• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #14 | I'll Never Forget This!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I disagree with the idea that a spoiler is only a spoiler if it's big enough to affect the entire piece. I loved my experience with VLR because I was able to react like "OH SHIT" with every single twist, even if there are like 20 of them and any single one doesn't hurt many of the others.

well to be fair, the one I mentioned is a HUGE clue to figuring out a lot of the other twists, as well as the main plot.

to the game's credit there was still a bunch of other stuff that had my jaw on the floor

That bit was fairly obvious from playing VLR. It's really, really obvious given some of the things the character says and his reactions throughout the game.
true, especially regarding
his keepsake
. but still, I felt like I was a few steps ahead of the story at points when I shouldn't have been. I was constantly behind the curve in 999, almost to an impressive extent

I agree that it doesn't need to be pointed out every single time but let's not pretend that Jeff and Brad haven't become jaded. Their reactions to the games and announcements lately are the very definition of the word. You only need to look back to older quick looks and content to see how much their enthusiasm waned. However, unlike other people who view their jadedness a criticism, I think it's a perfectly valid reaction to the current state of the industry. There is nothing wrong about being jaded if the games that you're exposed to aren't tickling your fancy. Sequels and remakes can be tiring.

I just think a better balance is required from the Bombcast and GB West content as a whole when it comes to differing opinions. It's why I'm slowly preferring the Beastcast more and more because both Alex, Vinny and Austin are bringing different views and don't have their voices being drowned out by stronger personalities.

Or maybe that's the way GB is going to balance their opinions/views on things where the Bombcast is a little more cynical and optimism can be found in the Beastcast.

I think this gen just hasn't been anything but a series of letdowns so far. Has there been any game that anyone can point at and say "See, this is the reason to upgrade to a new console"?

We've had those in previous gens. Soul Calibur sold me on a dreamcast and MGS2 made buying a PS2 a no brainer. Gears of War helped push me to get a 360. FFVII got me to jump in on the PSX. Mario 64 was as good a reason as any to want a 64.

I dunno, nothing this gen has tickled my fancy the way previous gens had. I bought a PS4 at launch because why not but truthfully there hasn't been a thing on the machine that has made me feel like im playing and seeing some next level shit. The Order has the looks but its gameplay is from 2008. And I haven't even felt the urge to pick up Bloodborne though I loved Demon's Souls and Dark Souls.

Maybe it just comes with age, you've played hundred if not possibly thousands of games since being a kid and I was hoping to see something new this gen that would make me feel like gaming has taken another step forward. The only thing that's been giving me that feeling has been all the buzz VR has, and it's still too soon to tell if it's the real deal or not.

I can name maybe 1, 2 games i've bought day one this gen. Just nothing has struck me as worth shelling out $60 for.

DamnBoxes

2649599-6001335744-17iqo.jpg

alright we're going outside and settling this right now

and after that i wanna know

what's new with the HOTSPURS

Lots of transfer rumours running around (as always during the Summer), Tottenham are linked with Toby Alderweireld, Morgan Schneiderlin, Yehven Konoplyanka, and many more. Current Spurs players like Etienne Capoue, Adebayor, Younes Kaboul, all look like they're being shopped around to clubs around Europe. Paulinho is off to CHINA of all places, so he can get some confidence back before his career is over. He was a huge flop in the Premier League and Tottenham supporters for the most part were very disappointed with how much the club spent to acquire him.

Harry Kane is and will be THE HOTSPURS number one striker for a long while. The big question is, whether Hugo Lloris will stick around for another year to be THE HOTSPURS number one GOALKEEP. Manchester United are interested in buying him if their current star keeper, David De Gea, makes his move to Real Madrid.

( I'm legitimately a massive Tottenham Hotspur fan so when I watched BLLSL this year the whole HOTSPURS ongoing bit that Lang and the Gooch were doing -- which seemed to be a hit even for people who HATE football/soccer -- you can imagine was maybe one of the greatest things I've ever watched on Giant Bomb. Two of my favorite things, GB and Tottenham Hotspur, somehow together at last... )

No_Style

I think this gen just hasn't been anything but a series of letdowns so far. Has there been any game that anyone can point at and say "See, this is the reason to upgrade to a new console"?

We've had those in previous gens. Soul Calibur sold me on a dreamcast and MGS2 made buying a PS2 a no brainer. Gears of War helped push me to get a 360. FFVII got me to jump in on the PSX. Mario 64 was as good a reason as any to want a 64.

I dunno, nothing this gen has tickled my fancy the way previous gens had. I bought a PS4 at launch because why not but truthfully there hasn't been a thing on the machine that has made me feel like im playing and seeing some next level shit. The Order has the looks but its gameplay is from 2008. And I haven't even felt the urge to pick up Bloodborne though I loved Demon's Souls and Dark Souls.

Maybe it just comes with age, you've played hundred if not possibly thousands of games since being a kid and I was hoping to see something new this gen that would make me feel like gaming has taken another step forward. The only thing that's been giving me that feeling has been all the buzz VR has, and it's still too soon to tell if it's the real deal or not.

I can name maybe 1, 2 games i've bought day one this gen. Just nothing has struck me as worth shelling out $60 for.

Yeap. Perfectly valid.

I'm the person who bought the PS4 for a multiplatform title that could be played on PC but chose to play it on console. Battlefield 4 isn't anything earth shattering but it is an experience that you can't get on the old consoles. I'm enjoying these consoles for what they are at the moment: better versions of known quantities from the last generation.

But for me enough time has passed that I want these sequels. I skipped a lot of the sequels like Dark Souls II, Batman: Arkham Origins and Gears of War: Judgement so I went into Bloodborne, Arkham Knight and the next Gears with more optimism. I also picked up a FIFA title for the very first time and found a lot of enjoyment from that.

Maybe the Jeff and Brad would have been more enthused about the current crop of games if it wasn't their job to cover every title that's dropped? I think so. They're looking back at Rock Band 4 and the new Guitar Hero with more enthusiasm for example.

Lots of transfer rumours running around (as always during the Summer), Tottenham are linked with Toby Alderweireld, Morgan Schneiderlin, Yehven Konoplyanka, and many more. Current Spurs players like Etienne Capoue, Adebayor, Younes Kaboul, all look like they're being shopped around to clubs around Europe. Paulinho is off to CHINA of all places, so he can get some confidence back before his career is over. He was a huge flop in the Premier League and Tottenham supporters for the most part were very disappointed with how much the club spent to acquire him.

Harry Kane is and will be THE HOTSPURS number one striker for a long while. The big question is, whether Hugo Lloris will stick around for another year to be THE HOTSPURS number one GOALKEEP. Manchester United are interested in buying him if their current star keeper, David De Gea, makes his move to Real Madrid.

I love this so much. Lang, the monster that he is, bringing soccer into GB.

Yeap. Perfectly valid.

I'm the person who bought the PS4 for a multiplatform title that could be played on PC but chose to play it on console. Battlefield 4 isn't anything earth shattering but it is an experience that you can't get on the old consoles. I'm enjoying these consoles for what they are at the moment: better versions of known quantities from the last generation.

But for me enough time has passed that I want these sequels. I skipped a lot of the sequels like Dark Souls II, Batman: Arkham Origins and Gears of War: Judgement so I went into Bloodborne, Arkham Knight and the next Gears with more optimism. I also picked up a FIFA title for the very first time and found a lot of enjoyment from that.

Maybe the Jeff and Brad would have been more enthused about the current crop of games if it wasn't their job to cover every title that's dropped? I think so. They're looking back at Rock Band 4 and the new Guitar Hero with more enthusiasm for example.

I love this so much. Lang, the monster that he is, bringing soccer into GB.

Yup same for me

also lang is a monster

Volotaire

I teared a little at the Zelda Wii U reveal. It was everything (well not everything) I had been asking for since they showed off TP beta forest.

Zaph

What's the story behind that? People in here have been talking about this since yesterday but I still have no idea what the fuck happened.
I haven't been paying much attention but I believe the devs announced they're ceasing commercial game development as Sunset was released, for financial reasons. It kicked off a public funding/patron of the arts debate for inherently unprofitable games.

I believe Jim Sterling gave a pretty interesting take on the whole thing (especially on the place of journalists when games are financial successes/failures) which was posted in the game journo thread.

you guys are actually looking forward to Gears 4? That demo at E3 was almost as bad as the BLOPSIII demo. It not only did nothing for me but actually convinced me it was ok to pass on the game.

I haven't been paying much attention but I believe the devs announced they're ceasing commercial game development as Sunset was released, for financial reasons. It kicked off a public funding/patron of the arts debate for inherently unprofitable games.

I believe Jim Sterling gave a pretty interesting take on the whole thing (especially on the place of journalists when games are financial successes/failures) which was posted in the game journo thread.

Didn't the devs kinda shit on gamers who dislike indie games on their way out, though? Seems like something you wouldnt want to do as it's only going to make matters worse.

After the barrage of sad tales about depression caused by indies turning into millionaires overnight, allow us to raise your spirits with a story about the liberating and energizing effects of complete commercial failure.

i dunno if it's meant to be self depricating but it sounds almost as if they saying "see, you wanted an indie dev to fail and you got it"

Volotaire

i teared at when they had to say zelda was still for wii u just when they said twlight princess was still for gamecube 10 years ago.

kinda funny how its happening again

I remember when Iwata said that the gap between Twilight Princess and Skyward Sword was too long (five years, although it did not take 5 years to develop) and their next Zelda console game would be released much quicker. Look where we are now. 2016 and it will 5 years. 2017 and it will be nearing 6. The same gap between TP and SS (5 years).

I remember when Iwata said that the gap between Twilight Princess and Skyward Sword was too long (five years, although it did not take 5 years to develop) and their next Zelda console game would be released much quicker. Look where we are now. 2016 and it will 5 years. 2017 and it will be nearing 6. The same gap between TP and SS (5 years).

Yeah its crazy.

On the chance this actually comes out on NX i wonder if they would push back the wii u version to maximize sales of the NX version like they did with Twilight Princess

What's the story behind that? People in here have been talking about this since yesterday but I still have no idea what the fuck happened.

Checkout Austin's piece on Sunset/arts funding, it includes some quotes from the devs. They come off pretty.... high-horsey. It's an artsy game that's been presented as such and I'm sure some people chafe at the pretensions.

Curufinwe

Jaded Jeff is something that's going to get brought up in every GB thread from here to eternity, huh?

wish people had better criticisms about him. Seems like lazy commentary that's mostly code for "he doesn't like/isn't as enthusiastic about the things I like."

I agree. Let's discuss Jeff's bizarre belief that Gears is a big seller but Uncharted isn't, instead.

No_Style

you guys are actually looking forward to Gears 4? That demo at E3 was almost as bad as the BLOPSIII demo. It not only did nothing for me but actually convinced me it was ok to pass on the game.

It has me curious. The horror angle as poorly as it was shown was enough for me to assume they are trying things.

That BLOPS3 demo bummed me out like no other COD demo. I had high hopes for Treyarch but their co-op campaign demo didn't sell me. I hope the beta is promising otherwise this will break my COD streak. I've always found a reason to pick up a COD for dumb fun but this year is the first where I can't even find a B.S excuse yet.

when that whole tlou2 thing happened i just got flash back to those gies tweets

i would be lying if i said i didn't crack a smile in retrospect

that was beautiful, because didn't TLOU outsell the entire Uncharted series?

Gies, the most wrong person in video game journalism

e: no it didn't, but it's sold half as much as the entire Uncharted series combined

that was beautiful, because didn't TLOU outsell the entire Uncharted series?

Gies, the most wrong person in video game journalism

e: no it didn't, but it's sold half as much as the entire Uncharted series combined

Yeah, I think that TLOU is sitting at 8 million sold, which given that it's a new IP launching at the very end of a console's life means that it fucking killed it. TLOU2 is going to move systems and make bank, not a doubt about it. I just hope it comes out just a bit after UC4, kinda like how TLOU came out 18 months after UC4 because knowing that UC4 is what's holding that back sucks hairy balls and butt.

Noaloha

I think Barlow once made fun of #gamergate on Twitter. Months and months later he gets some praiseworthy headlines and certain folk are unable to abide it.

Volotaire

Yeah its crazy.

On the chance this actually comes out on NX i wonder if they would push back the wii u version to maximize sales of the NX version like they did with Twilight Princess

I wouldn't be surprised. They need the NX to be successful from the get go and to do this, if they want to continue the strategy of traditional game hardware/game hardware entirely and focus on the Nintendo audience, the killer app they need at launch is Zelda U. Zelda is the type of Nintendo game that attracts the Nintendo fanbase but also gamers who do not traditionally buy into Nintendo consoles. It needs to sell the NX without consumers diverting to the cheaper Wii U version.

My thoughts on where Nintendo need to focus in the long term, however, is different to what Nintendo is likely to do or should do if they continue on a hardware path.

Any excuse to post this.

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
One unexpected problem? The game’s secretive story. Rocksteady was deeply afraid of plot revelations being leaked ahead of release, said the same source, so traditional PC testing firms that are used to stress test games on different hardware configurations—one of the PC’s biggest hurdles—were avoided. From what I’m told, this is not an uncommon practice for major video games with story-heavy elements.

Okay, daydream might have had a point about "spoiler culture"

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything
That's what I get for not watching EX Quicklooks. I just now realised that the game is called "Streets of Fury EX" cause I saw it on Steam and that it's NOT an EX QL. I remember this game, they played it on their awesome "XBLA Indie games" thing years ago.

Megasoum

Banned
Okay, daydream might have had a point about "spoiler culture"

Yeah... The is the only part of that article that surprised me. We deal with PC Compat testing all the time, this is the first time I hear of a publisher not doing it because they are afraid that the story might get spoiled... This is so stupid.

Edit: I see that Patrick fixed the "Fall 2015" part of the article too... Good.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom