• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb |OT32| I've been meaning to love a boat

It's been a few years and I think I'm officially ready to declare The Last of Us my favorite game of all time. It's the complete package. The gameplay is the perfect balance between stealth and action for me. The only game that comes close is Splinter Cell: Blacklist. Sure, there are games that do stealth better, and there are games that do action better, but no other game has such a perfect mix of both. The story, characters, atmosphere, music and graphics need zero explanation. The multiplayer is one of the most underappreciated multiplayer modes of all time. The game's replayability is off the charts for a linear, story-driven TPS. I've played it six times just to experience the world and gameplay again and I've never once gotten bored even though I know what's coming. I'm still enthralled by all the cutscenes. Despite seeing everything six times, I still get intensely sad throughout the game.

People can say the story is derivative of other movies and books all they want, I don't care. It's so goddamn good.

I agree that game is something special. What Naughty Dog did with that game is amazing.

Xeteh

People are almost creepily happy when someone dislikes Destiny 2.
Y'all gotta learn to let go of your hatred for it at some point.

Yeah, its weird. Also how shocked people get when they talk about Destiny on the podcast. They should only talk about games I want to hear about and not what they like.

Teddified

Leaving narrative to one side, The Phantom Pain's gotta take it for perfect stealth/action blend imo. But I do like TLOU's gameplay quite a bit, I think it's underrated. Few things more satisfying then bricking a guy and beating the shit out of him.

It was amazing to me when I heard some people at GB just switching to easy just to finish it. Man survival difficulty in that game is amazing.

Jeff being down on Destiny 2 is music to my ears.

The spoilercast was cathartic as fuck. Looking forward to listening to the podcast when it drops.
It's been a few years and I think I'm officially ready to declare The Last of Us my favorite game of all time. It's the complete package. The gameplay is the perfect balance between stealth and action for me. The only game that comes close is Splinter Cell: Blacklist. Sure, there are games that do stealth better, and there are games that do action better, but no other game has such a perfect mix of both. The story, characters, atmosphere, music and graphics need zero explanation. The multiplayer is one of the most underappreciated multiplayer modes of all time. The game's replayability is off the charts for a linear, story-driven TPS. I've played it six times just to experience the world and gameplay again and I've never once gotten bored even though I know what's coming. I'm still enthralled by all the cutscenes. Despite seeing everything six times, I still get intensely sad throughout the game.

People can say the story is derivative of other movies and books all they want, I don't care. It's so goddamn good.

I don't know about it being my all time favorite game but I finished it 5 times when it came out and everytime near the end I get a big ass lump in my throat. Naughty Dog did something special when it came to the facial animation in that game, especially the eyes. And that fucking soundtrack. I really DON'T want a sequel but I have faith in ND that they're only doing a trilogy because they have something worth telling.

BTA

The only way I'm opening my 3DS is for Culdecept Revolt.

I still have my $6 copy of Miitopia to play as a commute game whenever I actually finish my stay in Vita VN hell but otherwise, yeah, Culdcept in a couple weeks is the reason I'll use my 3DS.

And Layton, but I want to at least play the copy of Layton 4 I bought a while ago first.

Thanks to playing a fuckton of Picross 3D from Christmas through May or so (which I still have to finish the last two puzzles in; one is 50 minutes timed though and I can't beat it and I'm only trying like once a month at this point) I definitely used my DS way more than my 3DS this year.

freetacos

Eh it's probably a wash but people seem to be fading off of Destiny 2 aside from Brad. And Zelda got the rare reverse Gerstmann, Jeff started out really disliking it before coming around on it

Dan is still VERY strong on it, and I believe Abby has been playing a lot with Danika (from what I can tell from twitter). Also, with Zelda, it was a semi reverse Gerstmann. He came around on it, but not to the point of "loving it", just respecting it and sorta enjoying it.

I'd bet both zelda and destiny are both in the 3-6 range for GOTY for them.

People are really happy with it but it's a remake of an odd game in the Metroid series. There's not a lot to say beyond "Hey there's a new 2D metroid and hey it's pretty good". Beastcast will probably have more talk about it

Yup. Jason and Ben are on the fighting game releases/anime stuff, Brad is stroking some Destiny 2, and Jeff would normally be a guy who's all for a good Nintendo release except...

It's Metroid.

Hindl

Yup. Jason and Ben are on the fighting game releases/anime stuff, Brad is stroking some Destiny 2, and Jeff would normally be a guy who's all for a good Nintendo release except...

It's Metroid.
To be fair, Jeff did say he was enjoying it in the QL. Maybe he'll beat it and give a quick impression next week or on UPF. Or maybe someone can ask him about it on the call-in show!

Ohhh shit, there is a Xbox demo disc on the table during UPF.

It's got Call of Duty 2 on the cover.

OfficialXboxMagazine_DVDDisc_issue-54.jpg

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
None of them even play PUBG anymore.

None of them play anything for long stretches of time except Brad. Because they've got to play everything else coming out by GOTY time. Think about how much time they spent on PUBG compared to any other release they did this year.

To be fair, Jeff did say he was enjoying it in the QL. Maybe he'll beat it and give a quick impression next week or on UPF. Or maybe someone can ask him about it on the call-in show!

I'm just salty over his opinions over Super Metroid and Metroid Prime.

Metroid is wasted on this man.

Hasney

Did they even mention that ZOE2 is VR? Ouch

None of them play anything for long stretches of time except Brad. Because they've got to play everything else coming out by GOTY time. Think about how much time they spent on PUBG compared to any other release they did this year.

Think how much time they've spent on Super Mario Sunshine

BTA

I only played like 5-10 hours of Monster Hunter 4U but I really do think World might be the thing that grabs me like Destiny grabs people. Enough people I know will be getting it and it's something I can see myself not dropping immediately even though it's long with no real story. Anthem might be similar depending on how it turns out.

Real question is whether I should go PS4 like I want to or if enough people I'd play with will go PC that I should look into building a desktop already.

can't wait for Monster Hunter MonHunday streams and for the Bombcast to enforce the Destiny 2 Minutes block

Ohhh shit, there is a Xbox demo disc on the table during UPF.

It's got Call of Duty 2 on the cover.

this is what the disc has on it:

Playable X360 Demos: Call Of Duty 2

Playable Xbox Demos (Not playable on the X360): Half-Life 2, Painkiller, Stubbs The Zombie, Winning Eleven 9

Videos: Prey, Full Auto, Progressive Insurance, Roland

Features: Making Of Painkiller, Saint's Row Interview, Xbox 360 Launch Party
Seems kinda paltry compared to the Playstation Underground classics (and might even have two videos that were already seen before), but that
Launch Party
video is probably pretty good

Brad calling Spencer "A Genius at winning hearts and minds" over saying the obvious.

This ain't a "WOAH LOOK AT HOW BRILLIANT XBOX IS!" It's a "Woah, c'mon Sony, this is bullshit."

Xeteh

I want to play Japan Overwatch now

One of my favorite experiences in PSO back in the day was playing on Japanese servers. Players were so helpful and friendly, everyone would drop useful items in the hub to share with other players throughout the game. I ran in to a guy who was trying to improve his English and that was awesome, he was telling me what the other players were saying and what not. Great shit.

Zero315

Banned
Did they even mention that ZOE2 is VR? Ouch
I don't think they did. They didn't talk about a bunch of stuff they showed at the conference like FotNS, the PlayLink game, Gundam, EDF, etc.

Brad even said that FFIX is coming soon despite it already being released. It kills me how little he looks into the news stories before talking about them.

They're saying that now

I was more just annoyed by Brad's tone at the beginning. Glad Jeff got in there and toned things down a bit.

Don't get me wrong, Spencer's right on the money, but saying the obvious isn't a genius power play. It bugs me in the same sense that Sony's "Used Games" video always rubbed me the wrong way.

daveo42

Banned
The spoilercast was cathartic as fuck. Looking forward to listening to the podcast when it drops.

Any comments of note from the spoilercast other than them just covering the story beats? I'm sure they all enjoyed what they had played up to that point, though it does seem that Jeff isn't riding as high on the Destiny train as Brad has since Destiny 1.

Hasney

I was more just annoyed by Brad's tone at the beginning. Glad Jeff got in there and toned things down a bit.

Don't get me wrong, Spencer's right on the money, but saying the obvious isn't a genius power play. It bugs me in the same sense that Sony's "Used Games" video always rubbed me the wrong way.

When the world is crazy, saying the most obvious thing can seem like a moment of genius

Any comments of note from the spoilercast other than them just covering the story beats? I'm sure they all enjoyed what they had played up to that point, though it does seem that Jeff isn't riding as high on the Destiny train as Brad has since Destiny 1.

Nah, it was all story stuff. I assume the D2 talk on the Bombcast today was mostly about end game content.

BTA

Patrick was the only dude who would ever go out of his way to play games outside of his comfort zone.

I mean Vinny played all of Zero Escape like last year, right?

I don't expect anyone to play V3 beyond maybe a Quick Look though.

i want a collar x malice quick look

Top Bottom