• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb |OT32| I've been meaning to love a boat

Mr. F

Banned
I just noticed stardew valley didn't get shown in the Nintendo Direct.

The dream is dead.

Yeah it's a bummer they couldn't pin a date for that or Hollow Knight still. Granted Steamworld Dig 2 and Golf Story before end of month have me pretty excited.

That girl's outfit in Xenoblade Chronicles 2 is peak Japan. Gets me every time there's a new trailer, lol.

Please don't waste your time with Root Letter. It's incredibly boring and the protagonist sucks and the mystery isn't even good. I regret playing it so badly that whenever it's on sale I go out of my way to remind people not to buy it. I mean, this sale was only like $5, so maybe give it a try if you already bought it, but like... it is not anywhere near as good as I was hoping and I was super disappointed.

Damn, I'll temper expectations :(

drabnon

Dan has been staying up to play Destiny every night. Seems like a lock for top ten, just a question of how high it gets. Any guesses?
i'm going to say it sits around 7.

Just finished Destiny 2.

QcmPAKp.gif

lmao at that final mission and boss. Campaign starts out strong and ends in a MEH kind of way with a big ass cliffhanger(not surprisingly). It has a few good moments though here and there but nothing worth writing home about. I also didn't care about anyone or anything in the game because if you didn't read on the lore like me and dropped hard off D1, get prepared to be disappointed because the game explains nothing nor does it recap you on anything save for some throwaway lines about the traveler.

Biggest positives for me are the soundtrack, art direction and gameplay. The gameplay itself doesn't save the game when you're playing alone though because there's nothing for you to get invested in and thus it just feels like you're going through the motions. Especially since the game isn't particularly something new, unlike when the first game released. Like the game is in some weird limbo state of not feeling like a full on sequel but also not feeling like an expansion since it's bigger then that, it's sort of in the middle. It does have a great amount of post game content for you to do but as I said, doing it alone just feels boring because you have no investment in the world. You'll care more about how your character looks than whatever the fuck is happening with the traveler or Lance Reddick.

To conclude, this won't have the same impact that Destiny 1 had because it does a poor job of fleshing out what it's all about and instead gives you cookie cutter characters wrapped around an interesting world that feels impenetrable to anyone who wasn't all about the grimoire cards or whatever. I also find it disappointing that it doesn't explain to you some of the important game systems that benefits the fuck out of you like weapon fusions, weapon mods, materials found on certain planets and so on and so forth. Like some of it is buried under sub menus and shit. It just feels like an oversight when they should've done more I felt. They are moving on the right path but they're not completely there and at this point I don't know if doing a third game will get them there since at times it just feels like they're cramming too much shit in there without taking the time to flesh anything out. I guess get the game if you only care about LOOT, want to play with friends or if you want the perfect podcast game.

BTA

That girl's outfit in Xenoblade Chronicles 2 is peak Japan. Gets me every time there's a new trailer, lol.

Damn, I'll temper expectations :(

Yeah, sorry to be a bummer. It's annoying because there's nothing particularly problematic or gross about it, even? It's just very boring with a protagonist who is just constantly arbitrarily a jerk for no clear reason. And all the adventure game-style puzzles aren't even really puzzles because you never really have to stop what you're doing to go find something you don't have yet, which makes the inventory/item collecting part of the game sorta worthless due to how simple it is. The mystery is not particularly interesting and all the non-True endings are "what if" explanations instead of actually trying to flesh out the mystery.

If you do play it I would suggest that you get your first ending and then you should have the True ending unlocked, I think, so just get that and be done with it? I thought the True ending it itself was actually good (though nothing special), but everything before it is not worth it at all.

BTA

Anyway, here's that Shine data (again, forgot to get gumball colors for most of the episodes).

All I've learned from wasting this time is that Google Sheets fucking sucks and I should have just done this in Excel since I have a small amount of knowledge of pivot table there from messing around for other things, and that would at least let me do basic things like editing axis scales.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Horizon?

Nobody other than jeff seems to feel that strongly about horizon. And even jeff said it didn't stick with him.

Anyway, here's that Shine data (again, forgot to get gumboil color for most of the episodes).

All I've learned from wasting this time is that Google Sheets fucking sucks and I should have just done this in Excel since I have a small amount of knowledge of pivot table there from messing around for other things, and that would at least let me do basic things like editing axis scales.

6eYMAgT.gif

Why would that turn things around?
Because it has the potential to make things very interesting. The game wrapped up but had a stinger like a motherfucker. I'd like to see them expand on that or tease us until they do a sequel. Then again, I'm one of those people that really loved the world of Horizon so giving us any glimpse of what we saw in the end is a treat.

e: That and well, it'll keep the game in people's minds more.

BTA

Now if I wanted to actually be ridiculous I'd track bets and the actual shift in held Shines over time.

But I'm already in the middle of an extremely tedious personal project so I have no time for nor want to do that.

Antiwhippy

Because it has the potential to make things very interesting. The game wrapped up but had a stinger like a motherfucker. I'd like to see them expand on that or tease us until they do a sequel. Then again, I'm one of those people that really loved the world of Horizon so giving us any glimpse of what we saw in the end is a treat.

Ah, I'm more referring to the duder's impressions on the games. It's just that people usually put it highly on what they expect GB's top 10 to be and the impression I always get from them is not that strong at all, so that always confuses me. I guess people kinda expect it by default?

Last week's beastcast was like a collective meh around it.

BTA

...ok, I have a question for Apple's autocorrect: why would you turn "gumball" into "gumboil" instead of "gum ball"?

Antiwhippy

It's not as bad as google keyboard thinking that whenever I swype "people", I really meant to type "Pele". Because I'm always talking about Pele.

BTA

It's not as bad as google keyboard thinking that whenever I swype "people", I really meant to type "Pele". Because I'm always talking about Pele.

I think it's happened less lately but my pet peeve for years was how much my iPhone switched "do" and "so" for no clear reason.

Antiwhippy

I think it's happened less lately but my pet peeve for years was how much my iPhone switched "do" and "so" for no clear reason.

See this makes sense, because s and d are side by side.

Why would I ever talk about pele more than I talk about people?

Ah, I'm more referring to the duder's impressions on the games. It's just that people usually put it highly on what they expect GB's top 10 to be and the impression I always get from them is not that strong at all, so that always confuses me. I guess people kinda expect it by default?

Last week's beastcast was like a collective meh around it.
I will be surprised if the game ends up being above 5 on the GB collective list. For me it's at #6 so far.
Do you like trauma?
Do you like being in a loop?

Sunshine continues to be amazing even when they're stuck on one level for most of it. I can't believe we saw both Abby and Dan break in the same episode.

TraBuch

Banned
The Disaster Artist looks sooooo gooooood.

I'm not a huge fan of F&40, but they really need to do The Room. That's pretty much the one movie everyone needs to do as like a right of passage.

Then they can read the book and do a new Bomb After Reading podcast about the The Disaster Artist book. Remember that?

And then Rorie and Alex could do a Box Office Bomb podcast about The Disaster Artist movie.

The biggest problem I have with Destiny 2's story campaign is the Fallen and Hive and Vex keep showing up and they don't explain why or what their motivations are?

Tagyhag

The Vita was the best platform to play Rogue Legacy, Spelunky, and The Binding of Isaac. Fact.

Can't speak for Isaac but no freaking way for Rogue and Spelunky with that thumbstick.

I did sooooo much better in both those games with an Xbox One controller.

Top Bottom