• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb |OT33| LOOK AT THAT CORN!

Status
Not open for further replies.

jambo

stump what dope japanese music should jeff gerstman listen to

zck3eju0ncntbmoamagv.gif

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Sorry again if I’m coming across as too harsh in this. I’m maybe not in the best place mentally tonight. But also as someone who saw GG’s harassment as it happened, and followed it very closely for at least the first... maybe half a year plus? I feel very very strongly about when this stuff gets confused or erased even if by accident.

also I just spent way too long playing this tedious Nier DLC as a result of this whoops

Wait, what DLC?

For the record I don't think you're harsh at all in regards to the GG shit. I think time beared it out that it was a major mistake on their part and more people including myself should have put their feet to the fire for it.

But there are degrees to it and I kinda feel like GG is several degrees above in severity compared to the south park review.

repeater

It'll be up later tonight. Also, welcome to America! Get out while you still can!
Thanks, only staying until just before Christmas so it's a pretty short stay!

If anyone's got any must-see/do recommendations for the NY/NJ area, let me know! Also, recommendations for distinctively American junk/fast food to eat while I'm here would be welcome. (Googling for my closest Taco Bell as we speak..)

trs1080

Neo Member
I watched a few hours (yeah hours, I know, was in the background) of a twitcher playing the South Parks today and I noticed how every female on screen would get called a bitch or a whore. So that was weird. And twitch chat of course loved that it was going after the 'LOL SJWs" and enthusiastically responding 'LOL' when the notion of girl gamers was brought up in the game. The whole experience felt icky even if they 'take it to everybody'. One type of person was definitely having a great time with it and it wasn't the type of people I wanna hang out with.

BTA

Wait, what DLC?

For the record I don't think you're harsh at all in regards to the GG shit. I think time beared it out that it was a major mistake on their part and more people including myself should have put their feet to the fire for it.

But there are degrees to it and I kinda feel like GG is several degrees above in severity compared to the south park review.

The original Nier. It’s very tedious and mainly just killing a ton of enemies.

but has music remixes and it messes with the visual style in interesting ways

and also has vague narration lines that I’m pretty sure are the thing that explains
how it connects to Drakengard, based on nothing other than it talking about the one thing I know about the Drakengard ending that supposedly connects to this

and importantly also there’s a like 8 minute long stretch you can easily loop to farm rare materials you’d otherwise have to get from gathering spots on the ground

EDIT: Also to actually respond to the serious part of the post- yeah, even as the person who started talking about the review a lot, I really wouldn’t have direcfly brought the GG stuff into this beyond being an example of how sometimes it’s important to speak up even if it’s just to show what you stand for and that you support people. I dunno.

Joeku

Just getting into the postgame of Shadow of War, and boy, that first ending sure is fucking nutso shit. Can't even say I like or dislike it. It's just out there.

yami4ct

The original Nier. It’s very tedious and mainly just killing a ton of enemies.

but has music remixes and it messes with the visual style in interesting ways

and also has vague narration lines that I’m pretty sure are the thing that explains
how it connects to Drakengard, based on nothing other than it talking about the one thing I know about the Drakengard ending that supposedly connects to this

and importantly also there’s a like 8 minute long stretch you can easily loop to farm rare materials you’d otherwise have to get from gathering spots on the ground

EDIT: Also to actually respond to the serious part of the post- yeah, even as the person who started talking about the review a lot, I really wouldn’t have direcfly brought the GG stuff into this beyond being an example of how sometimes it’s important to speak up even if it’s just to show what you stand for and that you support people. I dunno.

The DLC really isn't worth playing. Just read Grimoir Nier. There's a fan translation online. Taro directly explains the ties to Drakengard in the short stories there and sets up what would become Automata.

BTA

The DLC really isn't worth playing. Just read Grimoir Nier. There's a fan translation online. Taro directly explains the ties to Drakengard in the short stories there and sets up what would become Automata.

Too late because 1. I beat it 2. I’m farming for the Plat.

And yeah, I’m gonna read the Grimoir once I’m done.

Joeku

Remember that time Jeff very patiently explained to that Gamergator on his drive in show he was clueless?

Good stuff.

Yep. I also remember the nadir of the "five guys" and Adam fucking Baldwin coining "Gamergate" and watching some youtube video where some douchenozzle afraid to show his face and instead with a picture of a Neil Patrick Harris lookalike in a powdered wig proselytized about Zoe Quinn having sex with reviewers for high scores while twitter fucking exploded, and how Giant Bomb was kinda relatively quiet about it until it crossed over a threshold where Jeff had to post that letter and they had collectively said "Hey, the parts of this community that suck? You're not part of our community," as though their relative silence hadn't helped cultivate that, or at least hadn't curbed the shittier parts.

They're better now, but like most of the game industry and the press around it, they didn't make nearly enough noise at the time. Part of fucking Milo Yiannopoulos' fame is around this garbage. It was a goddamn shitshow.

BTA

Remember that time Jeff very patiently explained to that Gamergator on his drive in show he was clueless?

Good stuff.

That was great, but is also sorta what I was getting at when I was talking about how people remain fans while still assuming the staff agree with them even though there are clear signs they don’t. Obviously this is somewhat an extreme example, but still. I don’t know if it’s just thinking you’re so right that everyone “normal” agrees with you, or that feeling that you’re close to someone who you see/hear constantly is sorta like a friend who of course would see things a similar way due to how much you agree about certain games, or what, but there were definitely a lot of fans like that (and hopefully less now).

This is why, though I know some people never learn and will just tell themselves that the staff secretly agree with their nonsense, I do think it’s valuable to like... just remind people sometimes what you stand for and what you won’t tolerate? I know that seems super basic but it means it’s harder for them to ignore it.

Then watch the Yorha stageplay before playing automata.

Is that actually a prequel that I should watch first or is it part of the story now?

do I gotta read the Drakengard manga too

(I’m playing 1 and 3 before Automata; you will not persuade me to do otherwise)

BTA

put your politics AND anime aside

it's time for BIG ROBOT FIGHT

nothing says not politics and not anime quite like turning robots developed in two different countries into a needless matter of patriotism

Yep. I also remember the nadir of the "five guys" and Adam fucking Baldwin coining "Gamergate" and watching some youtube video where some douchenozzle afraid to show his face and instead with a picture of a Neil Patrick Harris lookalike in a powdered wig proselytized about Zoe Quinn having sex with reviewers for high scores while twitter fucking exploded, and how Giant Bomb was kinda relatively quiet about it until it crossed over a threshold where Jeff had to post that letter and they had collectively said "Hey, the parts of this community that suck? You're not part of our community," as though their relative silence hadn't helped cultivate that, or at least hadn't curbed the shittier parts.

They're better now, but like most of the game industry and the press around it, they didn't make nearly enough noise at the time. Part of fucking Milo Yiannopoulos' fame is around this garbage. It was a goddamn shitshow.

Him and several other “big” names became big in the alt-right/white supremacist/conspiracy community as a result, yeah. Which isn’t to say that other people wouldn’t be there instead but... they built their following off GG.

...man, I really need to go check out the ancillary Nier stuff already. I've had a few tabs open for the last six frigging months lol.

I'm just delighted that something so fucking weird has found an audience. (And also mildly worried that its sudden and significant success could ultimately hold back that weirdness in future projects? I guess time will tell.)

Haruhi for the Soul
I've never seen the show but I've listened to that and the other song a thousand frigging times.

Edit: I had forgotten about the "silence isn't complicity" thing. Which, yeah, wasn't a great look at the time and is even harder to swallow in 2017.

Oakinn

I just beat the
robot
in cuphead.

Started the fight and thought okay well this is where I get off with this game, and 10 tries later I got him.

This freaking game. Every time I'm about to give up it pulls me back in.

Is that actually a prequel that I should watch first or is it part of the story now?

do I gotta read the Drakengard manga too

(I’m playing 1 and 3 before Automata; you will not persuade me to do otherwise)

Please please just read The Dark Id's Let's Plays of the Drakengard games.

Playing them only leads to suffering.

BTA

that southpark is politically objectionable

My thought isn’t really that I think they secretly think it’s objectionable though? I don’t think Dan’s keeping down Alex’s secret opinion etc. etc. It’s more that I think South Park gets away with things they and a lot of other journalists/reviewers/whatever would in fact object to otherwise. I mean, beyond just South Park’s idealogy as whole, I think there are jokes that South Park makes that no one would find acceptable at all if anything other than South Park made them. But it’s ok because South Park has always made those jokes... even though it was always bad the first time it made them, but now it’s nostalgic, so...

I just want them to examine that more, and their nostalgia, and actually say something about it. The paragraph in Dan’s review that more or less started this discussion was him listing off some at the very least tone deaf things and then not actually commenting on it at all.

Megasoum

Banned
Fucking A... Just checked and my old Android Phone I haven't used in 2 years has NFC compatibility....

Time to buy some stickers on Amazon!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom