• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb |OT31| I Think it Might Be for Show

strafer

I find that disloyal boyfriend meme hilarious. God, I am such a millennial.

it was at first but now it's starting to get on my fucking nerve, as with everything that is milked to death, except for some things though.

But this one in particular is really starting to piss me off.

it was at first but now it's starting to get on my fucking nerve, as with everything that is milked to death, except for some things though.

I'm sure they're gonna run in into the ground but the one posted in here and a few in the off topic forum have made me chuckle.

vGl20pXl.jpg

I also have a sinking feeling that the GOTY deliberations won't be very exciting. For as many amazing games that have been released this year, only PUBG has seemingly captured the attention of most of the GB crew.

Dan's the only one that was over the moon for Zelda. Brad was also really into it, but he fell off hard later on. Jeff has a lot of nitpicks about it. Vinny and Abby enjoyed it but found the end game to be a wet fart. Alex and Ben liked what they played, but it didn't grab them. I don't even remember if Jason ever got into it.

Alex is the only believer in Nier. Ben really liked how it wrapped up, but he felt most of it was a slog. Jeff's done with it. I think Jason is too. I hope Vinny pushes through with it, but I'm expecting he'll get bored in the middle of route B. Abby and Dan aren't gonna play it. Brad will keep saying he will but he really won't. Even if those last 3 try, I also expect they'll get bored with it before getting to route B.

Alex loves Yakuza 0, but Vinny will only half-heartedly support him in the story department. No chance Vinny plays more than a couple of hours of it. Dan will push back in every single argument except for maybe best moments?

Alex and Ben like Persona 5 but with a lot of reservations. I don't see them fighting for it in anyway. Vinny's not getting out of Kamoshida's palace. The rest of the crew isn't touching it.

Dan and Vinny like RE7, but nowhere close to championing it. Nobody else will play it. I guess Jeff might try it with VR, but he's never enjoyed horror games so I doubt that changes anything for him.

Jason's the only one who stuck with Nioh, and I don't even think he even bear it. Jeff ain't going back. Brad and Vinny have clearly burnt out on anything Souls-like so there's zero chance it gets mentioned apart from Jason's personal list.

Alex, Abby, and Ben low-key really like Night in the Woods. No fervor so it's not a contender.

Jeff gave that 5-star review for Horizon, but he's already forgotten about it, and nobody else cares for it. Its length and scale will keep Brad from touching it despite him constantly reminding himself that he will.

Only Rorie cares about Wildlands. Jeff actively hates everything around it.

The people who've played Edith Finch like it but don't love it.

Alex, Abby, Jeff, and Dan enjoyed Splatoon 2, but Abby's the only one who didn't immediately abandon it to play more PUBG, and I doubt she sticks with it for long when all the other game journalists she's making friends with are just playing PUBG instead. Also, these staff members say it's just more Splatoon but with less forgivable online fuck-ups.

Everyone who touched Prey found it too hard and were just warm on it anyway.

Vinny and Alex like Pyre, but they also don't love it.

Arms and Tacoma came and went with very little fanfare.

Jeff enjoyed Injustice 2. He's not coming back to that. Not when there are so many old games he can be playing instead!

Brad is the only Hellblade defender. It will likely stay that way for the rest of the year.

That's pretty much all the big stuff they've mentioned playing at least once.

Dan is alone in loving Zelda. Alex is alone in loving Nier. Nothing else excites the rest of the crew like playing with buddies and getting a chicken dinner in PUBG.

Mario+Rabbids will be the talk of the week. Or two. Wolfenstein will be the same. I can see Vinny talking up Wardor for a month. Brad and Jeff will keep wanting to talk about Destiny 2 sporadically for the rest of the year, but I'm bracing for more disappointment. AssCreed ain't doing shit.

Odyssey has to be glorious for them to even just like it, but I have a feeling it'll just be alright for the majority of the crew. Super Mario 3D World was the last great 3D platformer, and they kicked it to the curb. Odyssey will charm them with its weirdness, but playing it won't be super engaging for them.

There's gonna be a crazy 8-man squad video for PUBG with the whole crew come GOTY time, and everyone will love it.

there you go case closed i never have to post about goty ever again also i never meant for this to go as long as it did but i realized i was in too deep halfway through that i had to just go all the way and finish this incredibly close reading of giant bomb's game opinions in the year of our lord 2017 you're welcome

Early Access games can't be GotY.

Case closed.
write a book, grandpa

but seriously, there are still A LOT of games yet to come out this year that could totally shake up discussions

Mario + Rabbids, Life Is Strange, Divinity II, RUINER, Cuphead, Forza, Shadow of War, The Evil Within 2, South Park, Destiny, Wolfenstein, Mario, DUSK, AssCreed, CoD, Battlefront, and probably a few others I'm forgetting

I agree if it's all about PUBG it will be fairly boring, but I think it's still anyone's game

There's a chance Shadow of Wardor could be GotY.

...But there's also a chance Sexy Shelob could be crowned Best New Character.

I don't believe either of these chances are good.

Phatmac

That new Uncharted game is pretty good. Only problem is they keep calling Chole's last name which sounds like Frasier. It's taking me out of the game.

- J - D -

I also have a sinking feeling that the GOTY deliberations won't be very exciting. For as many amazing games that have been released this year, only PUBG has seemingly captured the attention of most of the GB crew.

Dan's the only one that was over the moon for Zelda. Brad was also really into it, but he fell off hard later on. Jeff has a lot of nitpicks about it. Vinny and Abby enjoyed it but found the end game to be a wet fart. Alex and Ben liked what they played, but it didn't grab them. I don't even remember if Jason ever got into it.

Alex is the only believer in Nier. Ben really liked how it wrapped up, but he felt most of it was a slog. Jeff's done with it. I think Jason is too. I hope Vinny pushes through with it, but I'm expecting he'll get bored in the middle of route B. Abby and Dan aren't gonna play it. Brad will keep saying he will but he really won't. Even if those last 3 try, I also expect they'll get bored with it before getting to route B.

Alex loves Yakuza 0, but Vinny will only half-heartedly support him in the story department. No chance Vinny plays more than a couple of hours of it. Dan will push back in every single argument except for maybe best moments?

Alex and Ben like Persona 5 but with a lot of reservations. I don't see them fighting for it in anyway. Vinny's not getting out of Kamoshida's palace. The rest of the crew isn't touching it.

Dan and Vinny like RE7, but nowhere close to championing it. Nobody else will play it. I guess Jeff might try it with VR, but he's never enjoyed horror games so I doubt that changes anything for him.

Jason's the only one who stuck with Nioh, and I don't even think he even bear it. Jeff ain't going back. Brad and Vinny have clearly burnt out on anything Souls-like so there's zero chance it gets mentioned apart from Jason's personal list.

Alex, Abby, and Ben low-key really like Night in the Woods. No fervor so it's not a contender.

Jeff gave that 5-star review for Horizon, but he's already forgotten about it, and nobody else cares for it. Its length and scale will keep Brad from touching it despite him constantly reminding himself that he will.

Alex, Abby, Jeff, and Dan enjoyed Splatoon 2, but Abby's the only one who didn't immediately abandon it to play more PUBG, and I doubt she sticks with it for long when all the other game journalists she's making friends with are just playing PUBG instead. Also, these staff members say it's just more Splatoon but with less forgivable online fuck-ups.

Jeff enjoyed Injustice 2. He's not coming back to that. Not when there are so many old games he can be playing instead!

Brad is the only Hellblade defender. It will likely stay that way for the rest of the year.

Dan is alone in loving Zelda. Alex is alone in loving Nier. Nothing else excites the rest of the crew like playing with buddies and getting a chicken dinner in PUBG.

Mario+Rabbids will be the talk of the week. Or two. Wolfenstein will be the same. I can see Vinny talking up Wardor for a month. Brad and Jeff will keep wanting to talk about Destiny 2 sporadically for the rest of the year, but I'm bracing for more disappointment. AssCreed ain't doing shit.

Odyssey has to be glorious for them to even just like it, but I have a feeling it'll just be alright for the majority of the crew. Super Mario 3D World was the last great 3D platformer, and they kicked it to the curb. Odyssey will charm them with its weirdness, but playing it won't be super engaging for them.

There's gonna be a crazy 8-man squad video for PUBG with the whole crew come GOTY time, and everyone will love it.

there you go case closed i never have to post about goty ever again also i never meant for this to go as long as it did but i realized i was in too deep halfway through that i had to just go all the way and finish this incredibly close reading of giant bomb's game opinions in the year of our lord 2017 you're welcome

Young Liar's bedroom:
vlcsnap-701835.png

Just a small correction. Both Rorie and Ben said in the latest UPF that they were LOVING Prey.

e: Also Abby's favorite game so far is Night in the Woods(going by the 1099 podcast , which released before Splatoon 2. It may well be Splatoon 2 now).

BTA

Night in the Woods is going to be a contender for a high numbered spot. It deserves more than that, but Abby specifically said that's what she's thinking of and I think Alex will back her up.

Otherwise who knows with this year. I expect Rabbids and Odyssey might do better than Zelda (regardless of them looking like they'll be great too) just because they'll be much more recently released. That's about all I can guess.

Like I said before, I don't care about PUBG ranking highly/first as much as I just hope it doesn't kill discussions. Rather, I don't really care about what wins as much as I hope for fun discussions and no shitty dismissals of good games just so they can get cut.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=247049690&postcount=11

Don't get me wrong, I'm not suggesting anything other than PUBG has a real chance of being #1 GOTY, but the same was pretty true for Hitman last year and the interesting discussions happened outside of the #1 spot anyway

This kind of touches on why I think PUB won't get it. Last year, Doom seemed like the clear winner until Jeff made a case against it due to technical reasons; PUB is, as I see it, in the same boat. There will be other games that are more well-rounded/finalised choices. You can't deflect GotY-level criticisms as "yeah but, it might get better it's still in development."

Personally, I think PUB already screwed up with paid lootboxes in their Early Access game. Like, get the framerate smoothed out before you go bananas with extra microtransactions for your most-played game on Steam.

Aselith

Man, the on planet portions of that SC demo are pretty fucking cool. Will be interested to watch some streams when they get 3.0 out the door.

Finished Zero Time Dilemma, and, uh... that's it?

heh_robin_hood_men_in_tights.gif

It was okay until those last few hours, but I almost wish it was the massive clusterfuck I was expecting based on impressions.

BTA

I really wish I liked Night in the Woods. After I stopped playing it I read the synopsis and it sounds like it goes some interesting places, but it took waaaaaaayyyyyy too long to get going and I was really miffed by some of the choices I was forced into.

I think it's pacing was a little weird but as someone who likes to explore everything in games if I can and is admittedly far more patient/tolerant than most of tedium in doing so, I really liked that rhythm of seeing what was up in the town and talking to everyone, which made the journey itself super enjoyable.

And I also liked the lack of good options at times, to be honest? Mae, well, can be a super shitty friend at times and that's who that character is. The options presented weren't what I would have picked but as a result going through that situation was interesting to me.

Finished Zero Time Dilemma, and, uh... that's it?

heh_robin_hood_men_in_tights.gif

It was okay until those last few hours, but I almost wish it was the massive clusterfuck I was expecting based on impressions.

Welcome to the disappointment zone. To be honest I started getting annoyed/sad/angry back when
Phi basically got written out of anything interesting happening with her still around, and then we only learned about her through Sigma and Diana suddenly getting laughably forced together as a couple
, so it was a massive clusterfuck to me, though I get how some people might not have a problem with it till later stuff,

The good news is that your next destinations while traveling through that VN black hole should be much more pleasant!

Top Bottom