• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb |OT32| I've been meaning to love a boat

I can't wait for the Kiwami playthrough to end and start arguments over whether Vinny or Abby should take over for 2, because if you thought Dan was bad in Yakuza 0, Kiwami's going to make Alex look even worse than that

Like, some real "maybe this was a mistake" shit

Tubobutts

I can't wait for the Kiwami playthrough to end and start arguments over whether Vinny or Abby should take over for 2, because if you thought Dan was bad in Yakuza 0, Kiwami's going to make Alex look even worse than that

Alex probably won't complain as much as Dan who still doesn't understand how heat works

daveo42

Banned

The issue is that Dan seemed to do nothing but complain in the back half of the series every time a fight came up. He actually has the same reaction in Soul Caliber when things in a fight aren't going his way. If Alex complains about the fighting in Kiwami, then maybe it's a series they shouldn't do. The change from Dan to Alex is a change of pace and the possibility that the person running the game won't grumble when he's gotta fight a dude.

robotrock

Banned
Really think Beast in the East 2 should play PS2 Yakuza. Let me experience the dub without actually playing it. You'll make Dan happier too with a dub, plus I'm sure he'll love the cast.

Also, as someone who just played through Yakuza 2 via PCSX2, I think I like the fighting system in that game more than 0 and Kiwami at least. It's a bit simpler and the punches feel real good.

That dual boss fight in the club was so fucking infuriating I nearly twisted my controller in half

Yup, that was garbage. Felt like every time I was handling one, the other one went off to regenerate health. Went back and fourth forever.

Hasney

That dual boss fight in the club was so fucking infuriating I nearly twisted my controller in half

Yup, that was garbage. Felt like every time I was handling one, the other one went off to regenerate health. Went back and fourth forever.

I never had an issue with that one so much. No-one should regen health because you can do the KIWAMI HEAT move on them when they try.

The dude on the roof with the guns and the final boss with ninjas that come back from the dead can absolutely fuck off though.

robotrock

Banned
I never had an issue with that one so much. No-one should regen health because you can do the KIWAMI HEAT move on them when they try.

The dude on the roof with the guns and the final boss with ninjas that come back from the dead can absolutely fuck off though.

Yeah roof dude he can fuck off for sure. I think my biggest issue in the game was still the Shimano fight in Chapter 4.

The issue is that Dan seemed to do nothing but complain in the back half of the series every time a fight came up. He actually has the same reaction in Soul Caliber when things in a fight aren't going his way. If Alex complains about the fighting in Kiwami, then maybe it's a series they shouldn't do. The change from Dan to Alex is a change of pace and the possibility that the person running the game won't grumble when he's gotta fight a dude.

I don't know that you can get through Kiwami without being sick of fighting at least by the time you fight Arase

Alex would be a helluva lot more patient than Dan though. He played through Yakuza 0 and was more forgiving of the combat system.

I can't overstate how much worse the fighting is in Kiwami

The plot twist at the end of Excuisite Corps is gonna be that Vinny is the Enemy Within, as he’s been the puppet master this whole time and is the one guiding them all to their inevitable doom.

Scizzy

My mind is increasingly drifting during the episodes, so I think I might cut down my future Exquisite Corps watchings to the opening montages. I'd get the best parts and stay caught up on everything that happens. A win-win.

Maybe they did this behind the scenes or something and I just don't know it, but I wish they would've taken a bit of time to write down a combat cheat sheet for Dan to have in front of him, or allocated some time for him to practice the combat or something. I know that's never really their style, but his frustration being largely based on confusion (and mashing, maybe?) wore me out by the end.

robotrock

Banned
I would love to see it just for the taxi combat reactions.

Yeah dude, 300%. I was just rewatching the Yakuza 5 quick look yesterday and I still think that's the best hour of Yakuza content on the site. It would be great for a GBeast playthrough too because the combat in 5 is such a breeze.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
My mind is increasingly drifting during the episodes, so I think I might cut down my future Exquisite Corps watchings to the opening montages. I'd get the best parts and stay caught up on everything that happens. A win-win.

Yeah, I still really like the concept but X-com being played mediocrely and being bogged down by a lot of indecisions isn't exactly my idea of thrilling gameplay. And I usually don't mind mediocre gameplay but giantbomb usually supplements those with fun idle chat. The conversation in X-corps is mostly about indecisions for every turn.

Which is why I like the spice of Dan episodes.

Bacon

Vinny's monologue about why using racist words is bad was pretty amazing.

It's amazing to me that people still need to be told why and how language can shape our reality but I'm happy that Vinny is using his platform to educate.

That fight was beyond terrible but the trick was to focus on one at a time, as difficult as it was.

Overall, while I liked Kiwami a lot, the combat and story are both a lot worse than 0.
0 is GOAT though

Yeah roof dude he can fuck off for sure. I think my biggest issue in the game was still the Shimano fight in Chapter 4.
I didn’t think that was as bad as the first time you fight him tbh. Then again, I wasn’t expecting the first boss fight to be such a pain in the ass.

robotrock

Banned
That fight was beyond terrible but the trick was to focus on one at a time, as difficult as it was.

Overall, while I liked Kiwami a lot, the combat and story are both a lot worse than 0.
0 is GOAT though

I have messed around with the Yakuza 6 demo and that's about the first time I felt like the combat in the series truly felt fun and satisfying. Since Kiwami 2 is on the same engine as 6, I'm hopeful.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Like honestly, the more I watch X-corps the more I feel like Dan isn't the problem. If anything it would be more fun if Alex and Abby actually adopted his approach more. Not like they should all be heels or whatever but it would be more fun if they add a bit more character to their play.

It's basically a DnD game, and Alex and Abby are like the 2 newbies who keep asking the DM what to do.

daveo42

Banned
Finishing Alex's Exquisite Corps makes me excited for when they finally capture that alien they need and
then wipe during the alien infiltration. That was the only time I've completely wiped during my XCOM playthrough so far.

Edit: This first side quest in the Kiwami QL is amazing!

swimbuff

I almost stopped playing Kiwami immediately because they literally started you off in the game with the longest fucking fetch quest ever. I like the other additions they made in the remake though, especially the ones that flesh out Nishiki's character.

Wunder

Like honestly, the more I watch X-corps the more I feel like Dan isn't the problem. If anything it would be more fun if Alex and Abby actually adopted his approach more. Not like they should all be heels or whatever but it would be more fun if they add a bit more character to their play.

It's basically a DnD game, and Alex and Abby are like the 2 newbies who keep asking the DM what to do.

that's the secret truth to exquisite corps - watching people play XCOM half decently and bumbling their way through isn't that great

I almost stopped playing Kiwami immediately because they literally started you off in the game with the longest fucking fetch quest ever. I like the other additions they made in the remake though, especially the ones that flesh out Nishiki's character.

That was such a bizarre thing, I was shocked to learn it was a new addition. Really, really awful padding right off the bat.

Top Bottom