• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #13 | good and faithful friends ahead

Status
Not open for further replies.
dan being the anti-patrick on twitter right now

Patrick
http://kotaku.com/konami-sucks-1702...m_source=Kotaku_Twitter&utm_medium=Socialflow

Dan
rl4UoeN.png

In fairness to Patrick, I don't think he compared Konami to Nazi Germany...

danm999

Oh man just listening to the Avalon debate on the Bombcast, poor Drew is blameless. Even if Dan couldn't see his thumb 100% from his angle, Drew doesn't know who Merlin is and wouldn't be able to cause that situation.

I'm a fan of Dan and like him on the Bombcast, but his now-recurring "I would vote for Arnold 2016 just because!" is honestly super frustrating.

I'm a fan of Dan and like him on the Bombcast, but his now-recurring "I would vote for Arnold 2016 just because!" is honestly super frustrating.

The "it doesn't matter who you vote for" shtick from Jeff was worse. Dan's Arnold thing is pretty clearly him playing up what he knows is stupid.
It's a free game that no consumer was charged for.

Yeah, it's a shitty thing, but there are no "rights" involved here.

Jintor

peeps be too obsessed with what people/companies have the 'right' to do often i find; perhaps a manifestation of american individualism with rights guaranteed by constitution and to a lesser extent by legislature, spreading memetically out through popular culture until you get some jackass arrestee in australia screaming about his fourth amendment rights (lol)

peeps be too obsessed with what people/companies have the 'right' to do often i find; perhaps a manifestation of american individualism with rights guaranteed by constitution and to a lesser extent by legislature, spreading memetically out through popular culture until you get some jackass arrestee in australia screaming about his fourth amendment rights (lol)

For some reason I can't help but read this like it's from a Kojima game.

jgminto

It's a free game that no consumer was charged for.

The "it doesn't matter who you vote for" shtick from Jeff was worse. Dan's Arnold thing is pretty clearly him playing up what he knows is stupid.

Yeah, it's a shitty thing, but there are no "rights" involved here.

I didn't mean a legal right, I meant the game license. And it matters because it's the first big case of that ability to download being revoked. While it's unlikely to happen, it doesn't seem like there's anything stopping companies from removing licenses for purchased games on PSN either unless Sony were to step in. Of course there would be backlash against the company but with how legal texts refer to games as temporary services that can be revoked, there wouldn't necessarily be anything that could be done about it. So if the download service holders like Sony, MS and Valve don't push back in similar instances, it shouldn't be surprising if some consumers lose confidence in the services and companies involved.

danm999

Or people thinking they're entitled to a public defender because they've watched too much Law and Order.

Myggen

I'd say there's some cause for concern with the download rights being totally removed.

Eh, it's a free teaser. It's a stretch to use "download rights" here. It's obviously a shitty thing to do, but I would be more concerned for video game preservation if this was actually something they put out for money, or at the very least as a stand-alone product that wasn't meant as a teaser for another game. P.T. is such a unique case that I don't buy people saying that this will have any effect outside of P.T. itself.

Has anyone thought about the possibility that Konami sold the Silent Hill rights?

That's the depressing thing for me, they'll probably keep all their (amazing) IPs for Pachinko Machines.

Having said that, I'd totally go to a Silent Hill themed Health & Fitness Club
"We'll scare you into shape"

Jothel

This is my mandatory I'm incredibly upset with the results of the English election.
I'm incredibly upset with the results of the English election.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
I didn't mean a legal right, I meant the game license. And it matters because it's the first big case of that ability to download being revoked. While it's unlikely to happen, it doesn't seem like there's anything stopping companies from removing licenses for purchased games on PSN either unless Sony were to step in. Of course there would be backlash against the company but with how legal texts refer to games as temporary services that can be revoked, there wouldn't necessarily be anything that could be done about it. So if the download service holders like Sony, MS and Valve don't push back in similar instances, it shouldn't be surprising if some consumers lose confidence in the services and companies involved.

While I think what konami did was shitty you would think that money being involved would change the situation drastically.

Nero18

The whole situation got to messy for me to even keep track of it, but how far along development was Silent Hills? Remember hearing VO was recorded but as far as I know that happens really early on. Feel like people are mourning over something that never really existed. And honestly, there is no reason to believe that the concept in PT would be good in a longer game.

hamchan

The whole situation got to messy for me to even keep track of it, but how far along development was Silent Hills? Remember hearing VO was recorded but as far as I know that happens really early on. Feel like people are mourning over something that never really existed. And honestly, there is no reason to believe that the concept in PT would be good in a longer game.

It's fairly obvious that PT's gameplay was built for it being a playable teaser rather than being representative of the final game. What PT did prove though is that the group of people creating the game knew how to make something incredibly scary. Even if Silent Hills wasn't in active development yet, the fact is that these talented group of people were totally planning to make it, and through PT they showed they had the chops for it. That they now have no chance to do it is what people are mourning.

Myggen

While I think what konami did was shitty you would think that money being involved would change the situation drastically.

Yeah. As I said I think PT is such a unique thing that it's difficult for me to think this would even begin to set a precedence, or lead other developers to think that they could do something similar with a game you've actually paid money for. The slippery slope argument doesn't really convince me here, and I see this more as one developer being an asshole than a threat to the preservation of digital games that aren't PT (which is a real problem, but not more so after this).

edit: Was this photo posted here?

CEbyxz9VIAAeTmZ.jpg

Nero18

It's fairly obvious that PT's gameplay was built for it being a playable teaser rather than being representative of the final game. What PT did prove though is that the group of people creating the game knew how to make something incredibly scary. Even if Silent Hills wasn't in active development yet, the fact is that these talented group of people were totally planning to make it, and through PT they showed they had the chops for it. That they now have no chance to do it is what people are mourning.

I don't know if i can agree with that final part. The skills that made PT good don't necessarily translate to Silent Hills. Honestly, the core mechanics in PT were nothing revolutionary, it was rather the design and story that made it interesting. The mechanics reminded me a lot of Alien Isolation, and that game proved to me that the concept is really more fitting fore shorter games.

The alternate scenario i can't help but to think of is what if PT was a standalone game with maybe one hour more gameplay at a 15$ price point. The only way a 20 hour horror game could be made in 2015 is if it a) is attached to a big franchise, or b) if the cost of development is low enough as to where a million copies sold meant profit (simplified). I just have a hard time seeing that game ever being viable in development, let alone the quality of the actual game.

jgminto

I don't know if i can agree with that final part. The skills that made PT good don't necessarily translate to Silent Hills. Honestly, the core mechanics in PT were nothing revolutionary, it was rather the design and story that made it interesting. The mechanics reminded me a lot of Alien Isolation, and that game proved to me that the concept is really more fitting fore shorter games.

The alternate scenario i can't help but to think of is what if PT was a standalone game with maybe one hour more gameplay at a 15$ price point. The only way a 20 hour horror game could be made in 2015 is if it a) is attached to a big franchise, or b) if the cost of development is low enough as to where a million copies sold meant profit (simplified). I just have a hard time seeing that game ever being viable in development, let alone the quality of the actual game.

It seems pretty likely that Silent Hills wouldn't have been that similar to PT aside from the tone and visuals. Seeing as they went through all the effort of getting a name actor to model, it probably would have been third person. Also the game wouldn't focus on being obtuse to solve and would ideally have well paced and interesting puzzles between enemy sequences instead of vaguely examining things and using the microphone.

PT was a way to get people excited, not a demonstration of Silent Hills.

Ahh I need the Kerbal Quick Look now. Put it up instead of leaving in the internet's version of purgatory.

Watching the first Unprofessional Fridays to tide me over. Patrick, Vinny AND Yung Brad.

"Baseball, now that's a sport" - Michael Jordan's dad.

Nero18

It seems pretty likely that Silent Hills wouldn't have been that similar to PT aside from the tone and visuals. Seeing as they went through all the effort of getting a name actor to model, it probably would have been third person. Also the game wouldn't focus on being obtuse to solve and would ideally have well paced and interesting puzzles between enemy sequences instead of vaguely examining things and using the microphone.

PT was a way to get people excited, not a demonstration of Silent Hills.

Thats exactly my point, nothing says Silent Hills woukd be automatically good just because PT was.

We did what we needed to do in the election and it paid off. The English have no one to blame but themselves for their result.

#movetoscotland

#iwillbuyyouirnbru

Hi Jimmy!

I bet you voted for some weirdo MP that likes Toukiden in your election, didn't you?

Where's our new thread BTW?

Hello chaos breaker!

Koei tecmo will take over the world soon enough.

The new OT is ready to go. Since I didn't have enough time it is mostly the same template as this ot with updated pictures and descriptions.

We should hit the new OT by upf tonight.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom