• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GI article lists Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain as PS4/XBO, nothing confirmed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Creaking

He touched the black heart of a mod
ibomhNdnNqRgLK.gif

iGfLEJeVbvhAg.gif

If this is, what you say, how it is phrased on the GI article, this is false. The Phantom Pain is coming out on Xbox 360, Xbox One, PlayStation 3, and PlayStation 4.

Dunno how that got mixed up.

itIniAIMnbqTQ.gif

It hurts to live

I'm sorry to hear that?

Yay!! And Konami rep saves the day. Thanks for clarifying, now I can stop pouting. lol

Yeah, we just switched seats here and now I'm right next to the Metal Gear brand manager, constantly asking questions, I'm sure he will grow tired of me soon.

Pretty much everything surrounding these two games is confusing and mixed up.

And I'm here, hoping to keep the message straight. But seriously, can't figure out why this came out of that article the way it did... This has been known for a while (I think we had a press release at last E3 that outlined the consoles).

Koyuga

If this is, what you say, how it is phrased on the GI article, this is false. The Phantom Pain is coming out on Xbox 360, Xbox One, PlayStation 3, and PlayStation 4.

Ah, that's unfortunate. Well its good that more people get to play it, at least.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
Thank you for the whole clarification at least Konami rep :)

It seems like MGS2's predictions of misinformation in the digital age are coming true :p

Oh Tora, off-topic question, but is there any word physical copies of GZ/TTP for PS4? And if not, and I want to get a Japanese physical copy of GZ, might I expect it to be JPN language only?

Ahasverus

Tora Shiro strikes his hammer of truth again.
Now, if you could get to the Lords of Shadow 2 review thread, that would be very apreciate...

vpance

Cross gen? Seriously? Damn. I bet few people would pick up PS360 version in 2016 or whatever.

meanspartan

Ok well this balances out the disappointing news of them basically releasing a $30 demo....Glad to see the next full installment won't be shackled to the same common denominator as the last-gen Metal Gear Solid 4.

Eusis

Would've been nice to have it unrestrained by accomodating last gen hardware, but then this IS letting it be 60 FPS at least on PS4 as I recall so I guess it'll be a wash.

Though a mod really needs to get that topic name changed now.

Would've been nice to have it unrestrained by accomodating last gen hardware, but then this IS letting it be 60 FPS at least on PS4 as I recall so I guess it'll be a wash.

Though a mod really needs to get that topic name changed now.

Metal Gear Solid V is designed for current-gen hardware. I doubt canceling the current-gen version would unleash any sort of potential or anything like that... The only thing that would do is hurt sales.

squidyj

It really sucks that they're going to be spending development resources on ps3 and 360 versions. Would have loved to see them shoot for the moon on next gen.

Well this is a disappointment.

I don't see how this is an issue. You'll see in GZ how flexible FOX Engine is able to scale up.

Cross gen? Seriously? Damn. I bet few people would pick up PS360 version in 2016 or whatever.

There are 80 million PS3s in circulation worldwide. A lot of them in countries where the PS4 is either being released later or at a large price point. Kojima-san is the magic man, if anyone can make it look great on any platform... I believe in Kojimakaminandesu.

Tora Shiro strikes his hammer of truth again.
Now, if you could get to the Lords of Shadow 2 review thread, that would be very apreciate...

Shit man, not until the dust settles. I can't touch this with a 10-foot pole, even if I wanted to. All I can advise is don't let one review color your opinion. I'll eat crow if it scores across the board, but I'd rather take a wait and see approach. The game I played was not a 6/10. Obviously I'm not going to badmouth my employer nor undercut the integrity of the reviewer, but I don't share the sentiment.

Oh Tora, off-topic question, but is there any word physical copies of GZ/TTP for PS4? And if not, and I want to get a Japanese physical copy of GZ, might I expect it to be JPN language only?

Hells YES we got physical copies of GZ/TPP for PS4. I thought they were crazy when they said digital and totally pushed for disc copy. It's kind of bucking the digital future, but I like having something up on the shelf (as I assume you do). Don't know what region you are in but North America has GameStop/Amazon/BestBuy all set up with physical pre-order plus a few more (GZ, TPP doesn't have pre-order yet).

Accoun

Wasn't the gameplay from some (E3?) The Phantom Pain trailer made from last-gen assets but rendered in fullHD anyway? Or maybe was it that the difference between gens was just resolution (and frame count?)?
Anyway, when it comes to technicalities, there could be no advantage of skipping last gen because it's made as a cross-gen title. Maybe in development costs, but not more IMO...

MormaPope

Banned

Really? Awesome, thanks for the clarification. I've been wondering about this for about a year now. Thread title should be changed.

Banned
LOL!

Then why make Ground Zero for 360/ps3?

That being said, Huzzah for not being shackled to last generation consoles for the development of the new MGS.
To introduce it and expose it to an install base of 140 million who most of which will have moved to the PS4/XB1 by the release of TPP. The ones who enjoyed it will buy it.

Now nothing is holding back the game from being 1080p/60 :)

Caffeine

eternal sadness :'( i was planning to continue to support the ps3.
I dont need ps4 till FFXV and KH3

Banned
I don't see how this is an issue. You'll see in GZ how flexible FOX Engine is able to scale up.

There are 80 million PS3s in circulation worldwide. A lot of them in countries where the PS4 is either being released later or at a large price point. Kojima-san is the magic man, if anyone can make it look great on any platform... I believe in Kojimakaminandesu.

Shit man, not until the dust settles. I can't touch this with a 10-foot pole, even if I wanted to. All I can advise is don't let one review color your opinion. I'll eat crow if it scores across the board, but I'd rather take a wait and see approach. The game I played was not a 6/10. Obviously I'm not going to badmouth my employer nor undercut the integrity of the reviewer, but I don't share the sentiment.

Hells YES we got physical copies of GZ/TPP for PS4. I thought they were crazy when they said digital and totally pushed for disc copy. It's kind of bucking the digital future, but I like having something up on the shelf (as I assume you do). Don't know what region you are in but North America has GameStop/Amazon/BestBuy all set up with physical pre-order plus a few more (GZ, TPP doesn't have pre-order yet).
I love you

And I'm here, hoping to keep the message straight. But seriously, can't figure out why this came out of that article the way it did... This has been known for a while (I think we had a press release at last E3 that outlined the consoles).

I think it's something that has often been speculated since Kojima talking about the game being absolutely massive and taking a long time to make that by the time it is the PS4 will be "spread out." That and just the general confusion about MGSV, like how the E3 trailer included Ground Zeroes footage but the title was Phantom Pain... so people might have assumed the PS3/360 part represented Ground Zeroes only or that something had changed after the delay. There's the fact the Xbox 360 still uses DVDs too and whether that could really hold Phantom Pain or not.

All that said I don't know why GameInformer just assumed the plan for them to be on current gen had changed. In their defense, I guess they're all confused just like we are about everything. Like confronting Kojima in the interview about whether this is the coma Big Boss supposedly had in the first game during LET, when that was always a mistranslation and Peace Walker had scenes indicating it had already taken place.

Thanks for clearing things up! I have a question, though... How the hell does Game Informer get to spoil Ground Zeroes' story in a cover article that urges gamers to go out and pick the game up?

MavFan619

Banned
LOL!

Then why make Ground Zero for 360/ps3?

That being said, Huzzah for not being shackled to last generation consoles for the development of the new MGS.
Bummer for some, but I can't wait for cross gen to be on it's way out. NVM still looks like it's going to last gen.

Fuck.
Guess I got to buy another console now.
You know what, fuck it. Gonna play your game pretty late Kojima. Just gonna focus on Dark Souls and persona and forget you exist for a while.

RPGCrazied

Looks like a mod changed the title to nothing confirmed? A Konami rep said the brand manager says its coming to 360/PS3 as well, doesn't get more confirmed than that.

Uh, guys, read through the thread. Phantom Pain isn't next gen only.

Jesus... No lie. Blaming Kojima for the confusion surrounding MGSV is cool and all but sometimes we should take a look at ourselves.

EDIT:
I... Will have to see the article. This is news to me.

Thanks for your response. There's a paragraph that walks us through what they claim is Ground Zeroes' story. They talk about
the bomb being discovered, that the enemies counted on him finding it, and state "The resulting attack is presumably the incident that leads to Snake waking from a coma in a hospital nine years later, missing an arm."
They did not say that it was the entirety of the story, however, it seems like they're giving away quite a bit...

Jesus... No lie. Blaming Kojima for the confusion surrounding MGSV is cool and all but sometimes we should take a look at ourselves.

EDIT:

Thanks for your response. There's a paragraph that walks us through what they claim is Ground Zeroes' story. They talk about the bomb being discovered, that the enemies counted on him finding it, and state "The resulting attack is presumably the incident that leads to Snake waking from a coma in a hospital nine years later, missing an arm." They did not say that it was the entirety of the story, however, it seems like they're giving away quite a bit...

Hey, spoiler your GI spoiler please next time.

jsnepo

I'm not sure why this is good news at all. I was planning on getting the game for PS3. This game has been in development for many years now and I doubt the excuse of old hardware limiting the development is really applicable in here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom