• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #27 | http://cbsinteractive.com/careers

I feel like they should just have a separate podcast series to go more in-depth on the delicious spoilery core of some games. Zelda is a great example of this because 90% of just playing the game is this giant mechanical spoiler. Like, the whole game is centered around discovery--much like playing a puzzle game, learning how it works ruins the whole thing; in other words, you can't solve what you already know--and that's, like, the game. (And yeah, spoilers matter. I've heard how the duders tiptoe around spoiling Zelda for themselves, for example. I don't believe that's entirely for the audience's benefit.)

There's probably a deeper discussion to be had about games and whether they're either meant to be "consumed" or "explored." Like the concept of (mechanical) spoilers in a fighting or strategy game are pretty crazy, but in something like Dark Souls not knowing can be a fundamental part of the experience. BotW is another great example of the latter. (And again, huge props to Dan for totally getting this during the QL.)

There's almost nothing in Zelda to spoiler. If you don't want to hear about any of the mechanics of the game just skip any discussion.

GBeast is just excessively coy with spoilers because of Vinny. That and they can't get in depth because not enough of them have played a given game to completion to do so.

Oh my god unless a game mechanic pertains to the story(ie Nier) it is not a goddamn spoiler. Being able to light fires in zelda or freaking use balloons to life yourself in a boat to ganons castle is not a spoiler. It will never be a spoiler. People are too damn sensitive.

Tunoku

Oh my god unless a game mechanic pertains to the story(ie Nier) it is not a goddamn spoiler. Being able to light fires in zelda or freaking use balloons to life yourself in a boat to ganons castle is not a spoiler. It will never be a spoiler. People are too damn sensitive.

Talking about
Eventide Island and explaining its mechanics and your experience with it isn't a spoiler either?
I agree that the examples you mentioned above don't count as a spoiler, but the one above is completely optional and unrelated to the main narrative. Nevertheless, discovering it on your own has a lot of value. And that's not the only example when it comes to Zelda.

Talking about
Eventide Island and explaining its mechanics and your experience with it isn't a spoiler either?
I agree that the examples you mentioned above don't count as a spoiler, but the one above is completely optional and unrelated to the main narrative. Nevertheless, discovering it on your own has a lot of value. And that's not the only example when it comes to Zelda.

That's a pretty minor one, and even then is probably the biggest thing you could spoil in Zelda.

Talking about

You mean Eventide island. You dont have to spoiler the damn name. Cause no that isnt a spoiler. Its completely without context.

At some point people get sensitive about things of the game to the point where a conversation is held hostage because people are trying to walk on the most frail glass. I get story spoilers, sure, or easter eggs, but gameplay things like "oh you gotta move the balls to these holes"? Its like...nah. Next people are going to becry spoilers when talking about what color camos you can unlock for a gun in call of duty. Its silly and toxic to a conversation.

That sounds awesome. Official video game concerts are great. I'm going to Symphony of the Goddesses (Zelda) and Distant Worlds (Final Fantasy) this year. Taking advantage of as many as I can for whatever comes to town.

Going to the Zelda one as well in Birmingham on April 19th, should be good. Speaking of video game music, some guy has the entire KH London show uploaded in audio form lol. Also, the world tour disk(which is studio recorded) is also on Youtube even though it isn't everything from what they play live(the arrangement is the same though, obviously).

fRnqqyw.png

Jesus.

woglbssv.gif

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-XcLz7sUMXk

is there any better start to a quick look

Fuck yes, I was hoping it would be that one before I clicked haha.

I don't know I found a Memory last night that revealed Zelda's age and I was like, whoa

Huh? You are surprised that Zelda was 17 or whatever? She looks it and it's a standard thing that could have been in the marketing materials.

You mean Eventide island. You dont have to spoiler the damn name. Cause no that isnt a spoiler. Its completely without context.

At some point people get sensitive about things of the game to the point where a conversation is held hostage because people are trying to walk on the most frail glass. I get story spoilers, sure, or easter eggs, but gameplay things like "oh you gotta move the balls to these holes"? Its like...nah. Next people are going to becry spoilers when talking about what color camos you can unlock for a gun in call of duty. Its silly and toxic to a conversation.
I see people spoiler tagging the existence of the master sword in a Zelda game and get really confused.

So the celebrity shit is a video game having actors in it?

I prefer my game characters to be portrayed by human-simulating automatons. I don't want them to look or sound like actual humans. Like in the new Mass Effect game!

For real people will find the silliest things to complain about.

E3 2011 day one bombcast: Jonathon blow is saying he wants to "make a game without words" but doesn't think he will be able to get it on Xbox with all of the silly certs. This is right in front of the MS guys. Everyone in the room is happy that MS is finally offering cloud saves for your account

Base mechanics, sure. But I will never agree with the idea that spoilers for a video game can only count as such when it's story or secrets related when the entire medium is based around mechanics. But I also learned the entire meta conversation is so damn stupid and that instead of trying to fight against it by being vocal, I just leave it altogether. If anywhere or anyone is too open about this stuff for what I want to see, I stop following/watching/etc. The time when I was most active on GBGAF also featured a two week stretch of me gone while I played MGSV in isolation. Turns out I care more about my personal experience than being a part of the conversation.

Base mechanics, sure. But I will never agree with the idea that spoilers for a video game can only count as such when it's story or secrets related when the entire medium is based around mechanics. But I also learned the entire meta conversation is so damn stupid and that instead of trying to fight against it by being vocal, I just leave it altogether. If anywhere or anyone is too open about this stuff for what I want to see, I stop following/watching/etc. The time when I was most active on GBGAF also featured a two week stretch of me gone while I played MGSV in isolation. Turns out I care more about my personal experience than being a part of the conversation.

Yeah, that's been my ultimate takeaway as well.

I've tried to steer clear of BotW discussions until I'm unlikely to be surprised. (This policy hasn't worked out at all. What a game!)

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
I had never heard of They Live either. I was born 1 year after it released.

Is it an American thing?

I suppose, but the message, especially after the last, well 20 years, is almost universal.

A lot of movies from the 80's/90's gained a new level of depth after 2001 (9/11) for a lot of the US. As usual we drug our shit across the world and now a lot of the societal/political and cultural critiques both They Live and Starship Troopers brings up can now be considered universal I think. Whether it's a look at income inequality, racial biases and hatred, social ladders, nationalism, or any ism really. Both those movies have a lot to say.

Tagyhag

I suppose, but the message, especially after the last, well 20 years, is almost universal.

A lot of movies from the 80's/90's gained a new level of depth after 2001 for a lot of the US. As usual we drug out shit across the world and now a lot of the societal/political and cultural critiques both They Live and Starship Troopers brings up can now be considered universal I think.

It's amazing how nobody got Starship Troopers until later. It was so obvious. But that speaks to the quality of the shit was that being drooled out during the mid-late 90's.

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
It's amazing how nobody got Starship Troopers until later. It was so obvious. But that speaks to the quality of the shit was that being drooled out during the mid-late 90's.

It's hard to blame pre-9/11 movie critique and cultural climate. Shit was happy and go-lucky for most of the 90's. I can't downplay a lot of shit that happened in the US during that decade, because the bad stuff was awful, but for the most part it was prosperous and people weren't worried about the bigger picture. After 9/11 that obviously changed everything.

So to see a cynical and biting film like Starship when it was first released not get it's props or be seen for what it was isn't surprising. No one was trying to hear critiques on the military post Gulf War or critiques on what it meant to be proud of your country and your people and doing what you have to do for that symbol.

Join Now!

Kimaka

yeah I tried to play yakuza 1 after 0 and i just couldn't do it. probably should have waited for kiwami or something.

2 holds up exceptionally well though

I couldn't wait for kiwami either. I just mute during cutscenes and watch the Japanese version on youtube. I'm still playing 1, but I can't wait to get to 2.

Ashby

My dad is not the most well educated guy around and I remember him explaining to me what was great about that movie when I was a kid in the 90s. I think if you lived through Vietnam that movie was about as subtle as a sledgehammer.

Strax

Starship Troopers isn't a good movie tho. It has great themes but like all Paul Verhoeven films the production design ages worse then in most films. The acting is terrible and the film doesn't know if it's a satire or a spoof and switches back and forth.

Playing sleeping dogs, and it feels like a less quirky and interesting yakuza game but with arkham combat. There was a mission with karaoke and it felt....soul-less. Still, it's pretty fun and I like the idea of playing a undercover cop!

They Live is a thing you watch then realise so many shows made references and nods to it that flew over your head previously.

It's also really fucking good.

PSA: Watch They live. It's legit.

Looking up they live, seems like 1988s the marine

Roddy Piper is a way better actor in it then you would expect.

Totally put in a good performance and not just good for a wrestler level work.

Ashby

They Live is a thing you watch then realise so many shows made references and nods to it that flew over your head previously.

It's also really fucking good.

PSA: Watch They live. It's legit.

Yeah, I learned about it from South Park riffing on the fist fight scene

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Though really, do any of us actually expect film & 40s to be a regular feature now after the fast & furious marathon is finished?

Top Bottom