• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb |OT32| I've been meaning to love a boat

Eh Gamecube era Nintendo rushed a lot of their software leading to a bunch of games that weren't as good as they should have been. Nintendo learned their lesson from all of that and doesn't really do that with their flagship titles anymore.

Yeah probably. Fortunately I don't have to take it on faith.

Switch impressions.

Solid handheld console.

Mario Kart 8 Deluxe is great.

I wish my download speeds were better because it took a few hours to download Mario Kart, are the physical copies quicker to download?

Hindl

Switch impressions.

Solid handheld console.

I wish my download speeds were better because it took a few hours to download Mario Kart, are the physical copies quicker to download?

It's a cart. There's no download for physical copies. You put it in and play

Switch impressions.

Solid handheld console.

I found that putting the system to sleep resulted in noticeably faster downloads.
It's a cart. There's no download for physical copies. You put it in and play

Not worth the trade-off!

Odyssey just looks boring to me. Like it has all these zany concepts and that's cool but I've seen very little of the game they built around that stuff that looks interesting. Caveat: platformers rarely show well and I'm not that into platformers to begin with. so idk man!!!

I'm willing to bet that when you get your hands on the game, you'll love it.

Just get a case with a bunch of cart slots built into it. I can have up to 8 games on me at any time

I just like having them all on the system. Downloads are plenty fast for me so far. I have been paying a slight premium though, since the downloads don't get the Amazon Prime discount.

oti

Banned
Super Mario 3D World was one of my favorite Mario games, and I have faith Odyssey will be even better.
3D World was lovely, but ultimately a disappointment. It wasn't better than the best game of all time, Mario Galaxy 2, and its multiplayer friendliness made it a worse Singleplayer Mario in my opinion.

I'm sure I'll have fun playing Odyssey, but the visuals are really off-putting to me for some reason. It's certainly colorful and it has a lot of that Nintendo Charm™, but it's also just kind of... bland? There are exceptions, but the often empty-looking worlds combined with that style of "cartoony but slightly realistic" texture work (in some worlds) just rubs me the wrong way. Kind of the same feeling I get from Everybody's Golf.

I bet that jumping feels sweet tho

Hindl

I just like having them all on the system. Downloads are plenty fast for me so far. I have been paying a slight premium though, since the downloads don't get the Amazon Prime discount.
Yeah fair enough. It's just I can save $12 getting physical and also I don't have to spend like crazy on a microSD card
I'm sure I'll have fun playing Odyssey, but the visuals are really off-putting to me for some reason. It's certainly colorful and it has a lot of that Nintendo Charm™, but it's also just kind of... bland? There are exceptions, but the often empty-looking worlds combined with that style of "cartoony but slightly realistic" texture work just rubs me the wrong way. (Kind of the same feeling I get from Everybody's Golf.)

I bet that jumping feels sweet tho
Yeah I feel you the graphics are odd. Although some of the newer areas that aren't trying to incorporate realistic graphics, like the Luncheon kingdom, look great

Lari

3D World was lovely, but ultimately a disappointment. It wasn't better than the best game of all time, Mario Galaxy 2, and its multiplayer friendliness made it a worse Singleplayer Mario in my opinion.

Well it not being better than the best game of all time is something I can live with.

Really want the beast crew to do some 4 player coop on that game. Them playing Champion's Road would be hilarious

I would watch the hell out of that!

Super Mario 3D World's quality is multiplied by the number of people you are playing it with

Really?! I only ever played that game by myself (having very few video game playing friends sucks)

oti

Banned
Well it not being better than the best game of all time is something I can live with.

Heh, fair enough. What I was trying to say is that 3D World lacked a certain ambition I expect from mainline Mario games. It did manage to create a great 3D Mario multiplayer game though.

Lari

Nothing will beat "I'm a Dog" for PSSOTY (pre stream song of the year)

p.s.: gaf should have a thumbs up or reaction emoji field for posts.

okay so I just saw a spoiler for mario odyssey that i would highly recommend everyone avoid. if it is truly what it is indicating then people are going to lose their minds when they encounter it.

BTA

okay so I just saw a spoiler for mario odyssey that i would highly recommend everyone avoid. if it is truly what it is indicating then people are going to lose their minds when they encounter it.

Yeah I saw that and wish I didn't but also don't think it's going to be that big if it's already out there, given how Nintendo is about not showing off secrets.

"I just saw a spoiler for this game AND IT SEEMS LIKE THE COOLEST THING EVER" is the exact opposite of what you should say if you don't want people to seek something out

what is it

Eh Gamecube era Nintendo rushed a lot of their software leading to a bunch of games that weren't as good as they should have been. Nintendo learned their lesson from all of that and doesn't really do that with their flagship titles anymore.

It's takes like these that confuse me. It's flying in the face of the progress made by Mario 3D World, Galaxy 1, and Galaxy 2. Two of those are among the best, most "pure" games ever made, the other is merely really great. It's been how many years since Sunshine?

EDIT:

I should iterate. My response isn't to the user I quoted, but the user Basileus quoted talking about how Sunshine makes the user worried about the quality of Odyssey.

It's takes like these that confuse me. It's flying in the face of the progress made by Mario 3D World, Galaxy 1, and Galaxy 2. Two of those are among the best, most "pure" games ever made, the other is merely really great. It's been how many years since Sunshine?

wait, which of the Galaxies is merely great

nmHkkNA.jpg

Top Bottom