtick woke crap GB2016.

Old trailers for comparions. That GB2016 moment.... falls way off the cliff...

Last edited:

GreyHorace

Ok... that looks intriguing. It's at least taking the supernatural elements a bit more seriously and there's an air of mystery regarding what happened to Egon and the rest of the gang. My only complaints is that it's going for more of a Stranger Things and Goonies feel rather than Ghostbusters and not much comedy to be seen.

But it looks way better than the shitty 2016 reboot. So that's a plus I guess? Wonder what James Rolfe will think of this?

Fret Runner

There's a terror dog that steps on the car? (at 1:59)
Guess we'll be seeing the Stay-puft man aswell then, since Slimer is there also.

Sticking with my prediction frrom the other thread, the OG guys won't be in this till the end, where they will appear and save the day with one of those "oh no, the good guys have lost. what ever shall they do" moments. Maybe from out of nowhere you suddenly hear a "sick em, Ray" and hey, maybe someone will ask Ray if he's a god, and guess what?! he'll say yes this time and still get "then die" said to him.

As negative as I sound, I still hold hope that this will atleast be watchable unlike the 2016 trainwreck.
God damn it though, I wish Ray was in it from the start and interacting with the kids, not just some end of the movie cameo, which seems to be the case since we know the OG guys are in it.

All in all: still hopeful but still worried it's gonna be predictable and eyeroll inducing.
giphy.gif

GreyHorace

I'm more curious as to how the woke mob is going react to this. There'll be probably cries of "They should have made a sequel to the 2016 film!" or "How dare you only have one female character!"

Etc etc. It'll probably be the usual whining and sperging we've come to expect from that lot.

#Phonepunk#

Banned
The original cast is old as fuck. The need to be used minimally at this point. That's why this should have been made at least ten years ago.
i mean there is a shot of the original cast IN THEIR PHYSICAL PRIME in this trailer, so i don't even know what people are griping about.

people want to see a bunch of old people hobbling around? no thanks for me. seeing Indy again in Kingdom of the Crystal Skull and Solo again in The Force Awakens, i would have gladly traded those painful going-through-the-motion scenes for something original. i can't suspend my disbelief when i see that. i just go "Ah, Harrison Ford is looking old these days". if i want to see an old Bill Murray in GB uniform ill look at the shill promotional photos they did for the last movie.

the fact of Ramis's death renders any kind of onscreen reunion entirely pointless IMO.

Last edited:

GreyHorace

i mean there is a shot of the original cast IN THEIR PHYSICAL PRIME in this trailer, so i don't even know what people are griping about.

people want to see a bunch of old people hobbling around? no thanks for me. seeing Indy again in Kingdom of the Crystal Skull and Solo again in The Force Awakens, i would have gladly traded those painful going-through-the-motion scenes for something original.

the fact of Ramis's death renders any kind of onscreen reunion entirely pointless IMO.
Crystal Skull I can understand, but I thought Harrison Ford was the best part of The Force Awakens. It looked like he was having fun at least. And it probably helped that he knew it would be last we see of Han Solo.

ManaByte

Gold Member
Crystal Skull I can understand, but I thought Harrison Ford was the best part of The Force Awakens. It looked like he was having fun at least. And it probably helped that he knew it would be last we see of Han Solo.

You sure about that? (Not referring to Solo)

Last edited:

mcjmetroid

Right so they're CLEARLY going for a stranger things vibe

it's probably too serious for its own good though. Ghostbusters was a comedy - almost a piss take of monster movies.

On the hand other I am glad they're trying something new.

Top Bottom