• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb |OT32| I've been meaning to love a boat

BTA

It's only been 1.5 years and I'd say for an animated Adult Swim show, that's pretty good. For contrast, The Venture Brothers released 8 episodes in the same span Rick and Morty released 3 seasons. I think Venture Bros is probably the best show on Adult Swim and one of the best adult cartoons still ever made, but their production schedule regularly makes fans think the show is cancelled after the end of every season.

As for why it seems to be blowing up is because it's part crude humor (a la Family Guy) with a heart of gold buried deep within. More people are just catching on as viewship has increased from season to season.

Eh. I'll praise Rick and Morty for its cool sci-fi anthology style setups but I'd feel weird saying it has a "heart of gold". Maybe something's changed in season 3 (I haven't watched it yet) but I've never really felt that from it.

daveo42

Banned
Eh. I'll praise Rick and Morty for its cool sci-fi anthology style setups but I'd feel weird saying it has a "heart of gold". Maybe something's changed in season 3 (I haven't watched it yet) but I've never really felt that from it.

It has some deep, poignant moments here and there from what I've seen that make it more than a collection of burbs and alien sex jokes. Maybe I'm reading too much into it or giving the show too much credit, but I think it's there, it's just buried.

9fa2D2Y.jpg

BTA

It has some deep, poignant moments here and there from what I've seen that make it more than a collection of burbs and alien sex jokes. Maybe I'm reading too much into it or giving the show too much credit, but I think it's there, it's just buried.

I guess my thought is the occasional sad or meaningful moment doesn't make it as a whole well intentioned or sincere. I'm trying not to be too cynical or cheap here (and maybe that's ironic?) but it sometimes has a layer of edge that's hard for me to look past.

It's not even buried, people just tend to latch onto things that can be meme'd and repeated. Like, Portal is funny and smart, but people just keep repeating "the cake is a lie!" and "SPAAAACE!"

I guess my thought is the occasional sad or meaningful moment doesn't make it as a whole well intentioned or sincere. I'm trying not to be too cynical or cheap here (and maybe that's ironic?) but it sometimes has a layer of edge that's hard for me to look past.

That's just Dan Harmon. Dude is depressed. Joel McHale's character on Community is very much a Rick-lite in his cynical and nihilistic views.

Hindl

Yeah the cynical nihilism where Rick is smarter than everyone and thus miserable but still always gets his way has started rubbing me the wrong way in the latest season. Only because of all of the shitty fans that think that's something to aspire to and think that they're just better and smarter than other people, and that's why they feel isolated. Luckily the finale did a good job giving them a comeuppance

freetacos

Yeah the cynical nihilism where Rick is smarter than everyone and thus miserable but still always gets his way has started rubbing me the wrong way in the latest season. Only because of all of the shitty fans that think that's something to aspire to and think that they're just better and smarter than other people, and that's why they feel isolated. Luckily the finale did a good job giving them a comeuppance

It's been said a million times by many people, but it's the same fans that also looked up to Walt in breaking bad

BTA

To elaborate further there's a point in the show where Skyler explicitly says she, in-universe, will unfairly be viewed as/called a bitch for the things she has to do to cover for Walt's irresponsible choices.

Then people who watched the show still call her a bitch for doing this and just.

it's

it's right there people

To elaborate further there's a point in the show where Skyler explicitly says she, in-universe, will unfairly be viewed as/called a bitch for the things she has to do to cover for Walt's irresponsible choices.

Then people who watched the show still call her a bitch for doing this and just.

it's

it's right there people

Oh i thought you meant that you judge Walt admirers, while at the same time you shit on Skyler.

BTA

an actor that's going to be on Riverdale has gotten death threats because fans are afraid her character will ruin their favorite ship

let me repeat that: an actual person is getting actual death threats because of what writers might do with the fictional character she portrays on a tv show

fandom is a nightmare

1. this sucks

2. the ship in question is "Bughead", which is Betty and Jughead, which inherently cannot last as Archie will need be torn between Veronica and her at some point, which is why I question them pushing romance plotlines so fast especially in a show with such a weird timeline as it means they're telling each other they love each other after like 2 weeks of dating tops

Oh i thought you meant that you judge Walt admirers, while at the same time you shit on Skyler.

Oh, whoops, can totally see how it'd read that way. Edited it to clarify; I like Skyler.

1. this sucks

2. the ship in question is "Bughead", which is Betty and Jughead, which inherently cannot last as Archie will need be torn between Veronica and her at some point, which is why I question them pushing romance plotlines so fasts especially in a show with such a weird timeline as it means they're telling each other they love each other after like 2 weeks of dating tops

So teenagers then

:p

J_Viper

New Battlefront 2 isn't very good. Old Battlefront 2 is pretty good.

It's pretty crazy how poorly it plays. I was heavily reminded of DICE's half-assed work on Medal of Honor, in terms of how unsatisfying it is to shoot things.

I haven't seen the QL yet, I wonder what Jeff's thinks.

Kalor

I think he was possibly talking about the Jeff solo house old game stream coming back on Mondays, now that Murder Island is over.

He said that they wanted to do more custom game stuff first so the solo stream will probably be when they're done with that.

BTA

oh it's pickle rick

So teenagers then

:p

Yeah, fair.

But it's especially weird because the show (at least in season 1) has had a very weird timeline where a ton of stuff has happened after the school year started but then also Homecoming is near the end of the season and Halloween hasn't happened yet so it's like... the current time of year at the latest. But it's snowed. I think it might be possible they showed more days/weeks on screen than could have actually happened given when it's set. (This is probably totally par for the course but I don't watch much television.)

...I should say that Riverdale is actually pretty great, and also it was weird to watch Twin Peaks after and not realize an actress on it plays Shelly till I saw the cast photos for The Return.

Hindl

1. this sucks

2. the ship in question is "Bughead", which is Betty and Jughead, which inherently cannot last as Archie will need be torn between Veronica and her at some point, which is why I question them pushing romance plotlines so fast especially in a show with such a weird timeline as it means they're telling each other they love each other after like 2 weeks of dating tops

Oh, whoops, can totally see how it'd read that way. Edited it to clarify; I like Skyler.
Hmmm, sounds like the last season of a popular HBO fantasy show

Top Bottom