• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb |OT32| I've been meaning to love a boat

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Yeah I kinda don't mind the randomised phases but it can kinda make the game feel like rng at a certain point.

Like, for a certain fight I had to make sure that I don't get cupcake for the final phase.

Yeah I kinda don't mind the randomised phases but it can kinda make the game feel like rng at a certain point.

Like, for a certain fight I had to make sure that I don't get cupcake for the final phase.

Yes and I did that on A LOT of fights. There were fights where I immediately restarted when I didn't get the phase where the boss would do pink attacks. It's annoying if you're going for the A-.

Antiwhippy

Eh, there's a lot of tiers to it. I have a furry artist friend that's above that tier, so there's that, but it's also my understanding that an easy (well, easier) way to get commissions as a decent freelance artist is marketing to furries.

though I imagine the better furry art would probably be on dedicated furry sites so deviantart probably still works as an insult

Depends on what you mean by deviant art tier too.

I kinda just associate it with a lot a airbrushing colouring which I always thinks look really bad.

Finished Cuphead. Man, what a game. What a fuckin' game. I thought the Dragon was my favorite boss fight animation wise until I met the mermaid with moves.

Holy

BNbZzLa.gif

SHIT

lfh0xI7.gif

What a glorious achievement this game is. Top 5 of this year, EASILY. There are a few minor but annoying things about it when it comes to the completionist in me. Like, the ranking you get after each boss is kind of luck based depending on how the fight goes because you have to parry 3 pink attacks at the very least(to fulfill an aspect of the high rank checklist) and sometimes a boss would never do a pink colored attack because it depends on your run(the phases are randomized). So, even if you were to beat a boss quick you'll probably get lower than an A- if you didn't get the chance to parry 3 times. By and large though, this game plays superbly well and looks unlike anything else when it comes to video games.

If Cuphead doesn't win best Styyyyyyyle then I'm throwing hands with whoever got it off the list.

Finished Cuphead. Man, what a game. What a fuckin' game. I thought the Dragon was my favorite boss fight animation wise until I met the mermaid with moves.

Holy

SHIT

What a glorious achievement this game is. Top 5 of this year, EASILY. There are a few minor but annoying things about it when it comes to the completionist in me. Like, the ranking you get after each boss is kind of luck based depending on how the fight goes because you have to parry 3 pink attacks at the very least(to fulfill an aspect of the high rank checklist) and sometimes a boss would never do a pink colored attack because it depends on your run(the phases are randomized). So, even if you were to beat a boss quick you'll probably get lower than an A- if you didn't get the chance to parry 3 times. By and large though, this game plays superbly well and looks unlike anything else when it comes to video games.

Having a hard time deciding whether this or Sonic Mania is my GotY so far. I think my only real problem with it is the parry thing you described, but that's only an issue in a handful of fights. Jesus, it's been a really, really good year for SEGA fans.

Also, boss tier list:

TOP TIER
Dice Palace
Phantom Express
Sally Stageplay
Ribby and Croaks

HIGH TIER

Captain Brineybeard
Grim Matchstick
Beppi the Clown
Djimmi the Great
Hilda Berg
Werner Werman

MID TIER
The Devil
Rumor Honeybottoms
Baroness Von Bon Bon
Wally Warbles
Cala Maria

LOW TIER
Dr. Kahl's Robot

TUTORIAL TIER
Root Pack
Goopy Le Grand

Mad respect. Just beautiful.
Having a hard time deciding whether this or Sonic Mania is my GotY so far. I think my only real problem with it is the parry thing you described, but that's only an issue in a handful of fights. Jesus, it's been a really, really good year for SEGA fans.

I've been smiling the entire time playing Cuphead which has been like for a few days straight now. Also, Ben wasn't lying when he said the way they did the boss rush thing was fucking cool. It was indeed fucking cool and extremely appropriate. I can't rank the bosses to you right now as I have to think about it but man, I don't think there was one bad boss fight. All of them were interesting and beautiful in their own way.

1. Golf Story
2. Yakuza Zero
3. The Surge
4. Yakuza Kiwami
5. Agents of Mayhem
6. Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon: Wildlands
7. Yooka Laylee
8. Madden NFL 18
9. NBA Playgrounds
10. Serial Cleaner

Well this is uhhh..unique.

I know...Blitz, what the fuck did you play this year.

Antiwhippy

None of my top 10 this year will have lootboxes.

Also can I just say that the new Tokimonsta albumis fucking amazing holy shit.

I've been smiling the entire time playing Cuphead which is like a few days straight now. Also, Ben wasn't lying when he said the way they did the boss rush thing was fucking cool. It was indeed fucking cool and extremely appropriate. I can't rank the bosses to you right now as I have to think about it but man, I don't think there was one bad boss fight. All of them were interesting and beautiful in their own way.

The boss rush was the most predictable thing about the entire game, but who cares since it's also probably the best thing about it.

And I dunno, Dr. Kahl's Robot treads on the bad side. The first form is one of the hardest things in the game (and one of those cases where if you destroy one part of it early on you're screwed out of parries for the rest of the fight), but then the second form is one of the easiest (even on Expert), and the final phase is longer than those two combined. It's pretty damn uneven.

One bad boss is pretty amazing for a game that breaks the Guinness Record for boss fights in a run and gun, though. Plus, the fight has a fucking Truxton reference, so I can't be that mad at it.

It has one.

After you die.

The only thing that drives me nuts about that is I hate I can't tell what guns are doing what.

The lack of it also makes me believe that "ultimate" super attacks do barely any damage as compared to regular super attacks, but I have no firm proof of this.

hamchan

Games I finished 2017:
Oxenfree
Transformers Devastation
Gravity Rush Remastered
Don Bradman Cricket 17
Yakuza 0
The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild
Nier: Automata
Puyo Puyo Tetris
Soul Calibur 5
Injustice 2
Mario Kart 8 Deluxe
Tekken 7
PUBG
Crash Bandicoot N.Sane Trilogy
The Witcher 3 Wild Hunt
Yakuza Kiwami
Uncharted the Lost Legacy
Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite

I don’t think I’ve finished 10 games this year but I will say my favorite has either been Mother 3 or Persona 5, with Yakuza 0 poised to usurp that spot if it continues being as good as it is.

So from watching Six Crazy Frights, I've come to this astute observation.

*jumpscare happens*
Abby: "FUCK-UHH"

FTFY
The boss rush was the most predictable thing about the entire game, but who cares since it's also probably the best thing about it.

And I dunno, Dr. Kahl's Robot treads on the bad side. The first form is one of the hardest things in the game (and one of those cases where if you destroy one part of it early on you're screwed out of parries for the rest of the fight), but then the second form is one of the easiest (even on Expert), and the final phase is longer than those two combined. It's pretty damn uneven.

One bad boss is pretty amazing for a game that breaks the Guinness Record for boss fights in a run and gun, though. Plus, the fight has a fucking Truxton reference, so I can't be that mad at it.

I thought about the boss rush thing but I didn't think they would do it in that way, I'm glad they did because it's elegant as fuck. Again though, I don't have any strong negative feelings about any boss but the Robot certainly was the most annoying one when it came to getting the A- because of the parry shit. Otherwise, he was fun when I fought him without having the ranks in mind.

Speaking of rankings, I'm going to return to Crash Bandicoot: Warped since I remember getting near the end of that game but never finishing it. Might as well platinum that shit.

Antiwhippy

You know I am perfectly fine admitting I'm bad at cuphead. I'm 6 hours in and I haven't even cleared the 2nd island yet.

Still fun as fuck though/

Wunder

FTFY

I thought about the boss rush thing but I didn't think they would do it in that way, I'm glad they did because it's elegant as fuck. Again though, I don't have any strong negative feelings about any boss but the Robot certainly was the most annoying one when it came to getting the A- because of the parry shit. Otherwise, he was fun when I fought him without having the ranks in mind.

Speaking of rankings, I'm going to return to Crash Bandicoot: Warped since I remember getting near the end of that game but never finishing it. Might as well platinum that shit.

he's one of the only bosses who has a consistent parry though, and middle is easily the last priority.

I thought there were some weak bosses, but nothing too bad. Specifically the theatre lady felt extremely out of place for one of the last bosses in the game

BTA

Why is his name Cuphead when his friend's name is Mugman? Either it's their head or it's who they are and I'm not sure which is better but there's a clear disparity there.

also last episode of Sunshine should be a F&40s of this

(it's actually fairly entertaining though I wish it elaborated on certain strats more)

Top Bottom