• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb |OT33| LOOK AT THAT CORN!

Status
Not open for further replies.
i'm playing on nemesis and it's still pretty easy. only died because they lock you in boxes where health regen is difficult

I feel like there's so much blatant bullshit next to the Arkham series. Arkham does an amazing job at making enemies attacks and how they inform the tactics you need to use against them even when you're facing huge groups. Mordor is all about arrows out of nowhere with no dodge queues, ogres attacking offscreen and your buttons screwing up, orcs learning your tactics (which is cool) then putting you in a position where you can't do anything against them because you need to use environmental triggers and none of them are present.

On the last Beastcast Dan said it has the best Batman combat out there and nobody asked him why. That really irked me because nothing about the Mordor combat is better; from the brawls to the ability to eliminate targets with stealth.

It is still too easy on Nemesis which takes away from the nemesis system. When I first started playing and was getting my head around what to do it worked really well. Now the only times I have had struggles are certain fortress leaders.

Health regen is easy when you get that certain ability.

It is still too easy on Nemesis which takes away from the nemesis system. When I first started playing and was getting my head around what to do it worked really well. Now the only times I have had struggles are certain fortress leaders.

Health regen is easy when you get that certain ability.

Which ability?

Jintor

I think the main thing is actually it's too easy to escape from shit. I've been verge of death a lot on Nemesis because they hit really hard and you have very little health, but so long as you're not trapped in a box it's super easy to just say 'fuck this', run up the nearest wall (they're basically incapable of hitting you while you're parkouring around really), lose visibility for half a second or find a guy on his own, and eat his brains.

They need, I don't know - wards, special units that can easily get you if you're parkouring, ways to force the player to stand their ground or something. I mean, I get why they're not there, it might be easy to backfire. But still.

I'd love to see a game with a combat system like Absolver. Where AI could actually learn how to beat the tactics you use with one specific system and it has the depth for you to be able to overcome said AI. SoW is just the cast of a checklist of systems where the AI learning is them just crossing one of them out.

If my strategy was to jump over an orc and attack and their response was to let me do the jump then counter that would be rad. Then when I use a slower attack after I jump over them, they learn to do a quick attack that would be way better than no more jumps.

Jintor

I think there's one buried in OT/Community somewhere. I can't recall the exact search term - tabletop rpg maybe? It's not very active as I recall.

Jintor

there's plenty of places out there for play by post games. Gaf has a still ongoing pathfinder game I think and I was running a Dungeon World game for a while. DnD is far and away the most popular as well

Jintor

by the by, anybody remember where else jeremiah has turned up? I seem to recall he mysteriously appeared in a stream or something.

Is there a quick and easy way to get into a DnD game on the net? I've played CRPGs since Baldurs and have always wanted to give it a shot.

From my reasearch, I've seen a site called 'roll20' which mimics DND pretty well(And people use it over the net to play DND). I dunno about any matchmaking or that though.

i understand why some people would fault shadow of war for still being too easy and thus not finding the nemesis system to be as involved. it's perfectly reasonable to want the game to be challenging enough that the triggers happen naturally.

personally, i do enough strategizing to not have a totally rough time fighting captains and warchiefs, but i also stop short of optimizing everything and at times just wade into a battle without thinking about it for the sole purpose of making things more interesting with the nemesis system. it's worked pretty great.

for context, i had the same issue with the middle and latter parts of shadow of mordor where i wasn't finding any of the combat challenging. i've also died numerous times already in shadow of war in the 10+ hours i've put into it, finding it definitely more difficult than the first game.

agreed that the boss rooms for fortress sieges could do without the infinitely respawning trash mobs.

and yeah, spirit of jazz is on point with the general criticisms of the combat design in both shadow of wardor games. it's a visual mess. the arkham combat also just feels more impactful whenever you hit somebody. force feedback on the controller is more noticeable with every strike. the default attacks in mordor feel very light in contrast, with only the special moves having an oomph behind them.

all that said, i've been having a generally good time with shadow of war meeting, fighting, controlling, and getting betrayed by all sorts of orcs. nothing else like it right now!

these story missions though. really generic af, and you dying in them and getting a game over screen really shows how much they're at odds with the core design that a lot of people really like.

Dany

Banned
If there is a "would you rather" but in the New shite or fright I'm going to cancel my sub. I've said my piece, let's cut it

Anyone here watch GB stuff over Chromecast? I'd like to watch the videos at the highest bitrate but my gen 1 stick can't handle it at all. Does gen 2 work better or do I need to shell out for an Ultra?

oti

Banned
Anyone here watch GB stuff over Chromecast? I'd like to watch the videos at the highest bitrate but my gen 1 stick can't handle it at all. Does gen 2 work better or do I need to shell out for an Ultra?

My Gen 2 stick has been pretty bad with GB so I don't use it for that anymore. My Amazon Fire TV 4K with Ethernet is way superior.

My Gen 2 stick has been pretty had with GB so I don't use it for that anymore. My Amazon Fire TV 4K with Ethernet is way superior.

Cheers. The Ultra also has ethernet and it should have enough power to handle anything you throw at it, so maybe I'll grab one of those.

I could also just wait a bit and get a nice TV with integrated Chromecast..

Tubobutts

I recruited a captain, got the tutorial mission for using captains to kill other captains and on the way to start the mission the captain betrayed me.

kiguel182

EDIT:

This #metoo stuff is heartbreaking for sure. I have a sister so she tells me stories about her getting cat called and stuff like that (and other female friends also tell me stuff) but it's still terrible hearing all these other experiences and how pretty much every women suffers from this.

As a man there's this entire reality that I have no experience with and maybe I even enable these situations. Personally there's definitely room to improve and help women and reflect on my own behaviours.

It takes courage that I can't even comprehend to speak up like they are doing. A lot of respect for everyone.

I'm looking forward to whatever GBeast has planned for Wednesday's stream.

They finished Sunshine?

Man, I'm so behind content.

I think what I would put forward as a criticism of the design of SoW. I mean, you can just kill every warchief before launching the fortress assault then just cap each spot. Why would anyone not do that? I wish there were some more mechanics there that made that a lot more difficult.

Online raiding is a lot of fun though, its just a shame that it doesnt end up playing into the nemesis system.

Can GBeast function without Vinny? I guess we'll find out.
LRpER3c.gif

hamchan

I came home after a hard day's work and playing sport to play some e-motorsports with Gran Turismo Sport and there's a 12gb day one update.

def sim

love that the east crew ended the cuphead stream with too sweeting

like is that a thing they do off stream also or what lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom