• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb |OT32| I've been meaning to love a boat

I can't describe just how much I love stupid shit like this in Destiny. Hope they continue to introduce more opportunities for this kind of thing in the social areas.

By the way Steins gate is on sale so you have three days to convince me to buy it, VN duders

It's... it's worth playing if you're extremely, extremely patient. I still kind of think the first half is straight-up bad but that second half fucking rocks.

TraBuch

Banned
The dpad is like the best thing about the Vita's controls.

By the way Steins gate is on sale so you have three days to convince me to buy it, VN duders

Why would I try to convince you to buy something bad? It's a Visual Novel. It's boring. It's too long. It could be edited down to half the length and nothing would be lost.

Watch the anime instead. It's better and it won't take you nearly as long.

Oh God damn you, I'm gonna be so mad when this turns out to not be true. That would be such a good pairing!

Shit!

Arkane might be the best devs in the industry today.

Why have them work on games that super bombed like Prey and Dishonored 2 when Bethesda can use that sweet, sweet Nintendo money to keep the studio afloat? I wonder if it would be the France or US team? Probably France, right?

But it had bad multiplayer and that's way worse than the game that doesn't have multiplayer.

The multiplayer is a separate download on Switch, so now it's better than Hitman. Unless you download it. Then it's bad again.

I'm surprised you haven't read it already tbh.

The dpad is like the best thing about the Vita's controls.

Why would I try to convince you to buy something bad? It's a Visual Novel. It's boring. It's too long. It could be edited down to half the length and nothing would be lost.

Watch the anime instead. It's better and it won't take you nearly as long.
Hah, the anime is significantly worse and uglier.

BTA

Just beat the World 3 boss in Rabbids; just barely got a perfect too thanks to
him turning to shoot apparently catching Luigi's overwatch on the last possible turn after I left him with a small amount of health; glad I popped that even though I thought it wouldn't work, wow.

Beyond being a cool boss conceptually the combat in that fight was actually pretty cool as well.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
Every time I think they've gotten all the bad stuff out of the way in mario sunshine, and every time the bad just keeps coming.

It's starting to remind me how much I hated that game. I do remember liking the jetpackless challenges, but even for some of those there's bullshit you have to get there and redo every game over.

BTA

I honestly don't know how I put up with all these bullshit levels in Sunshine as a child, my fondness for this game must have been like literal Stockholm Syndrome

I mean, I had plenty of games to play. But I don't remember how much time I spent trying stupid shit like this roller coaster level and it probably says something about me that I've never played past like Zone 3 in a Sonic game but I got every Shine in SMS

All I remember clearly when it comes to my thoughts while playing it as a kid is being frustrated by the secret levels. I don't know if I ever got deep into the more annoying Shines though; I know I never even beat the game.

Every time I think they've gotten all the bad stuff out of the way in mario sunshine, and every time the bad just keeps coming.

Going by some stuff I found a week or two ago (read: a super informal poll I found in an old GameFAQs thread) they've still got some notable bullshit to deal with.

Maybe I should mark those levels in the spreadsheet? Hmm.

I honestly don't know how I put up with all these bullshit levels in Sunshine as a child, my fondness for this game must have been like literal Stockholm Syndrome

Partly because you weren't playing it 1 to 2 hours a nice a week and even then only 25 percent of the time, so the controls weren't so wonky for you, and you could skip the bullshit shines you really didn't need to get.

http://jeff.zone/post/165319923441/what-are-your-personal-top-100-mario-party
SU3VDj7.png

BTA

I skimmed through a few sources and marked the levels that seem to be considered hard in the doc.

They're gonna have fun with the rest of Noki Bay and Pianta Village, neither of which I remember particularly well.

That lilypad stage seems particularly notorious to the point that I wonder if it'll take multiple episodes.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
Going by some stuff I found a week or two ago (read: a super informal poll I found in an old GameFAQs thread) they've still got some notable bullshit to deal with.

Maybe I should mark those levels in the spreadsheet? Hmm.
Ah, yes. That's a good list.

I think bolded they still haven't done if I remember right:

Delfino Plaza - Yoshi and the Toxic Flume (15 votes)
Delfino Plaza - Pachincko Pain (10 votes)
Corona Mountain (7 votes)
Pianta Village - Secret of the Village Underside (6 votes)
Sirena Beach - The Manta Storm (5 votes)
Pinna Park - Roller Coaster Balloons (4 votes)
Pianta Village - Fluff Festival Coin Hunt (3 votes)
Noki Bay - The Shell's Secret (3 votes)
Ricco Harbor - Yoshi's Fruit Adventure (2 vote)
Ricco Harbor - Red Coins on the Water (2 votes)
Noki Bay - Eely-Mouth's Dentist (2 votes)
Pinna Park - The Yoshi-Go-Round's Secret (1 vote)
Pianta Village - The Goopy Inferno (1 vote)
Ricco Harbor - Blooper Surfing Safari ( 1 vote)
Noki Bay - The Red Coin Fish (1 vote)
Sirena Beach - Scrubbing Sirena Beach (1 vote)
Sirena Beach - Mysterious Hotel Delfino (1 vote)

https://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/533287-super-mario-sunshine/53502572?page=7

They have to do 8 out of the 11 that got 2 votes or more. I bet they'll especially hate the Fluff Festival Coin Hunt. Finding hard to find red coins isn't exactly their specialty.

Plus other not hard but really dumb stuff like King Boo Down Below.

BTA

Ah, yes. That's a good list.

I think bolded they still haven't done if I remember right:

Current Results:
Delfino Plaza - Yoshi and the Toxic Flume (15 votes)
Delfino Plaza - Pachincko Pain (10 votes)
Corona Mountain (7 votes)
Pianta Village - Secret of the Village Underside (6 votes)
Sirena Beach - The Manta Storm (5 votes)
Pinna Park - Roller Coaster Balloons (4 votes)
Pianta Village - Fluff Festival Coin Hunt (3 votes)
Noki Bay - The Shell's Secret (3 votes)
Ricco Harbor - Yoshi's Fruit Adventure (2 vote)
Ricco Harbor - Red Coins on the Water (2 votes)
Noki Bay - Eely-Mouth's Dentist (2 votes)
Pinna Park - The Yoshi-Go-Round's Secret (1 vote)
Pianta Village - The Goopy Inferno (1 vote)
Ricco Harbor - Blooper Surfing Safari ( 1 vote)
Noki Bay - The Red Coin Fish (1 vote)
Sirena Beach - Scrubbing Sirena Beach (1 vote)
Sirena Beach - Mysterious Hotel Delfino (1 vote)

https://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/533287-super-mario-sunshine/53502572?page=7

That's the list, yeah (plus some other article I found). They haven't done Scrubbing Sirena Beach or The Red Coin fish either.

(It should be noted that some of Corona Mountain's votes were apparently due to its blue coins, but still.)

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
I skimmed through a few sources and marked the levels that seem to be considered hard in the doc.

They're gonna have fun with the rest of Noki Bay and Pianta Village, neither of which I remember particularly well.

That lilypad stage seems particularly notorious to the point that I wonder if it'll take multiple episodes.

Cool, what's the link to the doc?

BTA

Cool, what's the link to the doc?

It's here; I first posted it on the last page.

I'll be updating it every episode.

The more I think about it the more I sorta would like to track things bet by bet too, since that'd be cool to have a record of, but that'd require the series running long enough that I have the time to rewatch and I don't know if that'll be the case.

Joeku

Just finished Destiny 2.

QcmPAKp.gif

lmao at that final mission and boss. Campaign starts out strong and ends in a MEH kind of way with a big ass cliffhanger(not surprisingly). It has a few good moments though here and there but nothing worth writing home about. I also didn't care about anyone or anything in the game because if you didn't read on the lore like me and dropped hard off D1, get prepared to be disappointed because the game explains nothing nor does it recap you on anything save for some throwaway lines about the traveler.

Biggest positives for me are the soundtrack, art direction and gameplay. The gameplay itself doesn't save the game when you're playing alone though because there's nothing for you to get invested in and thus it just feels like you're going through the motions. Especially since the game isn't particularly something new, unlike when the first game released. Like the game is in some weird limbo state of not feeling like a full on sequel but also not feeling like an expansion since it's bigger then that, it's sort of in the middle. It does have a great amount of post game content for you to do but as I said, doing it alone just feels boring because you have no investment in the world. You'll care more about how your character looks than whatever the fuck is happening with the traveler or Lance Reddick.

To conclude, this won't have the same impact that Destiny 1 had because it does a poor job of fleshing out what it's all about and instead gives you cookie cutter characters wrapped around an interesting world that feels impenetrable to anyone who wasn't all about the grimoire cards or whatever. I also find it disappointing that it doesn't explain to you some of the important game systems that benefits the fuck out of you like weapon fusions, weapon mods, materials found on certain planets and so on and so forth. Like some of it is buried under sub menus and shit. It just feels like an oversight when they should've done more I felt. They are moving on the right path but they're not completely there and at this point I don't know if doing a third game will get them there since at times it just feels like they're cramming too much shit in there without taking the time to flesh anything out. I guess get the game if you only care about LOOT, want to play with friends or if you want the perfect podcast game.
Also just finished D2, and long story short, agree pretty much entirely with DM here.

Like, there's a hint of "coming-together-ness" towards the end but
oh well,
no consequences, no anything. No character development, no changing of the status quo; the fucking closest thing to that is the person who was spurned by the Vanguard being called "Guardian" and that could be good or bad or mean three different things.

What a fucking waste of good VAs.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
It's here; I first posted it on the last page.

I'll be updating it every episode.

The more I think about it the more I sorta would like to track things bet by bet too, since that'd be cool to have a record of, but that'd require the series running long enough that I have the time to rewatch and I don't know if that'll be the case.

Thanks.

That Shell's Secret one is going to be fun to watch. Its that level where you run into a complete dead end and leaves you at a complete loss about what to do next until you realize the janky speedrun exploit type of jump they want you to do.

Joeku

Didn't Brad say that the ending of Destiny 2 is one of the best things ever?

It reminds me most of Mass Effect 2:
there's a two-second long shot of a pyramid surrounded by smaller pyramids in space turning towards the Traveler's Galactic Ping.

Except...it's like end of ME2 without the setup of the previous two games to carry it.

Edit: Honestly it's actually super lame and it would be saccharine if the cinematic direction had any weight to it. It's straight-up less fucking stupid than D1 but still, Christ.

It reminds me most of Mass Effect 2:
there's a two-second long shot of a pyramid surrounded by smaller pyramids in space turning towards the Traveler's Galactic Ping.

Except...it's like end of ME2 without the setup of the previous two games to carry it.

Edit: Honestly it's actually super lame and it would be saccharine if the cinematic direction had any weight to it. It's straight-up less fucking stupid than D1 but still, Christ.

actually it's been teased since Destiny's concept art

so there's been build up

Joeku

actually it's been teased since Destiny's concept art

so there's been build up

I mean...OK, but that's not the same as
the standing shadow over the first Mass Effect, the conversation with Sovereign, the constant Collectors weighing on you in ME2, the Prothean and "DIRECT CONTROL" twists, and the kind of tolerable fight with baby human Reaper.

I mean...OK, but that's not the same as
the standing shadow over the first Mass Effect, the conversation with Sovereign, the constant Collectors weighing on you in ME2, the Prothean and "DIRECT CONTROL" twists, and the kind of tolerable fight with baby human Reaper.

hmmm

but Mass Effect ended with Andromeda. As long as Destiny never ends with their own Andromeda, I can fairly say Destiny will always do it better than ME.

:)

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
The bubblegumness was definitely there and is it he best descriptor for it but it isn't the bubblegum hellscape I imagined after reading this. It isn't unpleasantly strong.

Yeah but it's not what you'd expect from something called Irn Bru. Like you would think it would be something more "tuff" like ginger ale.

Joeku

hmmm

but Mass Effect ended with Andromeda. As long as Destiny never ends with their own Andromeda, I can fairly say Destiny will always do it better than ME.

:)

Destiny 1 was Andromeda before Andromeda.

With a dash of Borderlands 2 added to the second.

I cannot believe how much unnecessary snark and smarm is in this. The whole thing sound like someone had really good microphones set up while they recorded their DnD campaign, and since this is Space Fantasy they didn't even have to change any proper nouns.
Cayde, Asher, and FUCKING Failsafe
are the absolute worst.

It's fucking mind-boggling.

I only got like five hours into ME:A but that one cutscene of the bad guy imitating and trying to learn how to interact with that Totally-Not-Prothean interface by mimicking Totally-Not-Shepard (or someone else who fucking knows)? That's better than anything in Destiny 2. Easily.

Top Bottom