• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb Thread 2: A thread on a popular internet message board

Status
Not open for further replies.
My credit card expired and my bank for some reason hasn't sent me a new one. I am going down there today all furious, maybe bring a baseball bat and tell them it's their reason I missed Random PC Game live.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Wait, so in the new jartime Jeff mentiones recording a podcast about the cross assualt controversy? What episode was that? I listen to every episode but do not remember it.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Ha, whoa shit. Must have zoned out or fallen asleep or something. I just finished listening to it this afternoon.

MG310

2141810-vinny_super.png

Vinny is slowly morphing into Robert Duvall...or was Robert Duvall future Vinny all along.

LiQuid!

I proudly and openly admit to wishing death upon the mothers of people I don't like
God I loved this TNT. I don't think it's possible for it to have gotten more "Dave and Vinny" than it already was. Started out a noble enough endeavor, quickly devolved into trying to play an obtuse, PC, strategy game (complete with IP swapping!!!), then further devolved into just an excuse to let Vinny play with his new flight stick.

The only way it could have possibly been made better is if Drew had showed up with a racing wheel.

LCfiner

God I loved this TNT. I don't think it's possible for it to have gotten more "Dave and Vinny" than it already was. Started out a noble enough endeavor, quickly devolved into trying to play an obtuse, PC, strategy game (complete with IP swapping!!!), then further devolved into just an excuse to let Vinny play with his new flight stick.

The only way it could have possibly been made better is if Drew had showed up with a racing wheel.

I'll need to watch this, beer in hand, at a leisurely pace over the weekend

Jokab

Brad gonna be at State of the game, the premier Starcraft 2 podcast, live at PAX:

http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/viewmessage.php?topic_id=317073

God damn I'm an artist. Anyways, State of the Game is packing up and going to Boston for PAX East zomG!

We have quite the panel of competitive gaming badasses coming with us:

JP McDaniel -- MLG Caster / Producer, Host of State of the Game
Sean 'Day[9]' Plott -- Caster, CEO DAY[9] TV
Dan 'Artosis' Stemkoski -- GSL Caster and one-half of Tastosis
Geoff 'iNcontroL' Robninson -- Pro SC2 Player for Team Evil Geniuses
Mark 'MarkMan' Julio -- MadCatz Sponsorship Manager (he ESPORTS now)
Kevin Lin -- COO, Twitch.TV
Marcus 'DjWHEAT' Graham -- Caster, Twitch.TV Rep, OMG.tv CEO
Brad Shoemaker -- Editor, GiantBomb.com

And of course the time, day, and location!

------->Wyvern Theatre, Sunday 10:30am - 11:30am on April 8th, 2012<-------

As of 3/1/2012 there are still Sunday passes available and you can go to HERE register and purchase ($35)

While I won't make the actual show notes until the weekend of (just so everything is fresh) we do have some general themes (AKA something PAX requested for their brochure)

Competitive gaming has always been a community shunned by mainstream press but it's still continued to grow. In 2011 we saw the biggest growth for the industry from all angles. We're looking to get even more mainstream gaming eyes on the industry by featuring journalists, casters, players, and other industry professionals for a morning of laughs and learning as we talk all things competitive gaming.

What I really want to know is what do people want to see us talk about at a panel like this? The sky is really the limit and we only have one hour, but it should be a good time. We plan to record audio of this and I would like to record a video version as well, even if it is just a static camera because not sure if we'll have a camera man.

Thanks guys and see you there!

Edit: Last year we had people line up an hour prior to the show and they weren't let in because of how fast it filled up. Get there early if you want a seat. The theater (as far as I know) isn't that large.

That's gotta be exciting for Brad being the Starcraft fan he is, the rest of the cast are some of the biggest non-playing stars of the foreign SC2 community.

Jb

That's gotta be exciting for Brad being the Starcraft fan he is, the rest of the cast are some of the biggest non-playing stars of the foreign SC2 community.

That's really cool :) I don't know shit about SC2 MP but I'll be listening for him.

Ceebs

Brad lost his Mass Effect saves due to usb failure. It probably would have just brought back painful memories.

Not sure why Brad is doesn't just pick up the PC version of ME3 and grab a ME2 save file with all of his choices if he really cares about it that much.

Dany

Banned
Not sure why Brad is doesn't just pick up the PC version of ME3 and grab a ME2 save file with all of his choices if he really cares about it that much.

I feel like that's cheat it in a way. I have the same Shepard that I'VE played through both games, playing it using a editor seems false for some reason.

I feel like that's cheat it in a way. I have the same Shepard that I'VE played through both games, playing it using a editor seems false for some reason.

Yes indeed, I have been keeping my Shepard real as well. Can't wait for the next one! I was slacking and never got any of the DLC for 2 so today I got it all and will be plowing through it to prepare for 3. I played one fire walker mission, I dunno about that but hopefully the rest is better.

Listening to the recent Jar Time made me really want to see all the drafts of their reviews and the non-reviewer of the game's feedback.

After listening to JAR, I do not understand Jeff's love of the Vita digital-discounts. It is only really 10% off the recommended retail price, and many stores already discount much more of that. You can still buy vastly cheaper on Day 1 without going the download route.

Vita's online store really needs to adopt a steam sale approach before it gets any solid praise IMO. I would be more than happy to build up a silly backlog (like I already have on Steam), if they start doing decent sales.

If they are smart they could run great sales, and have people buy the games on PS3 before they even get a Vita, locking them into the platform before they even buy it.

f0rk

After listening to JAR, I do not understand Jeff's love of the Vita digital-discounts. It is only really 10% off the recommended retail price, and many stores already discount much more of that. You can still buy vastly cheaper on Day 1 without going the download route.

Vita's online store really needs to adopt a steam sale approach before it gets any solid praise IMO. I would be more than happy to build up a silly backlog (like I already have on Steam), if they start doing decent sales.

If they are smart they could run great sales, and have people buy the games on PS3 before they even get a Vita, locking them into the platform before they even buy it.

It's not been out a month yet you can't do more than 33% sales now.

AcridMeat

Banned
Glad Brad called out the fighting game coach. Discussion was straying in a rather too sympathetic direction.

There's a bit more discussion to be had in dissecting the intent behind a sentiment as opposed to calling someone a loon and moving on.

After listening to the podcast today, I have to agree with both of you. On the one hand, it's good that they were giving some insight into what that guy was trying to say, on the other hand, I think Brad did the right thing in reminding them that what he was saying was ridiculous.

Duffyside

Banned
After listening to the podcast today, I have to agree with both of you. On the one hand, it's good that they were giving some insight into what that guy was trying to say, on the other hand, I think Brad did the right thing in reminding them that what he was saying was ridiculous.

I actually wanted to commend Patrick, and Jeff especially, for not just doing the lazy, easy "look at this guy and hate him" shit I was expecting. I was pleasantly surprised they approached it like adults and tried to look deeper, examine the issue, discuss it, etc.

And I like Brad quite a bit, but I did find that "just for the record, we're giving him way too much credit; he's a reprehensible piece of garbage and that's it" to be just that. Lazy. And exaggerated, in my opinion.

When I see this Aris guy, I don't see a "reprehensible human being," like he were a violent criminal or something. I see an extremely awkward guy who is isolated and never around girls, and exists in this vacuum on the net where he has been allowed to get away with dumb shit like this, thus is encouraged to do so. And he's a poor speaker and can't articulate his point.

He was certainly in the wrong, but I don't think it stems from being a complete piece of shit, and I bet he wouldn't act like that again. I also bet, sadly, that this will be yet another case of the internet justice being far more severe and unjust than the initial injustice itself.

AcridMeat

Banned
I actually wanted to commend Patrick, and Jeff especially, for not just doing the lazy, easy "look at this guy and hate him" shit I was expecting. I was pleasantly surprised they approached it like adults and tried to look deeper, examine the issue, discuss it, etc.

And I like Brad quite a bit, but I did find that "just for the record, we're giving him way too much credit; he's a reprehensible piece of garbage and that's it" to be just that. Lazy. And exaggerated, in my opinion.

When I see this Aris guy, I don't see a "reprehensible human being," like he were a violent criminal or something. I see an extremely awkward guy who is isolated and never around girls, and exists in this vacuum on the net where he has been allowed to get away with dumb shit like this, thus is encouraged to do so. And he's a poor speaker and can't articulate his point.

He was certainly in the wrong, but I don't think it stems from being a complete piece of shit, and I bet he wouldn't act like that again. I also bet, sadly, that this will be yet another case of the internet justice being far more severe and unjust than the initial injustice itself.
You left out the fact that Brad mentioned this isn't the first time he's done this. I should have specified that Brad went a bit extreme in his description as well, but my point was that his counterpoint was needed as well.

Agnogenic

Neo Member
Glad Brad called out the fighting game coach. Discussion was straying in a rather too sympathetic direction.

I felt the exact same way. Jeff and Patrick both had good points and explained the situation well, but I was happy to hear Brad just call it like it is.

Darklord

Banned
Sigh. It seems the WM doesn't think I'm a subscriber or something. I use IDM to download the videos but it locks me out of the HD versions now. And streaming keeps saying "HD-video is a subscriber only feature". Even when I try and grab the entire page it says the HD video can't be found. Lame...

Sigh. It seems the WM doesn't think I'm a subscriber or something. I use IDM to download the videos but it locks me out of the HD versions now. And streaming keeps saying "HD-video is a subscriber only feature". Even when I try and grab the entire page it says the HD video can't be found. Lame...

Have you iTunes (or a similar program that you can subscribe to a RSS feed)? If so, just put the the correct HD RRS feed into that (list here - http://www.giantbomb.com/feeds/), and you can get all the video you want, and they will download automatically - no need for the manual stuff

Based on everything he said and the videos of him in action, I 100% agree with Brad's assessment of this guy but, I also think, examining the issue to try and figure out where such a warped attitude could come from, is something worth talking about. They gave context to the situation but that doesn't take this guy off the hook and you don't have to be a violent criminal to be a reprehensible human being.

Based on everything he said and the videos of him in action, I 100% agree with Brad's assessment of this guy but, I also think, examining the issue to try and figure out where such a warped attitude could come from, is something worth talking about. They gave context to the situation but that doesn't take this guy off the hook and you don't have to be a violent criminal to be a reprehensible human being.

The conversation was perfect. To Jeff and Patrick's measured, analytic take. To Brad summing it up with, "yeah, but fuck that guy." Both needed to be said.

Sexism is not an integral part of any gaming community. Brad had every right to call him that. Aris is a terrible person from what I can tell. To indulge the "views" of someone like that on equality of the sexes or acceptable social behavior is giving them way too much credit. He's ignorant and proud to be so, apparently.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom