• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #27 | http://cbsinteractive.com/careers

kvothe

That's fair. The Nier comments just reminded me how I could probably count the games this gen where the open world felt like a genuine positive contribution to my experience on one hand. I do really love BOTW's take on it, but it feels like a very isolated case since its influence probably won't be seen in other games for another few years (if at all).

Maybe a better nominee would be open worlds for the sake of a bullet point 🤔

But what bad open world games have come out this year?

TraBuch

Banned
What, are you saying that pedophiles aren't as bad as insane mass murderers?

What are you really saying, Trabuch?
I'm saying that one of them is also a pedophile?

Speaking of which, has there ever been another game where one of the primary protagonists is literally attracted to kids? That seems like such an unbelievably difficult subject that only someone as crazy as Yoko Taro would do something like that.

Catvoca

Banned
Boy it sure does seem like every single review thread these days eventually needs a mod to step in and shut it all the way down

It says a lot about gaming culture that neogaf, one of the most strictly moderated and left-leaning places to discuss games on the internet, is still such a shithole when it comes to certain topics.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
It says a lot about gaming culture that neogaf, one of the most strictly moderated and left-leaning places to discuss games on the internet, is still such a shithole when it comes to certain topics.

Being left-leaning has nothing to do with how weirdly tribalistic humans get, especially by the standards of american politics which is tribalistic as fuck.

Also it is pretty strictly moderated. You should go to other parts of the internet. This is actually way better.

Andromeda preload ready! I'm willing to tolerate quite a lot of bad stuff if the combat is solid, which the reviews seem to indicate is the case. The bugs I've been hearing about though...

Catvoca

Banned
Being left-leaning has nothing to do with how weirdly tribalistic humans get, especially by the standards of american politics which is tribalistic as fuck.

Also it is pretty strictly moderated. You should go to other parts of the internet. This is actually way better.

I know it's strictly moderated, that's what I said. I'm saying that even in spite of having great mods who shut down most of the garbage on the site, there's still stuff like review threads that brings out the worst in people. You'd think with the general attitudes of gaf that the people posting about video games would be more, eh, reasonable. Like what is it about games that makes people so crazy (or maybe it's just the internet, I suppose).

justjim89

You know what's a good Bioware game? Dragon Age Origins. Just beat that the other night, playing through Awakening now.

I know it's kinda all downhill from here with Dragon Age, though.

You know what's a good Bioware game? Dragon Age Origins. Just beat that the other night, playing through Awakening now.

I know it's kinda all downhill from here with Dragon Age, though.

Yea it is, wish they would make a new game in that vein but doubt it would work out well at this point :\

Anjin M

Jade Empire is one of those games that slipped through the cracks for me and never got around to playing it. Wish I would have for sure. It looked like a pretty cool game
I liked that it was a martial arts game, but it let me play as a sword lady the whole way through.

review threads almost entirely exist just to be honeypots. nothing good ever comes from them, they're just there to suck up all the anger from the other threads until they reach critical mass and are shut down.

also, don't mistake the fact that just because gaf is generally ideologically progressive (by force, if necessary) that it's not full of assholes. there's a lot of leeway granted to hostility and general dickbaggery if it's directed at the "right" targets.

klonere

Banned
Hello it's me, that guy that thinks the Dragon Age 2 story is probably the best of Bioware's 3D efforts with the exception of Mass Effect 1

Combat is pretty fun as well.

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything
Me coming home from university "Oh boy, let's look the ME Reviews thread on GAF, that'll be fun!"

Oh
OH!
Oh...
ohhh...

kill me

J_Viper

When I traded in Yakuza, it was also to pay off my ME pre-order

I just canceled the pre-order and rebought Yakuza at full price

Why am I so bad with money

TraBuch

Banned
review threads almost entirely exist just to be honeypots. nothing good ever comes from them, they're just there to suck up all the anger from the other threads until they reach critical mass and are shut down.

also, don't mistake the fact that just because gaf is generally ideologically progressive (by force, if necessary) that it's not full of assholes. there's a lot of leeway granted to hostility and general dickbaggery if it's directed at the "right" targets.
Shhh. Don't let people hear you say that.

Hindl

I know it's strictly moderated, that's what I said. I'm saying that even in spite of having great mods who shut down most of the garbage on the site, there's still stuff like review threads that brings out the worst in people. You'd think with the general attitudes of gaf that the people posting about video games would be more, eh, reasonable. Like what is it about games that makes people so crazy (or maybe it's just the internet, I suppose).

It's not video games, it's tribalism like someone said. You see the same shit in arguments about sports, social issues, anything where a side can be taken really. Go back to the Bombcast where they did the worst fanbases bracket, you'll see this shit in every one of those fanbases

When I traded in Yakuza, it was also to pay off my ME pre-order

I just canceled the pre-order and rebought Yakuza at full price

Why am I so bad with money

Don't preorder unless it's some limited run thing, or someone like Nintendo having a shitty supply chain. Problem solved

Salarians

Nier Automata is great

but I think I prefer the original

it's got best new feature on lock though
Hello it's me, that guy that thinks the Dragon Age 2 story is probably the best of Bioware's 3D efforts with the exception of Mass Effect 1

Combat is pretty fun as well.
kinda, maybe, slightly agree

I dream of a version of DA2 where they were given the time and budget to properly make that game

pizzacat

Banned
SIHo0Fk.jpg

Lunar FC

Kind of weirdsies that Drew didn't do any sort of update for Alt+F1 listeners about the status of the pod.

Also weird that last ep they were talking about being on the verge of getting ads and then a week later he said he was going to bounce.

klonere

Banned
I dream of a version of DA2 where they were given the time and budget to properly make that game

It's so refreshingly not stock Bioware story fare and showed they could put together an interesting plot where you aren't The Chosen One but rather just a competent person who is good with people and solving problems involving people. You aren't saving the universe as we know it, just trying to hold a very divided city together. You are working with a bureaucracy and power structure that is fighting itself and nothing really works, only patches cracks in giant gaping holes (sounds very familiar). And as sarcastic FemHawke you are the best, most entertaining and empathetic PC in any Bioware series.

Your party isn't a flawed but lovable troupe of happy campers who generally get on with each other - they instead range from total sociopaths, manic-obsessives, deceitful criminals, unrepentant magical terrorists and your actual sister. You barely can keep them from outright murdering each other and you can't keep them from fucking you over. It's a wonderful subversion.

Of course the final act is a bit meh but Bioware has exactly one satisfying final act in its history with Mass Effect 1 so it's very much par for the course.

I don't know why but I feel like Austin Walker would also have this opinion.

That's why Austin is da king

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
"So what are you working on?"
"Well, for the past three years I've been animating all possible alien sex scene scenarios. So much detail."

Top Bottom