• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant bomb "dot com" official thread 12 - anime + waluigi discussion webzone

Status
Not open for further replies.

Myggen

http://t.co/KwXztzEc11

the gist of is in the last five words

I've grown to really dislike TB over the last few months, and I would rather not see Danny and Jason Schreier give him more legitimacy by going on his show. But I don't see what's so bad about that post. I read that as him being anti GG, but not seeing how that should stop him going on TB's show. I don't really agree with the last part, but it's not something I'm reacting very strongly to either.

I've grown to really dislike TB over the last few months, and I would rather not see Danny and Jason Schreier give him more legitimacy by going on his show. But I don't see what's so bad about that post. I read that as him being anti GG, but not seeing how that should stop him going on TB's show. I don't really agree with the last part, but it's not something I'm reacting very strongly to either.

Yeah, I fail to see what the big deal is here. If people are turning on Danny now because of something like this, they probably weren't particularly big fans of him to begin with.

the only pathetic shite is how coldman let us down, let us all down with the OP (or lack thereof)

Tucah

you speak so well
Demo Derby: Official PlayStation Magazine: Issue 58 this Saturday.

c793fe96cf93086bc6d6179e6b742bc8.jpg

YES. No, we didn't get MGS but it'll end up being a hell of a week for premium content.

Zaph

Jeff's follow on question was great.

It's disappointing Danny and Kotaku Jason are going on his show, but let's keep some perspective and lay off the hyperbole. They're not exactly breaking bread with Abu Bakr.

you can't be "anti-GG" (god, fuck that term) and support TB

it's not possible, it's literally impossible, the two ideas are not compatible

TB IS GAMERGATE. he is keeping the movement alive and it is the ignorance of his peers that keeps him appearing legitimate, and keeps him spewing his hateful rhetoric when it comes to women, trans people and mentally disadvantaged people in the industry with zero consequence.

it's fucking disgusting and I'm really, really upset with Danny right now, he's incredibly irresponsible. if you can't understand what I'm getting at here, I'm just going to assume you haven't been keeping up with TB's activity lately, and frankly you're probably better for it.

(for the record, Danny can do what he likes. he doesn't give a shit? fine. doesn't mean I can't criticise him)

Myggen

Who are upset? I haven't seen much mention of it in this thread, and I would imagine that the Giant Bomblr Tumblr would be all over that shit if there was some GG controversy related to GB in some way, but I don't see anything there either.

you can't be "anti-GG" (god, fuck that term) and support TB

it's not possible, it's literally impossible, the two ideas are not compatible

TB IS GAMERGATE. he is keeping the movement alive and it is the ignorance of his peers that keeps him appearing legitimate, and keeps him spewing his hateful rhetoric when it comes to women, trans people and mentally disadvantaged people in the industry without zero consequence.

it's fucking disgusting and I'm really, really upset with Danny right now, he's incredibly irresponsible.

Yeah, I only used "anti GG" as a shorthand, I know it's a stupid term.

And I agree that TB has become the de facto leader of GG in many ways, but I don't see that post as him "supporting" TB. I didn't agree with Stephen Totilo going on his show either, but I didn't view that as support of TB.

http://t.co/KwXztzEc11

the gist of is in the last five words

I don't really see the problem here.

TB has always been a fantastic asshole, and he still kinda is, but he also seems to wear it on his sleeve. I've personally been getting really tired of his whole 'PC master race' shtick lately, but I still go to his videos whenever I need to know if a PC game is busted or not. The drama that seems to float towards and around him though I want nothing to do with. Fuck that I don't need any of that in my life right now.

I actually think it's really cool that Danny is gonna talk video games on another podcast, and I watch the Co-Optional Podcast on a weekly basis so this almost feels like two pluses for me. I guess those people slamming Danny for being on the Co-Optional Podcast were never the biggest fans of Danny to begin with. Actually, good on Danny for not letting random strangers online he's never met dictate his life decisions. He should do what he wants.

sjack

Banned
The idea that doing a podcast with someone who has opposing views to you somehow betrays your principals and is "irresponsible" is laughably melodramatic.

What/who is TB?

total biscuit

person who tries to be top gear of pc gaming but isnt smart or funny enough

so he ends up just turning on his computer for five mins and going yeah i dunno i got this game here it is

i dont find his footage or opinion valuable to me so i dont follow him

he also supports gamersgate or at least still thinks its some valiant effort to root out corruption in gaming media or some nonsense soooo

I can't stand TB because of his awful views on women and transgendered people, but I can't fault people for appearing on his program. With that said, I wouldn't do it personally. I wouldn't want to give him any semblance of legitimacy.

Myggen

What/who is TB?

Total Biscuit, Youtuber. He's become more or less the de facto leader of GamerGate for being the only "credible" person still left speaking their case, and has said some deplorable shit about harassment, sexism, racism etc. these last few months. He was always kind of an asshole, but has become a gaping asshole these last few months. He also subscribes to Giant Bomb.

Jintor

John Stewart goes on O'Reilly's shows and mocks him. Guess what won't happen on TB's podcast

(and if it DOES happen, obviously I eat my words. but it won't!)

I would save the outrage until that doesn't happen, then.

Being preemptively mad about something is... Cart before horse

Zaph

Such high hopes for this thread. Started mid-Mario Party, had a world class OP, then TB had to get his stink on it...

Anjin M

No, Danny said (paraphrasing) living through everything that happened in Ireland, he believes "sides" shouldn't stop talking.

Damn it. I was just about to type this. I get that people want to shun TB and drive him out. But if you can bring him around by engaging with him, I think that would be worth the effort.

Myggen

Damn it. I was just about to type this. I get that people want to shun TB and drive him out. But if you can bring him around by engaging with him, I think that would be worth the effort.

After all of this I honestly don't think you can bring someone like TB around. He's always been incredibly stubborn and proud, and he's gone all in with GG now. That said, I don't think it's a crime to talk to him on his show.

Anyways, should probably not talk much more about this. It'll just derail the thread.

I know we're all in a tizzy right now, but this is the real thing here. Do you think that Paul will be in on this? Or did they film it before he got in?

Well, since it went on the schedule today they probably recorded it today. So who knows?

I would save the outrage until that doesn't happen, then.

Being preemptively mad about something is... Cart before horse

To be clear, I'm not mad about a hypothetical conversation that may or may not occur, despite how cynical I am about how such a conversation might turn out. I'm mad about the legitimacy Danny gives TB the moment he says "I believe this person is worth my time and attention".

He tweeted earlier this week that he believed a (white, male) critic of his had mental difficulties, shortly after said critic called for the industry to move away from TB.

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
Total Biscuit continues to be a cunt, Gawker media and all of its subsidiaries continue to be a joke, and Danny came off quite reasonable in that post overall but yeah I can't respect him going on TB's show and lending him any sort of credibility.

Totalbiscuit is the de facto leader of GG now? People hate Danny because he talked with TB?

Holy shit calm your breeches. Like seriously. Danny can talk to whoever he wants about whatever subject he wants. You don't like that he doesn't 100% agree with you? Good then, he's not part of a mob.

Megasoum

Banned
Such high hopes for this thread. Started mid-Mario Party, had a world class OP, then TB had to get his stink on it...

It's not TB that put his stink on it, it's the gross overreaction by some to a totally fair and reasonable tumblr post by a very cool dude that proved countless times in the last 2 years that he was great guy.

It's not TB that put his stink on it, it's the gross overreaction by some to a totally fair and reasonable tumblr post by a very cool dude that proved countless times in the last 2 years that he was great guy.

Exactly. Like, why are we trying to shame Danny for talking with TB? The fuck is this shit? people who do that type of stuff are no better than GGers.

Myggen

Totalbiscuit is the de facto leader of GG now? People hate Danny because he talked with TB?

Holy shit calm your breeches. Like seriously. Danny can talk to whoever he wants about whatever subject he wants. You don't like that he doesn't 100% agree with you? Good then, he's not part of a mob.

I don't think any here "hates" Danny, and I doubt many other fans will "hate" him because of this. But it's normal for people to not want someone they respect to go on a show with someone who have opinions they hate, see all the debates about whether scientists should debate global warming deniers or creationists.

I still think Danny is a good guy. Notice how I have only referred to his specific actions and attitudes right now in a negative light.

I don't judge a book by the page I last read, but it's sure as hell the thing that leaves the most current impression on me

I don't think any here "hates" Danny, and I doubt many other fans will "hate" him because of this. But it's normal for people to not want someone they respect to go on a show with someone who have opinions they hate, see all the debates about whether scientists should debate global warming deniers or creationists.
Yeah, it being common doesn't mean it's reasonable. People are free to do as they like, and their "fans" need to get the fuck over that fact.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom