• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ghostbusters III... it's REALLY happening this time

Status
Not open for further replies.

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
freethought said:
And they be slow.

yeah!

louis-tully.jpg

Sanjuro

we're the best, we're the beautiful, we're the only...Ghostbusters.

I I I I I I I I aint afraid of no ghost. ghostbustas

smokeymicpot

Beat EviLore at pool.
This movie won't be good with out Bill. Having a new Ghostbusters crew I wouldn't like at all. The fun of the movie would be seeing how all of them changed yet they are still fighting ghosts somehow. Rick also needs to be in the movie too some how.

Nekofrog

Banned
Your Honor, ladies and gentleman of the audience, I don't think it's fair to call my clients frauds. Sure, the blackout was a big problem for everybody. I was trapped in an elevator for two hours and I had to make the whole time. But I don't blame them. Because one time, I turned into a dog and they helped me. Thank you.

... SO many good lines in this movie.

MisterHero

I think you guys are making a big mistake. I do mostly tax law and probate stuff occasionally. I got my law degree at night school.

plasmasd

I recently played the Ghostbusters game, and absolutely loved it. It WAS Ghostbusters 3, the magic was still very much there. This move will be like Ghostbusters 4.

Bill Murray is fantastic in the game, and made me smile all the way through. You cannot make a Ghostbusters film without him.

Nekofrog said:
Your Honor, ladies and gentleman of the audience, I don't think it's fair to call my clients frauds. Sure, the blackout was a big problem for everybody. I was trapped in an elevator for two hours and I had to make the whole time. But I don't blame them. Because one time, I turned into a dog and they helped me. Thank you.

... SO many good lines in this movie.

For the longest time, I thought Louis said "black guy", referring to Winston. :(

I actually feel bad about posting this, but it's going to come out sooner or later.

Supposedly Dane Cook claims that he's been approached for a role in the movie.

After publishing the piece and briefly engaging in short conversations with the commenters that trickled in to give their two cents, I presumed that the piece would eventually be filed away in the great Internet digital file cabinet and I moved on to 'new business'. That is, until the next day, when my laptop chimed to alert me to a new email from one Dane Cook –

I have been approached to do this film. I might go for it now just because you don't want me to. So there.

Extensive research by Shadowlocked’s loose collection of IT experts has proven to our satisfaction that the email is a legitimate and credible communiqué from Mr. Cook, which places it firmly in ‘Scoop’ territory.

stuminus3

Banned
Ray: Everything was fine with our system until the power grid was shut off by dickless here.

Walter Peck: They caused an explosion!

Mayor: Is this true?

Venkman: Yes it's true. This man has no dick.

When Bill Murray was on Howard Stern yesterday he made it sound like Ghostbusters time has passed and reading the script is nowhere near a priority for him. He didn't talk about it long but it might be worth listening to.

I would rather have a new Ghostbusters game. I loved the one that came out. This time I hope for a new enemy and some more GBII references and enemies. The GB game was more like a direct sequel to 1.

Morn

Banned
Harry Potter said:
When Bill Murray was on Howard Stern yesterday he made it sound like Ghostbusters time has passed and reading the script is nowhere near a priority for him. He didn't talk about it long but it might be worth listening to.

Actually it didn't sound like ANYTHING was a priority for him anymore.

B.K.

Why is everything depending on Bill Murray anyway? Just write him out of the story and make the movie without him.

Raistlin

B.K. said:
Why is everything depending on Bill Murray anyway? Just write him out of the story and make the movie without him.
jokepost?

That's only slightly less ridiculous than continuing two-and-a-half men without Sheen.

B.K.

The story will probably focus on the new Ghostbusters anyway. Murray's involvement isn't necessary. They can make it without him.

bh7812

Banned
The last I heard of the movie last Fall, Reitman was aiming to start shooting in May. If that's still his goal, all the pieces need to come together soon. Already almost to March! But it sounds like if that's gonna happen it depends heavily on Murray reading and approving the script.

Cheerilee

I don't really like the idea of passing the torch to a whole new team of Ghostbusters, nor do I like the idea of introducing just one new young character. I think they'd need to introduce two new Ghostbusters, because I think that's enough to realistically establish a bigger young team forming in the future.

The most obvious new Ghostbuster candidate would be Oscar, who (as mentioned) could be perfect with someone like James Franco. NOT Shia the Beef or Jack Black. Peter Venkman and Dana should be together by now, and Oscar loses a stepfather when Venkman dies (which seems like a given since Bill Murray wants to be killed off).

The second new Ghostbuster would have to be someone close to Oscar, and I think a girlfriend would be an easy pick for that position. Just have Oscar somewhat cool on the idea of hanging out with his parents and their weird friends, and the girlfriend pushes him to participate, because it's so much more fun than her own boring home life. A buddy instead of a girlfriend I think would be harder to write and easier to screw up, but if they can do that properly I'd let them have three new Ghostbusters.

Of course, I probably shouldn't dream too much.

AniHawk

if bill murray returns, and he's going to be killed off/a ghost (which is what he wants and probably the only way we'll see him at all in ghostbusters iii), i'm guessing venkmann's death will be the reason why the ghostbusters decide to get new recruits. either it's the film's antagonist that kills him off (probably indirectly, like how the demon dogs were more prominent and we didn't know they served gozer until the end of ghostbusters), or he just dies of natural causes. then there will be an 80s training montage and the end of the movie will have both old and new ghostbusters teaming up to defeat the big bad. i predict it will be about twenty minutes long if everything goes as planned.

randomwab

ruby_onix said:
I don't really like the idea of passing the torch to a whole new team of Ghostbusters, nor do I like the idea of introducing just one new young character. I think they'd need to introduce two new Ghostbusters, because I think that's enough to realistically establish a bigger young team forming in the future.

The most obvious new Ghostbuster candidate would be Oscar, who (as mentioned) could be perfect with someone like James Franco. NOT Shia the Beef or Jack Black. Peter Venkman and Dana should be together by now, and Oscar loses a stepfather when Venkman dies (which seems like a given since Bill Murray wants to be killed off).

The second new Ghostbuster would have to be someone close to Oscar, and I think a girlfriend would be an easy pick for that position. Just have Oscar somewhat cool on the idea of hanging out with his parents and their weird friends, and the girlfriend pushes him to participate, because it's so much more fun than her own boring home life. A buddy instead of a girlfriend I think would be harder to write and easier to screw up, but if they can do that properly I'd let them have three new Ghostbusters.

Of course, I probably shouldn't dream too much.

I like this. I want this film now.

NR1

Is Bill Murray starting to lighten-up and come around to doing GB3???

Perhaps, but not likely...

Murray was on David Letterman the other night and David brought up the subject yet again:

Bill Murray said:
"Well, that’s all that they wanted to know at Cannes, too. You know, you just gotta have a really good script. It’s hard. Even the second ‘Ghostbusters’ wasn’t as much fun for me as the first one. It’s hard to make a sequel. It’s gotta be really funny, and that first one was just so darn funny."

When pressed by Letterman to see if someone at least is working on a script, Murray hedges his bets.

"Well, I think … we’ll try again. I always drag my feet on it."

YouTube Video

This interview is much more positive than Bill's last remarks on Letterman in 2011. Going from "its my nightmare" and "crazy talk" to "we'll try again." Bill has always talked about "them and they" when referring to Ghostbusters 3, but this has to be the first time I have actually heard Bill say "we'll." Sounds like he is a part of the process, rather than a part.

You can tell he is starting to grow tired of this question, but honestly if people really didn't want a Ghostbusters 3, then they probably wouldn't ask him about it so often.

QUICK EDIT:

Forgot to mention that Ivan Reitman was talking GB3 and Bill Murray with IGN too:

IGN: Ghostbusters 3 has been long talked about, but it seems Bill Murray isn't very interested, or he's busy. If that didn't happen, would you still want to work with Bill Murray on another project?

Reitman: I would work with Bill any day of the week. [laughing] Any year. I really think he's one of the most talented people there is. I owe my career to him, frankly. You know, he has a reputation sometimes of being difficult to say 'yes,' but I think that's because he has very specific ideas of what he wants to do with his life, just like he did that summer when he was a total unknown and had no real prospects. He was still difficult to get on the movie, and has been on every one of our projects since, although we're very close on a personal level.

IGN: I recall reading, from either you or Dan Aykroyd, that he's been golfing a lot as opposed to doing movie projects recently. It's interesting to see that, even with Meatballs, that was basically what he wanted to do back then, too.

Reitman: [laughing] He's gotten to be very good golfer over the past 30 years.

IGN: Is there a hope he'll end up being in Ghostbusters 3?

Reitman: There's always a hope. But I don't know. We keep working on it. And I think some days he wakes up and thinks it would be fun to do that again, and some days he doesn't feel interested in it at all.

IGN: You gotta get him on one of those good days.

Reitman: [laughing] We hope so.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2012/06/08/from-meatballs-to-ghostbusters-3-ivan-reitman-talks

bengraven

That second video with him actually convinced me that I may buy the GB game for PC. I've heard it's shit, but knowing that Bill Murray was actually having fun doing it is different than I expected. I expected him to be so sick of doing it that he would be chewing scenery and bored and take me out of it.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
At this point I'm really thinking the way to continue the Ghostbusters franchise is with a generational reboot.

Don't try to drag the old cast into it, even for a cameo. Start off decades later, either with the Ghostbusters business continuing in new hands, or a new group of people restarting it from scratch. Respect the old continuity, insert references to the "guys who started it all", but leave it at that.

If done right there is much dramedy potential in that. It could be both funny and plausible to examine the world of Ghostbusters 30-40 years later, where the cosmic event of literal gods invading the world and being fought off, has caused society to dramatically change from what it is in reality today. In reality, the supernatural is scoffed at and there's little concrete data to back up paranormal researchers. So the paranormal is a pop culture phenomenon, a joke, a cartoon concept.

What would North America be like in Ghostbusters' world today? What if the paranormal wasn't sexy at all, or perversely wasn't scary either because it's freakin' mundane? What if the Ghostbusters were put out of business by busting becoming just another city service the government runs with taxpayer money?

There's so much weird stuff you could do with it rather than just drag retiring actors out to try and recreate the original films.

SmithnCo

That second video with him actually convinced me that I may buy the GB game for PC. I've heard it's shit, but knowing that Bill Murray was actually having fun doing it is different than I expected. I expected him to be so sick of doing it that he would be chewing scenery and bored and take me out of it.

It's actually not bad. Pretty cheap too probably, especially around Steam sales.

It relies on a lot of callbacks and the "villain" isn't interesting but it's pretty solid.

Depends on who the writing team is... It really does.

Yeah. It's weird that he didn't mention anyone by name. Not that this movie is really ever happening any way.

The inevitable conclusion is a reboot somewhere down the line with a whole new cast. And it has the same odds at being any good as a true sequel does, so whatever.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Reitman: There's always a hope. But I don't know. We keep working on it. And I think some days he wakes up and thinks it would be fun to do that again, and some days he doesn't feel interested in it at all.
It's more like he vacillates between thinking he absolutely wants nothing to do with a third movie to "I doubt there will ever be a satisfying script, but maybe."

Ghostbusters 3 will happen eventually, no matter what. For better or worse. As long as someone out there believes there's still milk to be squeezed from that old cow, there will be milking.

Ghostbusters 3 will happen eventually, no matter what. For better or worse. As long as someone out there believes there's still milk to be squeezed from that old cow, there will be milking.

There will be another Ghostbusters for sure, I really really doubt there will be a GB3 ever, though. Ghostbusters Begins.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom