• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #23 | See you Space Cowboy...

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member 59090

Unconfirmed Member
Man, being a non-premium peasant for a week sucks and my subscription ran out because PAX is a week later this year.

The site is kind of in a weird place right now for me (purely subjectively speaking to my tastes before people start).

The cross coast Hitman was stellar but that was only Gbeast's second premium vid since Austin left (I get stuff is tough).

There seems to be about a month gap between premium stuff that isn't UPF or Hitman and some of the Hitman stuff is free and I don't even know if you could consider a series (it used to be part of UPF and the best part of UPF). The way all that has run together has been kind of messy. I liked the neatness of stuff like MGScanlon.

I dunno. I just feel like they are lacking in ideas or something, for my personal tastes anyway.

in the entire month of August, the only non-UPF premium videos have been two Hitman videos and a Game Tapes.
and UPF has been extra poor minus Dan

I really don't have an issue with the non-premium stuff, that's as good as it ever was really. but woof, the premium output.

SomberOwl

The site is kind of in a weird place right now for me (purely subjectively speaking to my tastes before people start).

The cross coast Hitman was stellar but that was only Gbeast's second premium vid since Austin left (I get stuff is tough).

There seems to be about a month gap between premium stuff that isn't UPF or Hitman and some of the Hitman stuff is free and I don't even know if you could consider a series (it used to be part of UPF and the best part of UPF). The way all that has run together has been kind of messy. I liked the neatness of stuff like MGScanlon.

I dunno. I just feel like they are lacking in ideas or something, for my personal tastes anyway.

They also have their PAX stuff coming soon which I personally couldn't care less about.

Maiorum

And when you consider that half of most UPFs is mostly previews of upcoming Quick Looks... yeah, it really feels like they're in a bit of a rut these days, reminiscent of the time immediately preceding Dan's hire.

It's weird too, because between Demo Derby and Game Tapes, they have two great ideas for premium content. It's beyond me why they put that stuff out so infrequently.

Bored at work so I decided to check out a live video bombcast for the first time instead of waiting for the regular pod to be uploaded later today. Yeah I have no idea what the point of that is or why people would want to watch it, but more power to you I guess.

Hopefully post pax they'll put out the job listing for GBeast editor. I agree it feels like the first half of 2014 right now, which was the worst GB period.

in the entire month of August, the only non-UPF premium videos have been two Hitman videos and a Game Tapes.
and UPF has been extra poor minus Dan

I really don't have an issue with the non-premium stuff, that's as good as it ever was really. but woof, the premium output.

I'd say quick looks have gone down in entertainment value. They seem more concerned about describing the game thoroughly now, whereas older Qls were more fast and loose.

I'd say quick looks have gone down in entertainment value. They seem more concerned about describing the game thoroughly now, whereas older Qls were more fast and loose.

Definitely. Even games that were average had great, entertaining quick looks earlier on (Wheelman, Klonoa). Now I'll just watch ql for games I'm gonna buy, sports games and terrible games.

I think it's their apprehension for playing games in a repeated format that's causing their output to suffer. There's plenty of recent games they could do the dreaded "endurance run" for, Mankind Divided for example, but for some reason they don't want to. The stream of Persona, Deadly Premonition, and Chrono Trigger back in the day spoiled us. The closest they come nowadays is Vinny and Castlevania. MGScanlon was great too. They need more of that.

Salarians

ybmejwe.gif

daydream

Banned
i think the 'best of' videos speak volumes with regard to frequency, intensity and variety of source for comedic highlights

they obviously still put out good stuff but if you've been following the site since the start, well, let's say i won't blame you for feeling a bit melancholy now and then

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
I've been following this site for awhile and i feel like this always happens before a pax or big event they have to travel to.

Then it gets back to normal.

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
They did some good stuff on the east coast recently. I think the summer games and the game making streams were fantastic. Beastcasts were great during Dan's tenure, too.

oti

Banned
Besides the beastcast, giant bomb content is really weak .

Love how every week it's either "content is pretty good you guys" or "content is pretty bad you guys". I'd love to see the next Mario Party Party but that's out of the question for now.
Also I don't listen to Beastcast.

bomma_man

Regarding the Game Tapes, I don't know if it was talked about here, but Nintendo didn't change their idea regarding having internet be a focus on the Wii. Their idea was just different and, ultimately, not what people wanted.

The whole setup of "channels" was a the big focus of the console and it was all internet enabled apps. You can even argue they were a little ahead since Apple TV kinda works with channels and stuff. They simply weren't supported.

While the Wii had ancient ways of playing online they certainly tried to make an internet based console with channels and a focus on downloadable content. The focus was there it just wasn't supported and they lacked other stuff that Xbox had.

Anyway, these are my hot takes! Tune in next time.

It was basically iOS before iOS. Definitely Nintendo's best OS conceptually and anthestically (not that that's saying a lot).

daydream

Banned
They did some good stuff on the east coast recently. I think the summer games and the game making streams were fantastic. Beastcasts were great during Dan's tenure, too.

the summer games stream was great

almost as if playing a bunch of old games on a topical occasion with a fun stream gimmick and a lively group of people in a laid-back but still involved atmosphere usually results in good content or something

Two common demominators there.

UPF has been middling for so long. I don't know why they do a show when they're all clearly ready to get their weekend started after a long work week. That never made any sense to me. Like a lot of GB stuff, it lost its spontaneity/laid back quality long ago. It also was originally for stuff they were actually playing or wanted to play and not weird indie game of the week like a lot of it is now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom