• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GI.biz: Nintendo Switch sells 80,000 in the UK in its opening weekend

Illucio

Banned
Did better then GameCube

I have a feeling this is going to be the lifespan of the Switch better then the GameCube. But not much else.

NotLiquid

80k, double the Wii U at a non-holiday period and poor market presence, is a really pleasant surprise, and while it isn't sold out "literally everywhere" like PS4 and Wii was, there still seems to be an evident scarcity of the console. I could see it having reached higher performance if they increased available units but I can't imagine Nintendo are all that disappointed by these numbers. Sustaining them are what's going to be the hard part moving onward. They ought to be aggressively pushing Zelda as a Switch sales incentive in a market that hasn't adopted the Wii U that much. Hopefully it'll be enough, and hopefully Mario Kart 8 Deluxe and the breadth of eShop/indie titles will do it good before the next big flagship title comes out.

Also neat that Super Bomberman R charted respectably.

tzare

I'm not too sure about that. Wii U was already a failed console at that point. The hardware was too expensive and not very attractive. It only had terrible news sourrounding it.
And then they released a great Mario Kart for the system.

I'm not saying it will be THE system seller, but people tend to underestimate the appeal of a good Mario Kart. And we have a great one here a month after launch on a new and (so far) promising system.
It doesn't really matter that it's a port imo - we didn't make a graphics jump like PS2-3 or PS3-4 here. It looked good and still does appropriate to the hardware. And it has more content. This should be an everygreen seller.

Well, the Switch is expensive.. so who is the target for MK? Casuals, early adopters? It will sell well, but i doubt it will be a system seller.

axisofweevils

Holy crap! Today's real megaton is that more than two people can have the same first name.
Better than I expected considering its March and the UK economy is in the toilet right now due to brexit.

Beefy

Seems like it sold out at many major retailers according to the article, so I guess this is about the max it could do. Here's hoping it will maintain good sales in the coming weeks and months!

Not where I live. Game have loads of Switches and the local store near me had 20 just chilling. You can buy a Switch easily here.

Lexxism

Lmao, the thing was just released a few days ago and people are already talking how it will be dropped by retailers in a year time. Jesus Christ this forum sometimes.
Sometimes it's really hard to read stuff in this forum. So many console warriors. Even those threads that wasn't suppose to have one, it will suddenly become infested when 1 poster posted shit.

HotHamBoy

Sometimes it's really hard to read stuff in this forum. So many console warriors. Even those threads that wasn't suppose to have one, it will suddenly become infested when 1 poster posted shit.

What do you expect from a thread about sales numbers?

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
I'm not sure how much can MK8D drive up the demand for Switch. Is the crowd that would buy a Switch for a MK 8 remaster but wouldn't buy it for the best Zelda ever that big?

HotHamBoy

I'm not sure how much can MK8D drive up the demand for Switch. Is the crowd that would buy a Switch for a MK 8 remaster but wouldn't buy it for the best Zelda ever that big?

Probably there are people who don't feel the need to play Zelda immediately and will buy a Switch when more games are available.

Would like to see German numbers. The Switch sold out almost everywhere in my area, and lots of people in the store lining up for the next shipment at the retailers. It feels like Nintendo could have sold twice as much units here in Germany than they probably did.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
The Wii U apparently sold out at launch while the Switch definitely has not, so I don't think these numbers are great.
http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2012/11/uk_retailers_wii_u_is_sold_out

The original Wii could have doubled that number as well but for stock issues considering the demand at the time. The telling number is probably that the Switch is below the 3DS which was regarded as a lacklustre launch. It could definitely do with a price cut before christmas.
At 40k I doubt it did unless Nintendo barely bothered to ship any any or retailers barely bothered to order any.

tzare

Eeeeh.....MK is a LOT bigger than the best selling Zelda.

because appeals to a wider audience... but part of that audience is price sensitive so at current price i doubt switch is an option. Maybe when fisrt price drop or maybe bundled (300€ ?) considering is a port....

NotLiquid

Zelda is huge but it's never been Mario Kart huge. Now, I don't think Mario Kart 8 Deluxe will blow everyone's balls off and smash pie charts to pieces - it is a port after all - but it seems like it's got enough new content, as well as being on a much more appealing console, to be something of a minor sales boost, or at least a console sales sustaining game. It's a consequence free release for Nintendo to put out.

Cartho

Fairly decent numbers! Double Wii U and 10k more than 360 - that's perfectly reasonable.

PS4 and Xb1 were very very high because there had not been a new gen home console for 8 years. Switch is going into a market with very established, more powerful home consoles and mobile devices.

So I think 80k is a decent number. Not mind shattering but perfectly decent. Let's hope they can sustain it!

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
Not bad.

Kind of ironic its between Wii U and 3DS numbers. Many say its gonna sell more than Wii U and less than 3DS.

Bulby

Without knowing if it sold out, the number alone give us no information.

Wii only sold 105 000 and it was literally hard to find one in a shop in the UK for entire year after release.

DavidDesu

That poisoned well. I wonder if the UK will ever warm up to NIntendo "again" (as if they ever were^^).

UK is no standard to measure anything by when it comes to Nintendo sales :)

Well I have been put off Nintendo since forever and have only really owned a couple of consoles and I love my Switch already. Would like to have a better dock situation mind.. but I can see me playing this console a lot (mostly in handheld mode). Really hope it gets good support from everyone and indeed from Nintendo themselves. A wee price drop/bundle and the thing will become highly desirable for the masses.

D

Deleted member 284

Unconfirmed Member
Edit: also I expect lots of congratulations that it beat Wii u but it's supposed to be the 3DS successor.
Huh, Wii U console development is continuing? 😒

NotLiquid

Not bad.

Kind of ironic its between Wii U and 3DS numbers. Many say its gonna sell more than Wii U and less than 3DS.

It's usually been the safe bet considering how wide of a gap there is between the two. A much more appealing console than the Wii U with wider consumer appeal, but lacking the price/simplicity of the much more accessible 3DS. Gamecube numbers at minimum if they have the right software.

Rodin

Considering this is after Wii U brought Nintendo's relevance in UK almost to Xbox levels in Japan, i'd say it's a pretty positive result. Not groundbreaking, but a good start for sure. 3DS had a better launch but that came after their biggest and most successful console(s) ever and it was 50-60£ cheaper.

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
Not where I live. Game have loads of Switches and the local store near me had 20 just chilling. You can buy a Switch easily here.

where do you live? It'll be helpful for those who wants a Switch

Well, while MK8 sold well it didn't move many WiiUs. Personally, I didn't care much for MK8 compared to previous MK games, so I probably will not buy the Switch version.
Sold over 8 millions copies on a 13 million user base. Imagine if it had that portability?

faridmon

You can tell by just looking at someones post history.

I was baffled at someones post in regards to Zelda until I clicked on history posts and it seems that he just trolls the game in every thread.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
Eeeeh.....MK is a LOT bigger than the best selling Zelda.

I'm talking about the capacity of boosting the system sales of a remaster beyond the audience of Zelda BotW. MK8 already sold big numbers, but the boost for Wii U sales at MK8 launch was relatively limited.

Now Switch seems to be a much more attractive system than Wii U while being still quite pricey for the MK Wii and MK7 audience. So I guess we will see.

deleted

Well, the Switch is expensive.. so who is the target for MK? Casuals, early adopters? It will sell well, but i doubt it will be a system seller.

Lets agree to disagree then ;) I can see it being a solid system seller. Sure early adopter will buy it, but Zelda and MK might be enough to pull loads of/enough people towards the system besides early adopters.
IMO casuals won't come for a long time. Those aren't even on PS4/Xbox One yet.

Being a solid gaming system with attractive hardware and loads of alternatives to the (soon) 4k twins should be enough to lay out a solid userbase. It won't set the world on fire but I'd bet it will bridge the time to the first price cut/hardware iteration rather well.

Are we expecting Nintendo to view Switch as home console and handheld combined?
Or will they also release a new handheld thats only handheld?

If they view the Switch as a combination of the too, does that mean we will get the handheld franchises on Switch?
Does that even work? I figure production costs on Switch are much higher than on 3DS while install base will probably never catch up.

And what are their sales expectations? WiiU and 3DS combined sold close to 80 mil units and this generation was considered not that good for Nintendo.

But 80 mil still seems like a number Switch will never reach.

I just don't get Nintendos plan.

Alienous

If it isn't matching 3DS sales that has to be disappointing right? The Switch seemingly comes at the cost of a 3DS successor.

Are we expecting Nintendo to view Switch as home console and handheld combined?
Or will they also release a new handheld thats only handheld?

If they view the Switch as a combination of the too, does that mean we will get the handheld franchises on Switch?
Does that even work? I figure production costs on Switch are much higher than on 3DS while install base will probably never catch up.

And what are their sales expectations? WiiU and 3DS combined sold close to 80 mil units and this generation was considered not that good for Nintendo.

But 80 mil still seems like a number Switch will never reach.

I just don't get Nintendos plan.

Officially they view the Switch as a home console and are continuing to support the 3DS. They haven't ruled out a successor console to the 3DS.

That's a solid launch number. Did embarrass itself and much better than WiiU. Launch numbers are never indicative of success however but I think it's got its work cut out now. Beyond the core who have picked it up for Zelda it'll be a long slog till Xmas when (if) Mario launches and starts building some software in the run up. Xmas will be its real test.

NotLiquid

You mean like the DS and 3DS MK games had? It's nothing new.
Those versions of MK are in the Top 3 best selling iterations of the series, so if anything you're kind of proving his point that having a portable MK8 is a good business decision.

Top Bottom